3It was OK
13.1%
2Disliked it
2.6%
1Hated it
0.7%
Average 4.3
153 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 25, 2009 4:45 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Zwei bring Cal to his place and it looks like she is going to be there for a while, but then the people from Inferno got their hands on Lizzie and came into his place. Cal accidentally make some noise which forced Zwei to draw out his gun on his allies just to prevent them from checking it out. Well, there shouldn't be much problem if he betrays the organisation anyway because he's so skillful^^
ShanaFlameJun 25, 2009 5:06 PM
Jun 27, 2009 2:59 PM

Sep 2007
Hmmmm well it looks like that Cal is going to be a mainstay for the remainder of the series unless they pull a tragic death on her.

Do you do anything else with discussion threads other than summarizing the episode just so you can start them?
Jun 27, 2009 4:36 PM

Oct 2008
I think that best defence for Reiji would be simply - "If you don't believe me, I can just kill you all, no problem". xD

And again, big thanks to Inferno for fast release!
Jun 27, 2009 4:40 PM

Jun 2008
Interesting episode.
I don't think that Zwei will really train her to be an assassin.
Jun 27, 2009 5:07 PM

Sep 2007
kie_ said:
Interesting episode.
I don't think that Zwei will really train her to be an assassin.
The preview makes it look like she'll get some gun training though =o (at the very least)

OHHhhh this is gettig GOOOD

The student becomes the teacher.....but unlike Ein....he has a clear conscious =p
THE IRONY! =D
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Jun 27, 2009 5:36 PM
christmas cake

May 2008
I was hoping for a sooner than one week release on this with the raw having already come out. Awesome!
Jun 27, 2009 7:17 PM

Aug 2007
I was already expecting a twist like this one but doesn't make it less interesting. Sure the girl has some potential since she is just like Ein\Elen, and that clock scene was quite interesting... But the idea of a loli-assassin... kinda meh in my mind... Let's see how Reiji teaches her, and in what points will she support her (side by side, stealth, information gathering, sniping, there are a lot of ways he can put her assisting him.)
Jun 27, 2009 7:55 PM

Mar 2009
Sigh, wish Ein would come back...
Jun 27, 2009 8:08 PM

Jan 2008
Evlon said:
Sigh, wish Ein would come back...

This particular episode didn't draw me in as as all the previous ones did. It seemed like a recycled idea in a new frame. Nothing new, nothing spectacular either. I wonder what he's was doing to do with the money though.
Jun 27, 2009 8:51 PM
May 2008
Kind of cool episode with the suspicions of betrayal and looks like there will be a new phantom soon. I'm still waiting for Ein/Elen's return... but I have a feeling that she will return as an antagonist... or at least opposing the side that Reiji is currently "cooperating" with.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jun 27, 2009 9:16 PM

Apr 2009
Reji/Cal interaction, i think that shows what kind of effect she already has on him positively. Also Lizzie getting busted which leads Isaac to Reji's place which resulted in a tense moment their. Cal realized the situation and ended up telling the truth. They were definitely implying talent with the clock thing. And last that was quite a performance Reji put on for Cal, lol @ Isaac having to basically go along.
DreddJun 27, 2009 9:20 PM
Jun 27, 2009 9:42 PM

Jul 2008
Static said:
I was already expecting a twist like this one but doesn't make it less interesting. Sure the girl has some potential since she is just like EinElen, and that clock scene was quite interesting... But the idea of a loli-assassin... kinda meh in my mind... Let's see how Reiji teaches her, and in what points will she support her (side by side, stealth, information gathering, sniping, there are a lot of ways he can put her assisting him.)

I don't think that it's that interesting. But I am curious to see how the Cal will do as an assassin.
Jun 27, 2009 11:28 PM
Apr 2008
I don't like this already. Loli-hamburger girl getting made into Phantom Nummer drei. Hopefully it doesn't get much worse from here. I personally liked the Ein/Zwei combo more, and so do many others.

The rest of the episode was just meh. I wonder what the Cal did with the clock, I'm sorta confused.
Jun 28, 2009 12:32 AM
Mar 2009
Loli assassin. Talk about an enjoyment killer. I'll try to keep an open mind, but damn, this is one stereotype I abhor.

And Ein HAS to come back! The rules of anime demand it.
Jun 28, 2009 2:11 AM
Mar 2008
It looks like the Drei arc will come to pass :(

Jun 28, 2009 2:29 AM
Dec 2007
I thoroughly enjoyed this episde. Great stage play by Reiji indeed. That was some quite cool development, even if the direction was mysteriously much less impressive than the latter episode. Well, as long as Ein stays dead, the series is just fine for me.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 28, 2009 3:39 AM
Jan 2009
Tensaiga said:
Loli assassin. Talk about an enjoyment killer. I'll try to keep an open mind, but damn, this is one stereotype I abhor.

And Ein HAS to come back! The rules of anime demand it.

Just what I've been thinking.
Jun 28, 2009 3:48 AM

Jan 2009
Al right, Loli assassin Cal. I prefer Ein & Zwei combo but I'm curious to see what will become of Cal. Nice episode and the next one looks promising.
Jun 28, 2009 5:11 AM

Jul 2008
After Zwei being a manwhore and now a pedo? This anime ruining on me. That loli bitch needs to die and bring back Ein asap.
Jun 28, 2009 8:44 AM
Mar 2008
Cal WTF! love this eps.
Jun 28, 2009 9:45 AM

May 2009
Intersting development this episode. I hope Reiji trains Cal in to a Phantom and then they both turn on Inferno or something.
Jun 28, 2009 9:51 AM

Aug 2008
I really don't like this episode. It was full of contriviality, and the worst/best part is that even the idiot Issac saw through it, but Inferno was just like, "Mmmm, ok. Do whatever." Cal is that annoying child character that softens up the person she tags along's image, but since Reji's new "badassness" is totally from left field, it feels unnecessary and forced.

I'm not liking it thus far.
Jun 28, 2009 10:50 AM

May 2009
I can see why boss man would start salivating over the idea of another Phantom, but Reiji's explanations were flimsy at best. A simple "trust me" probably would've had slightly more credibility than all the excuses, but oh well. That aside, I enjoyed the episode and have no problem with Cal. I'm interested to see what she kinda skills she has beyond being able to take things apart and put them back together again. I do miss Ein/Erin/Elen quite a bit, but I'm sure she'll be back soon enough.
Jun 28, 2009 11:06 AM
May 2009
Reijj seemed i little bit passive towards Cal which surprised me.But since I like her sort of charakter i complety ok with her being at the side of Rejj.
I guess I like her more then Ein.
Jun 28, 2009 11:30 AM

Feb 2008
What at fascinating turn of events! This series went up on rating to a 9 now because of it. It will be interesting to see if Phantom can turn Cal into an assassin who keeps her humanity. If it works she'll be the first in Inferno to do it of her own will and without Scyth(where is that guy? :s) Love Phantoms theme song XD

Can't wait for the next ep, this one came out so fast!
Jun 28, 2009 12:10 PM

Mar 2009
this was a good episode.

Cal is an interesting character to look forward to.
Jun 28, 2009 2:10 PM

Apr 2009
Loli-Assasin.. i want Ein back.
Jun 28, 2009 2:11 PM

Jan 2009
Loli-assasin = win :p
Jun 28, 2009 5:38 PM

Dec 2008
Did anyone else get the feeling that Cal staying so readily at Reiji's place (AND taking a shower within the first five minutes of stepping in there...and forgetting a towel...) was creepy and disturbing? Even the way she was dressed was disturbing, what with the off-the-shoulder shirts and whatnot. It wasn't cute at all. It's like every child molester's dream, and I wasn't fond of that kind of atmosphere. Cal really needs to get a clue. She's just fortunate that Reiji isn't out to get her or anything.

And then, this:

noteDhero said:
It was full of contriviality, and the worst/best part is that even the idiot Issac saw through it, but Inferno was just like, "Mmmm, ok. Do whatever." Cal is that annoying child character that softens up the person she tags along's image, but since Reji's new "badassness" is totally from left field, it feels unnecessary and forced.

I'm not liking it thus far.

Enjoyment-wise, it was all right, although predictable.
AeternaJun 28, 2009 5:43 PM
Jun 28, 2009 6:43 PM
christmas cake

May 2008
Aeterna said:
Did anyone else get the feeling that Cal staying so readily at Reiji's place (AND taking a shower within the first five minutes of stepping in there...and forgetting a towel...) was creepy and disturbing?

Well, I seem to remember my Japanese instructor tell me that offering someone a bath is a normal part of traditional hospitality, but even ignoring that she did arrive at his place with the idea she'd be staying there, and bathing in the evening is more common than in the morning over there. Forgetting the towel and stuff was a bit suspicious, but we had to set up that Lizzie pedo-joke on the phone.

I asked a friend of mine who'd played the game how old she is and he said 14, she just has a loli body.
Jun 28, 2009 7:58 PM

Mar 2009
nx6 said:
Aeterna said:
Did anyone else get the feeling that Cal staying so readily at Reiji's place (AND taking a shower within the first five minutes of stepping in there...and forgetting a towel...) was creepy and disturbing?

Well, I seem to remember my Japanese instructor tell me that offering someone a bath is a normal part of traditional hospitality, but even ignoring that she did arrive at his place with the idea she'd be staying there, and bathing in the evening is more common than in the morning over there. Forgetting the towel and stuff was a bit suspicious, but we had to set up that Lizzie pedo-joke on the phone.

I asked a friend of mine who'd played the game how old she is and he said 14, she just has a loli body.

The series has gotten a bit interesting.

the guy in the glasses is a traitor and a loser, he should just DIE already. Also sythe is back with his new pet :/ we all saw it on ep 12/13. It was obvious... also i think Cal is either a GENIUS (took apart that clock and built it again?) jeez.. anyways i hope SHE DOESN'T BETRAY zwei :(

///////

btw i don't like that zwei is so soft now, but he does show his badass moments. its like lizzy said, "hes being toyed by a little girl", well somesort of what she said.
Jun 28, 2009 8:31 PM

Apr 2008
is Ein (Elen) really dead?
Jun 28, 2009 8:32 PM

Dec 2008
nx6 said:
Aeterna said:

1. They're in America, not Japan. Reiji is technically Japanese, but since he's lost all his past memories, he'd essentially be American in terms of cultural norms and such. Cal also seems American.

2. Even if it's traditional hospitality in Japan to offer a bath, it's still creepy in that they just met on the street by Cal's sister's death site. I'm older than Cal is but I would never go to some random guy's place to stay over and take showers there.

3. Bathing morning or evening has nothing to do with the creepiness of the situation. Basically, Cal walks in, takes a quick look around, and then wants a shower. At least wait a bit!

4. Cal is 14? I was actually expecting a couple years older, but regardless, 14 is still very young.
Jun 28, 2009 10:48 PM
Jun 2009
Aeterna said:

Really?
You know what bugs me about anime types? The fact they believe everything follows plot sets and never seem to enjoy the actual shows because of it.

Were you really sitting there last week thinking, "Damn Cal is going to wind up being a loli-assassin after Reiji realizes she has a huge killing streak in her?"

Come on... no you weren't. That was a completely huge twist I did not see coming at all. The opening to the last episode was borderline art in its purest form. I'm sure you found something wrong with it though.
Though I personally don't want a Cal phantom (unless they make her "more evil" looking), I can't claim I saw it coming or that I had any idea what plans they had for this girl in the series. I thought she would just tag along for awhile as a general annoyance (much to the detriment of the series), but instead she could offer a very interesting and rarely used plot device.

Everything is predictable though, just stop SAYING it.... yeeeesh. Did you watch Spirited Away and go "Oh this is dumb I totally know she's going to get her parents back at the end of the movie!!!"... If you did I feel sorry for you.
Jun 28, 2009 11:22 PM

Feb 2008
Geeze, so much anger....

Cal isn't Ein, but I think all this "loli assassin" talk is misleading. Personally, I think Ein survived (though the "how" is a mystery) and will eventually return, but for now I'm simply accepting that she's "dead" and that Cal will be staying in the series as the new Phantom assassin and that she'll be changing dramatically through the experience. If you want to enjoy the show, I suggest you do the same.
Really, have a bit of faith in the show. Do you think anyone would simply ruin such a great story by doing something like that?

Personally, I thought this episode was relieving. I wasn't a fan of the last episode, but I think I can see the direction of the show getting back on track in this one.
Jun 28, 2009 11:27 PM
Jun 2009
i wish Ein come back to
Jun 28, 2009 11:34 PM

Feb 2008
Aeterna said:

Did anyone else get the feeling that Cal staying so readily at Reiji's place (AND taking a shower within the first five minutes of stepping in there...and forgetting a towel...) was creepy and disturbing? Even the way she was dressed was disturbing, what with the off-the-shoulder shirts and whatnot. It wasn't cute at all. It's like every child molester's dream, and I wasn't fond of that kind of atmosphere. Cal really needs to get a clue. She's just fortunate that Reiji isn't out to get her or anything.

You do have to consider that Cal isn't your typical airhead loli. They spent quite a bit of the episode establishing this. She's been living with a prostitute, she had an abusive father, she's been recently traumatized, and she's stuck in a desperate situation (e.g. she has no home to return to). Furthermore, while she plays off a carefree facade, she's actually a very troubled and scheming girl.

The only truly strange thing about it (aside from Cal's small fortune) is Reiji's willingness to help her. Whether it was truly because he saw her "potential" or for different reasons has yet to be seen.
Jun 28, 2009 11:50 PM

Oct 2008
They should have just kept Ein instead. I REALLY hate when people call everything cliche, but as others have said, the whole little girl gets emotionless killer to soften up thing has been done way too many times.

Why did he even protect her? Depending on when he really learned she was lying, his actions with her don't seem in keeping with his "post ein (supposed) death" character. He already killed at least one young child even when he was softer so him humoring some young girl and even bringing her back to his safe house is just about as believable as the "10 minute stalking scythe master so he kills ein" scene.

It doesn't ruin the show, but i'm at a loss for discovering why people think it doesn't hurt it, much less actually improves it.
Jun 29, 2009 12:44 AM

Dec 2008
Skeptic said:
Aeterna said:

Really?
You know what bugs me about anime types? The fact they believe everything follows plot sets and never seem to enjoy the actual shows because of it.

Were you really sitting there last week thinking, "Damn Cal is going to wind up being a loli-assassin after Reiji realizes she has a huge killing streak in her?"

Come on... no you weren't. That was a completely huge twist I did not see coming at all. The opening to the last episode was borderline art in its purest form. I'm sure you found something wrong with it though.
Though I personally don't want a Cal phantom (unless they make her "more evil" looking), I can't claim I saw it coming or that I had any idea what plans they had for this girl in the series. I thought she would just tag along for awhile as a general annoyance (much to the detriment of the series), but instead she could offer a very interesting and rarely used plot device.

Everything is predictable though, just stop SAYING it.... yeeeesh. Did you watch Spirited Away and go "Oh this is dumb I totally know she's going to get her parents back at the end of the movie!!!"... If you did I feel sorry for you.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth =_=; Let me explain myself.

Even if it was predictable, I still said it was enjoyable, didn't I? Predictable doesn't necessarily equate to a bad plot. It all depends on execution. Using your example, of course I could predict the fate of Chihiro's parents in Spirited Away, but the execution of the movie was beautiful and I very much enjoyed it. Phantom sometimes succeeds at good execution, but other times it fails, which is why I get critical of this series when it does.

(And, actually, if you go back to the Episode 11 Discussion thread, you can see that some people actually predicted things about Cal that ended up being true. It may be that some have played the game, however.)

For the record, I didn't predict she was going to become the Phantom's next assistant or how it was going to happen. However, the whole "Cal befriending Reiji and changing him for the better" deal I knew was coming, and it's actually an anime character-type I tend to get annoyed with. This is especially given Reiji's current "Post-Ein (supposed) death" personality, as Falatorx pointed out.

Phantom, in my opinion, is a series with a lot of potential, and yes, I actually can acknowledge when it does things well. A shocker, I know! I did like the opening nightscape in the previous episode, and there are some good (as well as bad) animation sequences. In terms of plot, it's had some really good cliffhangers and plot points, but in the end, it has yet to really deliver something special for me that makes this series truly memorable. Cliche scenarios, such as the relationship between Cal and Reiji (of what we've seen so far, anyway - it may change later), don't exactly help Phantom break out of its shell, either.

mr_utopia_man said:
You do have to consider that Cal isn't your typical airhead loli. They spent quite a bit of the episode establishing this. She's been living with a prostitute, she had an abusive father, she's been recently traumatized, and she's stuck in a desperate situation (e.g. she has no home to return to). Furthermore, while she plays off a carefree facade, she's actually a very troubled and scheming girl.

The only truly strange thing about it (aside from Cal's small fortune) is Reiji's willingness to help her. Whether it was truly because he saw her "potential" or for different reasons has yet to be seen.

This occurred to me, and it's true in that it does make it more believable. Even so, the implications still makes me go *squick* a bit =/
Jun 29, 2009 1:37 AM

Feb 2009
damn i miss ein, it just doesn't feel the same without her.

should be interesting how this cal ordeal plays out.
Jun 29, 2009 7:17 AM

Apr 2008
this series is getting exciting after every episode xD cool~

Jun 29, 2009 10:08 AM

May 2008
I'm still not totally used to Reiji's new look :/ It'll take some time to get used to.

But man. He's really changed over time. He's definitely not like he was back then.

Jun 29, 2009 11:29 AM
Jun 2009
Aeterna said:
[

Phantom, in my opinion, is a series with a lot of potential, and yes, I actually can acknowledge when it does things well. A shocker, I know! I did like the opening nightscape in the previous episode, and there are some good (as well as bad) animation sequences. In terms of plot, it's had some really good cliffhangers and plot points, but in the end, it has yet to really deliver something special for me that makes this series truly memorable. Cliche scenarios, such as the relationship between Cal and Reiji (of what we've seen so far, anyway - it may change later), don't exactly help Phantom break out of its shell, either.

While I agree the series lacks a bit of continuity, it still is likely the best series running this season (Bleach has gone down hill and about to go into fillers again).

I personally am surprised by something each episode. Animation sequences and music have been top notch for the most part, with several amazing episodes earlier in the series (the mall episode for example was fantastic). Several of these episodes were enough that I feel safe to say this series will be placed into the "anime hall of fame."

Even great series like Hellsing still had mediocre episodes. Seems like Phantom is getting more than its fair share of bad reviewers though.
Skeptic__Jun 29, 2009 11:32 AM
Jun 29, 2009 11:33 AM

Aug 2008
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

What are you watching that makes you say that this is the best show of the season because Bleach is about to go into fillers? You don't have anything on your anime list, so I have to wonder. Couple that last statement with a few others, and (I hate saying this because it makes me sound like a douche nerd) it feels like you haven't really seen many shows of merit.

I'm glad that you like the show, and decided to come onto MAL (because you are by far nowhere near the levels of ridiculous I've seen posted), but it's kind of like hearing someone say that Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is the best show on television right now.
Jun 29, 2009 12:21 PM
Jun 2009
noteDhero said:

What are you watching that makes you say that this is the best show of the season because Bleach is about to go into fillers? .

Well I've watched basically every show this season (at least the ones on animeseason.com) and I can't say any of them are better. Phantom is better than numerous shows last season as well.

Never liked One piece, K-on is meh, Asura Cryin isn't so hot, never got into naruto. At any rate the rest of the series I "tried" out I don't even remember their names off the top of my head.

I'm probably missing a number of shows, but I generally don't search around beyond the recommended ones. Let me know if I'm missing something of merit though.
Jun 29, 2009 12:44 PM

Dec 2008
Unlike a lot of people, I don't usually watch series by keeping up with the current season. I just look at what seems interesting, new or old, and go with it. Phantom and FMA: Brotherhood are the only series I'm keeping up with that began this season - Phantom on the prodding of a friend and FMA:B because I really enjoyed the 2003 FMA. The others on my Currently Watching list have either already finished their run or began before this season and are simply very long (e.g. Gintama). As a result, I can't really say if Phantom is the best of this season. I can only compare it to whatever else I've seen.

Even if Phantom is the best of this season, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's stellar in comparison to some past anime series. I haven't exactly seen as much anime as some others around MAL, but I've definitely seen character types and plots from Phantom used before. I know that it's impossible to be completely original these days, but like I said before, it's more about how you go about it. Phantom has yet to have anything I'll remember it for, save for the time Zwei killed that kid way back in episode 5. But, really, that's about it. I watched episodes 12 and 13 just yesterday and I couldn't tell you much about them except for the most basic and important points.

(And actually, I got annoyed with Bleach a while ago and dropped it XD I'm still reading the manga, though I'm also considering dropping it, too.)
Jun 29, 2009 1:03 PM

Aug 2008
Ok. If that's all you've seen this season, then yeah, Phantom probably is the best. But Guin Saga, Eden of the East, Fullmetal Alchemist, Tears to Tiara and (depending on your taste) Hayate no Gotoku, Ristorante Paradiso, are just as good or better. Not to mention Kemono no Souja Erin, a holdover from winter.

I feel badly that someone recommened K-On and Asura Cryin' to you.
Jun 29, 2009 1:22 PM

Oct 2008
tears to tiara as good as phantom... I'd agree on the other parts (well i do enjoy asura cryin' to a degree), but this one just makes me sad for phantom.
Jun 29, 2009 1:33 PM

Aug 2008
Personally I think it's better than Phantom. It has a lead character I like, it's animated beautifully, and it's a harem that I don't hate (that alone makes it better).
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Sep 24, 2009

628 by __FK__ »»
Apr 15, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 16, 2009

145 by defaulticus »»
Mar 23, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Phantom Requiem for the Phantom Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Mikiyo - Apr 3, 2009

171 by defaulticus »»
Mar 17, 3:51 PM

» Phantom: Requiem for the phantom. Visual Novel endings.

Jimmy2233 - Sep 26, 2013

5 by ALCYON3US »»
Feb 9, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ckam - Jul 20, 2009

71 by bubba460z »»
Dec 17, 2023 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.