Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 5, 2009 3:04 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
finally after a weeks waiting XD
hope this episode isnt as bad/boring (imo) as the previous one <_<
Jun 5, 2009 4:41 PM

Nov 2007
Hayate's date with Ayumi, lol at bright background!

Actually Hayate's buying gift for Hinagiku.

Eh~~~~, he had a relations before (in kindergarden)!
tsubasaloverJun 5, 2009 4:45 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jun 5, 2009 11:18 PM
Jul 2018
Hayate is advancing towards harem ending. He scored at Hinagiku, Ayumu, Maria AND Nagi in the same episode. Nice episode!

And finally the ED single release is close.. 10th June
Jun 6, 2009 7:07 AM

May 2009
Loved the episode. Well played Hayate, well played (though he still doesn't have a clue). Can't wait until next week.
Jun 7, 2009 7:40 AM
May 2009
can't find a subbed episode
Jun 7, 2009 8:14 AM

Mar 2007
HoaRy said:
Hayate is advancing towards harem ending. He scored at Hinagiku, Ayumu, Maria AND Nagi in the same episode. Nice episode!

yeah, the ending is probably the best one theyve done (well except for Kinome Kaze (last of the first)

I don't think they'll have a definate answer for which girl he will go for... will keep stringing it along for a while
Jun 7, 2009 8:54 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007

Good episode, nice going, Hayate. Can't wait for the ED either. The songs of the previous season were great. Especially Shichitenhakki Shijou Shugi.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 7, 2009 10:43 AM

Aug 2008
The scene with Tama instakilled me! Finally another funny ep!

HoaRy said:

True, harem on full throttle. I can't wait for the single!!

PS.: I am Murphy!
Jun 7, 2009 10:44 AM

Jan 2007
Good episode. great setup for what is to come. I hope we get Hina's
next time.
Jun 7, 2009 10:58 AM

Aug 2008
Ok episode. Too slow with the search for the present, but once Hayate got home it was good and funny.

Have we seen this A-tan or am I remembering a similar character from another show? If not, I'm sure we'll be seeing this mystery girl in future episodes.
Jun 7, 2009 11:22 AM

Jul 2008
Great episode =D
yes for the ed release =D
and bout A-tan i believe this is the first time for her to appear in the anime
and yes we will learn more about her in later episodes
Also YAY for the

Kvakond said:

PS.: I am Murphy!

XD i rewatched that part bout 10 times XD
Images to come =D
Jun 7, 2009 11:51 AM

Jul 2008
yeah cant wait for the awesome op>< hayate really thinks about everyone^^
didnt know that maria had such a past, made a a bit sad.

Jun 7, 2009 12:00 PM

Jul 2008
alrites images enjoy =D

ouch that must hurt XD

loved this part XD

Athena and Hayate

and etc/ other stuff XD
Jun 7, 2009 12:23 PM

Jul 2008
This episode was great stuff.
First time I heard of A-tan and I'm curious about her... *starts looking for spoilers*
Loved it when Hayate gave Nagi a present to distract her. ^^
Maria was one of the best character in this episode. I always love it when she acts or teases Hayate. :3

But next week is gonna be a Hina-feast <3
Jun 7, 2009 12:42 PM

Apr 2009
I for one thoroughly enjoyed this episode. It was funny, entertaining, and actually worked the love themes in really well, not making them feel awkward.

Loved Hayate getting smashed in the face with the bike. Good to know that he still has that invincible body that he's had since the beginning of the series.

Jun 7, 2009 1:07 PM

May 2007
An entertaining episode, though not liking the Ayumu x Hayate thing that's going on at the moment.
Jun 7, 2009 1:08 PM

Oct 2008
Maria is the best. Nice episode overall. the randomness of Tama playing guitar cracked me up.
Jun 7, 2009 4:09 PM

Apr 2009
Silberkralle said:
First time I heard of A-tan and I'm curious about her... *starts looking for spoilers*
Maria was one of the best character in this episode. I always love it when she acts or teases Hayate. :3

If u wanna know who A-tan/Athene is, then should u read the chapter 178-187 named The end of the World - http://www.mangafox.com/manga/hayate_the_combat_butler/c178/ really intresting story, who i hope we gonna see in the anime.
Jun 7, 2009 4:22 PM

Aug 2008
The contrast between Maria and the other girls is so striking, it's rediculous. Hina, Nagi, and Ayumu are just regular girls who Hayate interacts normally with. There are embarrassing moments because of crushes, cute little moments and memorable moments, but then you have Hayate and Maria. What they have is so much more and it's gorgeous what this anime is doing.

In the dark, under the moon, their special relationship that goes farther than anyone else's is shared. They have a connection he has with no one else. She shares things with him like that devastating reveal she just gave him (Maria isn't her name? Oh man there's going to be a LOT to answer in the future.) and he's shared many things with her. She comes to him when she's scared, holding him close and he's always thinking of her, if only in the back of his mind.

It's going to be Hayate and Maria in the end if the author of this story is doing what I think he's doing. Planning for the real relationship that withstands fire.
Romance comedy anime - Japan's gift to America
Jun 7, 2009 4:25 PM

May 2008
lol that was funny, the bunny being an assassin was awesome

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jun 7, 2009 4:29 PM

Sep 2008
I'm an assassin from Hell.
Jun 7, 2009 5:45 PM

Apr 2008
after two days finally out o_o ... hahas funny episode

Jun 7, 2009 5:58 PM

Jul 2008
hayate really is a player isn't he? the part about maria was a little sad, but finding out where that doll's story was just freaking hilarious!
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jun 7, 2009 6:08 PM
Jan 2008
now we know why maria doesn't have a last name. can't wait till maria's birthday comes and see what will happen.
Jun 7, 2009 6:14 PM

Sep 2008
Everybody Poe Poe!
I want to know more about A-tan...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2009 7:27 PM
Jul 2008
Lol the present from Hayate to Maria was funny. But I felt sad for Maria for not knowing much of her past.
Jun 7, 2009 8:00 PM

May 2009
HAYATE ROCKS!

That assassin from hell made me ROFL
Jun 7, 2009 8:19 PM

Apr 2009
"As Japanese, getting down on your knees is your only choice." LOL nice subs.

Love the way this new season is progressing, with Hinagiku, Maria, Nishizawa.
Anyone with over 10 shows ranked at 10/10 clearly needs to re-evaluate their idea of a 'masterpiece'.
Jun 7, 2009 9:06 PM

Nov 2007
I was gonna give this 4/5 but then A-tan showed up...instant 5/5

If people wanna know who A-tan is read "The End of the World" arc from the manga, its probably my favourite manga arc to date, Athena is a fantastic character!!!!

Also the MariaxHayate was awesome as well. A bit of the mystery about Maria also seems to be related with A-tan as well but thats getting a bit into the spoiler side
Jun 7, 2009 9:43 PM

Sep 2008

When I read that before I saw the episode, it actually kinda scared me, just 'cause I don't like the sound of it, but I like the way it did play out.

Is it just me.. or is the only main character we don't know the birthday of Nagi now? I might've missed where it was stated somewhere, but I don't remember it. We even know three of the minor characters' days. (Consider Ayumu a minor)

So the only gift we don't know is actually Hina's, who is the one he went out to get lol the other three better be grateful to her.

Yay! One of the comments Hayate made to Ayumu makes me wonder if there's going to be a White Day episode to follow up the Valentines.

Oh, and I got even more of the sense of the trio/quartet nakama this episode.

"You're such an idiot."
~Celty (Durarara)

"How many seconds until the boy confesses his love to the girl?"
~Durarara

Should it be sad now that twice in a season I've been glad that subs scrolls by to quickly for me to process?

Jun 8, 2009 4:13 AM

Jan 2009
Awesome episode. Plushy Hayate gave to Maria being such a character, hah. Also Tama performing in the room was so hilarious! Also lots of Ayumu... Great!
Jun 8, 2009 11:28 AM

Jan 2008
Woah, this post turned out to be much longer than I intended.

A truly awesome episode. I've nothing to add concerning the actual episode, but I'm surprised that no one has pointed this one out yet:

If I'm not horribly mistaken, 少女 refers to A-tan here and she's voiced by Kawasumi Ayako. A great addition to the already fantastic cast in my opinion. (On a side note: does anyone else think that she and Itou Shizuka (Hinagiku's VA) sound alike? Their voices, that is.)

Also, here's your usual timeline update. I wonder how many episodes they'll use for the following 8 chapters. It might be wiser to use three and give more screen time to certain scenes or add some original content instead of trying to squeeze all the content into two. Plus, episode 13 would mark the end of the first cours. It might make more sense to change the story arc (and potentially the OP/ED as well) only after that.

Bastion said:
Is it just me.. or is the only main character we don't know the birthday of Nagi now? I might've missed where it was stated somewhere, but I don't remember it. We even know three of the minor characters' days. (Consider Ayumu a minor)

Nagi's birthday is December 3rd. It's written on the character information pages on the 1st manga volume and it has been stated at least on the first episode of the second season.

I wouldn't say that Ayumu is a minor character when the cast is this numerous. If I had to name 5 main characters for this show, my picks would be Hayate, Hinagiku, Maria, Nagi and Ayumu. For something else than just my opinion: take a look at the current season 2 opening and ending (cast list). They are the 5 characters who stand apart from the rest.

Bastion said:
Yay! One of the comments Hayate made to Ayumu makes me wonder if there's going to be a White Day episode to follow up the Valentines.
Well, that's a given, isn't it? :) I'll be bold and take a guess when it's going to happen. Don't look unless you're really curious!
Spoiler for episode number, speculative.
Jun 8, 2009 12:06 PM

Sep 2008
Spawwvy said:
On a side note: does anyone else think that she and Itou Shizuka (Hinagiku's VA) sound alike? Their voices, that is.

The first time I watched it, I thought in the flashback the voice reminded me of Maria.
That would have made an interesting story in itself, also the shadowed figure in the preview which I thought was supposed to her made me think of Izumi. That would have created a tangled web lol

Spawwvy said:
Nagi's birthday is December 3rd. It's written on the character information pages on the 1st manga volume and it has been stated at least on the first episode of the second season.

Ah, thought I'd missed it somewhere. It just seemed strange that there was all this talk of birthdays and Nagi's wasn't mentioned.

Spawwvy said:
I wouldn't say that Ayumu is a minor character when the cast is this numerous. If I had to name 5 main characters for this show, my picks would be Hayate, Hinagiku, Maria, Nagi and Ayumu. For something else than just my opinion: take a look at the current season 2 opening and ending (cast list). They are the 5 characters who stand apart from the rest.

I only consider he minor because she doesn't show up as often. Nagi's in nearly every episode. From your list, Hinagiku is kinda on the borderline (not showing up often, but building up enough character to be considered) and Ayumu's below her.

Of course Ayumu stands apart, she's one of the women interested in Hayate's affection :p

Spawwvy said:
[White Day]'s a given, isn't it? :)

I'd say not really, only because, to my memory, it's taken this long for them to have one.

"You're such an idiot."
~Celty (Durarara)

~Durarara

Should it be sad now that twice in a season I've been glad that subs scrolls by to quickly for me to process?

Jun 8, 2009 12:23 PM

Aug 2008
I would actually replace Ayumu with Wataru since he seems to have a mini harem revolving around him.
Jun 8, 2009 2:30 PM

Jan 2008
Bastion said:
I only consider he minor because she doesn't show up as often. Nagi's in nearly every episode. From your list, Hinagiku is kinda on the borderline (not showing up often, but building up enough character to be considered) and Ayumu's below her.

Of course Ayumu stands apart, she's one of the women interested in Hayate's affection :p

Ah, my bad. I didn't mention that my views have been influenced by reading the manga, but even if I were to stay in the context of the anime adaptation, the following applies:

By standing apart I meant that those five are shown to us first and each of them gets a longer presentation during the opening. When credits roll during the ending, only those five are present on the first cast list.

As for why I didn't include Wataru: I see him as some sort of a major side character, who has his own harem consisting of other more or less major side characters. If he were ever going to get his very own story where he was the main character, Saki, Sakuya and Isumi would have to be consired as main characters as well.

The point is that it's hard to draw a line between main and side characters in this show. In fact, why is there a need for such categorization after all?

Bastion said:
Spawwvy said:
[White Day]'s a given, isn't it? :)

I'd say not really, only because, to my memory, it's taken this long for them to have one.

I said that White Day is a given because:
- The story in this season has been progressing slowly but steadily in chronological order. It isn't even March yet as of the latest episode
- Valentine's Day wasn't just an insignificant single-episode side story. It has been referred to a few times. It wouldn't make sense to leave White Day out.
Spoiler just in case. Someone else might have not put a spoiler here.
Jun 8, 2009 2:54 PM

Jul 2008
thx,
artemisthemp said:
Silberkralle said:

If u wanna know who A-tan/Athene is, then should u read the chapter 178-187 named The end of the World - http://www.mangafox.com/manga/hayate_the_combat_butler/c178/ really intresting story, who i hope we gonna see in the anime.

Thanks, I'll check that out a bit ^_^
Jun 8, 2009 3:12 PM

Sep 2008
Spawwvy said:
By standing apart I meant that those five are shown to us first and each of them gets a longer presentation during the opening. When credits roll during the ending, only those five are present on the first cast list.

And again I say, that's most likely because she's in contention for Hayate's affection, which is something the opening (and the series so far) has focused on. Just because a character's on the opening roll of characters doesn't make them main automatically.

noteDhero said:
I would actually replace Ayumu with Wataru since he seems to have a mini harem revolving around him.

Yes, Wataru and his harem would make for an amusing side story. Not sure if there's enough to name his main though.

Spawwvy said:
The point is that it's hard to draw a line between main and side characters in this show.

That's exactly why I use the on-screen time as a determinate, there's really so little difference that there's really no other way to call it. And being a main character or not is just another one of those groupings this world throws people into.

Spawwvy said:
I said that White Day is a given because:
- The story in this season has been progressing slowly but steadily in chronological order. It isn't even March yet as of the latest episode
- Valentine's Day wasn't just an insignificant single-episode side story. It has been referred to a few times. It wouldn't make sense to leave White Day out.

Again, for this type of anime, it's only suprising because they've gone 3? 4? years without having either until now. Even as a backdrop it's a useful event.

I know there's a lot of the story that I'm missing because I haven't read the manga, problem is finding.

"You're such an idiot."
~Celty (Durarara)

~Durarara

Jun 8, 2009 5:03 PM

Jul 2008
NOTE these are just my thoughts nothing set in stone XD
Bastion said:
Spawwvy said:

And again I say, that's most likely because she's in contention for Hayate's affection, which is something the opening (and the series so far) has focused on. Just because a character's on the opening roll of characters doesn't make them main automatically.

Hmm from what my knowledge of HnG i just consider any1 in the love triagnle/pentagon/ or w.e w/ Hayate is alrdy a main

Bastion said:

Spawwvy said:
The point is that it's hard to draw a line between main and side characters in this show.

That's exactly why I use the on-screen time as a determinate, there's really so little difference that there's really no other way to call it. And being a main character or not is just another one of those groupings this world throws people into.

hmm not too sure for screen time (but i guess it's the best why to distinguish them , since i got no other ideas) ... they may have Tama from time to time but he isnt a main (imo), confusing if u ask me (especially since the story kinda all over the place with different characters from time to time)
Bastion said:

I know there's a lot of the story that I'm missing because I haven't read the manga, problem is finding.
yea your missing stuff, just gatta go with he flow with the material presented i guess
Jun 8, 2009 5:08 PM

Oct 2007
ah, what a great episode! despite being a guy with deadbeat parents and a lifetime worth of debt, i still think he's the luckiest guy on earth. ;-)

and that last bit with the assassin bunny from hell was laugh out loud hilarious.
Jun 10, 2009 2:48 AM

Aug 2007
artemisthemp said:
Silberkralle said:

Yup can't wait to see the A-tan/Athena episode. Been reading the manga but the scans aren't up to date with the releases. so hopefully we learn about her more in the anime.
Jun 10, 2009 11:23 AM

Aug 2007
Next week Hayate crossdressing as a maid, haha. A-tan = Athena, as far as I know. Maria looked really girl-ish at the end of the episode, cute. Finally a bit of her background as well. Okay episode. And rofl at Tama...
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jun 15, 2009 7:03 AM

Jan 2008
Oh, new character? Wonder if we get to see her soon.
Jun 16, 2009 11:58 AM

Oct 2007
Loved this story in the manga.

But more importantly: Hermione in the next episode!

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Jun 26, 2009 3:48 AM

Nov 2007
Hayate is the biggest 'playa' xD I mean seriously smooth talking his way through 4 girls like that although I'm all for Hinagiku x Hayate :3!
Jul 17, 2009 1:22 PM

Jul 2008
Murphy made me lol xD

Nov 7, 2009 12:41 PM

Jun 2009
LOL @ Tama and murphy
Nov 9, 2009 5:33 AM

Oct 2009
loool very nice episode

------
I thought a cute stuffed doll would be good for her, you know how hinagiku-san a child side to her ? lol

How about a game ?
Out of question. She'll instantly break it ...

How about clothes ?
Yeah! Military clother and brass knuckles would look good on her ROFL
--------
Nov 20, 2011 3:42 AM

Feb 2011
Hayate's x-gf hell who??

and Hayate is so cute everytime when he's about to cry xD
Aug 14, 2012 1:13 PM

Jan 2011
Dat tama!
XxshizxX said:
Hayate's x-gf hell who??
This.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Aug 16, 2012 4:32 PM

May 2012
Great love development and the ending knowing about Maria's origins was quite touching! Though in the first season 24th December already passed and before that she was already 17th shouldn't she be 18th already than? Or am I wrong?

Either way great episode!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ClearSinz - Apr 10, 2009

91 by mySaudate »»
May 22, 2023 2:57 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

game8910 - Sep 18, 2009

140 by 1Konochi »»
Apr 13, 2023 11:50 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 11, 2009

61 by 1Konochi »»
Apr 12, 2023 6:00 PM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jun 19, 2009

103 by MiMiXSheShe »»
Apr 6, 2023 2:25 AM

Poll: » Hayate the Combat Butler!! Episode 22 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 28, 2009

46 by 1Konochi »»
Apr 5, 2023 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.