Forum Settings
Forums

Should I continue to expand my taste in anime?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 13, 2013 12:27 PM

Oct 2010
BlackSabotage said:
spyrocoot said:
Why do you restrict your viewing to 70s and 80s anime, anyway? Is it because you like the pleasure of having watched something that not many other people have?
I don't restrict myself to that. Ive been watching plenty of newer stuff like Highschool DxD ans school days. But would you believe that I honestly just plain out enjoy the older stuff more?

How would you know that? You've seen such a small amount of anime that you can't really define your tastes yet. You should be watching anime based on the quality of them, not the dates they were made.
Jun 13, 2013 12:30 PM

Nov 2011
spyrocoot said:
BlackSabotage said:
spyrocoot said:
Why do you restrict your viewing to 70s and 80s anime, anyway? Is it because you like the pleasure of having watched something that not many other people have?
I don't restrict myself to that. Ive been watching plenty of newer stuff like Highschool DxD ans school days. But would you believe that I honestly just plain out enjoy the older stuff more?

How would you know that? You've seen such a small amount of anime that you can't really define your tastes yet. You should be watching anime based on the quality of them, not the dates they were made.
I don't judge the anime based on the era I judge the era based on the anime. Ive seen more anime than what I have on my list just so you know.
Jun 13, 2013 12:31 PM

Dec 2012
BlackSabotage said:
spyrocoot said:

Why don't you watch stuff that are considered good by the community not School days. Did you only watch that because of the violence in the last episode ?
Jun 13, 2013 12:35 PM

Nov 2011
tsudecimo said:
BlackSabotage said:
spyrocoot said:

Why don't you watch stuff that are considered good by the community not School days. Did you only watch that because of the violence in the last episode ?
That wasn't even really violent I mean the blood was fucking black. It actually started off kinda decent too. Highschool DxD seems to be pretty popular.
Jun 13, 2013 12:37 PM

Oct 2010
BlackSabotage said:
tsudecimo said:
BlackSabotage said:
spyrocoot said:

That wasn't even really violent I mean the blood was fucking black. It actually started off kinda decent too. Highschool DxD seems to be pretty popular.

Monster, FMA and Brotherhood, Haibane Renmei, Hajime no Ippo... those are better examples of modern anime than School Days considering they are actually GOOD.
Jun 13, 2013 12:39 PM

Jan 2013
LanaNi said:
Uhh...Go watch Shinsekai Yori.
Then we'll talk.
Jun 13, 2013 12:40 PM

Nov 2011
spyrocoot said:
BlackSabotage said:
tsudecimo said:
BlackSabotage said:
spyrocoot said:

Monster, FMA and Brotherhood, Haibane Renmei, Hajime no Ippo... those are better examples of modern anime than School Days considering they are actually GOOD.
Is it not obvious by now that I love Monster? Hajime no Ippo is excellent despite being inferior to Ashita no Joe. Loved FMA still need to watch Brotherhood. Don't know that other one.
Jun 13, 2013 12:43 PM

Oct 2010
BlackSabotage said:
Is it not obvious by now that I love Monster? Hajime no Ippo is excellent despite being inferior to Ashita no Joe. Loved FMA still need to watch Brotherhood. Don't know that other one.

Didn't check your list, was just thinking of the best post-2000 anime that come to mind. Haibane Renmei is the most complete 13-episode long anime I've ever watched. Same creator as SEL.
Jun 13, 2013 12:45 PM

Nov 2011
spyrocoot said:
BlackSabotage said:

Didn't check your list, was just thinking of the best post-2000 anime that come to mind. Haibane Renmei is the most complete 13-episode long anime I've ever watched. Same creator as SEL.
Whats SEL?
Jun 13, 2013 12:46 PM

Oct 2010
BlackSabotage said:
spyrocoot said:
BlackSabotage said:

Whats SEL?

Serial Experiments Lain, a marvelous little anime.
Jun 13, 2013 12:47 PM

Nov 2011
Litrydow said:
BlackSabotage said:
spyrocoot said:
BlackSabotage said:

Whats SEL?

Serial Experiments Lain.
Im just now hearing of this one. Is it good?
Jun 13, 2013 12:51 PM

Oct 2010
BlackSabotage said:
Litrydow said:
BlackSabotage said:
spyrocoot said:
BlackSabotage said:

Whats SEL?

Serial Experiments Lain.

I think it's excellent. Classic cyberpunk with a nice dose of psychology and philosophy thrown in. It's not for everyone though, that's for sure.
Jun 13, 2013 12:52 PM

Nov 2011
spyrocoot said:
BlackSabotage said:
Litrydow said:
BlackSabotage said:
spyrocoot said:
BlackSabotage said:

Whats SEL?

Serial Experiments Lain.

I think it's excellent. Classic cyberpunk with a nice dose of psychology and philosophy thrown in. It's not for everyone though, that's for sure.
Actually sounds like my cup of tea. I fuckin love the Akira manga so yeah :b
Jun 13, 2013 12:53 PM

Mar 2013
spyrocoot said:
BlackSabotage said:
Litrydow said:
BlackSabotage said:
spyrocoot said:
BlackSabotage said:

Whats SEL?

Serial Experiments Lain.

To add on, from what I've heard at least, it really makes you think about the events that occur in the show.
Jun 13, 2013 12:54 PM

Oct 2012
Nikin said:
To add on, from what I've heard at least, it really makes you think about the events that occur in the show.

Plus, it doesn't treat you like a kid, Black.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 13, 2013 12:56 PM

Nov 2011
Tavor said:
Nikin said:

Plus, it doesn't treat you like a kid, Black.
>.>
Jun 13, 2013 12:57 PM

Oct 2012
BlackSabotage said:
>.>

...shouldn't that be another ":D"?

Jun 13, 2013 12:59 PM

Nov 2011
Tavor said:
BlackSabotage said:
>.>

...shouldn't that be another ":D"?
Ill give you a kirby which is even better.

<(O_O)>

Lol hes like dafuck?
Jun 13, 2013 1:10 PM

Feb 2012
MAL is not a place to ask such things, at least not these public forums. And not all post 00 are "moe" and stuff. It is a great era up to 2008.
Jun 13, 2013 1:11 PM

Nov 2011
JohnDavis32 said:
Hey dude, what kind of anime are you after, I can try to recommend you a list of the best 20+ anime titles per year to come out since 2007 to 2012.
That is of course if you are interested. (Note, I don't follow the norm when it comes to anime)
Though I do see your nostalgia for old anime series, that is for sure. xD
Im interested. I might not seem like it but im actually pretty well rounded in terms of what anime ill watch.
Jun 13, 2013 1:12 PM

Nov 2011
mecharobot said:
MAL is not a place to ask such things, at least not these public forums. And not all post 00 are "moe" and stuff. It is a great era up to 2008.
Obviously I know its not all moe and sol. Do you guys really think I think that?
Jun 13, 2013 1:16 PM

Dec 2012
Why are you so dependent on answers from the MAL community
In the end, you are going to be the one to press the play button on the video
Schools out, No job at moment, STILL hello MAL Eh..I will try to be online
Jun 13, 2013 1:17 PM

Nov 2010
BlackSabotage said:
Obviously I know its not all moe and sol. Do you guys really think I think that?
Well they think of you, like most of the other old anime rules users like MajinSaga, 9989(or whatever), nekovision, and Plusme who say stuff like that often. So because you like older anime the most, most people group you in with those other ones who say stuff like that.
Jun 13, 2013 1:31 PM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
BlackSabotage said:
Well they think of you, like most of the other old anime rules users like MajinSaga, 9989(or whatever), nekovision, and Plusme who say stuff like that often. So because you like older anime the most, most people group you in with those other ones who say stuff like that.
I probably give off the impression that I do but ive always been one to say all eras have their good and bad. However people always just assume Im hating on new stuff and refuse to watch it.
Jun 13, 2013 1:31 PM

Nov 2011
JohnDavis32 said:
Sorry my list is going to take a while.
Its ok mate :D
Jun 13, 2013 1:33 PM

Aug 2008
Expand into American anime. This is the future!

o/
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Jun 13, 2013 1:33 PM

Oct 2012
KyuuAL said:

o/

Start with Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Jun 13, 2013 1:35 PM

Nov 2011
Tavor said:
KyuuAL said:

o/

Start with Avatar: The Last Airbender.
You mean da one wit da freaky blue peoples?
Jun 13, 2013 1:35 PM

Oct 2012
BlackSabotage said:

No, that movie was not the best nor is that other live-action movie adaptation.

Jun 13, 2013 1:36 PM

Nov 2011
Tavor said:
BlackSabotage said:

No, that movie was not the best nor is that other live-action movie adaptation.
What other movie? The dark knight?
Jun 13, 2013 1:40 PM
Jul 2012
Just watch whatever looks interesting to you, no need to limit yourself by genres or demographics

For exemple thought I couldn't handle shows that were aimed toward girls/have romance as important part of the plot but Utena end up being in my top 10 anime of all time so yeah
Jun 13, 2013 1:46 PM

Dec 2012
The more you expand your taste, the easier it will be to find an anime to watch. So the answer is an obvious yes.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jun 13, 2013 2:16 PM

Nov 2011
That's a big ass list. Thanks.
Jun 13, 2013 2:27 PM

Nov 2011
JohnDavis32 said:
BlackSabotage said:
That's a big ass list. Thanks.

You will not believe the amount of time, I spend researching looking for anime to watch.

Now there is a good chance that you wont like all of it, but I'll leave that up to you. xD
I kinda feel pathetic caus I have such a small anime list :b
Jun 13, 2013 4:30 PM

Nov 2012
OP. Why not try Redline (2009)? It's basically a modern anime but with 80s/90s aesthetics and pack full of cyberpunk, hot-blooded actions and non of those "modern cliches" that's probably more close to your taste.

Also. I don't understand why anyone here who prefer old-school anime automatically get's dismiss as "nostalgia fanboy" even that I'm not one of those anime veteran who has been watching for more than 10 years.
Jun 13, 2013 4:37 PM

Oct 2012
Yes, it's always good to expand your horizons, even in genres you don't like to try and find a stand out.

Jun 13, 2013 4:52 PM

May 2013
MajinSaga said:
Durarara!! is awesome. Dubbed only of course. Don't bother with the japanese version.

don't do that dubs in that are shit.
well most of dubs are shit but i recommend you watch it in japanese
Jun 13, 2013 4:58 PM

Nov 2012
JohnDavis32 said:

If you're referring to moe, harem and mecha, they've all been major parts of the industry since the early 1980s.

I'm referring to things like weak male lead, emo characters, tsundere, annoying females, school girls fetish, MMO reference and other modern "nerdy" stuff.

And no, I love mecha. It's actually a dying genre since year 2000.

I don't how to describe modern anime industry and why I don't like it in general. It seems like "fappability" in anime is now officially more important than actually having good contents.
nekovisionJun 13, 2013 5:01 PM
Jun 13, 2013 5:28 PM
Mar 2013
BlackSabotage said:
So I keep getting called close minded for predominantly watching anime from the 70s and 80s

Don't let people make you confuse good taste for "closed-mindedness". It's a common problem in the internet age.
Jun 13, 2013 5:30 PM

Jun 2008
Wouldn't hurt to try something different.
Jun 13, 2013 5:36 PM
Feb 2012
My concern is to not only expand in Anime, but to expand my taste to what everyone is seeing right now. Motto: Don't be left out. Be up-to-date.
... though it depends on what you prefer. This is why you should do a little research before seeing.
Jun 13, 2013 5:52 PM

Sep 2011
I'm in like the complete opposite situation you're in. Ive been wondering if I should expand my taste and watch some of those -2000 anime. -o-
Jun 13, 2013 6:01 PM

Sep 2011
Forgetfulness said:
OriginANIME said:
I'm in like the complete opposite situation you're in. Ive been wondering if I should expand my taste and watch some of those -2000 anime. -o-

Same here. Well, I tried Cowboy Bebop before because of it's a "masterpiece" by most people's standards. It wasn't bad, but most of the episodes were rather boring IMO

Holy shit, Cowboy Bebop is a -2000 anime!? Ive had it on my PTW list for years now and always thought it was still pretty recent. *facepalm* LOL
Jun 13, 2013 6:02 PM

Oct 2010
OriginANIME said:
Forgetfulness said:
OriginANIME said:

Same here. Well, I tried Cowboy Bebop before because of it's a "masterpiece" by most people's standards. It wasn't bad, but most of the episodes were rather boring IMO

Holy shit, Cowboy Bebop is a -2000 anime!? Ive had it on my PTW list for years now and always thought it was pretty new. *facepalm* LOL

That's because it had gorgeous sound and animation for its time, even I was shocked at how old it was when I first started watching it.
Jun 13, 2013 7:44 PM

Nov 2011
Forgetfulness said:
OriginANIME said:

Actually most people here seem to think poorly of Bebop.
Jun 13, 2013 8:18 PM

Oct 2010
BlackSabotage said:
Forgetfulness said:
OriginANIME said:

I've only seen Bebop rated lower than an 8 on very few people's lists, and in the instances when I did I felt their ratings were... questionable, to say the least.
Jun 13, 2013 8:27 PM

Nov 2010
BlackSabotage said:
Forgetfulness said:
OriginANIME said:

Not really, it's rated 19 on the whole site. 85% of the users who have watched even 1 episode it have rated it 8 or over.
Jun 13, 2013 8:31 PM

Nov 2011
Just don't watch it!
Why do you force yourself to watch a shitty anime?
I don't get it.
I luv u
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days? ( 1 2 )

anizawa89 - May 10

52 by Ohayotaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you think Berserk will ever get the adaptation it truly deserves?

Gashadokur0 - May 9

36 by Old_School_Akira »»
4 minutes ago

» List of canceled anime.

ZXEAN - 7 hours ago

21 by WatchTillTandava »»
17 minutes ago

» Ever stopped watching an anime bc you like it so much ?

Yonahim_Zz - May 8

38 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
21 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 10

97 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.