Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 5, 2014 4:41 PM
Jan 2013
I was just wondering which most people prefer and why?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 5, 2014 4:53 PM

May 2013
I never cared much for Final Fantasy. I've finished 13 and which ever one had Cloud in it and didn't think much of either of them. I'd say I'm more into Tales. I've only finished Abyss and Grace and I'm current playing through Xilla, but I don't know if I'd rank them near the top of my favorites list. They certainly rank higher than Final Fantasy though.
Jan 5, 2014 5:00 PM

Dec 2012
I never played either
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Jan 5, 2014 5:02 PM

Feb 2012
You should probably say something like Star Ocean instead. Otherwise there really isn't much common ground.
Jan 5, 2014 5:07 PM

Jan 2008
I'd say I find myself enjoying Tales games a lot more than any FF games I've played in a long time. Let's hope FF15 manages to break that mold.
Jan 5, 2014 5:07 PM
Jul 2013
I prefer Final Fantasy more at the moment.

Just hoping that FF 15 won't let me down, looks promising with the action gameplay.

And of course, a plus for the epic name... Final Fantasy... hard to top that.
Jan 5, 2014 6:11 PM

Jun 2011
Final Fantasy. Mainly because I greatly dislike the real time battle system in the Tales games
Jan 5, 2014 6:31 PM
Mar 2011
FF has been up and down since VI VII puplar but over all not a vvery good game in compre to VI . VIII is awefull just aewfull IX Best 3D game in the franchise X to easy ot exploit the enhanment system X-2 it has a job system i liked it XII was stupid and a bad game the super boss is not that had in ccpre ot ozma in nine or Neo Shinryu in the V remake or hell even tenma in X-2 high hp i does not matter in XII in the 9 judages in FF XIII ZJS are hader than yizmat

less said oon XII the better

Tales of had always been one good game one ok game be bes still being the first in the franchise and some of the mobile games are better than the main games
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 5, 2014 8:13 PM

Jul 2007
Tales games still know what's up even if they are incredibly streamlined nowadays.

Final Fantasy has been on a drug induced trip to death and insanity ever since squeenix happened.
Jan 5, 2014 8:42 PM

Jun 2012
Loved Tales of Symphonia, couldn't finish FFX because I was bored of my mind and all the characters were shit. Haven't played anything else. Hope the 2D FF's sit better with me. Especially looking forward to FF VI and IV
Jan 5, 2014 9:18 PM

Apr 2010
Super biased tales fag, but it is kind of comparing apples to oranges. The real time battle system of tales games makes them infinitely more entertaining out of the box than any of the FF games.
Jan 5, 2014 9:51 PM

Mar 2013
I would choose Final Fantasy when it was still Squaresoft who developed the games but when they merged with Enix, I kind of lose interest with their latest games.

So, I'll choose Tales. Xillia, Graces, Symphonia and Vesperia were really good games.
Jan 5, 2014 10:54 PM

May 2012
Tales by far.

Clous said:
comparing apples to oranges..

They're both fruit, so comparing them makes sense.
Jan 5, 2014 10:56 PM

Aug 2012
Tales seemingly. Past FFX things have been... iffy.

To be fair, I've only played Tales of Symphonia :/
Jan 6, 2014 3:42 AM

Nov 2007
Tales, but that's to be expected since I'm a big Tales fan. I haven't enjoyed Final Fantasy since IX.
Jan 6, 2014 4:02 AM

Jun 2009
I wasn't ever too much into Final Fantasy, though the games are enjoyable but it also depends on the game. I disliked X but loved XII. XIII is nice, but I haven't been able to finish the first game (yes the first game, I haven't even hit the second game!).

I like the Tales series much better due to the battles, stories and art style. It's just more appealing to me.

And Star Ocean. Yes. Tales and Star Ocean wins for me.
Jan 6, 2014 3:30 PM

Jul 2010
I prefer Tales when it comes to gameplay, always preferred actually controlling characters, not that I don't enjoy turn based RPGs.
However when it comes to story, I prefer Final Fantasy 1000x more. Tales stories never really impressed me.
Jan 6, 2014 4:19 PM
May 2013
MellowJello said:

To be fair, I've only played Tales of Symphonia :/
Same but it was a damn good game
Jan 6, 2014 4:26 PM

Sep 2011
they both have their low points (FF8, tales of legendia/innocence) and their high points (Abyss, vesperia, xillia FFX FF9 FF6)

honestly i put them at about equal, though FF deserves some extra points since they try out new things alot while tale for the most part plays things safe only making any real major changes after quite a few games
JizzyHitlerJan 6, 2014 4:58 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 6, 2014 4:57 PM

Sep 2011
Tales of Eternia is my favorite jrpg but I will vote for FF.
Jan 7, 2014 1:39 PM

Jul 2007
SadTreeButler said:
I prefer Tales when it comes to gameplay, always preferred actually controlling characters, not that I don't enjoy turn based RPGs.
However when it comes to story, I prefer Final Fantasy 1000x more. Tales stories never really impressed me.

Sorry the VERY existence of FF13 and freaking bella swan Lightning, negates ANY sort of positive points FF had before.
Jan 7, 2014 2:26 PM

Jul 2009
Fai said:
SadTreeButler said:

Sorry the VERY existence of FF13 and freaking bella swan Lightning, negates ANY sort of positive points FF had before.
How so? The classic FF tales of IV, VI and IX will forever remain some of the best of the JRPG genre for a lot of fans no matter what happens in the future of the franchise. Though I have to say I'm not really that optimistic with the storyline in FFXV since Tetsuya Nomura is the one directing it.
Jan 7, 2014 3:09 PM

May 2013
Gameplay-wise - Tales
Story-wise - Final Fantasy

I couldn't say which franchise is better overall though.
Jan 7, 2014 3:16 PM

Sep 2011
Chillingflames said:
Fai said:
SadTreeButler said:

How so? The classic FF tales of IV, VI and IX will forever remain some of the best of the JRPG genre for a lot of fans no matter what happens in the future of the franchise. Though I have to say I'm not really that optimistic with the storyline in FFXV since Tetsuya Nomura is the one directing it.
Yah im a little worried story wise about XV as well

As long as he doesnt repeat the past and make noctis and pals all coincidentally forget that they grew up in a orphanage together and only then are suddenly conflicted with fighting the villain as a result.

though i think FFXV will at least fall under the KH path where despite is the story and dialogue end up being painful it will be fun to play, and even if the story is horrible in every way, i can at least sleep easy knowing its not white knight chronicles....nothing will ever be as bad as that game's story....or gameplay...or everything

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 7, 2014 3:58 PM

Nov 2012
I prefer Final Fantasy. I just love how SE are always looking to innovate the turn-based system. I don't care what anyone else says, but XIII's battle system was fantastic. Didn't like the auto-battle? Well manually input the commands guys, it's that easy. Not so much a fan of real-time battles in RPGs mainly because even if you're skillful, it's extremely difficult to take down tougher enemies because of stat deficiencies and the like. I also prefer Final Fantasy character designs and the fact that every iteration has a different art style and world.
Jan 7, 2014 4:08 PM

Jul 2007
Miraclezify said:
I prefer Final Fantasy. I just love how SE are always looking to innovate the turn-based system. I don't care what anyone else says, but XIII's battle system was fantastic. Didn't like the auto-battle? Well manually input the commands guys, it's that easy. Not so much a fan of real-time battles in RPGs mainly because even if you're skillful, it's extremely difficult to take down tougher enemies because of stat deficiencies and the like. I also prefer Final Fantasy character designs and the fact that every iteration has a different art style and world.

Yes, pressing A repeatedly while wannabe pink haired idol does movie animations on screen is innovative.
Jan 7, 2014 4:15 PM

Apr 2012
I prefer Final Fantasy by a mile. Final Fantasy IV is one of my favorite games of all time.
I played Tales of Abyss, Symphonia, Legendia and Vesperia. I thought they were good but I prefer the gameplay/atmosphere/story of some of the FF games.
Jan 7, 2014 5:08 PM

Jan 2010
Shin Megami Tensei and Pokemon Trolololol

Both are good but I've enjoyed more Final Fantasies than Tales games.

Tales Of The Abyss is best tales game I've played and that was aight.

Final Fantasy 4, 6-10 and 12 were dope.
Jan 7, 2014 5:36 PM

Jul 2009
NotJizzyHitler said:
Chillingflames said:
Fai said:
SadTreeButler said:

As long as he doesnt repeat the past and make noctis and pals all coincidentally forget that they grew up in a orphanage together and only then are suddenly conflicted with fighting the villain as a result.

though i think FFXV will at least fall under the KH path where despite is the story and dialogue end up being painful it will be fun to play, and even if the story is horrible in every way, i can at least sleep easy knowing its not white knight chronicles....nothing will ever be as bad as that game's story....or gameplay...or everything
Agreed, I like the real time combat system and the overall gameplay of the KH series as well so it'll be interesting seeing a FF game with a similar style. I'm still hoping that they will somehow pull it off at both ends though.
Jan 8, 2014 1:12 AM

Feb 2013
I love both series' really, but I'm probably more into FF, I've played every game in the main series except for XIV and I love all of them except XI, mainly because I'm not much of an MMO player which is the same reason I haven't played XIV. As for Tales I've only played Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, Graces, and Xillia, I thought all of them had amazing gameplay, but I didn't much care for the story on Graces, the plot was kind of lame and the only character that didn't suck was Pascal even though Asbel was my favorite to play as.
Chillingflames said:
I have the same apprehension, I mean when it comes to gameplay and character design, Nomura clearly knows his stuff, but the stories in his games make absolutely no sense.
AversaJan 8, 2014 1:47 PM
Jan 8, 2014 1:38 AM

Feb 2012
Fai said:
Yes, pressing A repeatedly while wannabe pink haired idol does movie animations on screen is innovative.

A?

Anyway, I don't know what you're talking about. FF XIII is the hardest FF game to date in terms of difficulty in battles. People don't seem to get that the point was more in the paradigm system, which you absolutely have to master if you want to get anywhere in the game. I bet you weren't even able to beat it.
Jan 8, 2014 6:18 AM

Jun 2011
mecharobot said:
Fai said:

A?

Anyway, I don't know what you're talking about. FF XIII is the hardest FF game to date in terms of difficulty in battles. People don't seem to get that the point was more in the paradigm system, which you absolutely have to master if you want to get anywhere in the game. I bet you weren't even able to beat it.

I've heard that "press one button to win" criticism being used a lot to describe FFXIII. It made me apprehensive about trying the game, but when I finally did I realized how stupid that statement is. The only time it applies is in the very beginning when you don't have any classes unlocked, or if you're fighting super easy enemies.

If you don't pay attention in harder fights and just keep pressing auto-battle, you'll die. Changing paradigms is analogous to selecting commands in traditional FF games, it's just more strategic rather than direct control.
Jan 8, 2014 7:15 AM

Jul 2007
mecharobot said:
Fai said:

A?

In FF6 you can get wiped in first few battles.

FF13 you can play blindfolded, continuously mashing the same button.
Jan 8, 2014 7:55 AM
Mar 2011
Narmy said:
mecharobot said:
Fai said:

A?

I've heard that "press one button to win" criticism being used a lot to describe FFXIII. It made me apprehensive about trying the game, but when I finally did I realized how stupid that statement is. The only time it applies is in the very beginning when you don't have any classes unlocked, or if you're fighting super easy enemies.

If you don't pay attention in harder fights and just keep pressing auto-battle, you'll die. Changing paradigms is analogous to selecting commands in traditional FF games, it's just more strategic rather than direct control.

sorry but FF XII is less strategic than any of the other games later on one reason Army of one most over powerd attack in FF history
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jan 8, 2014 8:50 AM
Nov 2009
Fai said:
Final Fantasy has been on a drug induced trip to death and insanity ever since squeenix happened.

I definitely agree with that.

Regarding the Tales of... series, I only played the first game which was ok. Will play more of them in the future though.
Jan 8, 2014 8:55 AM

Dec 2013
I prefer them both equally, with no problem for either.
Professional MyAnimeList Welcomer.
I prefer subbed anime over dubbed.
Looking for some short story manga suggestions to get me started.
Jan 8, 2014 8:58 AM

Sep 2011
If tales of zestria really is like xenoblade's open envirements with battles that take place on the actual field rather than touching them and moving to confined spaces then i think we may have a contender for best rpg gameplay coming up, lets just hope we get a tales of the abyss or symphonia storyline and not a legendia or innocence one

Chillingflames said:
NotJizzyHitler said:
Chillingflames said:
Fai said:
SadTreeButler said:

Agreed, I like the real time combat system and the overall gameplay of the KH series as well so it'll be interesting seeing a FF game with a similar style. I'm still hoping that they will somehow pull it off at both ends though.
i mean FFXV is a multi effort of square so i feel more confident if there are people working as a group with him rather than him on his own, i mean we will see, the reason FFVIII and KH's story were such a mess were partially due to its cheesiness, FFXV seems to be taking a more serious and darker route, they were saying it was based heaivlly off the story of hamlet so we will see how it goes, regardless if nomura is writing or not FFXV is probably one of my most anticipated games. its the only next generation games ive seen that actually looks like the gameplay is taking advantage of new technology and not just making everything pretty but with mediocre game play possible on the ps2 (looking at you killzone shadowfall)

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jan 8, 2014 6:48 PM

Feb 2013
Fai said:
mecharobot said:

In FF6 you can get wiped in first few battles.

FF13 you can play blindfolded, continuously mashing the same button.
No offense, but if you died anywhere prior to the Floating Continent of FF VI, you must just suck at that game because that's about where it starts actually getting hard.
Jan 8, 2014 10:29 PM

Oct 2012
Tales.
Jan 8, 2014 10:33 PM
Mar 2011
to evey ones who sayign tales if oyu have played under 33% of the Franchise 30 plus games atm how ould one say its better than a franchse witch alot of your would have played alot more of

Jan 8, 2014 10:50 PM

May 2012
Tales. I have put a lot more hours into it even though I only have Vesperia, Legendia, Abyss, Symphonia, Xilia, and Graces. I have all the FFs except 3 and 4, and have only put maybe 200-220 hours into the series a whole, including dissidia 012 and Tactics, tactics advance, etc.

I generally enjoy the Tales games more because I dislike random battles, and while I play plenty of turn based games, and admit they can be innovative and difficult to master sometimes, they just can't compare to the action style combat of games like Tales, Grandia, Star Ocean, etc.
Jan 9, 2014 1:30 AM

May 2010
Obviously Final Fantasy. However Tales is very dear to me, the stories are just not as compelling or memorable. Sometimes FF is really... really in depth, too (not always though). Tales generally has a consistent level of depth throughout the series. Tales' stories are hit and miss with me as well as the characters.

Example:
Phantasia - Meh
Destiny - No
Destiny 2 - Haven't played it
Eternia - It's okay
Symphonia - Great
Legendia - what the fuck
Symphonia 2 - No. NO.
Abyss - Yes. YES. Near Symphonia.
Vesperia - No. (I don't understand why everyone loves it)
Graces - Yes. Very yes. Under Abyss as far as story/characters.
Xillia - Good but lacking.

Generally gameplay in all those games have gotten better over time. While with FF I've liked all of them except 6 and 12. (and 11, barely played it though)
Jan 9, 2014 2:46 AM

Feb 2012
Shioxus said:
I generally enjoy the Tales games more because I dislike random battles, and while I play plenty of turn based games, and admit they can be innovative and difficult to master sometimes, they just can't compare to the action style combat of games like Tales, Grandia, Star Ocean, etc.

I definitely agree on this. It's quite hard for me to play even famous classic JRPGs like say Legend of the Dragoon or Chrono Cross (which I've dropped like three times now), when they're just so slow and unresponsive. Not to mention after 60, maybe 70 JRPGs that I've played it is getting on my nerves to learn the optimal uses of certain sub-systems.

If you want to have a decent TBS system, keep it clear, keep it fast and keep it simple ( no stupid gimmics). It's hard for me to understand the outcry for all these crappy systems to come back. Must be people being nostalgic about them. Stuff like Star Ocean, what little of what I've played from Tales and even stuff like Ys is just miles more fun to actually not feel like every battle is a chore.
Jan 9, 2014 3:36 AM
Mar 2011
mecharobot said:
Shioxus said:

I definitely agree on this. It's quite hard for me to play even famous classic JRPGs like say Legend of the Dragoon or Chrono Cross (which I've dropped like three times now), when they're just so slow and unresponsive. Not to mention after 60, maybe 70 JRPGs that I've played it is getting on my nerves to learn the optimal uses of certain sub-systems.

If you want to have a decent TBS system, keep it clear, keep it fast and keep it simple ( no stupid gimmics). It's hard for me to understand the outcry for all these crappy systems to come back. Must be people being nostalgic about them. Stuff like Star Ocean, what little of what I've played from Tales and even stuff like Ys is just miles more fun to actually not feel like every battle is a chore.

most battles in most tradtional rpgs are not hard any more last time i got any sort of diffulaity from a boss in FF IX Ozma whilw Penance in FF X was hard nothing of what ozmawas

and in Ys a franchise iv loved for years from it PC days minus V normnak version the games wer Hard but not that hard

and No Tales game has ever made be struggle at all it took me a mont[rreal time ] 28 Hours [ game time] to beeat Xiila 2 that one huge isuues iv had with all team wolf made RPGs there good but to easy

thats the curse of mondern RPGs though even the Old guard like FE are getting less hard to beat being able to remove perma oe semi perma death in any Srpg is taking the S out of SRPG ]

what im mean by semi perma death is like is Agarest games were oyu have to 1000 gold per level to revive a fallen party member [ that is hard at the begiing and right at the end of the game ] is you want the true ending that is

Jan 9, 2014 3:52 AM

Feb 2012
I'm not talking about the difficulty. I'm talking about how hard or easy they are to enjoy. For example, Chrono Cross difficulty is a frigging joke. It is ridiculously easy, but it's hard to play because I have no fun with battles with slow animations, zero challenge, nor do I enjoy the elemental grid or the level system. I don't even understand what determines when enemy turn comes up. Why all this crap? What was wrong with Chrono Trigger system? These are the kind of things I'm thinking when I say it is hard for me to play them.
Jan 9, 2014 7:16 AM
Mar 2011
mecharobot said:
I'm not talking about the difficulty. I'm talking about how hard or easy they are to enjoy. For example, Chrono Cross difficulty is a frigging joke. It is ridiculously easy, but it's hard to play because I have no fun with battles with slow animations, zero challenge, nor do I enjoy the elemental grid or the level system. I don't even understand what determines when enemy turn comes up. Why all this crap? What was wrong with Chrono Trigger system? These are the kind of things I'm thinking when I say it is hard for me to play them.

im no lover Chrono Cross either my post was less about talkng about defanding Chrono Cross talking about why i will always like FF more than Tales OF[ Main games] im like im not a fan of speading 6000-7800 yen on an RPG that give me under 45 hours play to 100%]

Jan 9, 2014 7:22 AM

Jun 2011
In my opinion, Shin Megami Tensei is better than both.
But if your really want to know:
Old FF>Tales
New FF<Tales
Jan 9, 2014 7:26 AM
Mar 2011
ArdenFolgore said:
In my opinion, Shin Megami Tensei is better than both.
But if your really want to know:
Old FF>Tales
New FF<Tales

post okada mega ten is just as bad

Jan 9, 2014 7:31 AM

Nov 2013
Final Fantasy games have some of the best original soundtracks you will ever hear.

As for gameplay, I prefer the tales games. Just because I love the characters from each game more than FF and I find Tales games to be more enjoyable.
Jan 9, 2014 7:33 AM

Sep 2011
yadayada said:
Final Fantasy games have some of the best original soundtracks you will ever hear.

As for gameplay, I prefer the tales games. Just because I love the characters from each game more than FF and I find Tales games to be more enjoyable.
its easy to love the tales cast a bit more most of the time because of skits, one of my favorite thing about tales of is how thanks to the skits you are always kept in a loop of what the characters are doing and interacting, xillia the most thanks to the side quests that had legit cut-scenes and plot relevance that helped give back story on characters and their relationships

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

53 by BitChilly »»
12 minutes ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

523 by lcee_15 »»
2 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
4 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
Yesterday, 9:54 PM

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
Yesterday, 6:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.