Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 13, 2013 7:19 PM

Jun 2013
Rosagorrym said:
You have to be kidding me. I wasn't seriously using that trip as a reference. I was just adding humor into debate thats getting more and more heated. The part about drugs and criminals was serious, though. The country obviously isn't overrun with them, so that probably means the kids didn't grow up into to terrible of people for not being spanked.

Yeah, my thread was supposed to make people happy :(

What just happened?
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Sep 13, 2013 7:19 PM

Aug 2013
Rosagorrym said:
You have to be kidding me. I wasn't seriously using that trip as a reference. I was just adding humor into debate thats getting more and more heated. The part about drugs and criminals was serious, though. The country obviously isn't overrun with them, so that probably means the kids didn't grow up into to terrible of people for not being spanked.

Yeah, my ass you aren't being serious. You just stated it again there.
Tell me, since fucking when does spanking increase your chances of being a criminal or a drug addict?

Sep 13, 2013 7:20 PM

Dec 2010
Yeah. Bad memories.

Sep 13, 2013 7:22 PM

Jul 2013
-Muuse- said:
Rosagorrym said:

Yeah, my ass you aren't being serious. You just stated it again there.
Tell me, since fucking when does spanking increase your chances of being a criminal or a drug addict?

Of course I was being serious on that part. And are taking my statement entirely the wrong way. I am saying spankings are unecessary to raise a good person, and used Sweden as an example. I never said because someone is spanked they are a criminal. I said because they are not spanked, that does not mean they are a criminal. Savvy?

Edit:
PS, can we be done soon? I dont really want to fight with you and its kind of headed away from a debate to a fight.
RosagorrymSep 13, 2013 7:25 PM
Hi
Sep 13, 2013 7:38 PM

Aug 2013
Maria_Sama said:
Rosagorrym said:

What just happened?

Domestic abuse comes up too often in physical punishment. It's not a light subject.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Sep 13, 2013 7:44 PM

Aug 2013
Rosagorrym said:
]You have to be kidding me. I wasn't seriously using that trip as a reference . I was just adding humor into debate thats getting more and more heated. The part about drugs and criminals was serious, though. The country obviously isn't overrun with them, so that probably means the kids didn't grow up into to terrible of people for not being spanked.

You are contradicting yourself there. The trip example you gave us only said that you didn't see drug addicts or criminals overrunning the country, so if that part was serious; then all the statement was.
You should thank the education system, law enforcement, etc. That's what keeps the country from being overrun by criminals and drug addicts.
Rosagorrym said:

I said because they are not spanked, that does not mean they are a criminal.

"If a kid is not spanked, it doesn't mean he is a criminal"
No shit, really?

I could keep pointing out inconsistencies in your argument, but I think I'm fucking done after reading that.
MuuseSep 13, 2013 7:48 PM
Sep 13, 2013 7:51 PM

Jul 2013
I did not use that trip as a reference for Swedish crime statistics. I used the internet.

And thanks for being done. I'm impulsive and if we kept going I would have just kept on arguing my point and getting angry. Since you decided to stop, I won't have anyone to argue against so this is done :)
Hi
Sep 13, 2013 7:52 PM

Dec 2012
I was a prick, so I got hit a lot...

Sep 13, 2013 7:53 PM

Sep 2012
Bubbjes said:
I used to get hit on the butt when I was misbehaving, but that was when I was really young.
This pretty much.

-Muuse- said:
It is psychological, you eventually associate the occurrence of a negative stimulus (being hit) with behaving badly. Therefore you try to avoid that outcome by behaving well.
This is the desired effect.

It's called positive punishment operant conditioning. Operant conditioning is the process in which behavior is modified by means of enforcing external stimulus in correspondence with the specific trait you want to modify. "Punishment" means that you want to try and decrease a specific behavior, in this case, a "bad" behavior. The "positive" refers to the addition of external stimuli, in this case, physical pain. If it were "negative" punishment in this case, that would refer to taking a stimulus away, such as removing TV privileges.

The physical pain in correspondence with the act of "being bad" creates a psychological tendency to try and avoid doing whatever act that is associated with the pain.

But positive punishment results vary from effective, to unreliable, all the way to having the reverse of the desired effect. Subjects who undergo punishment often develop avoidance behaviors toward the punisher, who in this case would be the parents. This would be problematic for any parent-child relationship, especially at a younger age.

Punishment often doesn't solve problems, but merely suppresses them. So when the punishment becomes less likely to happen, say, when the punisher (parent) is not around, the effects of the punishment is greatly reduced and the subject is more likely to continue doing whatever they were conditioned to stop doing.

Punishment often results in undesirable modeling. If a child perceives that adults solve most of their problems by employing punishment, that child is likely to resort to punishment to solve his or her own problems. It imprints upon them the message, "Mom and dad solve problems by hitting, so I will solve problems by hitting". This leads to problematic children who are overly aggressive, violent, and potentially dangerous toward their peers.

A person who has been frustrated through punishment is likely to be upset. Depending on the person's level of maturity and the degree to which the person holds the punisher responsible for the aversiveness of the situation, the recipient of punishment is likely to want to "get even". The desire for "revenge" against the punisher from children can cause even more problematic behavior, and make the problem worse instead of better.

There are more adverse effects of punishment, but I'll spare you. You can look them up if you're really interested.

It can be effective if administered properly, but the side effects can greatly vary, and the results often unpredictable.
Sep 13, 2013 7:56 PM

Jan 2009
back when i was a bad kid they whip my ass for disciplinary purposes
Sep 13, 2013 7:56 PM

Aug 2013
The most I ever got was a slap from my mom once for talking back and the belt from my dad the few times I was being a spoiled brat, looking back I'm quite grateful they kept me in line.
Sep 13, 2013 8:05 PM

Oct 2012
no because i'm a good boy
RRRRRRRRRR
Sep 13, 2013 8:07 PM

Oct 2011
beavis2323 said:

Stop lying, Beavis. You're probably being spanked at this very moment.
Sep 13, 2013 8:10 PM

Oct 2012
Polychrome said:
beavis2323 said:

i'm not why would i lie about that
RRRRRRRRRR
Sep 13, 2013 8:12 PM

Jan 2013
*smh* Kids these days...
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Sep 13, 2013 8:15 PM

Dec 2012
beavis2323 said:
Polychrome said:
beavis2323 said:

i'm not why would i lie about that

To make yourself to better than the rest of us >:I
Sep 13, 2013 8:23 PM

Jun 2012
I whooped when I misbehaved, until I was about 9. Now, I just get my laptop and phone taken away......then I have to go outside.
Sep 13, 2013 8:27 PM

Aug 2013

Yes, I am aware of Operant Conditioning and how it works, I simply didn't wanna write too much and keep it simple. I only studied psychology for 2 years in high school, so most of my knowledge is gone and I didn't want to write any conceptual mistakes as well.

What I would add to your last statement, however, is that the possibility for development of side effects depends on parenting skill.
Sep 13, 2013 8:29 PM

Nov 2012
Yes they rape me
Sep 13, 2013 8:29 PM

Sep 2012
-Muuse- said:

Yes, I am aware of Operant Conditioning and how it works, I simply didn't wanna write too much and keep it simple. I only studied psychology for 2 years in high school, so most of my knowledge is gone and I didn't want to write any conceptual mistakes as well.

What I would add to your last statement, however, is that the possibility for development of side effects depends on parenting skill.
I was mostly expanding off of your post. It wasn't meant specifically for you lol, but more in general for everybody.

Sorry.
Sep 13, 2013 8:31 PM

Jun 2012
Xinistrad said:
Yes they rape me

Inserting is different from hitting.
Sep 13, 2013 8:32 PM

Aug 2013
Red_Keys said:
I was mostly expanding off of your post. It wasn't meant specifically for you lol, but more in general for everybody.

Sorry.

Ohh, okay. No need to apologize anyway, I didn't take it harshly nor did I intend to sound aggressive or anything.
Sep 13, 2013 8:36 PM

Jun 2013
MEanimaniac1 said:
Xinistrad said:
Yes they rape me

Inserting is different from hitting.

Wish I had parents like that :(
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Sep 13, 2013 9:19 PM

Jun 2011
My mom was a firm believer in punishing me even though it broke her heart to do it,but she did hit me with a belt and I thank her for it because it made me who I am today :)
Why do you suck at life? Because you let life suck at you. Words to live by courtesy of Ask a Ninja.
Sep 13, 2013 9:23 PM

Jul 2012
I haven't done anything worth getting punished for that Bad.

I started yelling a lot at one point when I was mad and I got in trouble.
Sep 13, 2013 9:37 PM

Aug 2009
In the words of Russell Peters...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMLr5tOjF3A

Personally, I do believe that the white suburbanites get off too easily.

As for me, probably one once or twice. I was a good kid for the most part.

Sep 13, 2013 10:01 PM

Dec 2012
WednesdayMourn said:
I used to get whipped with a belt whenever I did something wrong.

I have gotten into hand on hand combat with my dad a few times
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Sep 13, 2013 10:07 PM

Oct 2009
Yes, when I was little I got it a lot because I'm such a troublemaker.

When I was around 8, I have broke in my cousin home and steal their toys, I know where they put their keys. It was a serious thing that they had called police to report a break in. As a kid I don't understand the concept of stealing or breaking in and I can tell you that I'm glad my parents hit me to senses, if I could go back in time I would hit myself.

There was another time when I played kick the can with my friend, instead of kicking it, I was throwing a palm sized rocks to hit the can, I thought I was smart to think of a genuine idea, until the rocks hit my friend in the head. You see, I nearly killed him or giving him a permanent brain damage and the only thing crossed my mind is "Oh, that gotta be hurt".

Kids couldn't grab complex concepts like that. Even if you give them a long explanation and reasoning, their mind couldn't grasps its reality, to them your story of moral and conscience is the same thing with stories of unicorns and fairies. That is when corporal punishment is necessary.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Sep 13, 2013 10:10 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah.I remember once my mom hit me with her sandal and pulled my hair when I was little.
Sep 13, 2013 10:13 PM

Dec 2009
I hate the polls, I can't vote in it.
I was hit less than 5 times in my life by my dad when I was a kid for being bad, I was following my twin sister's bad example of not coming to eat or when I got reds on my agenda (meaning I did something bad in class when I wasn't in the wrong of getting a red)

It disciplined me though from stopping to follow my somewhat rebellious twin sister. And I became a even better good boy than I already was. By not being rebellious.
Sep 13, 2013 10:26 PM

Aug 2013
Yup, with bendable clothing hangers.....
"One does not simply say no to a loli with animal ears and tail."

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/iAmEcchi
Sep 14, 2013 1:47 AM

Apr 2013
Yup, with a belt, all the time, I was naughty, dat snap sound it makes.

All kids should get beat, it's good for them.
Sep 14, 2013 2:36 AM

Jul 2013
Maria_Sama said:

What just happened?

Oh I hope I didn't make anyone mad because of what I said since I am just happy about having this discussion at least. As you said I have been living in a really thick bubble since I haven't been out of Sweden except for tourism. Sweden is pretty extreme to the rest of the world in how we look at religion, punnishing your child by physical force (was really unaware of this as you maybe noticed), feminism, idk how it is about homosexuality but I guess that too etc.

Gonna write some about how I got my way of looking on punnishing your child by physical force etc. and how it's looked upon in Sweden but putting it under spoiler for those unintrested. And btw when I'm saying being hit by your parents I mean any act of physical punnishment and not beating your kid to death.

But yeah as I said it his highly unacceptable where I live and this is the way I grew up with looking at it resulting in me having a very coloured way of looking at it now. I don't know the other way of looking at it yet so that's why these discussions are very giving for me and as I said I hope they didn't make you guys mad.

And it doesn't look like either of us will convince the other that hitting your child as a punnishment is good/bad so lets just leave it at knowing a bit more about the different ways of looking at it.
Sep 14, 2013 2:40 AM

Jun 2013
-Sloth- said:

Not really.
Sep 14, 2013 2:52 AM

Apr 2013
EVAMAAKU14 said:
-Sloth- said:

Not really.

Care to elaborate?
Sep 14, 2013 3:02 AM

Jul 2013
WednesdayMourn said:
I used to get whipped with a belt whenever I did something wrong.

(y) happens to me all the time when i was younger.
damn, it hurts. hahaha!
Sep 14, 2013 3:46 AM
Jul 2018
Whenever my mum pulled out the big wooden spoon form the drawer, I shut the fuck up. She never even used it.

That happened rarely. I was taught to be a well behaved kid instead of getting punished for being a bad one.

Beating your kid's pointless, a simple warning or taking a few toys away is enough. Parents who beat their kids fail at being good parents.
Sep 14, 2013 3:47 AM

Oct 2012
Nope, the only ones who hit me were my brothers
Sep 14, 2013 3:51 AM

Jun 2013
-Sloth- said:
EVAMAAKU14 said:
-Sloth- said:

Not really.

Care to elaborate?

Before that, can you explain to me why it's good for them?

Physical punishment like your parent(s) gave is pretty unnecessary and not helpful. There are other ways to punish, that is also more beneficial to child too.
EVAMAAKU14Sep 14, 2013 4:39 AM
Sep 14, 2013 4:12 AM

May 2010
I used to either got hit with a belt or got slapped in the face as a punishment for getting into a fight with my older siblings.

Sep 14, 2013 4:15 AM

Aug 2009
Yeah my dad used his belts and clothe hangers on me. He even sent stuff like shoes, plates and glasses flying at me from afar. Got locked up in dark bathrooms for hours. One hot headed man.
Used mom as a shield, but she was a weak one.
Sep 14, 2013 4:29 AM

Jul 2008
Sometimes a good smack on the bum is needed. I still get smacked on my bum regularly...but not by my parents.
Sep 14, 2013 4:37 AM

May 2013
Depends on what i do in my case, when i was a child, my dad will get mad if i leave the house without permission or returns home late, but whenever i did something violent such as picking a fight with someone around my age, my dad would ground me and hit me ( just a slap most of the time, not beating me up like punching me or hitting me with something )

So, yeah, IMO, and i'm no psychologist expert, how you punish a child depends on what he/she do, if what he/she do is a non-violent things such as disfollowing some of the parents orders (which i personally find normal stuff for a kid... what can i say...i'm a naughty little brat ) or yelled at them when he/she is feeling angry, then the parents should not hit the child, just try to explain to them the reasons about why their action is wrong, but if he/she do violent stuffs, then yes, the parents can give them a light physical punishment ( not beating them up, i repeat, just a slap in the wrist, or hitting them lightly, for example ) as long as the parents don't go overboard with the punishment and explain what they did wrong and why it is wrong after all that

Sorry if i can't put my explanation any better, English is not my primary language....
teddygamerSep 14, 2013 4:53 AM
Sep 14, 2013 4:37 AM

Apr 2013
EVAMAAKU14 said:
-Sloth- said:
EVAMAAKU14 said:
-Sloth- said:

Not really.

Care to elaborate?

What positive/beneficial effects did it gave to you? Physical punishment like your parent(s) gave is unnecessary and not helpful. There are other ways to punish, that is also beneficial to child too.

First off, I'd like to make it clear that there's a difference between punishment & abuse, I got punished.
Well I once did a bad thing and after a respective beating I suddenly didn't feel like doing the bad thing anymore.
You could also argue that not getting your fair share of beatings leads to enduring negative effects.
Sure sometimes good parenting would suffice instead, but good parents are few & far between in all honesty. If they aren't capable of going that route a good old sore hiney should do the trick, no?
Sep 14, 2013 4:40 AM
Jul 2018
-Sloth- said:

Well I once did a bad thing and after a respective beating I suddenly didn't feel like doing the bad thing anymore.

So you didn't learn anything. You just didn't do it again so you don't get punished. Something like that could've been done without any beating.
Sep 14, 2013 4:43 AM

Jun 2013
-Sloth- said:
EVAMAAKU14 said:
-Sloth- said:
EVAMAAKU14 said:
-Sloth- said:

Not really.

Care to elaborate?

What positive/beneficial effects did it gave to you? Physical punishment like your parent(s) gave is unnecessary and not helpful. There are other ways to punish, that is also beneficial to child too.

First off, I'd like to make it clear that there's a difference between punishment & abuse, I got punished.
You could also argue that not getting your fair share of beatings leads to enduring negative effects.
Sure sometimes good parenting would suffice instead, but good parents are few & far between in all honesty. If they aren't capable of going that route a good old sore hiney should do the trick, no?

Ah, okey.
Well, in my family, there were no punishments that were physical. Shouting and explaining why it was wrong were enough for me.
Sep 14, 2013 4:43 AM

Apr 2013
TheAsap said:
-Sloth- said:

So you didn't learn anything. You just didn't do it again so you don't get punished. Something like that could've been done without any beating.

No my parents were nice enough to tell me why they were gonna beat me black & blue first.
Sep 14, 2013 7:19 AM
Jun 2012
i think asian parents hit their kids more often lol
Sep 14, 2013 8:00 AM

Dec 2012
Being hit by your parents is like a blessing, a purple badge on the side of your head

wear that badge with pride for your parents love you enough to give you purple badges

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» MLB fans, share information with each other!

-YUMMY- - 2 hours ago

2 by -YUMMY- »»
19 minutes ago

» Do you like Hyperdimension Neptunia? I do...

DesuMaiden - Apr 30

20 by rohan121 »»
24 minutes ago

» Any American Football fans?

Neterosan - Oct 8, 2023

13 by DesuMaiden »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » do you believe that scientific theory are just a theory and scientific consensus are just opinions?

deg - May 3

30 by DesuMaiden »»
31 minutes ago

» What is the weather like in your region

ST63LTH - May 1

28 by DesuMaiden »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.