Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 24, 2009 7:25 PM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was different from what I expected. No tail, no scales, no gills. And a fair amount of humor.

This looks like it will end up being a "cute girls doing stupid things" series, but it might go along some other path as a fantasy, so I'll at least watch one more episode.
Jun 24, 2009 8:09 PM
Feb 2009
Are there subs anywhere yet??? It came out just today, so I'm kind of unsure.
Jun 24, 2009 8:10 PM

Nov 2008
_Me_ said:
Are there subs anywhere yet??? It came out just today, so I'm kind of unsure.

I have no idea - I watch raws.
Jun 25, 2009 12:15 AM
Jul 2018
Nice, opening by marble.

dbaranyi said:
No tail, no scales, no gills. And a fair amount of humor.

I liked it this way. Rather calm story but not too boring, Miyamori's dark aura and baseball-like throwing for example :D

Urin (thats a name NOT to be romanized >.<) seemed to have broken a seal and the ring got cursed?
I don't know where it's supposed to go, let's see in the next weeks.

/edit: corrected BBcodes
Jun 25, 2009 12:16 AM

Dec 2008
No, they arent any subs yet. I am still waiting for a fansub to release the first episode.

Jun 25, 2009 9:00 AM

Sep 2007
It was better than I expected... but then again my expectations were really low.

But I'm surely in love with the opening song. I can't wait for the single to come out :3
Jun 25, 2009 11:02 PM

Dec 2007
Gave it a 2/5. It was pretty bad. The characters were all annoying (Marin = ditz, Urin = crybaby, and Kanon = bitch)

The line "oh he must be a good guy since he gave you such a pretty ring!" didn't sit well with me either.

Aria this most certainly is not.
Jun 26, 2009 1:04 AM

May 2007
Damn, this show is going to make me a lolicon... I really am clueless about what will happen in this anime, but seems relaxing so far. I got Aria vibes from the episode. We'll see what will happen.
Jun 26, 2009 4:29 AM

Sep 2008
That was a decent start. Somehow, this episode felt pretty unique, especially because of the art style and unusual animation techniques. The characters already look strong enough, and I'm sure that we can expect great development later.

imo, it's nothing close to Aria though, it reminded me more of Pretear. Hopefully, this show will realise its potential better than Pretear did.
Jun 26, 2009 1:48 PM

Jan 2009
DaBigD said:
I got Aria vibes from the episode.

Well, that's bound to happen since Umi Monogatari and Aria have the same director, Junichi Sato, who also directed Kaleido Star, a couple Sailor Moon series, Pretear and the second Shugo Chara anime. There's also Reiko Yoshida who did the screenplay on Aria in the Umi staff.

I for one liked the first episode.
And those chibi faces are damn funny. But some of Kanon's reactions were way too exagerated i think.
I'm just curious as to how the mahou shoujo stuff will fit in with the story and how come Kanon will also be 'magical' :P

Signature and Avatar made by my wife, VanillaMoon!
Jun 26, 2009 2:38 PM

Nov 2008
Decent first episode. The OP is nice & mellow and the animation is better than expected. As long as the storyline isn't going to follow any clichés, it could turn out somewhat interesting. Overall, the ep caught enough of my interest to keep watching.

Oh and, I liked Kanon's dark & gloomy moodswings.
Jun 26, 2009 2:40 PM

Apr 2009
Megiddo said:
Gave it a 2/5. It was pretty bad. The characters were all annoying (Marin = ditz, Urin = crybaby, and Kanon = bitch)

The line "oh he must be a good guy since he gave you such a pretty ring!" didn't sit well with me either.

Aria this most certainly is not.

I agree, but the unique art style made me give it a slightly better score. I hope it gets better.
I am the light and the darkness tossed away by fate.
I am hope and despair needed by all and to none.
I am CuresDestiny.
Fear me or Not it is all the same to me.
<insert maniacal laughter here>

Jun 26, 2009 2:59 PM

Apr 2009
The show does have a unique vibe to it and its also kinda cute and funny. At the same time, it seems to be building on some kind of fantasy storyline so I'll keep watching it.

It's calming, but not boring and the animation seems pretty good.

You can't expect too much just from a first episode.
I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. It's the honest ones you have to watch out for. Honestly.
Jun 26, 2009 3:27 PM

Dec 2008
So far pretty interesting~

There was more humour in it than I thought there would be :3. Is it just me, or did Kanon remind anyone of Kyoko from Skip Beat XD? I couldn't help but laugh at her dark aura :P

As expected, I'm loving the art and animation. I don't know where the story is going but the ending was pretty good in capturing my interest.

Overall I like the calm, laid back, slice-of-life feel of the anime. What I really like most about this episode was the gorgeous music. LOVED it. Beautiful instrumentals I must say :)

Opening and ending are also really nice. I like the cute Little Mermaid reference in the ending :D
Jun 26, 2009 4:20 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah I thought that was better than my expectations.
I think it has a good atmosphere to it. It is pretty interesting so far and I like the characters.
Jun 26, 2009 4:44 PM

Jun 2008
It got my attention, but I need a few more episodes to effectively judge it.

I do enjoy Kanon's character though, as she seems to be channeling a sarcastic-deadpan-Maaya-Sakamoto type vibe.
Jun 26, 2009 5:44 PM

Nov 2008
It was interesting enough to make me want to see the next episode, with Urin breaking the seal at the end. However, I do hope that they don't play up the gags and Marin being a ditz too much. Lol at all the guys looking at her clothes, though. I also liked the OP and ED, particularly the ED animation with The Little Mermaid story.
confusedmuseJun 27, 2009 9:30 AM
Jun 26, 2009 7:45 PM

Oct 2008
I thought this episode was a decent start, i found the fortune teller girl kind of annoying since her dark phase just kept repeating but normally shes fine, im intrigued to see where this series goes though so they did a good job in establishing some suspense. I really didnt like the opening or the ending but thats just my opinion, probably too slow paced for my tastes. I do like the main character though (the blonde) her sister was kind of annoying though
Jun 26, 2009 10:41 PM

Feb 2008
I liked it enough to stick with it for another couple of episodes.

However, while the "Aria-esq" opening was a nice counter to the girls energy the music was totally inappropriate for the dramatic turn of events at the end of the episode. It was like somebody forgot to turn of the piano music.

From the look of the underwater peoples' hair and costumes it would appear they inhabit the same ocean as Spongebob Squarepants where water doesn't necessarily behave like water; which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Jun 26, 2009 11:15 PM

Dec 2007
Strikes me more as a fanserviced up Sketchbook or Kamichu! than it does Aria, honestly. It's probably worth following for a couple episodes just because the genre is usually successful, but I'm a skeptical at the moment. Who knows, really.

I will admit, however, that it was much better than I expected. I only picked it up to put off writing a paper, so in that sense it was a rather pleasant surprise.
世界は美しくなんかない。 そしてそれ故に、美しい
Jun 27, 2009 1:47 AM
Feb 2008
Well reasonable start ,even thought this is not my kind of anime I think I might continue watching this hopefully it gets more interesting

Kanon is a little annoying but I think I can put up with her attitude ^^
Jun 27, 2009 4:36 AM

Oct 2008
I saw riya's name in the ED credits under a song name, but I didn't hear her sing, nor is her name anywhere in the Umi Monogatari page in MAL.
A future OP/ED maybe?
Jun 27, 2009 6:02 AM
Jul 2018
th4m said:
I saw riya's name in the ED credits under a song name, but I didn't hear her sing, nor is her name anywhere in the Umi Monogatari page in MAL.
A future OP/ED maybe?

According to Wikipedia, the ED was sung, as well as composed and edited by Itou Masumi, but the lyrics are by riya.
Jun 27, 2009 7:00 AM

Jun 2008
It was much better than I expected, the soundtrack was always present, and the animation style they use to introduce humor can turn out to be interesting if not abused.

As with most songs by marble I'll probably enjoy the OP more and more as I hear it again, but the ED really caught me right off the bat, the Little Mermaid slideshow along with Urin's reactions is very cute and interesting, and Masumi Itou's vocal is as great as always.

Definitely a pleasant surprise for me as the 1st anime of the new season I watch.

EDIT: On another topic, I don't quite understand why this show is being compared so much to Aria, the only things I can see in common between them are that both are slow-paced slice-of-life, both are directed by Satou and both have cute girls surrounded by lots of water.
I don't think the chemistry between the characters nor their reflections upon the world they live in will turn out to be similar to Aria. For instance Marin's optimism in my opinion is more similar to SZS's Kafuka, though not as twisted, than Akari's, and the first cliffhanger ending hints more at a fantasy setting than one focused on exploring factors such as the umibito society and the boundaries between them and humans(even though I'd like the series to do that later on).
RandomOugiJun 27, 2009 7:21 AM
Jun 27, 2009 8:36 AM

Jul 2008
The animation was just ... wow. I really liked it. And it feels really relaxing serie ~ And I liked the characters, especially Kanon.

Waiting forward to next episode ! ~

Jun 27, 2009 9:12 AM

Apr 2008
I really liked this episode. The art is gorgeous, and the BGM is so peaceful.. And I was impressed for a mahou shoujo to start like this. Can't wait to see the next ones!
Jun 27, 2009 10:40 AM

Feb 2008
the thing that stood out the most was the music. gave the whole episode a smooth feel to it. its not a bad start.
Jun 27, 2009 12:33 PM
Jun 2009
Both the music and the animation just oozes "Aria" out of its pours. It's enough to get me to watch it since I feel like I'm getting more Aria.
They even used the same commercial break cut that Aria used, with the characters talking as the series title shows up on the corner of the screen.
Jun 27, 2009 1:44 PM

Jun 2008
Nice animation, beautiful. I'm amazed. I hope next episode will bring something new to the plot. The end of the 1st episode was promising.
Urin - horrible name:/
Jun 27, 2009 4:35 PM

May 2009
I liked it.

The animation syle is superb, really nice. Music was really soothing and peaceful. Lots of humour in this episode and I liked Kanon a lot. Good start for the summer season. ^^
Jun 27, 2009 10:03 PM

Jul 2007
Agh ... so far I can't stand this anime ... I admit I LOVED ARIA so MUCH ... but this ... this doesn't feel like ARIA at all ..
Jun 27, 2009 10:08 PM

Dec 2007
Great animation. Hopefully the characters will get less annoying as the show progresses.
Jun 28, 2009 12:59 AM

Feb 2008
I enjoyed the first episode more then I thought I would and will be watching another episode before I work out if I will continue watching it. Really loved the ending with the Little Mermaid.
Jun 28, 2009 1:41 AM

Apr 2008
I find it quite decent, though my expectations were a bit high, so I didn't like it as much as I probably should. The opening is rather intriguing, I'm curious to see how the things between Marin and Kanon will really develop. And I really hope the animation quality doesn't drop in future episodes, it's just so pretty.
Jun 28, 2009 2:44 AM

Aug 2008
Aria vibes? You got to be kidding.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jun 28, 2009 4:04 AM
Dec 2007
I feared until the very end of the episode that it was going to be another ARIA/Kaleidostar, but thanks God, there was more than just slice of life with the apparaition of... well, something evil we don't know yet. I don't particularly like the characters nor the setting or direction, but at least, I didn't fell asleep in this introductionary episode (contrary to Kaleidostar, ARIA and ARIA The natural episode 1).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 28, 2009 4:55 AM

Jul 2008
was ok but nothing more. lets see how this will turn out, but i think i wont stick to it.
made me kinda sleepy~~

Jun 28, 2009 9:29 AM

Jun 2007
I wasn't even planning on watching this, but I'm glad I did. It was quite a pleasant surprise! I really liked the art and music, and the characters seem pretty interesting -- Kanon's evil aura cracks me up. :P
Jun 28, 2009 11:21 AM
Oct 2008
I had pretty low expectations for this series but I'm glad I watched it. As for those saying they don't get the Aria vibe some are feeling, I don't think it's to the extent that some are taking it. I don't think the vibe comes from the characters or anything but more around the setting it takes place in and the music. The opening and ending themes also give off that relaxing quality that Aria has.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the next episode goes. I just hope it doesn't focus too much on the fanservice or Marin's lack of clothes because that may kill the series for me.
Jun 28, 2009 11:27 AM

May 2009
Good first episode thusfar.

Art and animation are nice and this show looks like it could become something really nice.

Had a lot more humor than I expected it to have. Expected a more serious, maybe even drama-filled show. If they keep it the way it is now, I'll definitely watch more.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2009 11:59 AM

Feb 2009
I didn't expect much watching this but I must admit that it's not bad, though not great either.

And this is definitely a show for lolicons and DFC loving people. At first I thought Kanon was a boy and I was like "Wtf? Why's his mother undressing in front of him?". XD

Anyways, it was really cute and overall I felt this episode quite relaxing, especially the music. The kind of show that I might watch from time to time when I'm bored.
Jun 28, 2009 12:32 PM

Jun 2008
Ohh I love water and mermaids. Cute girls nice animation and music. I'm diggin it.
Jun 28, 2009 1:15 PM

Dec 2008
4/5 from the first episode and got me wanting to watch the next one.

Different to what i usually watch, liked the music don't think ive heard that kind in an anime ive wactched before.

LoL at the men staring at bigsis
Jun 28, 2009 2:13 PM

Sep 2008
iLike the art. OP/ED was nice.
Jun 28, 2009 3:05 PM
Mar 2009
To me, it felt more like Sketchbook than Aria. Still, fairly strong start, so I'll be keeping going with this one.
Jun 28, 2009 10:38 PM

Sep 2007
Hmmm that was an interesting start to the show. But uh... what's up with the whole evil thing in the end? This isn't going to turn into some weird supernatural defeat-an-evil-spirit show is it?
Jun 28, 2009 11:26 PM

Sep 2007
Great style, appealing character designs. For the love of Junichi Sato I must keep going.
Jun 29, 2009 7:33 AM

Nov 2007
The ending was quite unexpected.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jun 29, 2009 10:24 AM

Nov 2007
I love the art style, especially the eyes for this one. And gotta say, it is more than I expected myself. Rather good and interesting indeed. :3
O_O
Jun 29, 2009 11:38 AM

Aug 2007
I liked this first episode, but I have the feeling that it will go downhill after the next two episodes or so. I absolutely like the animation and the music. Four seiyu from UmiMono are also in Shugo Chara, haha!
DragonsWhipJun 29, 2009 11:43 AM
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anybody Remember this anime

Traxillia - Mar 10

1 by Sekiro94 »»
Mar 10, 4:52 AM

Poll: » Umi Monogatari ~Anata ga Itekureta Koto~ Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - Jul 1, 2009

73 by demision »»
Aug 5, 2022 11:24 PM

Poll: » Umi Monogatari ~Anata ga Itekureta Koto~ Episode 12 Discussion

Lvhina - Sep 16, 2009

45 by Zekkenshin »»
Apr 25, 2021 10:36 PM

Poll: » Umi Monogatari ~Anata ga Itekureta Koto~ Episode 11 Discussion

daniking79 - Sep 9, 2009

14 by Fario-P »»
Jan 6, 2021 3:36 PM

Poll: » Umi Monogatari ~Anata ga Itekureta Koto~ Episode 10 Discussion

daniking79 - Sep 2, 2009

18 by Fario-P »»
Jan 6, 2021 3:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.