Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Nov 9, 2022 1:49 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Lain be really surfing the web, gaining knowledge from who knows what or who these things are, A.I. perhaps?? She's probably going to control the entire realm of the wired and with it also obtain world domination. Her poor sister though, it looks like she's the one who's really on the brink of losing her mind. Does a part of everyone who's used the wired, exist in the wired, not only Lain? I'm assuming we'll at least get SOME answers, but most will probably have to be left up to speculation.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 8, 2022 12:02 AM
Oct 2012
So, maybe the Wired has spawned a parallel universe? Lain's sister is also stuck there? I guess we'll find out.
Dec 24, 2022 6:40 PM

Mar 2010
Twill be me next, I want lain to personally purge me.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 3, 2023 3:39 PM
Oct 2015
I feel like her sister is kinda concerned for Lain and that made her interested in The Wired. So she started connecting all the dots -like the secret agents, the spam prophecy mails she probably got as well and Lain's behaviour - and started getting a bit paranoic. But I'm pretty sure that her increasing involvement with The Wire is what is making her merge it with reality and that's what we just witnessed. I may be wrong tho.
And as some of you pointed out, I think that prophecy thing has to do with some sort of 'in order to evolve we must get rid of our body' idea. Somewhat like NGE did.
Now, what was going on when Lain had those conversations with her plushies and parents, I have no idea.
What I know for certain, is that I'm getting creeped out the more this series progresses.
byKaznaJan 3, 2023 3:52 PM
Jan 4, 2023 6:29 AM
Jul 2022
Sound design was really on point in this episode. The dinner table sounds, the plaza ambience and the errie atmosphere achieved in the bathroom scene was amazing, even for the sounds of things that don't exist, like what I assume is the Wired apparition of the sister towards the episodes end. Story-wise, I am left with more questions. What was happening with the sister feels quite sudden and lacking in build-up. Maybe I'm not too smart to understand; and maybe I will by the series end; but it felt like stuff just happened. It may have expanded on the world of the Wired somewhat, and hinted at what I would assume is a storyline involving Lain bridging the world of the Wired and the real together or her becoming its' Deus (to use a term from the episode) or her choosing to exist in it as opposed to the real world (I hope I'm wrong with these predictions so I can be surprised). It's likely that once I understand everything at the end, I'll be more satisfied or surprised, but I wonder if this incredibly unknowing aspect to the story is or isn't to its' detriment, as I sometimes wonder why I'm watching, and even debating as to whether or not the answers will be worth it or even comprehensive to really follow. SEL makes wonder if the storytelling model of obscurity is good or not, as the more answers I get, the more questions they spawn. Let's hope I dine on these concerns by episode 13 and have SEL completely have changed my life or something like that. I'll end this off by mentioning that I like the segments of the episode where Lain is being told some philosophical concepts/ideas/truths. The one in particular I liked, is when Lain's "Mother" or "Wired Mother" explains that the body exists so that we can 'verify' that we exist in the universe. I feel that concept alone is what the series is all about.
Jan 6, 2023 5:07 PM
Aug 2021
idk i starded the anime yesterday and every episode i watched was like 5 minutes this episode felt like 10 minutes tho bc i was pauseing it a lot bc i had things do tobut yeah i really liked it as an episode btw i feel that sel will be one of my fav anime bc its just the type of anime i love to watch like especially i like the artstyle and how lain personality is btw she is one of my kins even tho i havent complete it but for now my rate for serial experiments lain is 10/10
Jan 13, 2023 6:14 AM

Aug 2019
who is next?.....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2023 12:54 PM
Jul 2018
I'm starting to get the feeling that somebody wants Mika to complete the prophecy tbh
Jan 24, 2023 9:42 AM
Jan 2023
There's a LOT to brew on with this. I have multiple ideas already, a lot about the difference between the physical world and the Wired. I'm partially thinking that there's two versions of everyone through the physical world and the Wired and maybe there's something in between and that's where Lain's headed. Seeing the spirit-like Wired Mika at the door of their house was really unsettling.

I think back to the start when the Wired mom was talking to Lain during one of the plushie scenes, and how she mentioned that the physical body is only used to verify our own existence. When the girl killed herself and yet emails still went out to her classmates- did she abandon this world for the Wired? Is that all where dead people have left to go other than the nothing? The note that was given to Mika in the crosswalk scene...

There's so much to think on, I'm loving this lmao
Mar 8, 2023 5:15 PM

Apr 2016
Man this show is just getting stranger and stranger haha
Apr 2, 2023 1:47 PM

Feb 2021
Just when I thought the story was going to take a more coherent turn my comprehension takes a nosedive.

Hooked on the aesthetic and vibe this show gives off though, it gives me the heebie jeebies
Villenno29May 31, 2023 3:16 PM
May 14, 2023 8:43 AM
May 2022
i don't know what's really going on, but I'm in for it.
May 14, 2023 10:50 AM

Aug 2022
I really hope that the anime will start explaining some things soon. I understand nothing.
May 21, 2023 11:43 AM
May 2023
here's my analysis for this episode. As you may know there were voices talking to lain up to this point on how "you don't need a body". I think theres someone behind all this. Like in i think episode 4 or 3 a god talks to lain, the god is probably behind some of this but i do believe theres actually more ppl behind this. Not the knights but like a other worldy creature. I think lain's sisters soul or self disconnected from her physical body somehow and now her body is basically an empty shell while her "soul" or "self" is free is a way. Like how she no longer needs a body to do things. 
May 22, 2023 11:02 PM
Feb 2019
what the fuck just happened?!. seems like lain's sister got wired check
May 23, 2023 1:41 PM
Apr 2019
Creepy episode, delved more into the psyche connection with the real world
May 24, 2023 7:19 PM

Jun 2016
Looks like Lain hacked the internet too much to the point that a 2nd world was created and her room looks like a whole Lab right now. She's definitely the #1 hacker in Japan to be able to hack street lights and what not, someone needs to stop her asap. 
May 29, 2023 11:05 PM
Feb 2022
this show is getting really fucking good
May 31, 2023 5:38 AM

May 2013
I really don't understand what's going on, but I can't stop to watch it, maybe we don't have a linear plot, and as suggest one quote of this episode, we have to link all the dots to understand what's happening. How intriguing!

But what's the point of this episode? Why Lain says 'Who's the next?' ? 
And the Mika's part of the episode was disturbing, Is she into the Wired (which I haven't already understand what it is)?

Let's figure it out
Jun 16, 2023 10:06 PM

May 2023
hly fk that episode just turnt everything up too max level. got deep. +_+
Jun 23, 2023 9:13 PM
Jun 2023
This episode Lain goes to the mental illness dealership and trades in her autism for schizophrenia. She even got a 2 for 1 deal and gave the extra copy of schizophrenia to her sister! How nice!
Jul 12, 2023 2:21 PM
Mar 2022
this series has got me stumed for now, i can't understand a thing.
Jul 13, 2023 7:05 AM
Jul 2023
I don't understand what is happening <3
Jul 18, 2023 11:48 AM
Jun 2019
Need to find the instrumental that was playing during the scene where the sister sees a duplicate of herself, this epsiode gave more clarity on the series for sure
Jul 21, 2023 11:50 PM

Dec 2009
Original Thoughts:

Thoughts upon Rewatch: 
waalex11Jul 24, 2023 8:37 PM
Jul 27, 2023 11:18 AM
Apr 2021
The episode was a thrilling experience since it touched some points it had it's own mind (?)
It was ascending at most.
Oct 18, 2023 8:38 PM

May 2019
its starting to get more interesting...

Dec 29, 2023 1:41 PM
Dec 2023
It's getting interesting now
Jan 24, 4:34 PM
Jan 2024
Was Lain's sister replaced by someone else? Did someone else take here place?
Jan 30, 3:59 PM
Oct 2023
this anime is jsut hella confusing lol. i hope things will get more clear soon. but i guess this means that some god is coming and Lain is the god? thats kinda what im getting. and poor Lains sister
Feb 10, 3:01 PM
Jan 2022
COnfusing..........
Feb 24, 4:18 PM

Dec 2022
extremely quotable episode
Mar 19, 10:08 PM
Mar 2024
Oh yeah baby we're starting to get into it. What an extraordinary show.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

292 by JosefStalinium »»
Apr 20, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

372 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

123 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 3:43 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

139 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 20, 1:43 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

119 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 20, 12:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.