Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
May 20, 2013 2:07 AM

Jan 2012
I haven't watched it yet but I heard it was one of the good shows of the season...yet the score is low...what happened?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 20, 2013 2:12 AM

Mar 2012
Just look around in the sub-forum to find out.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 20, 2013 2:15 AM

Jan 2009
because the anime art is bad looking compared to the fappable art of the manga, but if you could forgive the art style of the anime (and i think its very good) then its still a good watch even though the storytelling is slow pace
May 20, 2013 2:41 AM

Oct 2010
Maybe Because People Pay More Attention To The Art Style Rather Than The Plot Itself. But Who Am i To Say That Since i Never Started On It. Maybe Later. Maybe...
May 20, 2013 2:49 AM
May 2010
If the ones making this failed deliver a not-terribad animation when they could do way better, then this doesn't deserve anything higher than a 4.
May 20, 2013 2:52 AM

Aug 2012
Ignoring the horribad animation/art, if you look at it from a newcomer's perspective, you'll find that—while this plot is really compelling—it's just flat out whacky and wtf-ey.

Clothes ninja? Near-rape scenes? Practically NTR? Spineless MC?

There's just too much to hate about it. I'm not even sure the manga will fix that, so I haven't bothered reading it.
May 20, 2013 2:57 AM

Jul 2011
The score is low because there is no moe girls and most are fanatic manga readers but the show is good.
May 20, 2013 3:04 AM

Sep 2012
MellowJello said:
Ignoring the horribad animation/art.

You can't do that, because it's the main reason behind the low rating.

And LOL @ that favorite user thread. How did I miss that shit?
May 20, 2013 3:13 AM
Nov 2011
MellowJello said:
Ignoring the horribad animation/art, if you look at it from a newcomer's perspective, you'll find that—while this plot is really compelling—it's just flat out whacky and wtf-ey.

There's just too much to hate about it. I'm not even sure the manga will fix that, so I haven't bothered reading it.

Are you sure that you are not just stating your opinions, in a fashion that implies them being facts?

Many people in real life do have issues with social interactions. A good lot of modern anime portray idealised, stoic protagonists, with traits which rarely applies to actual people.
Aku no Hana chose to portray a less idealised protagonist, and you perceive this a negative story trait?

You really do resemble the protagonist of this serie, in how you seem to be stuck in the romantic/symbolistic era.
May 20, 2013 3:18 AM

Dec 2012
MellowJello said:

- There is no NTR
- Spineless MC ? yea because people never watched a show with a character like that
- If the story was the cause of the low rating the manga would be ranked below 7.00

It's the art/animation nothing more and nothing less.
May 20, 2013 3:20 AM

Aug 2012
Comandante said:
MellowJello said:

Are you sure that you are not just stating your opinions, in a fashion that implies them being facts?

Many people in real life do have issues with social interactions. A good lot of modern anime portray idealised, stoic protagonists, with traits which rarely applies to actual people.
Aku no Hana chose to portray a less idealised protagonist, and you perceive this a negative story trait?

You really do resemble the protagonist of this serie, in how you seem to be stuck in the romantic/symbolistic era.
I'm stating them as opinions.

Indeed they do. Indeed anime do.
Indeed I do.

Ummm... Uh... I'll just say I like pineapples.

People like it? Fine. People don't like it? Also fine. Drop it at that and don't get butthurt over the Internet. Please.
tsudecimo said:
It's the art/animation nothing more and nothing less.
Fair enough.

Jun 2011
Comandante said:
MellowJello said:

Whoa whoa, stop attacking him, I gotta agree with him. I've said this somewhere before, but Aku no Hana is basically a guy become crazy and do crazy things with a crazy girl, and made another girl crazy, and she did something crazy, and it's all in the craziness, BUT, as I've said this somewhere, again, I can see the craziness, but I can't sense the insanity (Just like most of the shoujo romance manga out there, I can see the romance, but I can't sense the love), well I read the manga anyway, until chapter 30 or so (fast paced reading) and dropped it, dropped the anime at it's first episode.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control

Jul 2011
There is not much to complain about the animation, the backgrounds are beautiful and after the second episode you already get used to the rotoscoping.
May 20, 2013 3:41 AM

Jan 2012
Because people watched one or two episode's and rated it 1, like this MellowJello moron.
May 20, 2013 4:10 AM

Sep 2012
Bison- said:
Because people watched one or two episode's and rated it 1, like this MellowJello moron.

She watched 4 episodes actually, and well, people do whatever they want.

She is still a moron though.
May 20, 2013 4:28 AM

Nov 2007
People are usually visually subjective and are more likely to not take a second look at people they don't know, who are not "good looking" in their eyes.

It is the same with Aku no Hana. Some people like the artwork/animation because they find it visually appealing. Others who don't find it visually appealing have dropped it on the first episode.

Some have gone further and tried it out for a few episodes because they may have read the manga prior to the anime and liked the story or gives everything at least 3~4 episodes... before they dropped it.

The rating is something you shouldn't stress over because it is all purely subjective in the end, nothing more.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
May 20, 2013 4:57 AM
Nov 2011
Natsu12345 said:
Comandante said:
MellowJello said:

Whoa whoa, stop attacking him, I gotta agree with him. I've said this somewhere before, but Aku no Hana is basically a guy become crazy and do crazy things with a crazy girl, and made another girl crazy, and she did something crazy, and it's all in the craziness, BUT, as I've said this somewhere, again, I can see the craziness, but I can't sense the insanity (Just like most of the shoujo romance manga out there, I can see the romance, but I can't sense the love), well I read the manga anyway, until chapter 30 or so (fast paced reading) and dropped it, dropped the anime at it's first episode.

I understand your point, and when the series is finished, I may well want to further discuss it with you. However, your point hasn't got much to do with MellowJello's initial statement. While you, if I've understood it right, perceived the plot devises as shallow, he seems to just have a dislike for that sort of plot devises.
Therefore, rather than judging the series by its qualities, or lack of qualities, he appears to have judged it by his own dislike for the genre it belongs to.
May 20, 2013 8:24 AM

Aug 2012
SetsukoHara said:
Bison- said:

She watched 4 episodes actually, and well, people do whatever they want.

She is still a moron though.
I'm more troubled by the fact people still think I'm female, than by people beliving I'm a moron. Hoo hoo.

What's more, the fact that I'm still watching it (for comedic value), seems to be bothering people so much that they're using assumptions about me to further their argument. Come on, guys.
May 20, 2013 9:31 AM
Apr 2013
People can't pass the barrier entry that is rotoscope. Just that. And oh! Their favorite masochist masturbatory fantasy called Nakamura isn't moe bait.

My advise? Any bandwagon is horrible, be it to praise or hate it, and you should watch to make your own opinion. Nakamura is by FAR the best thing to come out of this season and nothing, and i say nothing with the utmost certainty, NOTHING in this entire season will top what episode 7 of Aku no Hana manage to do. It's 22 minutes of pure briliance.
May 20, 2013 11:55 PM

Jan 2013
This is sexy
May 21, 2013 3:19 AM

Jan 2008
RediceRyan said:
This is sexy

It's also incredibly stupid. What's your point?
May 21, 2013 5:19 AM

Aug 2012
Just watch episode one and it'l all make sense to you. probably figure it out 1minute in
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
May 21, 2013 7:20 AM

Nov 2007
DmonHiro said:
It's also incredibly stupid.

Nah, it isn't.
May 21, 2013 10:02 AM

Jul 2012
The score is low because people don't find rotoscopy attractive (a.k.a. MOE)
Well, this is just stupid in my oppinion, this show is incredible!
May 21, 2013 10:52 AM
Jul 2018
Danpmss said:
The score is low because people don't find rotoscopy attractive (a.k.a. MOE)
Well, this is just stupid in my oppinion, this show is incredible!

My thoughts exactly.
May 21, 2013 11:07 AM

Jan 2013
ainky said:
The score is low because there is no moe girls and most are fanatic manga readers but the show is good.
This.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 21, 2013 11:12 AM

Dec 2012
A lot people think it looks like shit, myself included, and that's more than enough reason to drop it or give it a low score.
May 21, 2013 11:47 AM

Jun 2012
I think it's great. I didn't like it at first, but I'm starting to love the show and the art.
Haunt-botMay 21, 2013 11:53 AM
Shoot first, think never.
May 21, 2013 11:51 AM

Jul 2012
Monde11 said:
A lot people think it looks like shit, myself included, and that's more than enough reason to drop it or give it a low score.

That's not true!
It's really unfair to judge the show by how it looks, my friend!
Imagine if everybody decides to don't watch Lain or Cowboy Bebop just because it looks old. It would be an disaster probably.
Same thing happened after that yaoi scene on Shinsekai yori (a LOT of people dropped it), and still, it was almost perfect, and received a well rounded 8.42
May 21, 2013 2:01 PM

Apr 2012
Plebeians.
May 21, 2013 2:43 PM
Aug 2012
Because most of the anime fan-base consists of superficial idiots.

Nothing new here.
May 21, 2013 2:50 PM

Jan 2008
Danpmss said:
Monde11 said:

That's not true!

It's perfectly normal to judge a visual medium on its visuals.
May 21, 2013 2:52 PM

May 2012
nnangle said:
Because most of the anime fan-base consists of superficial idiots.

Nothing new here.
el_putazo said:
ainky said:
This.

Darn right, Straight to the issue.

Moe and fanservice fans are the ones to blame, too shallow, superficial and super biased people.
May 21, 2013 2:53 PM

Mar 2012
I haven't seen it, but I read some of the manga, and it's probably based mainly on the art, and partly on the fact that it's an adaptation of a pseudo-intellectual train-wreck that's main appeal is how unrealistically whacked the wierdsmobile characters can get before they end up paying the Fonze to jump the fucking shark-pit. Only this time he's reading overrated, hedonist "poetry" while he's doing it! RIVETING!

While it doesn't help that the art actually fits the story's premise now, it is telling that half as many people dropped this steaming pile as actually read the manga. While this kind of crap may appeal to some niches, the masses don't have time to ponder the ramblings of spoiled Frenchlings with their petty delusions of grandeur and their whiny appeals to artistic value. Say what you want about the masses, sometimes they show a sharper eye for critical evaluation than you'd immediately give them credit for. The art assaults the senses, and the story can be found in thousands of crappy teenage journals. I'd say it's on level with bad fan-fiction of Nietzsche's "Thus Spake Zarathustra" but even that would probably contain more literary value.
Let's go bowling.
May 21, 2013 3:09 PM

Dec 2012
Danpmss said:
Monde11 said:

That's not true!
Imagine if everybody decides to don't watch Lain or Cowboy Bebop just because it looks old. It would be an disaster probably.
Same thing happened after that yaoi scene on Shinsekai yori (a LOT of people dropped it), and still, it was almost perfect, and received a well rounded 8.42
I understand your point and I'm probably going to get a lot of flak for this, but I think it's fine to judge a show by it's looks in a visual medium, even if the story is good I wouldn't want to force myself to watch something that isn't visually appealing to me.
May 21, 2013 3:18 PM
Mar 2011
this anime was around 5 in the score from epi 1. Mainly because people were butthurt by the animation. simple as that.
"....i am the villain in this story"
May 21, 2013 5:25 PM
Sep 2011
I'm imagining mostly because of the art. I guess you could criticise the main character as being pretty spineless because a male character??? is not strong and stereotypically masculine??? and is manipulated by a woman??? that's defying the ~natural order~ and is not possible!!!!!!! (i see people say things like this an awful lot when male leads aren't portrayed as being traditionally ~manry~ and it's pretty annoying)
And the pacing is pretty slow, so I guess people don't want to waste their time watching something they find dull? Which is a fair point.

But even so, I do find it quite sad that something like Aku no Hana, which is interesting and inventive if nothing else, has a lower score than some of the truly insipid, obnoxious, cliche and over-done harem animes out there...
May 22, 2013 2:26 AM

Jan 2012
Monde11 said:
I understand your point and I'm probably going to get a lot of flak for this, but I think it's fine to judge a show by it's looks in a visual medium, even if the story is good I wouldn't want to force myself to watch something that isn't visually appealing to me.

I agree with you completely but what I don't agree with is people bashing this because of it's visuals. On the contrary it provides visuals no other anime can and I really feel sorry for the people who didn't stick with it to see the end of episode 7. It really makes the rotoscope make sense, a normal anime could have never pulled off that scene with so much impact and eye candy, it was sublime and the visuals are a step ahead of your standard bug eye'd anime, each to their own though.
May 22, 2013 4:05 AM

Sep 2012
ReasonDesu said:

I agree with you completely but what I don't agree with is people bashing this because of it's visuals. On the contrary it provides visuals no other anime can and I really feel sorry for the people who didn't stick with it to see the end of episode 7. It really makes the rotoscope make sense, a normal anime could have never pulled off that scene with so much impact and eye candy, it was sublime and the visuals are a step ahead of your standard bug eye'd anime, each to their own though.

That was at the end of episode 7 and most people didn't go that far. And that's not a problem, the discussion threads are better now that people dropped this anime en masse.
May 22, 2013 4:59 AM

Jul 2011
SetsukoHara said:
ReasonDesu said:

That was at the end of episode 7 and most people didn't go that far. And that's not a problem, the discussion threads are better now that people dropped this anime en masse.

Yes, absolutely. There is always a bright side.
May 22, 2013 5:06 AM

Jan 2012
SetsukoHara said:
ReasonDesu said:

Hehe indeed, I don't think I could have dealt with it here if that carried on. Still it's a shame though especially seeing how many minds it did manage to change in the episode discussion thread.
May 22, 2013 8:19 AM

Sep 2009
It's odd. I love the rotoscoping. Find it very unique and refreshing. Some people (understandably) do not like seeing anime with realistic looking characters. They look more human and not the standard designs you see in every other show.
May 22, 2013 9:21 AM

Apr 2012
Opinions, that's why. As it always was and always will be.
And yet there are people who offend other people calling them logically close minded because of differing opinions. I love these kind of presumptuous threads. <3
However.

As it was with Shin Sekai Yori after the mass-dropping after Episode 8 the rating got constantly better even though by far not in the same scale. So these anime are not really comparable.
But look for yourself:

Even the Plan To Watch is rising. This anime is constantly going up little by little despite it's low starting point/rank.
Though this anime has a Drop/Watching ratio of almost 1/5.
May 22, 2013 11:46 AM

Jul 2012
nantuko said:
Opinions, that's why. As it always was and always will be.
And yet there are people who offend other people calling them logically close minded because of differing opinions. I love these kind of presumptuous threads. <3
However.

As it was with Shin Sekai Yori after the mass-dropping after Episode 8 the rating got constantly better even though by far not in the same scale. So these anime are not really comparable.
But look for yourself:

Even the Plan To Watch is rising. This anime is constantly going up little by little despite it's low starting point/rank.
Though this anime has a Drop/Watching ratio of almost 1/5.

Wow, bro!
where did you found this graphic? i wanna see some of other animes i liked :D
Besides, my comparison was like... just for the similarities, shinsekai was way more amazing than a lot of animes i saw, even more than aku no hana (Shingeki maybe, i don't know, i'll wait till the end of the anime/manga to compare those two)
Just like you said, it's just my opinion, probably 85% of the readers will disagree certainly xD
DanpmssMay 22, 2013 11:53 AM
May 22, 2013 3:33 PM

Apr 2012
Danpmss said:
Wow, bro!
Besides, my comparison was like... just for the similarities, shinsekai was way more amazing than a lot of animes i saw, even more than aku no hana (Shingeki maybe, i don't know, i'll wait till the end of the anime/manga to compare those two)
Just like you said, it's just my opinion, probably 85% of the readers will disagree certainly xD

I'm doing the charts myself, or rather I let my server do them. To see more just click the picture.
Although the site is only up since season Fall 2012 and has only Anime since then in its database, Plan To Watch/Dropped among 3 other options were added just recently in March, too.
Regarding that comparison, I get what you mean, the circumstances are certainly similar, it's just not that comparable considering the numbers. That's all I meant and wasn't directed to you in particular. ;)
May 23, 2013 5:07 AM

Dec 2007
It will be interesting to observe how the incredibly low score of this show evolves. I know that for a score to be counted, 20% of a show must be watched, but I do not know how they register scores for currently airing shows. Seems like it wouldn't be worth the effort to adjust the 20% threshold based on the number of episodes which have actually aired, but on the other hand, I know that scores are calculated even when only 1 or 2 episodes have aired (less than 20% of the whole show).

The huge contingent that gave this show a 1/10 likely won't be counted once the series has concluded as they dropped the series very quickly. Already the show's score has risen from the mid-5-range into the low-6-range. Who knows, once the series has ended, it may work itself back into the 7-8 range where 95% of MAL's scores are found.
May 23, 2013 6:27 AM

Jul 2012
nantuko said:
Danpmss said:
Wow, bro!

I'm doing the charts myself, or rather I let my server do them. To see more just click the picture.
Although the site is only up since season Fall 2012 and has only Anime since then in its database, Plan To Watch/Dropped among 3 other options were added just recently in March, too.
Regarding that comparison, I get what you mean, the circumstances are certainly similar, it's just not that comparable considering the numbers. That's all I meant and wasn't directed to you in particular. ;)

Thanks for the good work on the charts :D
May 23, 2013 7:11 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
The series is awesome. Low Score = No Moe. Just ignore the score and enjoy!
May 24, 2013 2:52 AM

May 2012
KingYoshi said:
The series is awesome. Low Score = No Moe. Just ignore the score and enjoy!

This, but intelligent, well educated and wise fans NEVER EVER trust any ratings and/or reviews but their own judgement, let alone watch/or dont something based or MAL ratings?
May 24, 2013 4:26 AM

Jun 2012
It's their choice and they're the ones missing out.
Shoot first, think never.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

324 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

118 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.