Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 27, 2013 6:00 PM

Apr 2013
I have a lot of catching up to do, I'm well-aware of that. So I'm gonna start by saying that I've been watching all of the notable anime shows of their time frame (and 2006 had A LOT of them) while watching the newer ones (like Watamote which ended last week, I think). So when someone recommended for me to watch Lovely Complex, you can say that I did some research, looked like a good show. "Sweet! I can totally watch this!"

I'm on Episode 13, and I still dislike this show. The comedy looks waaaay too overdone, the background music plays the wrong melodies at the wrong times, the story feels generic, and I know that the whole "height complex" thing is one of the major defining factors of this show, but they've already played out the dense character card and I'm sure they used the height difference as an excuse to use it. It's not as people say, the "not your typical anime show", because everything about it, no matter what angle I look at it, makes it look like it's set up this way to bring just about another generic rom-com to the market.

Maybe I'm being too overly-critical and I hope it gets any better, because I hate panning anime shows. Anybody who's seen it, does it get any better?
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Sep 27, 2013 6:04 PM

Sep 2012
If you don't like it, drop it. I ended up enjoying it but it's definitely overrated. I also found the main girl's voice to be infuriating.
Sep 28, 2013 12:13 AM

Apr 2013
Well, that's the other issue. I'm very, what I call, "focused" when it comes to anime shows. I have never dropped a series before, only because I do not like to criticize shows I haven't seen the whole way through (and that might be the death of me). Lovely Complex, I don't like it so far. But I have that stigma that forces me to watch it anyways and get it over with.

Well, we'll see how that goes.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Sep 28, 2013 8:42 AM
Mar 2013
I watched this anime every night while I was in Japan, and I had some very good laughs!

I don't know what episode 13 was about, but things do get better, at least it did for me, since the height difference doesn't become a factor later on. Ootani and Koizumi are very similar in very many ways.

The voice actors were A+ to me. If you haven't noticed, it could be very hard to pull off a specific Japanese country accent and Koizumi especially nailed it.

But I understand if you end up disliking it since this story isn't for anyone, but if you relax and don't look too closely at the details, it can be very enjoyable.
Sep 29, 2013 12:50 AM

Apr 2013
iggyseyebrows said:
I watched this anime every night while I was in Japan, and I had some very good laughs!

I don't know what episode 13 was about, but things do get better, at least it did for me, since the height difference doesn't become a factor later on. Ootani and Koizumi are very similar in very many ways.

The voice actors were A+ to me. If you haven't noticed, it could be very hard to pull off a specific Japanese country accent and Koizumi especially nailed it.

But I understand if you end up disliking it since this story isn't for anyone, but if you relax and don't look too closely at the details, it can be very enjoyable.

Still on Episode 17, hopeful things will still pick up. But as far as I know, I've seen shows like this that I really want to like but haven't given me a reason to. It kinda pisses me off since I really want to like them, but in the end, I simply don't.

Oh well, guess there's my double-edged sword. :/
Oct 1, 2013 12:48 AM

Nov 2011
Honestly I feel the same way- And I'm a girl who actually is IN a relationship kinda like this (we're the same height but if I wear shoes with ANY heel or platform I'm taller), yet I still didn't enjoy it all that much. I finished it but I don't understand why people think it's the greatest thing ever- It's cute, but at some point the main girl really started to annoy me and the main guy was too much of a jerk.

I think it's still a good series, but it's not as amazing as everyone says- Or, maybe, I'm just too old for drama-shoujo.
Oct 1, 2013 12:48 AM

May 2012
Keep watching you'll love it.

Don't take my word for it though I've never seen it.
Oct 1, 2013 2:34 AM

Apr 2013
Eh probably my favorite thing about Lovely Complex is the comedy.I was laughing all the way through while watching it and comedy is highly subjective so there's nothing to do if it's not for you.

"they've already played out the dense character card and I'm sure they used the height difference as an excuse to use"
I don't think it's an excuse. Otani being dense is just part of his character,and it makes perfect sense why the thought of Risa liking him never crossed his mind (at least it does to me).This IS the same girl who Otani knows very well likes the tall handsome type and she already had a crush on someone like that,not to mention keeps making fun of him for his height.
While Otani being dense got a little frustration because you want to see them together and you start feeling sorry for Risa,it didn't really annoy me or make me dislike his character,plus it made it much better for when they finally end up together.Worth mentioning here that I also loved the romance later one.
Oct 1, 2013 3:58 PM

Aug 2012
If you're like me, then you probably dropped it because of the comedy. I personally can't see how someone can arrive at a 10/10 with this show, but that's just me spouting shit about a series I haven't completed.

I'm also heavily biased toward watching a romance from the guy's point of view, so that may also be a contributing factor as to why I dropped it.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Oct 1, 2013 4:05 PM

Dec 2012
gamer2710 said:
If you're like me, then you probably dropped it because of the comedy. I personally can't see how someone can arrive at a 10/10 with this show, but that's just me spouting shit about a series I haven't completed.

I'm also heavily biased toward watching a romance from the guy's point of view, so that may also be a contributing factor as to why I dropped it.

You mean girl pov?
Jan 29, 2014 5:43 AM

Nov 2013
I just can't watch the anime after reading the manga. The plot is so rushed and Risa's seiyuu completely destroys her character.. It's so freaking difficult to take her seriously during the heartfelt moments I treasured so much. I only see and hear Nami.

Manga is still perfection.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lovely Complex Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Aug 6, 2007

61 by Izeekruns »»
Apr 29, 4:24 PM

Poll: » Lovely Complex Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

icerydragon - Jun 3, 2007

61 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 7, 3:15 PM

Poll: » Lovely Complex Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Enn - Jun 1, 2007

98 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 7, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Lovely Complex Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayrhandros - May 24, 2007

82 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 7, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Lovely Complex Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 16, 2007

63 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 7, 12:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.