Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2013 1:56 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty decent start. I liked the themes so far and animation style.

What the hell happened to Kurau there in the middle...she seemed to be embodied with some sort of energy. Nice OST played during that scene though, definitely something memorable imo.

Action's okay I guess but lovely premise. I'm looking forward to more :>
Feb 22, 2014 10:49 AM

Jun 2010
The story includes an identity problem, something I find very interesting: When the golden light struck Kurau and dissolved her, did she die? Is the being that formed moments later Kurau, the “Rynax”, or some sort of combination of the two?

Dr. Amani eventually decides that this person really is his daughter, although the scene in which this happened was kind of clunky; Kurau suddenly remembers her mother, but Dr. Amani can’t know that’s what went through her mind yet he is suddenly overcome with emotion.

I think there’s some evidence that the original Kurau did die. In the sequence where Kurau is being an “Agent”, she dissolves her body into light again and spreads it about the room. When her body re-forms, she knows exactly where the small object she was looking for was located.

So when the golden light can learn information about the physical objects that it comes into contact with? Does that mean when the light struck the original Kurau, it learned all the information that describes her physical structure? When the re-formed Kurau is called by name by Dr. Amani, she says “So this body is called Kurau”, and later doesn’t seem to understand when he asks if she’s really Kurau. Does the alien only understand “Kurau” to be a specific set of physical structures? Does the alien comprehend the nature of biological life?

Even if the “new” Kurau is not the original Kurau, this new creature very soon comes to resemble her closely, making the identity problem less important. I hope it returns to it in some form because it’s by far the part of this opening episode that I liked the most.
May 24, 2018 4:41 PM
Dec 2014
Yep. Its that "time to watch something obscure with plot to laugh at the anime brainlets" again. Here we go!
Mar 31, 2020 8:49 PM
Dec 2019
That's some Dr. Manhattan shit. Anyway, great first episode. Good characterization, good visuals, cool superpowers, good pacing, great music, great action, interesting themes, and good setup of emotional core.
RecynonMar 31, 2020 9:06 PM
Aug 8, 2021 8:10 AM

Jun 2016
The second half of this ep was completely different to the first, you'd be somewhat forgiven if you mistook it for a different series.

I do like the premise for this show, and I'm interested to see what direction it'll take going forward.

Jul 19, 2023 10:01 AM

Nov 2018
I've had this show on my list for years and I can't even remember watching it so I thought now would be the perfect time to see it. I'm not really sure about the direction the show is aiming for so it should be an interesting watch and hopefully it's an underrated gem!
Mar 27, 8:03 PM

Sep 2018
12 year old girl gets unique superpowers. can transmute herself into pure energy and back at will. fly, teleport, seems to be immune to normal damage. also phase through solid objects.

flash forward 10 years later, is she goddess-empress of the earth? no. she works as an agent doing recovery jobs for clients, has to call her boss on the phone all the time to check in.

GIRL, YOU ARE THE CAPTAIN NOW

More topics from this board

Poll: » KURAU Phantom Memory Episode 15 Discussion

tainteddonut - Apr 25, 2008

6 by AshRayKay »»
May 6, 6:59 PM

Poll: » KURAU Phantom Memory Episode 14 Discussion

tainteddonut - Apr 25, 2008

5 by AshRayKay »»
May 5, 6:11 PM

Poll: » KURAU Phantom Memory Episode 13 Discussion

tainteddonut - Apr 15, 2008

6 by AshRayKay »»
May 1, 8:17 PM

Poll: » KURAU Phantom Memory Episode 12 Discussion

tainteddonut - Apr 13, 2008

3 by AshRayKay »»
Apr 24, 8:00 PM

Poll: » KURAU Phantom Memory Episode 11 Discussion

tainteddonut - Apr 11, 2008

5 by AshRayKay »»
Apr 23, 6:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.