Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 29, 2013 10:36 PM

Dec 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
The gas is definitely not strong enough or controlled enough to propel someone like that. Like you said the hooks couldn't be strong enough to easily go into concrete. And then how do they change from hook to hook? Do they somehow unhook it or do they have tons of rope and hooks?

And in the manga on the thing where it explained it, he said that he got help from a friend who is some sort of engineer or something like that. I don't even know if a human body could take the sort of movement they are doing.
Amarrez said:
It's impossible on a biological level.

You'd die from the g-force alone probably (if not being slammed into a wall), and the reaction times that would be needed to operate it are fucking impossible.

purdy much
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
May 30, 2013 5:40 AM

Apr 2013
Plausible or not, I will definitely be constructing a fabulous spiderman machine for myself when I start on my cosplay. =u=
>.>
Jun 24, 2013 11:40 PM

Dec 2012
Someone made a pretty decent DMT and posted it on youtube. Not sure if this has been posted yet
Jun 26, 2013 9:38 AM

Sep 2008
The ropes are connected to your body only on the waist area. The G-Force will kill you, break your body into two pieces, like a toy.
Jun 26, 2013 9:47 AM

Sep 2012
Eternia said:
The ropes are connected to your body only on the waist area. The G-Force will kill you, break your body into two pieces, like a toy.

even with a hypothetical full 100% perfect body harness, the g-force alone would simply kill you, ive given some rough but workable calculations a few posts up.
short of a strapping yourself into a water tank to equally spread the pressure, you will die using this.
100% of the time
Jun 28, 2013 5:39 AM

Sep 2008
eldest said:
Eternia said:

even with a hypothetical full 100% perfect body harness, the g-force alone would simply kill you, ive given some rough but workable calculations a few posts up.
short of a strapping yourself into a water tank to equally spread the pressure, you will die using this.
100% of the time

Well, I rule out the fact that they probably travel at 100 km/h. :-)
People would still broke their waist even if they travel slwoer.
Jun 28, 2013 5:55 AM

Sep 2012
Eternia said:
eldest said:
Eternia said:

100% of the time

Well, I rule out the fact that they probably travel at 100 km/h. :-)
People would still broke their waist even if they travel slwoer.

the calculations i did were only for 60 km/h. quite a lower bound estimate.
even then, they end up dead.
at 100 km/h, they end up dead, and ready to be packed as pet food
Jun 28, 2013 7:27 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
No, the 3DMG is physically impossible.
Jun 28, 2013 7:39 AM

Nov 2011
No. They arent. Just like Gundams, and all the other stuff animu.
The Art of Eight
Jun 29, 2013 8:23 AM

Oct 2010
Ah it's been enjoyable reading these posts.
Jun 29, 2013 8:38 PM

Jun 2008
Objurgo said:
Someone made a pretty decent DMT and posted it on youtube. Not sure if this has been posted yet

Seriously....people have too much free time...
Jun 29, 2013 9:37 PM

Sep 2011
Tis guy is really crafty, wow.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jun 29, 2013 10:06 PM

Dec 2012
JustALEX said:
Objurgo said:

On the bright side, this guy could have a future in making props :P
Jun 29, 2013 11:20 PM

Jun 2008
Objurgo said:
On the bright side, this guy could have a future in making props :P

Very true.
Jun 29, 2013 11:24 PM

May 2010
wrapping that around my waist will keep my pants down right...?
Jun 29, 2013 11:51 PM

Mar 2013
You will eventually hit a wall.
Jun 30, 2013 12:00 AM

Sep 2012
RandyBoyz92 said:
You will eventually hit a wall the ground.

you wont even make it that far
Jun 30, 2013 2:48 AM
May 2012
A quick way to end the thread would be to round up every explanation during the episodes and on those mid-episode transitions. Then explain why it would be impossible.

I would say it's obviously impossible even if we assume the characters were trained to resist the G-forces during flight and on landing. And then we also assume that gas is somehow so compressed that they won't need an entire tank to fly for 3 seconds.

A grappling hook sharp enough to pierce concrete, yet durable enough to be done continuously. A hook design that can firmly lock onto a wall but instantly lets go with a press of a button. An engine powerful enough to propel 60kg+ humans 80+kph through the air (random reasonable numbers) yet small and light enough that the person can still run on foot. Truly an engineering marvel.

Maybe it's just me, but I also never quite seen how they aimed the hooks, it always just flies where they need to be. Assuming it goes straight out the box, they would have to somehow twist their hips/thighs outwards for the wide shots. Unlikely that the sword/trigger aims it since their swords rarely point where it's shot.

Perhaps this plot happened because they spent all their resources making this rather than a Neck-slicer 3000 or something.
Jun 30, 2013 3:32 AM

Sep 2012
monomulti said:
A quick way to end the thread would be to round up every explanation during the episodes and on those mid-episode transitions. Then explain why it would be impossible.

I would say it's obviously impossible even if we assume the characters were trained to resist the G-forces during flight and on landing. And then we also assume that gas is somehow so compressed that they won't need an entire tank to fly for 3 seconds.

A grappling hook sharp enough to pierce concrete, yet durable enough to be done continuously. A hook design that can firmly lock onto a wall but instantly lets go with a press of a button. An engine powerful enough to propel 60kg+ humans 80+kph through the air (random reasonable numbers) yet small and light enough that the person can still run on foot. Truly an engineering marvel.

Maybe it's just me, but I also never quite seen how they aimed the hooks, it always just flies where they need to be. Assuming it goes straight out the box, they would have to somehow twist their hips/thighs outwards for the wide shots. Unlikely that the sword/trigger aims it since their swords rarely point where it's shot.

Perhaps this plot happened because they spent all their resources making this rather than a Neck-slicer 3000 or something.

or the director just put it in since it seemed cool and did absolutely 0 research into the plausibility of said design.
most people realize that, its just that some snk fans try to pass it of as semi realistic.
lol, no, even super robot shows feature more plausible designs for their mechs
Jun 30, 2013 3:48 AM

Nov 2011
eldest said:
monomulti said:

or the director just put it in since it seemed cool and did absolutely 0 research into the plausibility of said design.
most people realize that, its just that some snk fans try to pass it of as semi realistic.
lol, no, even super robot shows feature more plausible designs for their mechs

LOL no. Stop seeing what you want to see LMFAO
The Art of Eight
Jun 30, 2013 4:00 AM
Apr 2013
JustALEX said:
Objurgo said:

I laughed a bit when he started walking. But i gonna give him some props for actually figuring out the mechanism and tried to make it work in real life though.
Jun 30, 2013 4:04 AM

Jan 2013
monomulti said:

The hooks are shot out straight from their holder with a trigger from their hand, they can only aim it by turning their body if I am not wrong.

My main gripe is the ability of hooks being light and strong enough to pierce the walls. I still think compressed gas can propel a human to that speed, but perhaps for a couple of uses only.
A friend and I started ShoukoChan Anime T-shirts. We design modern and fashionable anime T-shirts you'd love to wear on a day out. Come check us out!
Jun 30, 2013 4:08 AM

Sep 2012
BlackShock_ said:
monomulti said:

The hooks are shot out straight from their holder with a trigger from their hand, they can only aim it by turning their body if I am not wrong.

My main gripe is the ability of hooks being light and strong enough to pierce the walls. I still think compressed gas can propel a human to that speed, but perhaps for a couple of uses only.

what about where they slingshot with 1 hook attached to 1 building on 1 side of a road, and one on the other, both shot at the same time.
unless you can do a vertical splits, it aint happening lol.

something light enough to pierce the walls isnt that farfetched, retrieving it, or using it more than once on the other hand...
Jun 30, 2013 4:24 AM

Jan 2013
eldest said:
BlackShock_ said:
monomulti said:

what about where they slingshot with 1 hook attached to 1 building on 1 side of a road, and one on the other, both shot at the same time.

something light enough to pierce the walls isnt that farfetched, retrieving it, or using it more than once on the other hand...

http://puu.sh/3rJZv.jpg
Like this?

http://puu.sh/3rK01.jpg
Or like this?

For the first one it's perfectly possible, but for the 2nd screenshot, it seems like 80 -90 % of the energy will be wasted, not practical for movement, but Eren did it to slow down before transforming into his Titan.

Still, the hooks shouldn't be able to stay attached during that move.. but oh well, anime physics.
A friend and I started ShoukoChan Anime T-shirts. We design modern and fashionable anime T-shirts you'd love to wear on a day out. Come check us out!
Jun 30, 2013 6:08 AM

Jan 2013
(When G issue is completely ignored) It would've been a little more plausible if it had 4 hooks, so 3DMG user can retrieve 2 stuck hooks shot while shooting other 2.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 30, 2013 6:29 AM

Sep 2012
DawnJ said:
(When G issue is completely ignored) It would've been a little more plausible if it had 4 hooks, so 3DMG user can retrieve 2 stuck hooks shot while shooting other 2.

plausible.
makes far more sense than 2.
still leaves the aiming problem, amongst many other things
Jun 30, 2013 7:05 AM

May 2013
eldest said:
BlackShock_ said:
monomulti said:

If you watch when Armin anchored himself to Eren-Titan's back, he fired the hooks down alongside. Seems the way he positioned the control handles directed where the hooks go.

HuechiJun 30, 2013 7:13 AM
Aug 14, 2013 4:27 AM
Aug 2013
I dont know, maybe the gas is a different element that behaves differently...
Sep 9, 2013 4:17 AM

Aug 2011
AirStyles said:
.... Wha... THIS!.. Anim...

My head hurts...

Don't worry...I don't know what language they are speaking either O.o
Sep 9, 2013 4:41 AM

Jun 2008
The system itself makes little sense consider the gas tanks they have. They wil need a lot more gas that they can carry for such a thing.
Also even if we assume that training is enough to give you the proper ability to withstand g-forces and fast reflexes needed the thing still is biologically impossible cause you will brake hands and legs every time you landed. You can land on rooftops and walls with speed and your bones tenons and else not suffer the damage.

StopDropAndBowl said:
JaegerTheMan said:
StopDropAndBowl said:
Good Lord, no.

What is it with people and thinking that everything in this show has to be realistic? It's a show about giants that eat 16th-century people 2,000 years in the future.... it's not going to be realistic.

Which makes me think, is it possible for humanity to win if they had access to modern weapons like missiles etc.?

They would probably be in a much better position to fight back. Assuming the Titans don't evolve at very high-speeds (their intelligence/abilities seem to be growing, but not exponentially) then they could very well be wiped out by tanks, missiles, nukes, airstrikes, coordinated artillery long before they could formulate an appropriate response. The 50 meter uber-Titan would still be a problem, but a bunker-buster could most likely take the big mother down without too much trouble.

Actually you underestimate our technology significantly. The Titans including the 50 meter one will be slaughtered by modern weapons. They have no chance in hell.
Sep 30, 2013 12:27 AM

Dec 2009
Edit: Oh alright couldn't find this topic. Thanks.

Mod Edit: Rather than start this discussion all over again, I have merged the new thread into the already existing thread.
IndoExamuraiSep 30, 2013 12:53 AM
Sep 30, 2013 12:30 AM

Jan 2013
no
no
yes
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Sep 30, 2013 12:38 AM
Aug 2011
"Plausable to use"? How is that going to be plausible? Are you going to hunt birds?

I can't keep up with the shitstorm anymore.
Sep 30, 2013 12:43 AM

Jul 2013
Isn't there a thread on this already? Oh and don't think too hard about 3DMG. Just shut up and enjoy the building slinging!

3DMG is nigh implausible.
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Sep 30, 2013 12:54 AM

Dec 2009
Adramelech said:
"Plausable to use"? How is that going to be plausible? Are you going to hunt birds?

Lol nothing wrong with hunting birds to the extreme.
Sep 30, 2013 12:57 AM
Jul 2013
well the main reason they take three years for the training is precisely this, handling the g-forces and minimising swinging and prioritising control. Compressed gas certainly can propel im quite certain, but the body will have to be very well built physically. Like the anime said, belts are wound all around the body to distribute tension. Think rope swinging, but on a much higher scale. Maybe possible, who knows but physicists.
Sep 30, 2013 1:00 AM

Sep 2013
I don't think the exact design concept is very feasible actually. But you can't nitpick every single thing in fiction. It is fiction after all.
Sep 30, 2013 2:23 AM

Sep 2012
cant believe i still have this thread watched. forgot it existed.
well. ill just bump my old comment back up for any idiot that actually legitimately believes this is plausible

eldest said:

i have episode 8 of gg's SNK
at 1:56 in the OP we see eren go above a titan then whip back down straight onto his neck, taking around .10-.20 seconds to achieve
lets assume they travel at around 60kmph fair call?
using this online calculator we can measure the G force of their acceleration as
start speed (he peaks at the top of his jump and quickly switches direction, meaning he technically has negative starting speed since he was traveling backwards then shot the opposite direction, but well just leave his start speed at zero for the sake of argument)
start speed=0
final speed=60kmph
time taken=.10=
Acceleration 166.67 m/s2 or 546.67 ft/s2 or 16.99 g

(16.99g times erens body weight (average weight between 50-60kg, we'll use 55)
=934kg equivalent body weight during acceleration. close to 1 tonne. you're bones arent just breaking, you're dead

well be more lenient and put it at .20 seconds taken=
Acceleration 83.33 m/s2 or 273.33 ft/s2 or 8.49 g
(same as before)
=466kg
severely injured, blacked out, you'll be dead once you hit whatever is below you

now well measure the deceleration with this

start speed in mph (60kmph=37mph, this calculator only runs in mph)
start speed=37mph
end speed=0
time taken=<0.10

estimated deceleration is about
370 mph per second or 16.82g's

case closed.
Sep 30, 2013 3:34 AM

Sep 2013
at this moment, we are able to create 3D gear but it will be hard to use it with minimal casualties
look at the cities or forests, high building or trees will easily take you down O_O
besides that, we can't go again the natural laws, especially the gravity and friction

Adramelech said:

yep, wear the 3D gear and take a gun with you, so you can shoot down the birds XD
Sep 30, 2013 4:49 AM

Nov 2012
ductaubg127 said:

Adramelech said:

yep, wear the 3D gear and take a gun with you, so you can shoot down the birds XD

Hahaha, overkill much?

Well, at least the explanation offered has more thought in it than Batman's grappling hook, not that it doesn't look cool either. I for one appreciate when authors try to put some thought into such inventions.

Then there's the presence of those black boxes in the designs, the contents of which are "confidential" and probably intended to deflect many of the plausibility questions (aka the 'applied phlebotinum' trope). But yeah, from a physical and biological standpoint using the maneuvering gear doesn't seem feasible.
Sep 30, 2013 6:41 PM

Jul 2008
If you completely disregard what the 3DMG would do to the human body... the true fail of it really is in the environment that it's used.

You would need to have absolute faith in the structural integrity of EVERY single objects used by the grapplers. All it would take is piercing a weak branch, poorly cemented brick, etc. to bring your 3D activities to a smashing end lol.
Sep 30, 2013 7:20 PM

Aug 2011
Forgetfulness said:
No, you will die from G-forces if you spin like they do. Not that spinning in that situation is viable for anything except looking cool

(said all the physicists on MAL)

Nice Aoko avatar.

But yeah what he said.
Oct 9, 2013 6:15 AM
Mar 2013
Pogo Stick.

Fixed.

*pictures Eren, with his serious I-will-kill-all-titans-expression, in fast pursuit of a vicious (aka drunk) looking one on his trusty titan killing pogo stick*

Am I right, or am I right?
Oct 9, 2013 4:10 PM

Apr 2012
What I noticed in the anime that the technological level their civilization has attained;
There should be at least some sort of
Hot air balloons
Trains
Gliders

But given their world is in constant threat by Titans and their survival hangs by a thread. I don't see why the people especially their youth have much of career options. Its either you're a soldier or farmer. Plus you have a government that's merely content with the way things are and may view any type of progress taboo.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Oct 9, 2013 11:11 PM
Mar 2013
What I noticed in the anime that the technological level their civilization has attained;
Hot air balloons
Trains
Gliders

But given their world is in constant threat by Titans and their survival hangs by a thread. I don't see why the people especially their youth have much of career options. Its either you're a soldier or farmer. Plus you have a government that's merely content with the way things are and may view any type of progress taboo.

C'mon, with the 3D movement gear a pogo stick shouldn't be too far fetched.

I'll kill 'em all- with my pogo stick! Bwahahahahaha!
Oct 9, 2013 11:12 PM
Mar 2013
Janethan23 said:
Hot air balloons
Trains
Gliders

The quote thing is confusing... Sorry D,X
Oct 9, 2013 11:18 PM

Jul 2013
NameMeLife said:
Hot air balloons
Trains
Gliders

C'mon, with the 3D movement gear a pogo stick shouldn't be too far fetched.

I'll kill 'em all- with my pogo stick! Bwahahahahaha!
On hot air balloons...

I think we should leave it at how lax humanity has become inside the walls.
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Dec 3, 2013 9:25 PM
Dec 2013
If you really think about it, the military has already made it. It's just not exactly the same or has powerful as in Attack on Titan. Also though some of you say the G-force will kill you that's true but only if you were flying at speeds faster than most fighter jets. The gear is showed flinging them extremely fast but you could probably go(and this is a perfect military design going only a small distance)about 20mph. And like i said it already exist for military use. If you think about normal rappel ropes are a basic design of 3DMG, and we've already improved that alot. Back on speed and G-force though it seems faster they're only going about the speed of a car in small city.
Dec 3, 2013 10:38 PM

Nov 2013
StopDropAndBowl said:
Good Lord, no.

What is it with people and thinking that everything in this show has to be realistic? It's a show about giants that eat 16th-century people 2,000 years in the future.... it's not going to be realistic.
The giants seem to be the only significant difference between the SnK world and our world.
IlenaMar 30, 2014 6:27 PM
Interested in Japanese dance songs? See this thread: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=702085
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.