Which format do you use in your list?
American (MM-DD-YY)
11.1%
European (DD-MM-YY)
88.9%
36 votes
Nov 6, 2013 9:41 AM

Jan 2009
How about the option of using international standard format for List dates (YYYY-MM-DD), in addition to the American & European ones?

Mod Edit: Tagged title, closed irrelevant poll.

Kineta said:
Suggestion Status: Picked Up

I've added this request to our internal list. It seems like a straightforward and small change that would benefit many people.
If you haven't posted in this thread yet, please feel free to bump it if you would also like to see this added.
KinetaMar 7, 2022 12:04 PM
Manga Sorted By Theme                         Anime Sorted By Theme
Nov 6, 2013 9:49 AM

Mar 2013
The more, the merrier. Why not? ;)
As for the poll, I'm using the European style myself, as I live in Central Europe, but it wouldn't really bother me much even if I would be using the American style.
Nov 6, 2013 5:38 PM

Nov 2007
I would like an additional option of YYYY-MM-DD format since it's something I frequently see used in Japanese websites.

For the poll, i'm using the European DD-MM-YY (or YYYY), as it is the same format being used in Australia.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Jun 28, 2015 6:38 PM

Mar 2014
YYYY-MM-DD seems like it would be ideal.
I've been using that format on my computer and everywhere I can, as it just makes more sense in terms of data sorting.

Would really like to see this reflected on MAL as well.
::End of Transmission::

Apr 11, 2017 6:39 AM

Mar 2014
BUMP

I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet.
::End of Transmission::

Apr 11, 2017 1:59 PM

Dec 2015
Weird. I thought I had posted in a similar thread like this in the past. (Maybe it was on some other forums/website ... at least on MAL I can't find any other thread with the same suggestion. The guy that made the suggestion referred to the format as "Asian" - it apparently is used a lot in some Asian countries.)

I support this. I'm from Europe. The weird order with MM-DD-YY doesn't make any sense to me. Either biggest unit at the beginning, smallest unit at the end. Or vice versa.

I prefer the international format since it is best for order/sorting stuff. While searching you first look for the year and then go to the smaller units. (Wouldn't make sense the other way ... to look first for the day and then you hat lots of months of lots of years with that day and looking for the month next ...)

Best would be YYYY-MM-DD - this avoids misunderstandings regarding the year. (But since it is only for our personal setting/viewing I guess it's not that important.) Even better if the month was 3 letters abbreviated. (I think this is "MMM" then.) This would still not be too long.

Like 2017-Apr-11 - best order and no room for misunderstandings. (It's clear that the 4 digits are the year and the 3 letters mean the month. Last one can only be day then.)
Apr 14, 2017 12:26 AM

Oct 2016
I support a YYYY-MM-DD format.

This is how I title all of my own documents online anyway so I can just use 'sort by name' as a more effective 'sort by date' option, to counter all of these 'most recently updated' and other annoying automatic features employed by many websites.
Apr 14, 2017 8:13 AM

Sep 2012

I can't see the point of it. Did I missed something?
Apr 20, 2017 1:33 AM

Oct 2016
sasalx said:

I'd say you've missed two important things:

1) YYYY-MM-DD is the format used in the country of origin for most of the material covered on this website.

2) Reason given in my post before yours.
Apr 20, 2017 3:00 AM

Sep 2012
Felkyr said:
sasalx said:

I'd say you've missed two important things:

1) YYYY-MM-DD is the format used in the country of origin for most of the material covered on this website.

2) Reason given in my post before yours.

As for one since we are not arguing about MM-DD or DD-MM it is not hard to understand. I mean we don't need to swap it since you can do it in your mind easily.

As for two since it is your preference well good for you.
Dec 19, 2017 9:07 AM
Jul 2018
Why is there no ability to set the date format to YYYY-MM-DD (ISO 8601) in list settings?
Dec 19, 2017 1:17 PM

Sep 2015
Probably because not too many countries use it as native format in daily life.
I mean mine does, but I don't miss it that much to complain about it on a foreign site.
Jul 4, 2020 2:10 PM
Apr 2016
Currently, the settings page allows choosing American (MM-DD-YY) and European (DD-MM-YY) date styles.
ISO 8601 (yyyy-mm-dd) is completely unambiguous -- please consider supporting it
Jul 4, 2020 3:01 PM

Aug 2018
The only people who would use ISO 8601 are programmer. This sit wasn't made for them.
_______I like rocks__
Mar 6, 2022 7:24 PM

Sep 2013
I would like the ISO 8601 year-month-day date format selectable in settings. I see now the only choices are "American" and "European", but there's nothing for the one date format that is an international standard. I tend to use YMD dates in many other places and would to have the option here as well. Best paired with 24 hour time as well.
Mar 7, 2022 12:02 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Suggestion Status: Picked Up

I've added this request to our internal list. It seems like a straightforward and small change that would benefit many people.
If you haven't posted in this thread yet, please feel free to bump it if you would also like to see this added.

---
Threads merged.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Yesterday, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.