Forum Settings
Forums

Which country do you think is most prominent in the game industry?

New
Jun 15, 2013 2:47 PM

Nov 2009
Okay, by this I am simply asking what country do you think sees the biggest profits from the games they create within that country? (and want to point out that while many video games aren't "country specific" if a video game is made in a country just assume it is on that "team")

Furthermore this includes not Just games (whether they are PC/Console/Handheld games) but also the Consoles themselves (And yes you can make predictions about the future, since I believe some might change their mind when they think about PS4 v X-Box One, if you believe this would be a large enough profit to tip the balance)

If still confused I am basically asking who you consider the powerhouse of the video game industry in terms of profit. (Bear in mind I am not saying which country makes the best games in terms of quality, but in terms of profit, although having said this, if you also want to discuss which country has the best quality games feel free to do so too)

(Would make a poll but their are actually quite a few countries out there apparently, and here I thought Earth consisted of like 6 tops ... so ...)
Jun 15, 2013 2:56 PM

Apr 2011
When it comes to world wide appeal, it seems that America seems to have the most success. Personally I tend to enjoy almost exclusively Japanese developed games. It's not cause I like anime/manga, even before I knew any of that stuff was Japanese I tended to gravitate towards the Japanese games. Not saying there's no good western games though, I like R* games most of the time, Bioshock was good, I also liked Fallout 3. Well there's way more then that, but overall almost all my favorite games are Japanese.
Jun 15, 2013 2:56 PM

Jan 2012
America basically, EU/China/Japan are runners up, the PC is pretty multinational at least. The big money sits in the US currently, I wouldn't say they make the best games per se though, huge companies like EA talk for themselves.
Jun 15, 2013 3:08 PM
Mar 2011
PC is reigon locked more than ps4 wil be to play a Japanese game Imported game on Ps4 ypu needed not a aotheer app or to fuck with you setting s

and my view n=on Us out putt are well know they need to leran that more than brown and gray exist i play both my native and forigin games i Manily play Korean MMOs oor that one sthat do not need a card to play

if you ad merchandise an d not pure ust the game sales id put FF as the biggest money mony spinner though in Japan DQ sells more games thay have less over all connected merchandise whikle FF hams the most connteced merchandise then any Franchsie in the world form anime ot manga ot Music to the concerts that they promote for there music to The revenue from FF XI
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 15, 2013 3:13 PM
Mar 2011
elevenletters said:
DateYutaka said:
they need to leran that more than brown and gray exist

What's wrong with brown and gray?

is that all you can say
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jun 15, 2013 3:14 PM

Jan 2012
elevenletters said:
DateYutaka said:

Haha I have seen you ask this so many times and never get an answer ;_;

DateYutaka said:
PC is reigon locked more than ps4 wil be to play a Japanese game Imported game on Ps4 ypu needed not a aotheer app or to fuck with you setting s

and my view n=on Us out putt are well know they need to leran that more than brown and gray exist i play both my native and forigin games i Manily play Korean MMOs oor that one sthat do not need a card to play

if you ad merchandise an d not pure ust the game sales id put FF as the biggest money mony spinner though in Japan DQ sells more games thay have less over all connected merchandise whikle FF hams the most connteced merchandise then any Franchsie in the world form anime ot manga ot Music to the concerts that they promote for there music to The revenue from FF XI

LOL PC region locked... you really are clueless Date. I like the JP industry but swallow your pride and accept you are small compared to the rest now. Even people from the industry in JP say the industry is 5 years behind the rest of the world.
ReasonDesuJun 15, 2013 3:28 PM
Jun 15, 2013 3:48 PM

Nov 2008
The west has more and more influence over the industry due to their overly expensive games with more realistic graphics, too bad that has come at a price of losing their charm. Western made games today are not very interesting to me unlike in the PS2/Xbox/GC era and earlier, it's too much graphics and little gameplay and way too much online multiplayer emphasis, online multiplayer's novelty has worn out like 3-4 years ago for almost all Western made titles and doesn't prolong the game for me (even Eastern made games have this problem, so this is one aspect that is no better anywhere). What the West and even the East should concentrate on is a solid, expansive, and superb single player experience.

Jun 15, 2013 3:52 PM
Mar 2011
ReasonDesu said:
elevenletters said:
DateYutaka said:

Haha I have seen you ask this so many times and never get an answer ;_;

DateYutaka said:

LOL PC region locked... you really are clueless Date. I like the JP industry but swallow your pride and accept you are small compared to the rest now. Even people from the industry in JP say the industry is 5 years behind the rest of the world.

Impport a Japanese pc game an play it native region setting on your Pc you cannot do that simple iv seen how people set up vn's and instrtions to do so and what not
sorry PS3/4 wont need i ported you change there root settings or you apps to play an imported games

and i was saying FF world wide based on not JUst game sales but every thing connected to the franchise

Lack of Japanese Doujin on Us steam pr hell most big mainstream Japnese PC games on Us stream show that is also a Content region lock

the way some MMOs work hear may seem odd ot you but relice on steam a rental service is odd to me cause i like to own my game
DateYutakaJun 15, 2013 3:57 PM

Jun 15, 2013 3:53 PM

Nov 2009
Hoppy said:
What the West and even the East should concentrate on is a solid, expansive, and superb single player experience.
Would agree ... Why the heck is Elder Scrolls making an MMO (Though would like to note that SandBox RPGs are getting bigger ... well people could probably argue they are already going downhill, but would say that they are rather expansive but can't really ask for a "great" story since that would defeat the "sandbox" part of it.)
Jun 15, 2013 3:54 PM
Mar 2011
Hoppy said:
The west has more and more influence over the industry due to their overly expensive games with more realistic graphics, too bad that has come at a price of losing their charm. Western made games today are not very interesting to me unlike in the PS2/Xbox/GC era and earlier, it's too much graphics and little gameplay and way too much online multiplayer emphasis, online multiplayer's novelty has worn out like 3-4 years ago for almost all Western made titles and doesn't prolong the game for me (even Eastern made games have this problem, so this is one aspect that is no better anywhere). What the West and even the East should concentrate on is a solid, expansive, and superb single player experience.

My point excaly right my fave genre are RPG games right the first one i played was a old US made Crpg and the story drew me in now adys us RPGs cannot drwn me in to there story or world

Jun 15, 2013 3:56 PM
Mar 2011
Pirating_Ninja said:
Hoppy said:
What the West and even the East should concentrate on is a solid, expansive, and superb single player experience.
Would agree ... Why the heck is Elder Scrolls making an MMO (Though would like to note that SandBox RPGs are getting bigger ... well people could probably argue they are already going downhill, but would say that they are rather expansive but can't really ask for a "great" story since that would defeat the "sandbox" part of it.)

there sand box word has gotten smaller is now the 5th game and its 1/100 the size of the world in the 2nd game

Jun 15, 2013 4:21 PM

Jan 2012
DateYutaka said:
Impport a Japanese pc game an play it native region setting on your Pc you cannot do that simple iv seen how people set up vn's and instrtions to do so and what not
sorry PS3/4 wont need i ported you change there root settings or you apps to play an imported games

and i was saying FF world wide based on not JUst game sales but every thing connected to the franchise

Lack of Japanese Doujin on Us steam pr hell most big mainstream Japnese PC games on Us stream show that is also a Content region lock

the way some MMOs work hear may seem odd ot you but relice on steam a rental service is odd to me cause i like to own my game

JP developers not using universal Unicode =/= region locked, to say the PC is region locked is absolutely ridiculous, notice how it's only JP programs that are like that. Chinese, Australian, US, EU, Korean, anywhere else in the world and it's fine. It's an issue with the developers not region lock.

Steam doesn't have VN (in fact VN are basically not marketed outside of Japan at all pretty much), just because you guys don't market it makes it region locked? Nice logic. PC doesn't have a universal platform for games, I have over 10 VN on my PC right now, searching is your best friend.

Steam has 66%-75% sales on games on a regular basis for a reason, it's because you only buy a digital copy of the game, I'm happy for steam to be like that as I get good deals. If you don't like it there are plenty of places to buy games on disk or through other methods, as said before Steam isn't the only way to game on PC.
ReasonDesuJun 15, 2013 4:24 PM
Jun 15, 2013 5:20 PM

Sep 2009
DateYutaka said:
And why the hell am I supposed to try playing Japanese games in my native, non-Japanese settings? Support for multiple languages is a feature that's a polar opposite of region locks - it allows you to use software that requires non-unicode charaters that aren't present in your native language without purchasing another version of the OS.

Also, on my PC with Polish Windows, I have over 100 installed VNs (counting only untranslated Japanese VNs, without even any fan-patches) and every single one of them works perfectly fine, with proper locale settings of course (with the exception of a few titles like Eden*, that require just a few additional settings to run, because Minori isn't exactly gaijin-frendly, to say the least). Oh, and pretty much all of those VNs are "Japan sales only". Region-lock fuckin' where? :P

DateYutaka said:
Lack of Japanese Doujin on Us steam
Why would you even look for Japanese doujins on Steam? There's DLSite (English) for that. :P
PablocJun 16, 2013 1:57 AM
Jun 15, 2013 5:56 PM

Jun 2008
Rofl. DataYutaka logic.

I actually don't really know. Most of the biggest gaming companies and developers have international teams. Don't really have any time to find data on it, but Japan and US being the obvious front-runners. I'd put the US slight above Japan though.
Jun 15, 2013 9:29 PM

Nov 2008
Pabloc said:
DateYutaka said:
And why the hell am I supposed to try playing Japanese games in my native, non-Japanese settings? Support for multiple languages is a feature that's a polar opposite of region locks - it allows you to use software that requires non-unicode charaters that aren't present in your native language without purchasing another version of the OS.

Also, on my PC with Polish Windows, I have over 100 installed VNs (counting only untranslated Japanese VNs, without even any fan-patches) and every single one of them works perfectly fine, with proper locale settings of course (with the exception of a few titles like Eden*, that require just a few additional settings to run, because Minori isn't exactly gaijin-frendly, to say the least). Oh, and pretty much all of those VNs are "Japan sales only". Region-lock fuckin' where? :P

DateYutaka said:
Why would you even look for Japanese douijns on Steam? There's DLSite (English) for that. :P

There are a few that have DRM that act as a region lock, of course those are ironically Minori developed VNs (wth is their problem with foriegners, they are the most combative of the bunch and it makes them look like AAA class jerkasses since their attacks are often unprovoked).

Jun 15, 2013 10:20 PM

Nov 2009
Okay so ... know I am going to get alot of hate from this, especially by Date, but it would appear that yes, America's video game industry is leading the world in Revenue (by quite a bit but no one site was on agreement towards how much either Japan or the US game industry made in revenue, it juggled around $20.77 billion in the US (one site said 35 but it had "Christian Science" in the title so I was just like -_-) and Japan was around $5.14 Billion (literally only one site reported "Famitsu" saying the total revenue was the number above)) and is projected to continue to increase in revenue whereas Japan (which is the #2 Industry) was actually projected to decrease however these projections were made in 2012 and not sure how relevant they remain. Although to be fair, Nintendo is the largest Video Game Company by revenue.

I think the 2 major problems are

A) Japan's Video game market is actually getting weaker in the rest of the world since their is a sort of disconnect between Japan and the world when it comes to video games (Foreign don't sell great in Japan, which is fine, but it shows that Japanese gamers don't like non-Japanese style games (like CoD), which is perfectly fine, but this means that Japanese game producers don't create games to compete with CoD or GTA so this disconnect kind of puts them on a different path than the rest of the world.)

And B) Lack of interest in PC Gaming, which is a huge industry everywhere else with games Like WoW (with a revenue of $10+ Billion and the second place game being CoD: Black Ops with $1.5 Billion, so yeah WoW makes quite a bit of money) or even just having a "better" version of a Console Game.

Anyways ... Once the next generation consoles are released it is possible (in fact almost guaranteed) that the projections will be wrong.
Pirating_NinjaJun 15, 2013 10:24 PM
Jun 15, 2013 11:56 PM

Oct 2009
ReasonDesu said:
Steam doesn't have VN (in fact VN are basically not marketed outside of Japan at all pretty much), just because you guys don't market it makes it region locked?
There are a few, Analogue: A Hate Story being one of them.
GogettersJun 16, 2013 12:10 AM
Jun 16, 2013 2:06 AM

Jun 2013
Yes i would easily say that America or the west has the most prominent market in terms of games but considering both nintendo and sony are Japanese (But a good lot of sonys 1st party titles are US made) i dont think the Japanese Gaming market is $15 billion behind the US market maybe somewhere between $5-10 billion. But they are really behind in the P.C market since thats really skyrocketed and more people are getting P.Cs (im also considering switching to pc) Although i do really enjoy western games there's someting about Japanese games that are really special and generally more enjoyable to me. Anyways you've created quite the topic :)
Jun 16, 2013 2:21 AM

Sep 2009
Hoppy said:
There are a few that have DRM that act as a region lock, of course those are ironically Minori developed VNs (wth is their problem with foriegners, they are the most combative of the bunch and it makes them look like AAA class jerkasses since their attacks are often unprovoked).
As far asI know, Key likes to do that DRM stuff as well, but sice most of their VNs have patches it's not that noticeable. I bet that if I'd try to install an original version of Rewrite or Little Busters, they'd force my gaijin PC to self-destruct. XD

@DateYutaka
I forgot to mention that earlier, but praising consoles while talking about VNs is pretty silly. The vast majority of VNs are PC-exclusive. And pretty much all titles that are available on consoles don't have any sexual content (either they never had any, or it was removed), so you can forget about eroge.
No matter how region-free is your console, you can't read/play stuff that wasn't released especially for it. If you have PS3 for example, region-locks are completely irrelevant - you can count all available VNs on your fingers. :P
But on my PC I can read/play titles released exclusively for consoles just fine, using emulators (up to PS2). :P
Jun 16, 2013 2:48 AM
Mar 2011
Pabloc said:
DateYutaka said:

DateYutaka said:
Why would you even look for Japanese doujins on Steam? There's DLSite (English) for that. :P

to legel own them maybe but then ag steam is not really owning is s rental Steam is no more differst from WII VC or PSN you dl a game from there yo don to own it

its like sayong you own a net flix movie

Jun 16, 2013 2:59 AM
Mar 2011
Pabloc said:
DateYutaka said:

DateYutaka said:

and a region free games console its play right away

i have pride in my industry i do not pirate any Thing i own or baroow from friends all games iv played cause game rental is look ed down upon here hell used game sales were illgal on till 2000[ to an extent] thats why emulation gont so became so popular here cause

i have pride in my industry its not like brits like reason have no pirde in there in dustry thay suck off the us industry its sickening to me to think a gamer has less pride in there national industry that they do in a non native one

Jun 16, 2013 3:09 AM

Nov 2009
NZAnimeOtaku said:
Yes i would easily say that America or the west has the most prominent market in terms of games but considering both nintendo and sony are Japanese (But a good lot of sonys 1st party titles are US made) i dont think the Japanese Gaming market is $15 billion behind the US market maybe somewhere between $5-10 billion. But they are really behind in the P.C market since thats really skyrocketed and more people are getting P.Cs (im also considering switching to pc) Although i do really enjoy western games there's someting about Japanese games that are really special and generally more enjoyable to me. Anyways you've created quite the topic :)
PC is a probably actually one of the main reasons, I mean in terms of revenue WoW is just ... And it is a constant stream of Revenue, whereas alot of Game Franchises might not even produce 1 game per year, where as every 4 months WoW will have made as much money off of one person as a completely new game ...

Plus "Free to Play" Games on Steam, and LoL especially actually probably generate a rather large profit. But you are probably right, The American's Revenue is probably semi-accurate (hard to calculate no doubt) but the Japanese one is actually quite a bit higher, I honestly looked for like 15 minutes of any site mentioning it's total revenue, but that was all I could find.
Jun 16, 2013 3:13 AM
Mar 2011
Pirating_Ninja said:
NZAnimeOtaku said:
PC is a probably actually one of the main reasons, I mean in terms of revenue WoW is just ... And it is a constant stream of Revenue, whereas alot of Game Franchises might not even produce 1 game per year, where as every 4 months WoW will have made as much money off of one person as a completely new game ...

Plus "Free to Play" Games on Steam, and LoL especially actually probably generate a rather large profit. But you are probably right, The American's Revenue is probably semi-accurate (hard to calculate no doubt) but the Japanese one is actually quite a bit higher, I honestly looked for like 15 minutes of any site mentioning it's total revenue, but that was all I could find.

steam you dont own the games you loose all the idea of ownership your renting

Jun 16, 2013 5:10 AM

Jan 2012
DateYutaka said:
to legel own them maybe but then ag steam is not really owning is s rental Steam is no more differst from WII VC or PSN you dl a game from there yo don to own it

If you are saying buying a game on Steam is like renting a film on Netflix you are retarded Date but we have already seen that side of your logic already. PC is region free you can play right away. I can't believe you even suggested PC is region locked, it goes to show how much knowledge of the industry you have to be honest.

DateYutaka said:

i have pride in my industry i do not pirate any Thing i own or baroow from friends all games iv played cause game rental is look ed down upon here hell used game sales were illgal on till 2000[ to an extent] thats why emulation gont so became so popular here cause

i have pride in my industry its not like brits like reason have no pirde in there in dustry thay suck off the us industry its sickening to me to think a gamer has less pride in there national industry that they do in a non native one

I have pride in my industry which is a worldwide one, I don't let nationalist prejudices blind me, you obviously have no idea how the PC and western market works.

To just blindly support companies is fine but don't expect quality. I pirate games from the west and only the ones that deserve my money get it. That's how it should be. Not funding companies out of mindless nationalism. I pirated all my VN too and even if I want to give them my money I can't because many only sell in Japan. Go figure.

DateYutaka said:
its not like brits like reason have no pirde in there in dustry thay suck off the us industry its sickening to me to think a gamer has less pride in there national industry that they do in a non native one

ReasonDesu said:
The big money sits in the US currently, I wouldn't say they make the best games per se though, huge companies like EA talk for themselves.

Yeah I really "suck off" the US industry. Listening to you spout your nationalist agenda is painful. The fact is they have the money, I have already said I don't like big companies like EA, just because a game gets made in the UK doesn't mean I will be it's fanboy because I live there. This is probably the reason the JP industry doesn't even try, it has enough nationalist freaks who will buy whatever they produce anyway, why try to innovate just make the same old stuff for the JP market. It's not like you guys have the kind of choice we get with PC anyway.
ReasonDesuJun 16, 2013 5:48 AM
Jun 16, 2013 5:46 AM
Mar 2011
ReasonDesu said:
DateYutaka said:

If you are saying buying a game on Steam is like renting a film on Netflix you are retarded Date but we have already seen that side of your logic already. PC is region free you can play right away. I can't believe you even suggested PC is region locked, it goes to show how much knowledge of the industry you have to be honest.

DateYutaka said:

I have pride in my industry which is a worldwide one, I don't let nationalist prejudices blind me, you obviously have no idea how the PC and western market works. You can see that clearly be the ridiculous thing you imply.

To just blindly support companies is fine but don't expect quality. I pirate games from the west and only the ones that deserve my money get it. That's how it should be. Not funding companies out of mindless nationalism.

you lack national pride but then again you Brits get spoon fed more Globalization Bull crap then we do Globalization is a ba thing Global Communication is good Globalization is not

so people never moan that steam is full of DRM soryy but it is Consoles have alays had less DRM than US PC's thats my issue with that DRM

Steam is Just a Dllvery system nothing more nothing less XBLA PSN VC are all like steam you do not own a game you rent on Steam im baout owner ship

if you have bad internet you can not realy use steam [ cuase its always on] sorry you cannot defend that

its about onwer ship rights

right grew up playing ulitima and wizardry and still play wizardry very western GAMES im not Nationalist at alll nad at retail PC game here ae doube what they are in the us or uk console princing has always been much more Standardized here unlike in the us from what iv heard about pricing in th famicom - PS 1 days iv heard that Mother II on the sufami was aounr 8000-10000 yen in the us [ im using the mondern exchage rate but you get the point]
while here the same game was never above 6000 yen that show you you need large amount of money to game on PC here to bulid a gaming pc here [ post standization] costs around $1000 minuim cuase all parts are imported
cuase all the us centric parts makers dont have Japanese devion[ so to speak that also a big reason that the Modern Japanese PC market is so low lack of Parts if you wish you build your own that is and iv leant that the best PC is the one yopiu build your self

i have pride in my nation as whole a si have a Pride in my national industries

next time your national Economics Figures come take you gobalist tack and see were it gets you

whose govement makes more from taxes for the game industry Japan [ were we have very little tax loop holes ] or the us were there is tax loopholes every were i say Japan [ vis sa vi larger in take ofr the Government = more helpfull for the national Purse is a better industry

Jun 16, 2013 5:57 AM

Jan 2012
DateYutaka said:

you lack national pride but then again you Brits get spoon fed more Globalization Bull crap then we do Globalization is a ba thing Global Communication is good Globalization is not

so people never moan that steam is full of DRM soryy but it is Consoles have alays had less DRM than US PC's thats my issue with that DRM

Steam is Just a Dllvery system nothing more nothing less XBLA PSN VC are all like steam you do not own a game you rent on Steam im baout owner ship

if you have bad internet you can not realy use steam [ cuase its always on] sorry you cannot defend that

right grew up playing ulitima and wizardry and still play wizardry very western GAMES im not Nationalist at alll nad at retail PC game here ae doube what they are in the us or uk console princing has always been much more Standardized here unlike in the us from what iv heard about pricing in th famicom - PS 1 days iv heard that Mother II on the sufami was aounr 8000-10000 yen in the us [ im using the mondern exchage rate but you get the point]
while here the same game was never above 6000 yen that show you you need large amount of money to game on PC here to bulid a gaming pc here [ post standization] costs around $1000 minuim cuase all parts are imported
cuase all the us centric parts makers dont have Japanese devion[ so to speak that also a big reason that the Modern Japanese PC market is so low lack of Parts if you wish you build your own that is and iv leant that the best PC is the one yopiu build your self

next time your national Economics Figures come take you gobalist tack and see were it gets you

whose govement makes more from taxes for the game industry Japan [ were we have very little tax loop holes ] or the us were there is tax loopholes every were i say Japan [ vis sa vi larger in take ofr the Government = more helpfull for the national Purse is a better industry

Now you are bringing politics and globalization into this *sigh*

You are talking like Steam is the only way to game on PC, it uses it's DRM model so it can give regular 75% discounts, if you don't like it fine there are plenty of other outlets selling disks for 90% of the games.

Again all about Steam you are clueless. Get it into your head it is one option.

Yeah the best way to make a PC is build one yourself, big deal, why are you importing parts? Are you guys not technologically advanced enough to make basic computer parts? If you are importing them and complaining about it I would take a good look at yourself first.

Did you have pride when you sold control off your government and whored yourself out to the US, the fathers of Globalization, I really didn't want to get political with this but you are really just trying to antagonize me now. This whole national pride thing just gets in the way of making good games for more people. Japans industry is so anti gaijin it's painful.

Where do taxes even come into this. Is this now a game of lets see who exploits the general population more? If so I want no part of it, disgusting.
ReasonDesuJun 16, 2013 6:06 AM
Jun 16, 2013 6:07 AM

Sep 2007
National pride? Are you fucking kidding me? This thread is going full retard.
Jun 16, 2013 6:24 AM
Mar 2011
ReasonDesu said:
DateYutaka said:

Now you are bringing politics and globalization into this *sigh*

You are talking like Steam is the only way to game on PC, it uses it's DRM model so it can give regular 75% discounts, if you don't like it fine there are plenty of other outlets selling disks for 90% of the games.

Again all about Steam you are clueless. Get it into your head it is one option.

Yeah the best way to make a PC is build one yourself, big deal, why are you importing parts? Are you guys not technologically advanced enough to make basic computer parts? If you are importing them and complaining about it I would take a good look at yourself first.

Did you have pride when you sold control of your government and whored yourself out to the US, the fathers of Globalization, I really didn't want to get political with this but you are really just trying to antagonize me now. This whole national pride thing just gets in the way of making good games for more people. Japans industry is so anti gaijin it's painful.

Where do taxes even come into this. Is this now a game of lets see who exploits the general population more? If so I want no part of it, disgusting.

Us and uk Corporate tax law is very lax as you should know while Japanese Corporate tax law is alot more tough or all major comapies have to pay 25-30 perect tax thats not Japanese native and Multinationals have the same rules and regulations ofr tx while US and Uk its so easy to doge Corporate Tax from what i hear

how did we sell out when we need the us army to defend us were not allowed our own armed forces we sold out no we did not al ot Japanese want saipan back and want the US out of Okinawa but lack of our owned old forces stop this from happening that is a fact

and we need to import cause of minus Sony no one makes PC part any more NEC for example since there line died only make Monitors and tv and set top boxes

and amd and intel dominate
pc processes market and they odnt have an office here to my knowing whole salers can afford ot import a processor but most averide wagers cannot

and iv always hated DRM i dont need DRM base serivce like steam to get an indie game we have places to go were me can meet the peopl who make the game and giv them money in person with no middle man [ that is overall better dont you think ] you meat and talk tho the maker and then buy there game

from going to comiket iknow alot of doujin game makers in person and im personal friend with a few of them si i giv them money as to help out a friend with a face not just a person or a small team of people that iv never met

can you say that of you beloved Indie developer out west no cause they are not at 3e or CES are they for the most part

Jun 16, 2013 6:35 AM

Jan 2012
If you don't like DRM go to the game owners website and buy it from them, simple. If you don't like regular 75% sales on new titles you don't have to use Steam and it's DRM model. The reason so many people do is because it's much cheaper.

Yeah so no-one makes PC parts anymore in JP, you guys decided that, so honestly you have no right to complain about costly imports. You have better wages and pay than most of europe. If people in Romania, Turkey, Poland etc etc can afford to buy a PC I don't know how you can claim the Japanese public are too poor to.

You sold out by letting the US take over your financial sector and debt your government and general populace up. Welcome to the club of worldwide debt slaves, our country suffers the same fate currently but this is way off topic so lets not continue.

Luckily you all live on the same island, it's not so easy for me to go and see my favorite developers in Iceland, or NZ for that matter. We still have plenty of gaming conferences worldwide where you can meet the devs though. It's just not as easy to attend them for most people.

I'm not even a massive fan of indies to be honest, I prefer independent companies who work on AAA products, like CCP and GrindingGearGames. You won't see those at E3 or any conferences because they are not mainstream. It doesn't mean they don't make a tonne of money and get a lot of community support, you can easily find this stuff on the internet if you look.
Jun 16, 2013 8:21 AM

Mar 2013
The USA comes first on the software end. There's such a variety of innovative (and un-innovative games coming out from America.

Japan is a close second, not so innovative software-wise but it has better hardware in general, and an arsenal of JRPGs, fighters, and many others.

Then there's Britain, Canada, Germany, and Sweden in the mid-tier. Then Korea, Russia, and other parts of Eastern Europe which have the likes of wargaming.net and CD Project RED. Lots of small-scale developers. Then there's China, which seems to have a booming MMO industry but too many cheap rip-offs with no respect for IP laws.
Jun 17, 2013 6:35 AM

Feb 2005
Got to give it to the yanks.
Japan might have been in the lead before, but they've stagnated significantly, and still seem to think we're in the 90s. And really, they will only continue falling behind unless they snap out of their ethnocentric delusions and start making games for a global market.
DateYutaka said:
Clearly you have never used Steam. It is not always on, you can play almost everything in offline mode as well, except for a minority of games that require extra always online crap.
Jun 17, 2013 6:46 AM
Mar 2011
if you judge it as output as siz\e of industry [ in native markets]
its a Soild fact that Japan put out more games than us DEvs

and the indie sence here is more Socal to sorry you cannotdebate this

overallk Japanese gaming is more person to person Soical cause of one reason

and us devs dont realy make games for a Gobal market either [ there rae ome things ot take inb account [ asia like s Console Rpgs] US devs do not make

i adit Japanese gaming indusrt in gobal appel has droped but on pure outputt aloe its bigger

bandai as a whole [ make more money per year as a whole then most us devs could ever wish too]

Jun 17, 2013 7:57 AM

Oct 2010
Is this even debatable? North america obviously with japan in second place.
Jun 17, 2013 6:12 PM

Nov 2009
Supergrunt8 said:
Is this even debatable? North america obviously with japan in second place.
No not really, just don't think that Japanese sites cover statistics on Western Gaming which leads to comments like "Japanese games are more social" despite the fact that the PC Market (which includes MMO's where the MM stands for Massive Multiplayer) is non-existent in Japan.

Or the phrase that Bandai is makes more than most US developers ever could dream of making ... I mean I guess that it was the 16th Largest Video Game Company (by revenue) in 2012 ... But by that Logic, in 2012, Activision/Blizzard made the largest revenue of any Video Game Company and could therefore make more than any Japanese Company could ever hope of making (Its revenue was nearly 5 times that of Namco/Bandai)
Jun 17, 2013 6:30 PM

Jan 2013
America and Japan imo.

The MMORPG scene is hella strong in Korea though.
Jun 17, 2013 11:28 PM

Apr 2013
Japanese and Americans... =)

More topics from this board

» Any paradox games fans here?

D5rkUnl0ck3r - May 12

6 by D5rkUnl0ck3r »»
2 hours ago

» Is 8 gb vram enough these days?

Cnon - Mar 5

34 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 10:42 AM

» your video game waifu or husbando

deg - May 7

24 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 9:10 AM

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3543 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 9:08 AM

» Switch 2 launching with Breath of the Wild Remake!?

rohan121 - May 12

6 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 9:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.