Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2013 6:56 AM

May 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty good episode.
Amuro didn't get to meet Agasa though ://
Dec 28, 2013 12:00 PM

Nov 2008
Amuro will obviously be a very dangerous opponent for anyone attempting to fight him hand-to-hand.
Dec 29, 2013 11:16 AM

May 2012
dbaranyi said:
Amuro will obviously be a very dangerous opponent for anyone attempting to fight him hand-to-hand.

Yes though he did say that he can't use his arms that well because of an injury he got when he was younger?
Ep 705 I think.
Dec 29, 2013 12:48 PM

Nov 2008
k11chi said:
dbaranyi said:

Yes though he did say that he can't use his arms that well because of an injury he got when he was younger?
Ep 705 I think.

If that's true, I'd hate to face him at his full potential... LOL
Jan 1, 2014 8:18 PM

May 2013
This case was very good. I like the set up of this case with the Detective Boys accidentally trapping themselves in a truck with a corpse. That forced them to figure out a way to get out without getting caught. I liked Conan's creative way of sending the messages to Amuro and Subaru. The most interesting thing about this case is Conan seeking help from Amuro despite him a member of the Black Organization. That created a little tension on top of the situation with the corpse and the delivery guys.
Conan_KudoJan 1, 2014 9:44 PM
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Feb 8, 2014 4:25 PM

Nov 2010
Conan, I don't think that is what you could call a code. And why did Mitsuhiko get hypothermia when Haibara is only wearing his coat, she only has underwear on underneath and she seemed fine. Anyways it was an average case.
Aug 14, 2014 7:31 AM

Jun 2010
This was a neat little concept, but I don't think it could really fill two episodes. There is so much padding and sluggishness here.

We don't even really need to know why these two truck drivers killed a guy, but it spends minutes giving us a clunky explanation. Mitsuhiko nearly freezing seems to just be to give out some more Ai fanservice.
Sep 20, 2014 5:33 PM

Jun 2008
I prefer Ai/Ayumi over Ai/Mitsuhiko but the coat sharing thing was cute.

If Amuro was in all the Detective Boy episodes, they would be a lot more tolerable.
Oct 29, 2014 6:11 PM

Apr 2009
Bourbon saves detective boys? Is he really a bad guy?
Feb 22, 2016 1:19 AM

Jul 2008
Oh boy, now Bourbon knows where they live...good job Conan.
May 12, 2016 3:33 PM
May 2010
Case File #722/#723
The Sweet and Cold Delivery

• New Character: Taii, a stray cat that often visits the cafe below Kogoro's detective agency

This two-parter turned the anime into the Japanese Scooby-Doo, if such a comparison didn't long exist already since a long time ago. The criminals' plan was foolproof enough that it would have worked if it weren't for those meddling kids. It even comes with its own animal mascot this time, albeit a cat instead of a dog.

Usually, I try not to let plot-contrivances bother me as I know they're an inevitable product of storytelling, but I still have to call out extremely unrealistic conveniences that made the whole story seemed dumb. It becomes especially stupid when the criminals confess their entire manslaughter and attempt to cover-up the crime for the convenience of the audience. This is the equivalent of Bond villain terrible writing. Even the ending to this arc ends with "You can't escape my clutches now, dumb kids! Mwahahahaha!", albeit not verbatim. The kids couldn't just call the police of course because that one officer Conan knows just happens to be on a plane that's about to take off and had to turn off his cell phone. And because, you know, they couldn't just dial 110 to call upon other police officers like normal Japanese. And just as the phone battery is about to die out, Conan's call to Prof. Agasa is wasted because he's in the middle of cooking doughnuts... Sigh. Seriously? The plot would have been non-existent without these weird triggers of Murphy's Law.

And I'm not even finished.

The entire case begins due to Conan's carelessness in a refrigerated truck. How dumb do you have to be to not know that being in a refrigerated truck is dangerous? After being trapped, his intelligence magically returns as he remembers to close the lids of the cardboard box hiding the body they discovered, but paying attention to those dangerous truck doors that would seal them off would be oh noooo, way too complex of a task for our brilliant detective. Not to mention the fact that the entire case only becomes resolved because Prof. Agasa's cake happens to be on this one particular truck out of the hundreds out there. In fact, how about the fact that the case would have been resolved if Conan didn't wait for his tranquilizer watch to run out of battery or gone cold from the refrigeration? Why didn't he just use that immediately after they discovered a dead body?

So when you try to show me a 'race against time' that hinges on these dumb contrivances, I ended up not feeling that excitement you want me to feel, at all. What the heck are you doing, Gosho? This level of terrible writing is beneath you.

Putting that aside, Conan's process of solving the case does provide the audience with some educational content. But when it comes down to it, this case felt so dumb I couldn't give a damn about whatever merits this case have.

Overall Rating: ★★½
Mystery Complexity Level: ★★★★
Crime: Manslaughter, spoliation of evidence, and eventually death threat
Criminal Motive: Accident turned escaping the law
Was the victim a jerk? No
May 1, 2020 1:25 PM

Jun 2007
such a dumb case lol
ai/mitsuhiko fanservice wtf crazy shite
see you, space cowperson . . .
Jun 14, 2022 1:01 AM

Nov 2021
I see... Amuro lied about looking and finding the coded receipt... ok ok ok he just happened to pass by 😉

More topics from this board

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 315 Discussion

IntroverTurtle - Nov 27, 2013

5 by KoniginElle »»
Today, 7:11 AM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 1089 Discussion

shuffle_017 - Jul 8, 2023

23 by aburame_ernesto »»
Yesterday, 7:20 PM

Poll: » Meitantei Conan Episode 1120 Discussion

hai_X_is - Apr 13

3 by Ranxomare »»
Apr 24, 11:24 AM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 47 Discussion

Jawaese - Aug 23, 2010

11 by Vivid_7 »»
Apr 21, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 704 Discussion

Conan_Kudo - Aug 3, 2013

38 by Elyshion »»
Apr 20, 5:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.