Forums
Accel World (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 3, 2013 3:22 AM

Sep 2009
tsudecimo said:
Honestly you are the one that isn't making any sense .The OP stated clearly multiple times that he is point is death as a result of losing a game is far worse than losing your memory of a game and the relationships built on it .

But you keep going on and on about how some characters death doesn't mean much compared to the relationships built in AW .

The OP is not using SAO because he thinks it is better he is not comparing them in characters and what not he simply said SAO because it is a virtual reality game like AW but unlike AW the real world consequences of losing in it is Death.

He is talking about human life against someone memory why do keep sticking to SAO and how death are not important because they don't affect the MC is beyond me.

I don't think either if you understands how an argument works. An argument basis on a faulty premise is invalid. End of story. I did nothing more then point out that the premise, "SALO prompts a more fitting story of emotional attachment", cannot reach any logical conclusion to the OP's thread, "Why in the hell is everyone so god dam emotional". The OP kept on insisting that his example held merit which I constantly tried to show him otherwise.

Inherently the core center of the topic is correct, but his argument as to why it's correct is invalid; thus his entire point must be held into reconsideration. He flipped a blatantly agreeable topic so far that the core idea itself has been lost in a less important stance of arrogance. Instead of revising his argument and simply avoiding this confusing dance around the fire, he stuck to his guns and I shot him down.

If it looked like I was harping on SALO then I'll gladly take half responsibility, after all even already conceding to his core topic OP still kept pushing his invalid argument into the spotlight.

Gripsocks said:
I really can't argue with you anymore you literally don't listen to a thing I've said. It's turned into a philosophical debate because of the fact you thought death in the real world was not as bad as losing in-game relationships. Despite this you still cling to me saying having death is supposed to make SAO better but I'm not even fking comparing the 2 series it's just the comparison of what affect these games had on the real world and why one is more serious that another.

Seeing as this is the only post where he doesn't try and cherry pick bad SALO examples just only proves my point.
Mar 3, 2013 5:14 AM
Dec 2012
This was never about SAO what do you not understand?
Mar 3, 2013 6:59 PM

Sep 2009
Gripsocks said:

Even now you don't seem to grasp what I've been trying to say. I've put it as simply and straight forward as I could yet you still don't seem to comprehend.

This is your OP.

These are your attempts to prove it.

This is my counter.

What is actually difficult here? Incorrect basis equates to an invalidity. You choose a simple topic that would of worked in just about any other situation and managed to find the one scenario where it fails. Now instead of just correcting that you persist that I overlook your mistake and somehow create a logical pathway on my own which leads to your core topic.

Honestly. If you wanted everyone here to suddenly arrive at the same conclusion upon reading your OP then why even both creating a thread where the main objective is for people come and discuss in depth the OP? You wanna rant then you take it somewhere private, not stake a mast a invalid argument and disagree when people try to correct you.
Mar 3, 2013 7:18 PM

Oct 2011
They're highschool kids, yo.
Mar 4, 2013 1:02 AM
Dec 2012
LordLagann said:
Gripsocks said:

Even now you don't seem to grasp what I've been trying to say. I've put it as simply and straight forward as I could yet you still don't seem to comprehend.

This is your OP.

These are your attempts to prove it.

This is my counter.

What is actually difficult here? Incorrect basis equates to an invalidity. You choose a simple topic that would of worked in just about any other situation and managed to find the one scenario where it fails. Now instead of just correcting that you persist that I overlook your mistake and somehow create a logical pathway on my own which leads to your core topic.

Honestly. If you wanted everyone here to suddenly arrive at the same conclusion upon reading your OP then why even both creating a thread where the main objective is for people come and discuss in depth the OP? You wanna rant then you take it somewhere private, not stake a mast a invalid argument and disagree when people try to correct you.

Sigh. There was no argument until you started one.

You continue to just completely and utterly disregard everything I say. You still to now have no comprehension of my point. IT WAS NEVER IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM ABOUT SAO LOL. At it's core it was the very simple and absolute inarguable fact that life is more important than relationships you make in a video game. It does not even matter if those relationships may or may not be everything you have - which is not even the case here - but even if they are all you have it's still not worth more than a human life.

You're just putting words into my mouth saying "SAO prompts a more fitting story of emotional attachment" was my premise. I don't know why you are so stubborn lmfao this was never in any way shape or form about SAO. SAO was simply used as an example because it involved a more serious real world ramification.
Mar 4, 2013 3:34 AM

Sep 2009
Gripsocks said:
Sigh. There was no argument until you started one.

You continue to just completely and utterly disregard everything I say. You still to now have no comprehension of my point. IT WAS NEVER IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM ABOUT SAO LOL. At it's core it was the very simple and absolute inarguable fact that life is more important than relationships you make in a video game. It does not even matter if those relationships may or may not be everything you have - which is not even the case here - but even if they are all you have it's still not worth more than a human life.

You're just putting words into my mouth saying "SAO prompts a more fitting story of emotional attachment" was my premise. I don't know why you are so stubborn lmfao this was never in any way shape or form about SAO. SAO was simply used as an example because it involved a more serious real world ramification.

Oh really? "Why in the hell is everyone so god dam emotional" and comparisons to SALO aren't topics and examples? Really? Seriously, you actually this dense in real life? You do know how to read and analyze right? I was hoping my last post would explain it clearly and neatly but I'm starting to lean more and more physically drilling this into your skull.

I read your post, mark it, and throw it away. Why? Because that's MY argument. You don't seem to grasp that at this point no one gives a flying butt waffle about your core topic. I countered your argument and example which the core topic based itself upon thus making the idea itself moot. Yet you seem adamant on reiterating that topic over and over again, still not admitting that you provided a false premise, and persist on bringing up bad SALO examples.

Gripsocks said:

Seriously, do you even read what you right? Or perhaps if I put " because real world ramifications" at the end of "SAO prompts a more fitting story of emotional attachment" then it make a difference, as if the two belonged in different context. What good is your example if it doesn't work. Did you care when Kuradeel died? Did your heart drop when Caynz was murdered? Did you even feel a thing when those idiots from "The Army" got butcher? No. I ask you now, since it's "absolute inarguable fact that life is more important than relationships you make in a video game", what good is your example if it only proves that the relationship which precedes a death is what gives death its meaning and attachment. HUH?!

Do you see it now?! You're trying to argue though a topic with and invalid example. It doesn't matter how many times you like to just fast forward to the core topic, if there is no example to base yourself on then you're just making board statements luring people into a bias philosophical fist fight. Have a heart and just come out clean with your mistakes instead of trolling on.
Mar 4, 2013 3:54 AM
Dec 2012
LordLagann said:

Seriously, do you even read what you right?

Oh god the hilarious irony.

LordLagann said:
Did you care when Kuradeel died? Did your heart drop when Caynz was murdered? Did you even feel a thing when those idiots from "The Army" got butcher? No.

It does not matter whether I care about someones death or not a human life is a human life. I don't support the death penalty that doesn't mean I care about those individual murders or rapists. If there is a mass shooting somewhere in a distant country just because you don't care about those who died or know much about the incident that doesn't make it not important. After the Sandyhook shootings it didn't affect me emotionally just like it didn't most people who weren't associated with it, that doesn't make it unimportant. Human lives were lost.

That does not mean we don't care. We just don't have the relationships or emotional investment in the individual people who died to care for them specifically. We care about the horrific event that took place and what the means.

It does not matter if a death means nothing to me because it is still a death. A death will affect many other people.

You are basically saying that you would rather the people close to you have to die instead of forgetting the things they did with you in a certain event/experience.

The Bottom Line: I've realize just how selfish you are. That the experiences or memories other people have of YOU is more important than their own lives. It's a disconnection with reality that like I've said plenty of times is dangerous. You are showing signs of behavior of someone who would assault or murder their ex because the relationship ended.
Mar 4, 2013 10:49 AM

Oct 2007
douchebag attention-whore trolls with no emotions

/endstory
/closethread

life is a dream
~death is reality
Mar 4, 2013 11:10 AM
Dec 2012
xXnagashiXx said:
douchebag attention-whore trolls with no emotions

/endstory
/closethread

care to elaborate?
Mar 4, 2013 2:35 PM

Sep 2009
Gripsocks said:
It does not matter whether I care about someones death or not a human life is a human life. I don't support the death penalty that doesn't mean I care about those individual murders or rapists. If there is a mass shooting somewhere in a distant country just because you don't care about those who died or know much about the incident that doesn't make it not important. After the Sandyhook shootings it didn't affect me emotionally just like it didn't most people who weren't associated with it, that doesn't make it unimportant. Human lives were lost.

That does not mean we don't care. We just don't have the relationships or emotional investment in the individual people who died to care for them specifically. We care about the horrific event that took place and what the means.

It does not matter if a death means nothing to me because it is still a death. A death will affect many other people.

You are basically saying that you would rather the people close to you have to die instead of forgetting the things they did with you in a certain event/experience.

The Bottom Line: I've realize just how selfish you are. That the experiences or memories other people have of YOU is more important than their own lives. It's a disconnection with reality that like I've said plenty of times is dangerous. You are showing signs of behavior of someone who would assault or murder their ex because the relationship ended.

There you go on again, cherry picking and ranting on about a topic that is long past relevant. I mean are you naturally this arrogant or did you take classes? Stop trying to fast forward your mistake and buckle down with whatever pride you have left. You have no basis for your OP and even less with your recent reiteration.

You claim AW is preposterous because there is nothing powerful enough for them to be so emotionally committed such as death. Yet you come around and say, "We just don't have the relationships or emotional investment in the individual people who died to care for them specifically.", seriously? What is worse if that you automatically claim a random death is worse then a close knit tragedy. This is where I go shut the hell up. You don't even know what your arguing for anymore.

Get a grip. Where has anyone in this thread ever said human life is not important. If human life is valued through relationships and attachments that in itself means not every life is valued equally by the individual. Thus as the individual why the hell would you value random death over a close by loved one?

You're delusional. Simply delusional. Too arrogant to admit it.
Mar 4, 2013 2:58 PM

Aug 2012
You also lose the ability to "pause time", you really can't think of how useful that could be?

Also if they lost their memories they would forget why they even love each other...
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Mar 4, 2013 3:30 PM
Dec 2012
LordLagann said:
Thus as the individual why the hell would you value random death over a close by loved one?

if you think your friendship with a person is more important than another human's life whether you know them or not is truly selfish. You apparently cannot process the simple fact that it does not matter what you would prefer. If I had a choice between keeping a friendship or saving a life it does not matter if I don't know or care about that person because my friendship with someone is not worth letting someone die. We are not talking about personal feelings individually but in general if expressed based on value a friendship is not on the same level as a life.

You act like I"m back pedaling as if I think I've lost this argument lmfao. I just have to repeat everything over and over again in a million different ways because you either can't comprehend anything I'm saying or you truly are selfish and believe friendships are more important than someone else's life despite whether or not you care about that persons life.

It is the very simple equation. That Life > A Friendship. (let alone a friendship in a video game lol)

Once someone is dead, they are dead. You can always find more friends or another girlfriend even though he wouldn't even lose those things because he had them before BrainBurst.

Ghostony said:
You also lose the ability to "pause time", you really can't think of how useful that could be?

Also if they lost their memories they would forget why they even love each other...

They cannot pause time they simply have the ability to play the video game for extended periods of time without time moving forward in the real world. You cannot do anything else in this extended time except for play the video game and you cannot actually affect the real world while the time is stopped unless your the top level and use all of your points. It's useful for playing the video but not anything in the real world unless you use it as a one time deal at lvl 9.

And no they would not not love each other. You simply forget your memories inside the game. It's not like you go into hardcore anesthesia and forget everything. He forget people of whom you met in Street Fighter which is really what it is. Also if your life revolves around one girl and one relationship and you cannot live without it you need a serious reality check lol.
Mar 4, 2013 8:36 PM

Sep 2009
Gripsocks said:
if you think your friendship with a person is more important than another human's life whether you know them or not is truly selfish. You apparently cannot process the simple fact that it does not matter what you would prefer. If I had a choice between keeping a friendship or saving a life it does not matter if I don't know or care about that person because my friendship with someone is not worth letting someone die. We are not talking about personal feelings individually but in general if expressed based on value a friendship is not on the same level as a life.

You act like I"m back pedaling as if I think I've lost this argument lmfao. I just have to repeat everything over and over again in a million different ways because you either can't comprehend anything I'm saying or you truly are selfish and believe friendships are more important than someone else's life despite whether or not you care about that persons life.

It is the very simple equation. That Life > A Friendship. (let alone a friendship in a video game lol)

Once someone is dead, they are dead. You can always find more friends or another girlfriend even though he wouldn't even lose those things because he had them before BrainBurst.

Oh come on now, just more cherry picking for you. Good job on addressing one line of a post as if the rest of it didn't happen. You're just digging yourself deeper and deeper hoping you'll eventually find something concrete to support your fall. How about you drop this "life is inherently sacred" subjective trap and say something real, like "I made a broken OP and too big headed to say otherwise".

All you've done is beat the bush for the past 3 pages and yet to show me anything concrete. I've yet to see any plausible analysis, one legitimate follow up, or even a coherent example. My god, all you done is preach beyond belief. Start off by preaching, preach when people call your bluff, preach harder when you're wrong. Is that all your gonna do? You might as well just stop, stop it all. Save everyone who came, everyone who is here, and anyone who might be interested about this discussion from your one track mind and trickery.
Mar 4, 2013 11:10 PM

Dec 2012
I really suggest to reform the question in a better way if you want to have any decent dissucsion because im honestly lost on what everyone is trying to say?
Mar 5, 2013 1:36 AM
Dec 2012
This guy is trying to prove why AW is better than SAO in some convoluted manner. He's just talking to himself in that sense so no was ever talking about that. He's in love with this "cherry picking" thing that makes literally no sense. There's not much point anymore.

It is the very simple equation. That Life > A Friendship.

Once someone is dead, they are dead. You can always find more friends or another girlfriend.

/thread
Mar 5, 2013 2:24 AM
Dec 2010
Gripsocks said:
This guy is trying to prove why AW is better than SAO in some convoluted manner. He's just talking to himself in that sense so no was ever talking about that. He's in love with this "cherry picking" thing that makes literally no sense. There's not much point anymore.

Once someone is dead, they are dead. You can always find more friends or another girlfriend.

/thread

I thought this had nothing to do with SAO ? you argued about it a few pages back.
Here is a a good question, a friend gets hit by a car and someone you don't know dies on other side of the world which is more important to you?

Gripsocks said:

They cannot pause time they simply have the ability to play the video game for extended periods of time without time moving forward in the real world. You cannot do anything else in this extended time except for play the video game and you cannot actually affect the real world while the time is stopped unless your the top level and use all of your points. It's useful for playing the video but not anything in the real world unless you use it as a one time deal at lvl 9.

1 second in real world = 16 minutes in accel world. They also have commands that enable them to effect the real world, yes Physical full burst does take all your points at level 9. There is the other one physical burst which uses 5 pts and allows you to think faster for 30 seconds. 30 seconds may not seem alot of time, but its plenty of time to make a judgment or review facts. Even the Burst link mode allows you to evaluate your environment. The real world ramifications are why most burst linkers fight to keep that power!.
Mar 5, 2013 3:32 AM
Dec 2012
ktegate said:
Gripsocks said:

/thread

I thought this had nothing to do with SAO ? you argued about it a few pages back.
Here is a a good question, a friend gets hit by a car and someone you don't know dies on other side of the world which is more important to you?

Gripsocks said:

1 second in real world = 16 minutes in accel world. They also have commands that enable them to effect the real world, yes Physical full burst does take all your points at level 9. There is the other one physical burst which uses 5 pts and allows you to think faster for 30 seconds. 30 seconds may not seem alot of time, but its plenty of time to make a judgment or review facts. Even the Burst link mode allows you to evaluate your environment. The real world ramifications are why most burst linkers fight to keep that power!.

Please just go back and read the conversation we went over this. We are speaking in general which was worse not which you would prefer. And it was between a Friendship and Life. It's not about what important to you because it's had to go beyond that because this guy thinks in general Friendships have more value than lives.

Yes it has a small affect on the world I guess if they don't want to lose the ability to cheat at things like school and sports.
Mar 5, 2013 6:31 AM
Dec 2010
you have the ability to save lives as well as KYH did for haru almost losing her own life in the process.
Mar 5, 2013 6:48 AM

Aug 2012
I didn't want to mention this but.. what is wrong with them showing emotion?

Did you even put into account of their personalities?

Or the fact that people IRL throw even bigger tantrums from losing a game on xbox live

Blackmailing and bullying are also pretty common in places like JR.High..

I don't really see anything unrealistic about it in regards of personality; except that the outter emotions in anime are usually concealed emotions irl...

ugh..havn't watched this series in like a whole year or something..can't remember it good enough to give a good argument...*flees*

:rolleyes:
GhostonyMar 5, 2013 6:52 AM
Mar 5, 2013 9:23 AM
Dec 2012
ktegate said:
you have the ability to save lives as well as KYH did for haru almost losing her own life in the process.

It's a one time deal thing and thats if and only if you can get to the highest level. Also Haru doesn't even care about that/isn't trying to get that.

Ghostony said:
I didn't want to mention this but.. what is wrong with them showing emotion?

Did you even put into account of their personalities?

Or the fact that people IRL throw even bigger tantrums from losing a game on xbox live

Blackmailing and bullying are also pretty common in places like JR.High..

Please read thread before posting. Here are some quick responses.

1) Nothing wrong with showing emotion it's when it's not justified ex. crying over streetfighter when you're 15.

2) Being weak/bullied doesn't mean crying over video game that's a mental problem. People might rage in a video game IRL but they don't start crying over one game.

3) Not sure what school you went to but framing someone for sexual harassment and production of child pornography and then blackmailing them is not common place where I went.
Mar 5, 2013 10:50 AM
Dec 2010
tbh its not actually stated its a one time deal what is mentioned is

a) u have to be level 9 to use it
b) you loose 99& of your points when using it

What is not mentioned is how many points are actually required and also you don't seem to go down a level from using it.

Ghostony said:

Please read thread before posting. Here are some quick responses.

1) Nothing wrong with showing emotion it's when it's not justified ex. crying over streetfighter when you're 15.

2) Being weak/bullied doesn't mean crying over video game that's a mental problem. People might rage in a video game IRL but they don't start crying over one game.

3) Not sure what school you went to but framing someone for sexual harassment and production of child pornography and then blackmailing them is not common place where I went.

1) street fighter crying over it? if u mean haru .. check OVA 2 from accel EX and you will know why, its briefly covered. This should provided you with more back ground information like we said earlier they need more character development on haru.

2) accel world is not just another "video game" as already pointed out it has certain ability's like slowing time and even manipulating situations, like episode 1 where haru was getting bullied or the car was racing toward haru and kyh(just burst link).

3)Nether is getting brain chips, but thats what the anime gave us it's in the future.Being based in the future where no adults are part of accel world and no one would believe them. Nomi wants a slave someone he can completely manipulate and toy with his not gonna be able to do it with "i made it look like you cheated on this test" it needed to have that desperate feeling of being trapped.

I use adults because thats the term that was translated.
Mar 5, 2013 11:31 AM
Dec 2012
We've been over this. The time stopping ability ONLY applies to PLAYING the game you literally cant do anything else besides play the video game longer. Again we also went off the special ability and not only that you can very very very rarely can you use it but that's not even what Haru wants.

Also the blackmailing is unrealistic because it's completely contingent on Haru thinking that continuing to play Brain Burst is more important than possibly going to jail for several several years.
Mar 5, 2013 11:33 AM

Mar 2012
Stop knit-picking. Do you want everyone to have a "I don't give a fuck" mentality?
Mar 5, 2013 11:52 AM
Dec 2012
Smooched said:
Stop knit-picking. Do you want everyone to have a "I don't give a fuck" mentality?

yeah... I'm pretty sure nit-picking means you care not that you don't. Also it's not nit-picking when the entire series revolves around it.
Mar 5, 2013 2:41 PM

Sep 2009
Enough everyone. He is clearly doesn't understand how to debate an issue or how words work. People like him only are here to preach bias attitudes and narrow minded perspectives. The OP was a trap, the poster is stuck in his delusions of grandeur, and this entire forum is his sad attempt to get everyone in the same fantasy induced coma he is in.

You just can't talk to people that only listen to what they want to hear. He'll just single out a handful of lines that give him the least difficulty and sidestep consistently until he thinks he has fooled you. Trust me, at this point it's painfully obvious hes wants us as defeated as he us. Leave this person to his own devices like I am and just forget this place even exist.
Mar 6, 2013 4:14 AM
Dec 2012
LordLagann said:
Enough everyone. He is clearly doesn't understand how to debate an issue or how words work. People like him only are here to preach bias attitudes and narrow minded perspectives. The OP was a trap, the poster is stuck in his delusions of grandeur, and this entire forum is his sad attempt to get everyone in the same fantasy induced coma he is in.

You just can't talk to people that only listen to what they want to hear. He'll just single out a handful of lines that give him the least difficulty and sidestep consistently until he thinks he has fooled you. Trust me, at this point it's painfully obvious hes wants us as defeated as he us. Leave this person to his own devices like I am and just forget this place even exist.

It's funny because you just described yourself. And the only reason it's spiraled into this philosophical debate is because you're a sociopath and think your friendships are more important than peoples lives lmfao.
Mar 6, 2013 10:07 AM

Jun 2011
Just going to throw this out there but if i had brain burst and i was going to lose it i would freaking cry as well. Do you even understand that brain burst is something close to being immortal. You can accelerate and live an extra 16 minutes and 40 seconds inside of a single second of your actual life a second becomes a 1000 times longer that is freaking amazing, your what 80 years of life would become who knows how long. It even showed that Yuniko (red king) was alot older mentally wise than what her age actually is, her mind has lived alot longer than her body has. I sure as hell would not give up a life that long.

Sure you can still die to illness an accident or something but even then brain burst may actually save you from an attack like Kuroyukihime did in the first novel to save Haru. So yes i think losing brain burst is a big deal i would give or do anything to get my hands on it to be honest.
Othinus
Touma
Pairing

http://hestia.dance/
Mar 6, 2013 10:31 AM

Dec 2012
Slicer22 said:
Just going to throw this out there but if i had brain burst and i was going to lose it i would freaking cry as well. Do you even understand that brain burst is something close to being immortal. You can accelerate and live an extra 16 minutes and 40 seconds inside of a single second of your actual life a second becomes a 1000 times longer that is freaking amazing, your what 80 years of life would become who knows how long. It even showed that Yuniko (red king) was alot older mentally wise than what her age actually is, her mind has lived alot longer than her body has. I sure as hell would not give up a life that long.

Sure you can still die to illness an accident or something but even then brain burst may actually save you from an attack like Kuroyukihime did in the first novel to save Haru. So yes i think losing brain burst is a big deal i would give or do anything to get my hands on it to be honest.

You live that long only in the game so i don't really see your point of being an immortal.
Lol yuniko still acts like a 13 year old kid .
Mar 9, 2013 1:51 PM

Mar 2013
I am very confused how you can say that the game has no effect on the real world. The effect on the real world is via the user. Ignoring the commands that allow one to accelerate their physical body you are completely ignoring knowledge.

An example schooling, exams coming up you could easily drop into the game and study for insane amount of time with little time in the real world passing. So lets do some maths, 1 sec real world = 16 min 40sec in game, so 30 mins RW = 20 days 20 hours GW. With that you could study for anything for 21 days 30 mins before said exam.

How is this not an impact on the real world? Expand this out of the schooling environment, think of the advancements you could create to any field in the real world from time spent in he game world working on them. You could design and create new technologies for science, farming, computing etc etc. There is clear real world impact here.
Mar 9, 2013 10:05 PM
Dec 2012
wiccy said:
I am very confused how you can say that the game has no effect on the real world. The effect on the real world is via the user. Ignoring the commands that allow one to accelerate their physical body you are completely ignoring knowledge.

An example schooling, exams coming up you could easily drop into the game and study for insane amount of time with little time in the real world passing. So lets do some maths, 1 sec real world = 16 min 40sec in game, so 30 mins RW = 20 days 20 hours GW. With that you could study for anything for 21 days 30 mins before said exam.

How is this not an impact on the real world? Expand this out of the schooling environment, think of the advancements you could create to any field in the real world from time spent in he game world working on them. You could design and create new technologies for science, farming, computing etc etc. There is clear real world impact here.

1) He doesn't care at all about that even though what your describing is impossible.

2) Study with what..? You can only play the game which means he would already need have memorized everything in the real world making studying more in your head obsolete.
Mar 9, 2013 11:21 PM

Mar 2013
Gripsocks said:

1) He doesn't care at all about that even though what your describing is impossible.

2) Study with what..? You can only play the game which means he would already need have memorized everything in the real world making studying more in your head obsolete.

What about what I said is impossible? We are taking about the AW world here are we not? if not this whole topic is moot.

Did we even watch the same show? You can clearly see that they use Brain Burst program to do more then just fight each other. You see them use it to have conversations, Nomi uses it to cheat on exams ( this could easily be seen as using Brain Burst to sit there and study the questions to answer in a lot more time then the exam has allotted).

How do you know there are no books in the Brain Burst world? Just because you have not seen any in the show so far does not mean they would not exist, there are hundreds of video games that have books stashed all over the place from game lore to real world related information. So it is no that hard to see that books would exists in that world.

You also only took my school study example. Studying does not only revolve around text books, It is about building knowledge, for example mathematicians do not sit around looking at text books to find the answer to an unsolved problem. They need to develop new ways of seeing the problem which comes from trial and error. With Brain Burst someone could solve a problem they might work on for 5 years in what 17 days RW time.
Mar 11, 2013 8:12 AM

Feb 2013
tsudecimo said:

You live that long only in the game so i don't really see your point of being an immortal.
Lol yuniko still acts like a 13 year old kid .

You do know Niko is like 10 right?

Also on the studying part he could just be cheating not studying.
Mar 11, 2013 1:44 PM

Mar 2013
PoisonedTea said:

Also on the studying part he could just be cheating not studying.

Using it to study is kinda of a cheat but still uses effort on the users part. using it to directly cheat though is cheating and not everyone thinks of taking this course. More so just cheating would not bring them any knowledge to do anything in the real world.
Mar 11, 2013 4:18 PM
Dec 2012
wiccy said:
Gripsocks said:

What about what I said is impossible? We are taking about the AW world here are we not? if not this whole topic is moot.

Did we even watch the same show? You can clearly see that they use Brain Burst program to do more then just fight each other. You see them use it to have conversations, Nomi uses it to cheat on exams ( this could easily be seen as using Brain Burst to sit there and study the questions to answer in a lot more time then the exam has allotted).

How do you know there are no books in the Brain Burst world? Just because you have not seen any in the show so far does not mean they would not exist, there are hundreds of video games that have books stashed all over the place from game lore to real world related information. So it is no that hard to see that books would exists in that world.

You also only took my school study example. Studying does not only revolve around text books, It is about building knowledge, for example mathematicians do not sit around looking at text books to find the answer to an unsolved problem. They need to develop new ways of seeing the problem which comes from trial and error. With Brain Burst someone could solve a problem they might work on for 5 years in what 17 days RW time.

Sigh. When you are stopping time in the game it is only so you can play the game more. There are not just random science textbooks in a fighting game.
Mar 11, 2013 8:41 PM

Mar 2013
Gripsocks said:

Sigh. When you are stopping time in the game it is only so you can play the game more. There are not just random science textbooks in a fighting game.

That responds just shows you are arguing for argument sake and not for any valid reason. Why don't you go back and rewatch the show and look at how many times they slow time and do not fight at all.

There are tons other uses that slowing time can help someone effect the real world. You should sit back and use your brain to think about this maybe instead of wasting time picking fights.
Mar 12, 2013 5:02 AM

Aug 2012
OP is a troll, he probably only watched the first 3 episodes at most and thinks he knows the whole show
Mar 12, 2013 5:39 PM
Dec 2012
Naw I just really can't argue with you idiots any longer. All your questions have been answered in the first 3 pages. And yes i watched the entire show, twice.
Mar 12, 2013 6:43 PM

Feb 2013
Gripsocks said:
Naw I just really can't argue with you idiots any longer. All your questions have been answered in the first 3 pages. And yes i watched the entire show, twice.

then stop complaining about if but if you want too complain about something
complain LVL up story can remember the episode 6 maybe that just messed up the world I mean really you spend 300 points to lvl up. That make the world so munch harsher then it should be possible.(Basicly this lvl up system would never work in this world/game)

Then the second story about the Kuroyukihime trips which isn't as bad but when Crimson Kingbolt is like "I poured my point into her to get her to 4 the shouldn't be possible with this lvl up system how did he get like 10000 points to give away.
There is a time mess up with Megumi but that's really not a big deal.
Mar 13, 2013 6:48 AM

Aug 2012
Gripsocks said:

You said they can't cheat with it, that pretty much sums up the fact that you havn't watched it..

You didn't know they could observe around the room when they are speeded up, you also seem unaware of the neutral field

You're getting mad at them being emotional, that's just their personalities. I already explained that emotional people are real (I personally know someone that rages and cries over losing a game in COD), but you're just in denial..

Oh if you think Kuroyukihime and Haruyuki Arita would still be in a relationship if they had no memories of accel world you are out of your mind lol, they'd forget why they even like each other
Mar 25, 2013 8:33 AM
Jul 2018
Gripsocks said:
Accel World just doesn't seem like it has any real value in the same way the games in SAO did because they had real world ramifications like murder and kidnapping etc... It really wouldn't be bad to just say f*ck you to Nomi and play a different game..

The problem with Nomi is that he could have made Haru be expelled from the school. That is a big deal.

Otherwise yes, I too thought that the characters made a big fuss over what seemed like just a game.
The problem is that Burst Linkers are practically addicted to the game since it represents for many of them a way to seek refuge from the bad things that happened to them in their life. Addiction can come also from the fact that with Brain Burst you can accelerate and have advantages in real life. Other probably lost themselves in the game.
The game is practically messing with their heads.
Mar 26, 2013 3:11 AM

Mar 2011
brain burst represents the theoretical untapped human potential for anyone who plays it. Since the persons avatar is created from their own fear, its also represents a way to overcome/face your own past and trauma. Any one at that age that can be uplifted so much and put in such a cathartic state would most certainly love the game that gave them that freedom.

The fact that they are part of a small elite (brain bursts requirements, and its underground nature), plus the fact that the game also have real life consequences, ways to expand the physical and mental limitations that you may face and over come them. The promise of that is strong enough, right?
Mar 26, 2013 7:35 PM
Apr 2010
SAO and AW are totally different settings but two show similarities as IF ONE LOSES, THEY LOSE ALL.

SAO is about losing their life, over a real life game setting. Losing life might be your worst scenario, but losing precious memories living is same as painful. This explains why people would kill themselves because their loved ones are not around anymore, because the presence of their loved ones are gone.

AW did a great job building up our pity on Haru, who is good-for-nothing kid who have problems in reality. Haru exactly portrays the reality, who there are actually kids around the world is encountering what he is going through. If I put myself in his shoes, I would cry over what you call a video game Brain Burst. Because there is where I gain my confidence and this is somewhere that physical appearance is not an issue, and also to face my fears and most importantly to enjoy the moment of acceleration.

Its a turning point for Haru, that is why he cries over it. Because of this game, he gains friendship with Kurohime and the others. Because of this game, he gains the ability to fight (in game world) where he has most confidence in his entire life (good in gaming). So losing this place would made him back to his own low-esteem self of being bullied and blackmailing is almost similar like losing the life he wanted. This is why he made me so emotional about it.
Mar 26, 2013 8:10 PM
Oct 2012
Brain Burst is an addictive privilege. Once you have it, you don't want to let it go, and you'll fight to keep it. And you have to remember that must people who are in Brain Burst had a bad childhood or a rough childhood, so this privilege makes them "special" in a way in that they have something to like in the world. The only part I didn't like about Accel World was that Haru was disproportionally fat, but that's about it.

SAO on the other hand I thought was rushed and not executed well
Mar 26, 2013 8:13 PM

Sep 2012
I haven't seen this show, so take my post with a grain of salt.

But what is so appealing about emotionally suppressed characters? Why shouldn't they be emotional? If everybody was all stone-faced and emotionless, it'd be boring.

How come emotion = bad all of a sudden? Human beings are fucking emotional creatures.
Mar 28, 2013 7:01 PM
Dec 2012
Red_Keys said:

But what is so appealing about emotionally suppressed characters? Why shouldn't they be emotional? If everybody was all stone-faced and emotionless, it'd be boring.

How come emotion = bad all of a sudden? Human beings are fucking emotional creatures.

It's not simply that he's emotional it's the trivial things he gets emotional about.
Apr 14, 2013 11:37 PM

Jun 2010
Gripsocks said:
Red_Keys said:

It's not simply that he's emotional it's the trivial things he gets emotional about.

So being bullied for like your entire school life (EIGHT FREAKING YEARS) is trivial?

So you can just get back at the bullies, fast and easy, right? But if you do that, you will be no different from those who bullied you. You would be just like them. It is said that the bullied today will become the bullies tomorrow.

So being bullied for eight years is no big deal, and you can just man up in THREE FREAKING SECONDS FLAT? No, psychology says it's not that easy. It takes many days, weeks, months, or even YEARS, to fully recover from bullying. Physical damage is easily repaired, but not the emotional damage.

When you get out of being bullied, you find it hard to trust people, because you're scared they might hurt you, even if they really mean well to you. This, people, is what happens to our dear hero. So cut him some slack. Or I guess you can't because you've never been bullied all your life.

And I don't get it. Why are action series characters, especially the MC, not allowed to be emotional? Because emotion is a weakness, right? You know, in some series, emotion can be a power! And I find Kirito boring because he strikes me as a guy with very little emotion. At least KYH, cool as she is, shows to be capable of emotions!
Apr 15, 2013 1:55 PM

Apr 2013
ninjaluc79 said:
Gripsocks said:
Red_Keys said:

So being bullied for like your entire school life (EIGHT FREAKING YEARS) is trivial?

So you can just get back at the bullies, fast and easy, right? But if you do that, you will be no different from those who bullied you. You would be just like them. It is said that the bullied today will become the bullies tomorrow.

So being bullied for eight years is no big deal, and you can just man up in THREE FREAKING SECONDS FLAT? No, psychology says it's not that easy. It takes many days, weeks, months, or even YEARS, to fully recover from bullying. Physical damage is easily repaired, but not the emotional damage.

When you get out of being bullied, you find it hard to trust people, because you're scared they might hurt you, even if they really mean well to you. This, people, is what happens to our dear hero. So cut him some slack. Or I guess you can't because you've never been bullied all your life.

And I don't get it. Why are action series characters, especially the MC, not allowed to be emotional? Because emotion is a weakness, right? You know, in some series, emotion can be a power! And I find Kirito boring because he strikes me as a guy with very little emotion. At least KYH, cool as she is, shows to be capable of emotions!

Lol I love how your turned this into ''bullying'' I mean Ehh ?
What does bullying have to do with Haru showing excessive emotions over trivial things ? the bullying part already ended in the first 2 episodes or so after that he is still overly emotional over dumb reasons.
Apr 16, 2013 2:33 AM

Jun 2010
My memory is quite fuzzy, but what kind of dumb things, exactly? Remember that he has been badly broken by all the bullying he has suffered. So I can actually expect him to cry over the slightest things that might affect him.
Apr 16, 2013 9:39 PM
Dec 2012
A random first post. It seems that the OP has now lost all his bravado and has given up. Before he relied on denial and now it looks like plain lying. I don't recall a single moment when he broke down crying for trivial reasons.

"It's not simply that he's emotional it's the trivial things he gets emotional about."

An example would be after he lost his wings to Dusk Taker and totally broke down, wouldn't it? Of course, if OP were to read this, he'd brush it off as "o lol he cryin cuz he lost an item in a game wat a fag" without considering Haru's emotional attachment to those wings. Sky Raker pointed out that his wings were a culmination of all his mental scars leading which led to his desire to fly, which was so powerful that Brain Burst ended up noticing that desire and bestowing him wings, something that no other Burst Linker has ever had. Of course he'd be utterly devastated if he lost them. It certainly doesn't help that they're one of the main reasons Kuroyukihime relies on him so much and the one thing that Haru has that makes him special. Haru himself pointed out that without his wings, his avatar makes him pretty much a Mook. This is not the same thing as crying because your video game account got hacked and somebody stole all your items. This is more like someone breaking into your house and stealing an object with huge sentimental value, such as ashes of a deceased relative.

Kuroyukihime's attraction to Haruyuki was only at first an interest in his godly reflexes (which are still nowhere near the level of 1337 hax0r Kirito, who was only beaten by Heathcliff who used hax and Yuuki who trained for much longer than him) which grew into love. You seem to forget that she's a level 9 Burst Linker, meaning she, in a sense, has lived more than several decades. She's old enough to not be as shallow as you are, seeing Haruyuki's kindness, timidness, yet determined personality instead of a fat crybaby.

I couldn't help myself but post, as the OP was totally infuriating with contradicting claims and clearly false claims. First claiming that SAO had more realistic emotions because of the deaths, when he claimed himself that he didn't give a shit about anyone dying. Personally, I only cared about Sachi (who was totally forgotten as soon as ALO started) and Eugeo's deaths (total bro). Everyone else who died either didn't even get a second mention or came back to life.
Apr 16, 2013 10:22 PM

Jun 2010
lightdremius said:
-snip-

Apparently, it's because permanent death is a greater deal than losing memories of your friends and access to eternal life. Or is it really?

Imagine, if a game allows you to slow down time, you would NOT want to let it go. Thus, the Brain Burst players' addiction to this game.

Permanent death? At least your friend remembers you before s/he dies. Sure, it's painful, but still.

Memory loss? At least s/he's still alive but s/he won't even be able to remember you. Damn, that's worse than death to me. Sure, s/he can gain new friends, nice and easy, but s/he won't be able to remember everything you did together (in the game, at least).

If you lose BB, you don't only lose memories of your fellow players, you also lose the means to make your life easier (with the power to slow down time, damn, you can do pretty much anything) and live forever.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Accel World Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 21, 2012

453 by Orin23 »»
Feb 20, 4:14 AM

» The episodes 16 to half of 24, gave me an anguish & pissed off reaction

Kiryotsu - Feb 3

3 by Eckl3 »»
Feb 4, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Accel World Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 14, 2012

185 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 11, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Accel World Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2012

223 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 10, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Accel World Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 13, 2012

178 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 10, 4:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.