Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Which format do you use in your list?

Nov 6, 2013 9:41 AM

How about the option of using international standard format for List dates (YYYY-MM-DD), in addition to the American & European ones?
Modified by titaniachkt, Jun 29, 2015 6:41 AM
Manga Sorted By Theme                         Anime Sorted By Theme

Nov 6, 2013 9:49 AM

The more, the merrier. Why not? ;)
As for the poll, I'm using the European style myself, as I live in Central Europe, but it wouldn't really bother me much even if I would be using the American style.

Nov 6, 2013 5:38 PM

I would like an additional option of YYYY-MM-DD format since it's something I frequently see used in Japanese websites.

For the poll, i'm using the European DD-MM-YY (or YYYY), as it is the same format being used in Australia.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).

Jun 28, 2015 6:38 PM

YYYY-MM-DD seems like it would be ideal.
I've been using that format on my computer and everywhere I can, as it just makes more sense in terms of data sorting.

Would really like to see this reflected on MAL as well.
::End of Transmission::

Apr 11, 2017 6:39 AM

BUMP

I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet.
::End of Transmission::

Apr 11, 2017 1:59 PM

Weird. I thought I had posted in a similar thread like this in the past. (Maybe it was on some other forums/website ... at least on MAL I can't find any other thread with the same suggestion. The guy that made the suggestion referred to the format as "Asian" - it apparently is used a lot in some Asian countries.)

I support this. I'm from Europe. The weird order with MM-DD-YY doesn't make any sense to me. Either biggest unit at the beginning, smallest unit at the end. Or vice versa.

I prefer the international format since it is best for order/sorting stuff. While searching you first look for the year and then go to the smaller units. (Wouldn't make sense the other way ... to look first for the day and then you hat lots of months of lots of years with that day and looking for the month next ...)

Best would be YYYY-MM-DD - this avoids misunderstandings regarding the year. (But since it is only for our personal setting/viewing I guess it's not that important.) Even better if the month was 3 letters abbreviated. (I think this is "MMM" then.) This would still not be too long.

Like 2017-Apr-11 - best order and no room for misunderstandings. (It's clear that the 4 digits are the year and the 3 letters mean the month. Last one can only be day then.)

Apr 14, 2017 12:26 AM
Lorekeeper

I support a YYYY-MM-DD format.

This is how I title all of my own documents online anyway so I can just use 'sort by name' as a more effective 'sort by date' option, to counter all of these 'most recently updated' and other annoying automatic features employed by many websites.

Apr 14, 2017 8:13 AM

I can't see the point of it. Did I missed something?

Apr 20, 2017 1:33 AM
Lorekeeper

sasalx said:

I'd say you've missed two important things:

1) YYYY-MM-DD is the format used in the country of origin for most of the material covered on this website.

2) Reason given in my post before yours.

Apr 20, 2017 3:00 AM

Felkyr said:
sasalx said:

I'd say you've missed two important things:

1) YYYY-MM-DD is the format used in the country of origin for most of the material covered on this website.

2) Reason given in my post before yours.

As for one since we are not arguing about MM-DD or DD-MM it is not hard to understand. I mean we don't need to swap it since you can do it in your mind easily.

As for two since it is your preference well good for you.