Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 24, 2013 5:13 AM

Dec 2012
Score will rise toward the end of this anime so don't worry. I watched Aku no Hana not because of the score. People who use MAL's ratings as reference to watch anime will most certainly drop this after episode 1 anyways.
May 24, 2013 5:16 AM

Sep 2012
Haifuuko said:
Maybe Because People Pay More Attention To The Art Style Rather Than The Plot Itself. But Who Am i To Say That Since i Never Started On It. Maybe Later. Maybe...

you are smart sir, i am one of those ppl

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 2013 3:43 PM

Oct 2010
Whoa damn, I forgot how addictive this forum section was. Will have to catch up with the anime to keep having fun. I wanted to leave it for a future marathon, but...

9988 said:
KingYoshi said:
The series is awesome. Low Score = No Moe. Just ignore the score and enjoy!

This, but intelligent, well educated and wise fans NEVER EVER trust any ratings and/or reviews but their own judgement, let alone watch/or dont something based or MAL ratings?

Sort of, but trusting ratings and/or reviews is essential to discover stuff across the internet. So there's no need to be so categorical.
May 25, 2013 10:36 PM

Sep 2010
I actually don't mind the art, but its slow paced and well the plot is average so 5/10. The manga is a bit better though and fast paced, but not much is going for it either so 6 or 7/10 from me.

Also has the first volume been released yet? What are the sells?
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 26, 2013 1:02 AM

May 2012
jal90 said:
Whoa damn, I forgot how addictive this forum section was. Will have to catch up with the anime to keep having fun. I wanted to leave it for a future marathon, but...

9988 said:
KingYoshi said:

This, but intelligent, well educated and wise fans NEVER EVER trust any ratings and/or reviews but their own judgement, let alone watch/or dont something based or MAL ratings?

Sort of, but trusting ratings and/or reviews is essential to discover stuff across the internet. So there's no need to be so categorical.

Its an indicative yes, but being the sole or primary factor to decide what to watch or what not to is the most flawed method.

No wonder people here dont know Captain Harlock, Touch, Yamato, H2, Heidi, Ahsita no Joe, Ace wo neare, hana Yori Dango and so on...see how flawed it is?, If I were a new fan and trust MAL ratings, I would have missed those classics and mnay of the trust best anime ever and believe their low score is because they are crap instead because people just dont know then or those that watch tme and rate them are primarily new fans than cannot appreciate them because the look dated and not as hot as shingeki no kyouijin (no random example, not lookign down on my second fav series this season).

Best thing to do is just check the premises, sure, see ratings and whats hot or not, do your research but always try for yourself and decide based on your own judgement.

Many of us know better how bipolar the community is, how biased, how unfair, indeed like in Aku no hana´s case and many more.
May 26, 2013 2:52 AM

Oct 2010
9988 said:
jal90 said:

9988 said:
KingYoshi said:

Its an indicative yes, but being the sole or primary factor to decide what to watch or what not to is the most flawed method.

Indeed.

9988 said:
No wonder people here dont know Captain Harlock, Touch, Yamato, H2, Heidi, Ahsita no Joe, Ace wo neare, hana Yori Dango and so on...see how flawed it is?, If I were a new fan and trust MAL ratings, I would have missed those classics and mnay of the trust best anime ever and believe their low score is because they are crap instead because people just dont know then or those that watch tme and rate them are primarily new fans than cannot appreciate them because the look dated and not as hot as shingeki no kyouijin (no random example, not lookign down on my second fav series this season).

The issue with old series is not specifically ratings and reviews because there is not an active divisive fan discussion over them. Have you ever found a negative review for Akage no Anne? Because I'm still looking for it.

If anything, it is a very different thing that doesn't translate in ratings and reviews necessarily... hype. Them being in the news, blog entries, MAL hot discussions, etc. Which is not anime exclusive. Of course that in the case of MAL can be translated into an inflated rating (as well as the last Nolan movie floats around the top5 of the IMDb list during at least 2-3 months after its airing), but that is a secondary answer.

9988 said:
Best thing to do is just check the premises, sure, see ratings and whats hot or not, do your research but always try for yourself and decide based on your own judgement.

Agreed.

9988 said:
Many of us know better how bipolar the community is, how biased, how unfair, indeed like in Aku no hana´s case and many more.

The case of Aku no hana in fact is quite close to what it was implied to be, you've actually read the author saying that he wanted to create controversy...
May 26, 2013 9:40 AM
Jun 2008
people were overeating when they first saw the first episode and won't admit that they were wrong now.
May 26, 2013 10:12 AM

May 2013
Well it's obvious that people don't like the anime because of the animation it's strange for them

For me I like it because it's very different from the anime and manga that I've seen so far, I was shocked to some comment about it has low score because of the story itself like the near rape scene in the manga ?? Like really ?? It supposed to be an mature and twisted manga if you can't accept it then what about the school days anime ?? Kissxsis??

Besides Aku no hana is supposed to target mature audiences, and if you love moe anime then this is not for you.

I LOVE THE MANGA AND THE ANIME OF IT ! If you read the manga then you probably know how great the story is right ??

I think judging an anime just because of the animation and appearance is SHALLOW and STUPID.
May 26, 2013 10:56 AM

Oct 2010
Teresa_21 said:
Besides Aku no hana is supposed to target mature audiences, and if you love moe anime then this is not for you.

I LOVE THE MANGA AND THE ANIME OF IT ! If you read the manga then you probably know how great the story is right ??

I think judging an anime just because of the animation and appearance is SHALLOW and STUPID.

Do people actually still put this bullshit into the debate? It's so April 2013.

I'll have to get up to date, damn it.
May 26, 2013 11:31 AM
Jan 2013
The score has only been going up these past few days.
May 26, 2013 12:33 PM

Jan 2012
Amparo said:
The score has only been going up these past few days.

It's gone from low 5000 to 5483.
May 26, 2013 4:42 PM

Mar 2013
Don't use the ratings to judge how an anime is. Judging anything is only made by the individual themselves after they experience it at least once. Ratings are there to show how popular the series is for a certain group of people.

Not everyone likes the concept of something new and different. Not everyone is patient enough to give things a better chance before judging it. Not everyone wants to watch a slice of life anime that looks closest to real life.

Here's a little something to know.

when you see something long enough you become accustomed to it.

Not much happens in episode 1 but give you an ideal of the pacing is going to go. It's not a good episode to judge the entire anime.

May 27, 2013 9:38 AM

Aug 2010
When looking at review scores, take into account ones with abnormal spikes like this one. The distribution of scores should curve naturally. For an "average" anime you should probably have 6 or 7 as the highest amount of votes with 5/8 next and then 4/9 with 10/1 being the lowest. Once you see a spike in 10s that equals fanboys and a spike in 1s means haters.

If this anime were really bad, the amount of 2 and 3 votes would be higher.

(note: see the STATS page)
May 27, 2013 11:05 AM

Oct 2012
well, for most (including me) it would be the art. Of course, after the entire thing ends, I'll eventually change my score to something more reasonable, but the first episode was a real turn off -__-'

May 30, 2013 3:40 PM

Mar 2013
I don't see how this show could possibly be past 5500 in rank. It's very good

3nvy said:
that eoten be eatin the pizza pi

Does anybody know a way that a body could get away?
May 31, 2013 4:27 AM

Dec 2007
In two weeks the score has risen from 5.80 to 6.07 to 6.18 (now). When the series ends, people will have needed to watch at least 3 episodes for their score to count. Barring some organized effort to artificially keep the score low, I expect it to keep rising.

The long term trend for show scores is a slow decline. This is unsurprising as the fanboys are usually the first consumers of a show and most likely to give it a high score, while later watchers may not be so keen on the material. "Artsy" shows, like this one, which are highly stylized and lack action typically rise in score though over time. Time will tell.
May 31, 2013 6:56 AM

Dec 2012
Bdiah said:

The long term trend for show scores is a slow decline. This is unsurprising as the fanboys are usually the first consumers of a show and most likely to give it a high score, while later watchers may not be so keen on the material. "Artsy" shows, like this one, which are highly stylized and lack action typically rise in score though over time. Time will tell.

You are spot on about the downward trend over time of anime's scores after finish airing. However, I think the trend generally goes for all popular shows, regardless of whether they are "artsy," or "generic." The reason are:

- People who are procrastinators usually are not interested in the anime enough to wait for weekly episodes. Thus, they will rate lower score on average than people who follow the anime week after week

- Late commer, just like you said, are generally un-interested in the anime at first. Some only watch it due to insistence by their friends. Most of the time, the anime will turn out to be not to their liking.

- Your reasoning about stylized shows is correct if Aku no Hana is an obscure show that can gain a cult status. Unfortunately, it is popular due to ridiculous amount of criticism on the net. Thus it attracts haters, or to put it more technical, a popular show to hate on the level of School Days. I personally think that is bull-crap but that's how MAL fanboyism works.

Therefore, I predict that Aku no Hana score will reach its peak in a couple days right after the anime finishes airing, and then it will decline over time.
ThangLongMay 31, 2013 7:08 AM
May 31, 2013 9:42 AM

Apr 2012
I don't think it will raise above a 7.00 due to the 600 biased 1's people gave it after the first episode.
Jun 4, 2013 4:39 PM

Nov 2011
Durbikins said:
I don't think it will raise above a 7.00 due to the 600 biased 1's people gave it after the first episode.

'Stop disliking what I like!'

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jun 4, 2013 4:48 PM
Jul 2012
The main two reason that I see are people hate the animation because its different its not bad its different most people either hate or love it I personally love it cause it makes the characters feel real. The second reason is the story just like the animation most people are ganna swing one way or he other because once again its different, its weird and everything but its really good and compelling it draws you in and with both the animation and the story being strange I don't think people are giving it a chance. The thing is if you go on crunchyroll after ep 2 or 3 all the eps are rated 5s so like i said most people kinda dropped it and then gave it a score which isn't fair.
Jun 4, 2013 4:56 PM
Jul 2012
Bdiah said:
In two weeks the score has risen from 5.80 to 6.07 to 6.18 (now). When the series ends, people will have needed to watch at least 3 episodes for their score to count. Barring some organized effort to artificially keep the score low, I expect it to keep rising.

I will be happy once the series is done then and most of those scores don't count cause I dont think most people that gave it a low score watch more than one episode
Jun 4, 2013 7:00 PM
Mar 2011
x5thStProdigyx said:
Bdiah said:

I will be happy once the series is done then and most of those scores don't count cause I dont think most people that gave it a low score watch more than one episode

after the episode 1, it was just a hair under 5, rose every week and it looks like it settled at 6.18. i dont think this will even hit 6.5
"....i am the villain in this story"
Jun 4, 2013 7:13 PM

Feb 2013
The people are really nonconformist. They like perfect things. No changes accepted, they don't want to see different things. They are buried in a fucking vacuum, and they're not meant to get out.

Jun 5, 2013 4:35 PM

Dec 2012
Most people who rated this anime probably saw the first episode, got a shit impression of it, and gave it a 1 along with dropping it. Now, if you took just the people who are still following this anime, the score will be drastically different, for the better.
Jun 5, 2013 7:40 PM

Dec 2007
amginex said:
x5thStProdigyx said:
Bdiah said:

after the episode 1, it was just a hair under 5, rose every week and it looks like it settled at 6.18. i dont think this will even hit 6.5

Your prediction may be true. I don't know some of the finer points of how MyAnimeList does their scoring. For example, we know that ~20% of a show must be watched before a show is counted, but is that based on number of episodes in a series total, or number of episodes aired. I would assume that it is number of episodes aired, except that show still register scores when far less than 20% of the show has aired. Perhaps the 20% rule only applies to "finished" shows and not "currently airing" shows. We shall see in a few weeks. If the scores jump substantially once the series is marked "finished" then we will know that the scoring system using two different counts.

Already there is some discrepancy in the vote count and rating average for the show. Two weeks ago, the "number of users scoring" and the "average rating" precisely matched the sum displayed on the statistics page. Today, there appears to be a pretty impressive discrepancy, with 300 votes apparently not being counted and an average rating of 6.18 which, by the numbers shown on the stats page, should be 6.21. This might just be a delay of the website in updating though.
Jun 5, 2013 8:24 PM
Feb 2012
Durbikins said:

You're just sore that there is a hate train and there's no way you can rid it yourself.

AOT doesn't have one because it actually has a good story. I haven't watched but at least we have some anime that's worthy of a sub-9 average grade. Hard to imagine it having one anyways.

ANH as you know does have its haters for justified reasons. Some people don't like the art, others don't like the characters, and others just don't like the way the story goes, regardless of what the manga has to offer. The score went up only because as you imply, only those who have continued are enjoying it while some cba to pick up on what was lost.
Jun 7, 2013 10:15 AM

Oct 2012
After watching the first episode, I found the art hilariously bad, but decided to soldier on and watch more. I dropped the show after getting about halfway through the 3rd episode, because everything that happened was utterly retarded and the main character seemed irredeemably useless.

Also, you need to watch 1/4 of a show or something like that for your rating to count, so all the 1s after one episode don't matter.
Jun 7, 2013 10:18 AM

Nov 2012
Because rotoscoping....
/thread
Jun 7, 2013 12:12 PM

Jul 2012
6.23 and going up... :D
Jun 7, 2013 9:39 PM

Mar 2010
IntervisioN said:
Most people who rated this anime probably saw the first episode, got a shit impression of it, and gave it a 1 along with dropping it. Now, if you took just the people who are still following this anime, the score will be drastically different, for the better.

You think the people that are dropping Aku no Hana's average have watched even a single episode? If they had, this anime would easily be rated in the 8s.

Aku no Hana is rated as low as it is because of the art style, and ONLY the art style. People saw the trailers and still images and pretended they were bothered by them, while ignoring the far-inferior art styles of Mononoke, Kaiji, Shiki, Kaiba, LotGH, Hajime no Ippo, Mahou Shoujo Madoka's witch realm and ANYTHING by Shaft.

Great story will always stomp great art. End of. :)
Jun 8, 2013 10:30 AM

Mar 2012
While I think that this topic has been pretty much covered, there's one last thing I'd like to add. The reason of the low score is explicitly the art-style, but the art style has not only been thoroughly appreciated by critics at FUNimation and looked poorly upon by the typical viewer, but I believe it is a perfect fit for the overall tone of this series. Rotoscoping was used because they were trying to make this series uncomfortable for the viewer (strictly my opinion, by the way). It's not the typical art style because it's supposed to seem more realistic, more -- heh, I wouldn't necessarily say 'relatable', but, well, I suppose realistic covers the jist.
Jun 10, 2013 2:19 PM
Apr 2009
This is the best anime in years; lmbo @ the 6.25 average.
Jun 10, 2013 3:11 PM
Feb 2012
The score's low because of the Episode 1 uproar, had this not have happened, guarantee you the score would be in the >8.00 range.
Jun 10, 2013 3:16 PM
Apr 2009
I expect this series to set a new record for "biggest increase in mean score upon series completion" once it's over and only the scores of people who've seen more than 3 episodes are counted. At least among single-cour series, anyway.
Jun 12, 2013 6:49 PM

Dec 2007
I won't speak to what score this show "should" be; only to what I think it WILL be.

After 4 weeks of tracking the scores, I am ready to make some educated predictions. The score is slowly rising (6.26 this week), with the new "7 and above" votes far exceeding the new "6 and below" votes. As a result of this trend, next week I expect the show to be around 6.31. In three weeks, when the series finishes, I expect it will jump up to about 6.40.

This would still be a very very bad score for a television show (average rating: 7.4) on MAL. A score of 6.40 would place this series in the bottom 25% of television shows on MAL.

The ultimate score is really hard to predict right now. Many users don't assign scores until after a show has finished. Furthermore, Its difficult to predict how many people will actually see the show once the show ends. I think we can all agree that this show is unlikely to get an international release, but it will be on Crunchyroll for a while.

I'll update again next week and see if I can't refine my predictions.
Jun 13, 2013 10:36 AM
Mar 2011
Bdiah said:
I won't speak to what score this show "should" be; only to what I think it WILL be.

After 4 weeks of tracking the scores, I am ready to make some educated predictions. The score is slowly rising (6.26 this week), with the new "7 and above" votes far exceeding the new "6 and below" votes. As a result of this trend, next week I expect the show to be around 6.31. In three weeks, when the series finishes, I expect it will jump up to about 6.40.

This would still be a very very bad score for a television show (average rating: 7.4) on MAL. A score of 6.40 would place this series in the bottom 25% of television shows on MAL.

The ultimate score is really hard to predict right now. Many users don't assign scores until after a show has finished. Furthermore, Its difficult to predict how many people will actually see the show once the show ends. I think we can all agree that this show is unlikely to get an international release, but it will be on Crunchyroll for a while.

I'll update again next week and see if I can't refine my predictions.

about the international release, with how the lip/mouth rotoscoping was done, dubbing this would look alot more ridiculous than dubbing a regular anime
"....i am the villain in this story"
Jun 13, 2013 11:34 AM

Mar 2013
I figure after it's finished, with the scores of people seeing more than 3 episodes the only ones that count, it will reach slightly above a 7.

3nvy said:
that eoten be eatin the pizza pi

Does anybody know a way that a body could get away?
Jun 13, 2013 12:01 PM

Dec 2012
It's because most people dropped it after 1 or 2 episodes because it started a little slow and they didnt like the art. I didn't like the first 3 episodes that much, but after that I fell in love with it. At first it was like a 1 to me, but it really is a great anime (8.5/10 in my eyes)
Jun 20, 2013 1:01 PM
Jan 2009
Why do I feel like such a minority for actually liking this art style? People are morons if they don't find the art appealing just because it isn't 'cute'.

I prefer story content to moe, because I'm looking for something to keep me entertained.
Jun 20, 2013 1:35 PM

Aug 2010
Because the story is pretentious and the art is atrocious. I read the manga and hated it. I watched the show and hated it more.
Jun 20, 2013 1:49 PM

Apr 2007
shit art my friend shit art
Jun 20, 2013 4:16 PM

Sep 2008
6.30 is not a low rating. It is 1.3 above average. Then again, we are on the site called MAL, where shows like SAO gets 8+ rating, and everything less then 7 sucks.

The art is amazing. It is one of the most beutifhul anime series I have seen. The characters can look wierd, but the art and design is amazing. The backgrounds looks incredible. It is very diffrent and I like it. Just started seeing it, and I havent any idea with people call the art bad. It's above 99.9% of all animes out there. It might not be your style, but the art is not "shit". The pace is fucking slow tho, and the story is just... we seen it before. The characters however act way more human then your regular anime, which is also a very nice. I only seen 2 episodes, but I also dont get the rating. It makes no sense whatsoever.
Jun 20, 2013 7:18 PM

Apr 2012
CEMPUNK said:

Have you even watched it past the first episode?
Jun 20, 2013 10:30 PM

Jan 2013
CEMPUNK said:

So very shitty indeed.

Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Jun 20, 2013 10:32 PM

Feb 2013
I don't think it's a low score. But it deserves more.

Jun 20, 2013 10:37 PM

Dec 2009
This anime deserves so much more than its current score. But... scores are just scores, so I'll just take solace in the fact that there are people who do appreciate it for what it is.

Yes, at first I hated the art style and thought it was odd. However, as I continued watching the series I realized that the art style, music, everything was done the way it should have been done. I can't imagine rainbow sunshine kawaii characters representing those in the manga the way rotoscoping does. It puts the anime on a whole new level--something much deeper.
Jun 21, 2013 8:17 AM

Jul 2012
LimeSlate said:
The score's low because of the Episode 1 uproar, had this not have happened, guarantee you the score would be in the >8.00 range.

Certainly :)
Jun 21, 2013 2:14 PM

Mar 2013
gstaad said:
CEMPUNK said:

So very shitty indeed.

Do you have a gif from that dream where the flowers (still planted) are swaying in the wind? It was bloody brilliant.
Jun 21, 2013 5:05 PM

Jan 2013
petch said:
gstaad said:
CEMPUNK said:

So very shitty indeed.

Do you have a gif from that dream where the flowers (still planted) are swaying in the wind? It was bloody brilliant.
Just search for Aku no Hana on Tumblr.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Jun 21, 2013 10:22 PM
Feb 2012
Danpmss said:
LimeSlate said:

Certainly :)

Don't imply I like it though. The story is indeed terrible and I'm not so fond on RS.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

325 by princesjelyfish »»
May 4, 3:41 AM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2013

253 by princesjelyfish »»
Apr 24, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.