Forum Settings
Forums

Is Anime just far superior to Western Cartoons?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 30, 2013 6:00 PM

Oct 2012
Is it just me, or is there some permutation of this question created very week?
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jul 30, 2013 6:02 PM

Jul 2011
All Im seeing is fanservice over plot quality in all the new animes coming out lately
Jul 30, 2013 6:02 PM

Nov 2010
NickyCharisma said:
It's just you. sike
Jul 30, 2013 6:05 PM

Oct 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
NickyCharisma said:
It's just you. sike

I thought so. My paranoia must be getting to me.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jul 30, 2013 6:31 PM

Sep 2008
I don't think cartoons are up there...the viewer base isn't as established, that's no wonder. Western audience prefer their movies and sitcoms/reality shows/tv series.
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.
Jul 30, 2013 7:21 PM

Jul 2013
KyuuAL said:

But when it comes to this argument, I often find people comparing stuff from the past vs anime today. That's not equal representation, because "anime" as a term didn't even exist back in the days of Tom and Jerry, Hanna Barbera, etc. Back in the 50's and 60's, there was pretty much Astroboy and Speed Racer. I'm sure there are a few others, but I'm not bothering to mention those.

40s-90s
Anime past = Sailor Moon, Dragonball, and Neon Genesis
Cartoon past = Merrily Melodies, Hannah-Barbera, Saturday morning cartoons

90s-now
Anime today = Too fucking many to list.
Cartoons today = Teen Titans, Avatar, Ed Edd N Eddy, Powerpuff girls, Grim Adventures

It depends on what the main society likes that makes the branch so different. Japan is mainly into video games and cartoons, which is why some of the best quality is created in that area. The west/U.S is more into movies and TV, which has some of the the best quality films (Except Godzilla... Nobody beats Godzilla.....) around.
Pikachu wants some
Aug 1, 2013 1:38 AM

Mar 2013
FailAtLife said:
Avatar alone is better than 80% anime.
Though Avatar holds a special place in my heart and is generally awesome there are more than 20% of animes that are comparable.
So Far,so Good...So What!
Aug 1, 2013 10:59 AM

Dec 2012
Neither one is superior or inferior to one another, it all comes down to your personal preference.
Aug 1, 2013 12:01 PM

Apr 2013
Fai said:
Nooot exactly.
In terms of art style and uniqueness:
Adventure Time, Samurai Jack, few others beat most anime shows in terms of artistic approach and unique style.

In terms of plot, complexity, character depth and overall darker themes:
Avatar - I don't think i need to explain this one, do I?
Batman Beyond - Arguably THE BEST batman adaptation to date, with thousands of fucked up plotlines, ongoing series-arc-style mysteries, actual deaths and arguably darkest incarnation of batman so far.
Avengers: EMH - arguably not as dark as the above comic adaptation, but still amongst better ones. EMH and its popularity played quite a big part into Marvel deciding to do the avengers live action movie. While design-wise its nothing that outstanding, its one of last serialized serious Marvel shows with spot-on characterization for various marvel-verse characters.
Xmen-Evolution - after relatively "safe" approach of first x-men show, Evolution was a departure toward a darker and more serialized nature. The show was certainly not perfect, but it was one of arguably first mainstream cartoons to not hold back on actually going through with character deaths.

Otherwise American side is a mixed bag, but French animation studios produced quite a few great shows back in their time, stuff like The Magician - french amalgamation of Batman, Dr.Strange and Tony Stark, which tackled quite a few dark subjects, including, but not limited to drug abuse, rape, revenge, etc and went to quite a few dark places, especially towards the end of its run.

Bassically - stereotypes are bad. Quality depends on writing and budget, not country of origin.

I agree with you about X-Men Evolution. This is the ONLY X-Men cartoon series I've ever liked. And, of course, Avatar: The Last Airbender should go down in history as a cartoon legend.
Aug 1, 2013 12:12 PM

Apr 2013
There are a few Western Cartoons that are just as good as anime and that I love just as much as certain anime movies and series.

Avatar: The Last Airbender- my favorite non-anime series ever.

Teen Titans- Seasons 1-4 are awesome

X-Men Evolution- Seasons 3 and 4 were probably the most dramatic seasons.
Aug 1, 2013 10:12 PM

Dec 2012
Aerostar said:
Anime is superior.
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Aug 2, 2013 6:21 AM
Jul 2013
Oh! This thread again.

No. Anime isn't far superior to Western cartoons. It's not superior at all. The best western cartoons can hold ground with the best anime. Watch some Batman stuff like Batman TAS or the DC Comics DTV movies if you want mature non-comedy american cartoons.
Aug 2, 2013 7:01 AM
Jul 2013
KyuuAL said:
HKA-4M-T7 said:
Because you don't need an overly complex story, godlike animation, or 2,000 stereotypical characters (or fanservice) to enjoy something. Sometimes I'd rather watch a mouse get away from a cat than 500 episodes of characters trying to do something, and failing at it.

I could watch Tom and Jerry over and over again.

But when it comes to this argument, I often find people comparing stuff from the past vs anime today. That's not equal representation, because "anime" as a term didn't even exist back in the days of Tom and Jerry, Hanna Barbera, etc. Back in the 50's and 60's, there was pretty much Astroboy and Speed Racer. I'm sure there are a few others, but I'm not bothering to mention those.

If you were to compare American animation vs Japanese animation today, America loses by miles. To think, Amercan animation manages to ruin Bugs Bunny with today's crap.

They didn't ruin Bugs Bunny.
Aug 4, 2013 3:06 AM

May 2012
dankickyou said:
Adventure time>>>>>>Anime
Now THAT'S a signature if i ever saw one!
Aug 4, 2013 4:25 AM
Sykolicious

Jul 2013
I'd say western cartoons are superior, but then, I don't really know anything..
Aug 4, 2013 5:42 PM

Sep 2009
err, yea? >.>
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4819 by Zoldra0 »»
1 hour ago

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - Apr 18

9 by Enderobot »»
2 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7593 by MalchikRepaid »»
3 hours ago

» Favorite Non-Anime Shows/Movies

EverRealm - Yesterday

2 by Spunkert »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » share your latest song/album purchases

DreamingBeats - Nov 3, 2023

39 by dreamingneon »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.