Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 9, 2013 3:10 PM

Aug 2013
I'm looking for a romance anime that has more in depth storyline and deals with some tragedies. I don't want typical high schooler boy getting into a love triangle-choosing the best girl-forced melodrama type anime. Maybe it'll be better if it doesn't tell the story of high schoolers. It doesn't matter if it is josei/seinen. But no shoujo please. I get bored of them easily.
Sep 9, 2013 3:10 PM

Jun 2007
Nana
Sep 9, 2013 3:18 PM

Feb 2013
nana +1
but you can give ef a tale of
it has actually 5 love stories in the 2 seasons :P
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Sep 9, 2013 3:26 PM

Mar 2012
Spice and Wolf
Sep 9, 2013 3:27 PM
Sep 9, 2013 3:40 PM

Aug 2013
HostClub said:
+nana
+ef a tale of memories
H2O: Footprints in the Sand
watched both ef a tale of memories/melodies and h2o
Sep 9, 2013 4:22 PM

Aug 2012
spice and wolf
the tatami galaxy / yojouhan shinwa taikei
Sep 9, 2013 4:54 PM

Jan 2011
Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Also Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi if you wouldn't mind short stories of the real persons behind the love poems in the Heian classic One Hundred Poets, One Poem Each. Since some of the characters appear in the stories of other poets there is some continuity in it.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 9, 2013 6:14 PM

Feb 2013
spice and wolf + 1 even i wouldnt call it romance but its jsut amazing :P
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Sep 9, 2013 6:17 PM

Jan 2013
Oreimo
Sep 9, 2013 6:28 PM

Jun 2009
rec
Sep 9, 2013 7:42 PM

Feb 2013
Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu
Voices of a Distant Star
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

They're all a bit on the "sad" side though.

I always liked the romance in Escaflowne, but that's more action/fantasy.
Sep 9, 2013 8:34 PM

Mar 2012
Genji Monogatari Sennenki (this. is adult. It's got betrayal, drama, tragedy, sadness...etc.)

RahXephon (this isn't a school romance, but he is a slight bit younger and her a slight bit older. It's a very good anime.)

Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles (you could try this one. It does have other components like action, but they are young adults and in war, there is romance but there's also supernatural)

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom (way darker. this has two younger adults coming together in a really bad situation.)
"People die if they get killed" who knew.
Sep 10, 2013 12:01 AM

Feb 2013
Nana
Nodame Cantabile
Itazura na Kiss (This one does start in high school for a few episodes but it progresses past that. Great development story wise and romance wise.)
~ El Psy Congroo~

Sep 10, 2013 12:03 AM

Oct 2012
Krissirk said:
Nana
Nodame Cantabile
Itazura na Kiss (This one does start in high school for a few episodes but it progresses past that. Great development story wise and romance wise.)
Sep 10, 2013 12:06 AM
Mar 2011
Bakuman (3 seasons of 24-25 eps each) - this series follows 2 middle school students on their journey to become the greatest manga writers ever. The Romance element starts on episode 1 in a surprising bold statement in the end of the first episode, though the romance isn't really shown too much. This anime really focuses on their journey and encompasses around the next 10 years of their lives. This anime is very entertaining with dramatic elements here and there. Each and every episode ends at a cliff hanger, making you want more.

Nodame Cantabile (3 seaons, around 50 episodes in total?) - If you don't like classical music, avoid this anime at all costs. enough said. Aside from that, the romance is somewhat comical. The protagonist is a genius pianist and violinist, but his dream is to become the best composer (maestro).

Sakurasou no pet na kanojo (24 eps) This anime is one of the best romance's i've seen. Its cute as hell and I highly recommend it. I suggest you read the synopsis of it here: http://myanimelist.net/anime/13759/Sakurasou_no_Pet_na_Kanojo

Spice and Wolf (2 seasons, 24 eps give or take) - As most people here have recommended, this anime, while not heavy on the romance, is deep and serious in its story and the conversations between characters. That's really what highlights this series.

Major (6 seaons, 24 eps each) - This is by far one of the best series i've ever seen. This anime highlights the baseball career of a baseball nut from when he's an elementary school student to I think his retirement of MLB. The romance doesn't really kick in until around season 4 I believe with implied romance here and there, but this story is so immersive and is a fantastic experience.

Suzuka (26 eps) - If you liked Toradora, you should like suzuka. Its been such a long time since I've seen Suzuka, but I remember them both having practically the exact type of plot line.

Welcome to the NHK (24-26 eps) - While this anime is not romantic heavy, its fairly plot heavy with relatively deep themes. There are several min-arcs, all of which are comical, funny, yet dramatic and psychological at the same time.

Kimi ni todoke (2 seaons, 36-48 eps) - this is one of my favorite romance animes. While it is a school slice of life type of anime, I wouln't really consider it your typical romance. The main protagonist is a female student who nobody really likes because she looks ghostly and weird and stuff, but there is a ray of hope for her when the guy girls idolize in the school actually doesn't treat her negatively. This anime is so cute and enjoyable.

Well, that's it from me. I can't think of any more. If anything, feel free to check out my list. I've seen more than my fair share of romance anime of all types.
Sep 10, 2013 1:43 AM

Apr 2010
++ to Nana
Paradise Kiss
Kemonozume
Momoko (ova)
Otona Joshi no Anime
Sep 10, 2013 1:45 AM

Feb 2013
Nodame Cantabile

Sep 10, 2013 3:05 AM
Jun 2013
Tartarus88 said:
Krissirk said:
Nana
Nodame Cantabile

this
Sep 10, 2013 3:17 AM

Aug 2012
The ef series,

ef - a tale of memories
ef - a tale of melodies.

ESPECIALLY melodies.
Sep 10, 2013 6:25 AM

Jul 2013
Try Ai Yori Aoshi
Sep 10, 2013 7:03 AM

Aug 2009
Since nobody recommended "Rec", I will. It's only 9 episodes on 12 minutes each I think, and it is pretty good and mature.

More topics from this board

» Any anime with a despicable/contemptible villain?

Gfralp - 9 hours ago

6 by silversaint »»
1 hour ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

22 by windyshadow »»
2 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

33 by Donkunsan »»
3 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Apr 24

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
7 hours ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

7 by Tsuyatoash »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.