Forum Settings
Forums

Concerning the legality of streaming and downloading anime?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 16, 2013 6:18 AM

Feb 2013
Kuraaiiya said:
DEMOLITION_D said:
Kuraaiiya said:
I didn't know you could smell what does not exist.
However, your stupidity is obvious.
LAWS SAY ITS BAD SO IT IS! - is what you're agreeing with

No. You are a child stuck on "anti-government" mode when this isn't a matter of government so much as it is intellectual property. In many cases (not all, of course), these works are a creator's legacy, pride, and joy. If they are to continue making these wonderful stories, they'll need support. Thus, the consumer needs to buy their product.

This is the simplest of concepts. If you want to live in a world where all anime should be free, then my friend, you're going to be living in a world with very little anime. No one would fund the process because there's no profit involved. Hence my comment about your ignorance.

And you're a pseudo-intelligent sheep who thinks everyone who is 'anti-government' is a stupid child.
Copyright being wrong is a fact, it's not even debatable.

If I don't watch an anime because I don't want to pay for it and there is no illegal way, the author still gets nothing. If I watch an anime illegally but find it good and become a fan, I might buy it if possible. Even if I didn't, what does the author lose? Nothing. He/She already owns the original copy, it's not 'stealing'

Resorting to logical fallacies from ignorance isn't going to change it.

I'll copy some essay for you and then you can stfu

Yeah, right. Unfortunately, the world isn't all about flowers. Although patent and copyrights are different, they still have something in common, the "property".

Say, after years of research and investment, thorough study of different models and ideas, I finally manage to create a controlled environment nuclear fusion. That's great, a new revolutionary method to have "clean" energy, right?

Now, you come to me. We talk to each other, I tell you everything and even provide "a copy" of all the documentations I produced. You aren't stealing, because you are getting a copy, right? I trusted you as much but, you, all excited and eager to be known to the world, go and take ownership of MY IDEAS and the results of many years of investment, what happens then?

Oh, yeah, what happens is that YOU will be getting all the reward whilst I will be no one.

Intellectual property is an important step forward to avoid "intellectual theft". Thus, the definition of "theft" itself should be amended accordingly.

However, it is true that today the patent system itself is flawed, just a the copyright system is. There are changes to be made, but the fundamental idea behind these two are needed and beneficial.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jun 24, 2015 2:47 AM
Jun 2015
can u guys check if kiss anime is illegal? cause ShoPro didnt include it in its website purge
Jun 24, 2015 2:53 AM
Jul 2018
>2013
>necro

Downloading Anime is illegal. ;)
Jun 24, 2015 2:56 AM

Jun 2014
_Charl said:
>2013
>necro

Downloading Anime is illegal. ;)

A statement that everyone needs to understand. We are committing atrocious crimes.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 24, 2015 2:59 AM

Mar 2015
FireEmblemIke24 said:
A statement that everyone needs to understand. We are committing atrocious crimes.
well, if everyone does, no one is. #gofulljaden.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 30, 2015 2:40 AM

Aug 2013
Well I would quite happily pay for certain anime I believe are worth paying for, but I've heard they have bad subs and looking at the price I can't justify it when I can get 1080p every single episode free to stream/download. I'd quite happily pay for a well constructed site like kissanime with all the anime available in HD and download. Maybe up to £20 a month ($30). But at the moment the free content is better than the one you can pay for so why should I pay? More to the point, downloading/streaming anime/manga for free isn't really the same thing as "stealing". When you steal something you physically take that item away so that another person can't use it. But what's really happening is you can create an endless amount of copies of anime and manga for free by distributing it online. Also, without this "illegal" practice, many Westerners would not even know about anime so probably even less people would buy anime and manga than already do now. So I don't think it really hurts the industry as much as you'd think. That's just my take on it. I could be wrong who knows.
Aug 30, 2015 2:46 AM
Jul 2018
Alright. It's illegal and I'm a bad guy. .....So what?

nice necro.
Aug 30, 2015 4:35 AM
Jul 2018
I live in Hungary and you can hardly buy or watch animes on TV here. On TV you can watch Dragon Ball Z and Yu-Gi-Oh. And you can buy such mainstream animes very expensive like Naruto, Bleach, or Inuyasha and some Miyazaki movies. So if you want to watch something good, you can buy it online oversea (they are very expensive), or you can download or watch it online.

Since such sites like Crunchyroll aren't available in my country, we have Indavideo (a hungarian site, similar to Youtube), or some hungarian streaming sites and the english sites like Kissanime or Gogo anime.

With mangas, it's the same here.
Aug 30, 2015 12:13 PM
Sep 2010
Androsan said:
I live in Hungary

Since such sites like Crunchyroll aren't available in my country

Nice to know you are retarded.

Androsan said:
With mangas, it's the same here.

Nope.
Aug 30, 2015 12:20 PM

Aug 2014
Your breaking the law either way. It costs a lot of money to make anime and people work really fucking hard to make it. The reason why there are so many otaku pandering shows is because they are the people who buy the blu rays and support the creators. I am not condoning the Japanese business model in regards to really expensive prices, but people have to understand that anime costs money. What people you do is buy the odd bit of official merch, maybe localised blu rays ect. I personally pirate all the time but I also buy physical copies and I am steadily building a collection. Also if you have no disposable income anyway then it doesn't make a difference but I still think that if you are into anime if you start earning decent amounts, you should part with some of your cash to support the people who worked really fucking hard to make your fav shows.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Aug 30, 2015 12:26 PM

Jul 2014
No shit kiss is illegal, and OP is secretly the NSA polling our IP's and ready to serve DCMA's like hotcakes.
Aug 31, 2015 5:35 PM

Jun 2007
rasenshiruken973 said:
Well I would quite happily pay for certain anime I believe are worth paying for, but I've heard they have bad subs. I'd quite happily pay for a well constructed site like ****anime with all the anime available in HD and download. Maybe up to £20 a month ($30).

So you're basing your decisions on pure hearsay about official subtitle quality? Great, I guess the misinformation campaign by the anti-industry faction is working. Having a legal streaming site with "all the anime" would require a lot more money for licensing fees, and those costs would be duly passed to consumers. I don't know what monthly cost that might be, but even your proposal is about 4 times the CR prices that people already refuse to pay. (And not every anime even exists in HD in the first place; streaming encoder-upscaled versions would be a waste of their bandwidth and viewers'.) Not to mention, allowing anything to be downloaded devalues the content even more, since aggressive downloaders could push the per-episode price to almost nothing. Or even less than nothing, if bandwidth costs outstrip the (subscription fee) / (number of eps DLed) amount. Some have pushed for a paid-download service as opposed to streaming, but without indicating a willingness to pay per-episode prices that would bring in revenue comparable to disc margins.

Beyond that, I've never understood the whole, "CR doesn't have absolutely everything, therefore I refuse to watch anything they DO have" mentality.

More to the point, downloading/streaming anime/manga for free isn't really the same thing as "stealing". When you steal something you physically take that item away so that another person can't use it. But what's really happening is you can create an endless amount of copies of anime and manga for free by distributing it online. Also, without this "illegal" practice, many Westerners would not even know about anime so probably even less people would buy anime and manga than already do now. So I don't think it really hurts the industry as much as you'd think.
It could be called theft of services, as you're being entertained by their work without them seeing any compensation. And why the scare quotes on "illegal"? International law is pretty clear on the matter. But I assure you, people in the West did know about anime before BitTorrent and illegal streaming became prevalent. Usually via the same localized TV dubs that pirates fueled by unwarranted licensee resentment love to hate on.

Plus, who's to say that these "many Westerners" exposed via piracy won't come to the same conclusions you did? Namely, these:

Looking at the price I can't justify it when I can get 1080p every single episode free to stream/download. But at the moment the free content is better than the one you can pay for so why should I pay?
Setting aside my skepticism that every episode of every series ever is actually available in genuine 1080p, this is just "Do as I say, not as I do" philosophy. Statements like "there is no logical reason to pay for anime if you can pirate it for free" and "piracy is good because it encourages other people to buy anime" are mutually exclusive. It's like nobody ever says: "the best sign of a good worldview is one that requires as few people as possible to adopt it."

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» mal/Confessions

NoelleIsSleepy - 2 hours ago

14 by Kenzolo-folk »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list? ( 1 2 3 )

Cammell - May 8

110 by ProGoddess »»
7 minutes ago

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - Yesterday

67 by Abomination_suah »»
16 minutes ago

» Do you care about gambling anime?

Cammell - May 8

26 by sofiekujo33 »»
18 minutes ago

» Disney Japan Executive Promises to Censor Anime ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - May 7

86 by Neterosan »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.