Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 24, 2012 10:36 AM
May 2012
Sometime soon I want to watch Hunter x Hunter, once I'm done with a couple of other anime, but I found out there is an older version and a remake. Personally, I the animation of modern anime, so should I even bother with the original or are they different?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 24, 2012 10:41 AM

Apr 2011
Hunter x Hunter 2011 since it will go beyond Greed Island
Sep 24, 2012 10:42 AM
Jan 2012
I like the original. voice and art.
though if it were to go beyond greed island maybe I'll change my mind.
Sep 24, 2012 10:48 AM

Nov 2010
You can watch the original if you want, but the new adaptaion is a remake of the original with a few things changed. So you would get bored if you tried to watch one after another. Basically since they have pretty much the same story, but the new one has better art and will go farther I say watch the new one if you have to pick. But the original isn't bad at all, just short.
Sep 24, 2012 10:50 AM

Sep 2010
Unlike FMA:Brotherhood there was a lot of re-casting of parts and slight changing in art style(things got a lot brighter). I recommend watching the first HxH because of the stellar cast and art. The original follows the manga closely so when the original ends after Greed Island you can start watching the new anime at the beginning of the Chimera Ant arc.

If changing voices mid-way through the story bothers you then I guess just go with the 2011 version.

Sep 24, 2012 11:11 AM

Sep 2012
Watch the new one, the old one ended and didn't finish the story, the new one is on-going. Overall better as well.

If you end up being a big fan then I'd suggest watching the old one because it's really great too :)

Enjoy
Sep 24, 2012 11:20 AM

Feb 2012
I had the same problem recently and I went with the new one. I don't regret it because I enjoy the shit it ouf of it and from what I've seen in Amv's and so on it's pretty much the same as the old one.
Sep 24, 2012 11:46 AM

Jan 2012
Old one has superior voice acting and music and a little more scenes/dialogues..

I didn't like the new voices at first, but they grew on me b/c the show is so damn good, though Jun's voice for lucifer will need some more time getting used to.

Doesn't hurt to watch both, but you're not missing out on anything watching the newer version.
Sep 24, 2012 11:48 AM

Sep 2012
flaxman85 said:
Old one has superior voice acting and music and a little more scenes/dialogues..

I didn't like the new voices at first, but they grew on me b/c the show is so damn good, though Jun's voice for lucifer will need some more time getting used to.

Doesn't hurt to watch both, but you're not missing out on anything watching the newer version.

Not really, depends. And most people who prefer these things are the older viewers so it's mostly nostalgic
Sep 24, 2012 11:49 AM

Sep 2010

Not really, depends. And most people who prefer these things are the older viewers so it's mostly nostalgic

Liking older stuff=/=nostalgia.

Also a big part of nostalgia is not being able to relive those memories to the same effect. It's nostalgia if the fans of the original can no longer enjoy the original. HxH(1999) has been one of the things I re-watch annually because I can enjoy it every time.
Anime_NameSep 24, 2012 11:53 AM

Sep 24, 2012 11:57 AM

Sep 2012
Anime_Name said:

Liking older stuff=/=nostalgia.

Also a big part of nostalgia is not being able to relive those memories to the same effect. It's nostalgia if the fans of the original can no longer enjoy the original. HxH(1999) has been one of the things I re-watch annually because I can enjoy it every time.

Same but, mostly people DO like it because of nostalgia. On the other hand when I tell new fans to go watch the old version because it has better this and that (namely music) they tell me they like it in the 2011 more. So for most, including me, it's just that it was something we used to watch, add that to HxH being great and the adaptation itself being great and iyou get massive nostalgia
Sep 24, 2012 11:58 AM
Oct 2011
Anime_Name said:
Unlike FMA:Brotherhood there was a lot of re-casting of parts and slight changing in art style(things got a lot brighter). I recommend watching the first HxH because of the stellar cast and art. The original follows the manga closely so when the original ends after Greed Island you can start watching the new anime at the beginning of the Chimera Ant arc.

If changing voices mid-way through the story bothers you then I guess just go with the 2011 version.
No, the 1999 version changed some stuff from the manga and it went in its own way in animating, the Hisoka vs Kastro was only 4 minutes in the original, in the new one it's 2 episodes, not to mention how they changed who is Mito (or whoever her name was, the woman who took care of Gon). There was also fillers in the original version.

@theantonlolz begin with the new one since it will probably go beyond Greed Island, where the old version stopped. If you started with the old version you might have some problems with the voice-acting and the OST especially (because you'll get used to those of the old one). The new version is also more faithful to the manga, the old one changed some stuff and had fillers. In case you felt like not enjoying the new version (after watching like 11-15 episodes) then go back and watch the old one until the end of the first OVA, take a break then go back to the new version from the beginning.
Candor123Sep 24, 2012 12:47 PM
Sep 24, 2012 12:11 PM

Sep 2010
No, the 1999 version changed some stuff from the manga and it went in its own way in animating, the Hisoka vs Kastro was only 4 minutes in the original, in the new one it's 2 episodes, not to mention how they changed who is Mito (or whoever her name was, the woman who took care of Gon). There was also fillers in the original version.

Where did I say the anime didn't do that? They edited stuff and added some stuff, that's the same kind of shit we see all the time in anime adaptations and yet I can say those anime still "follow the manga" but when I say HxH(1999) you want to get up and protest. Some changes were made because of the director, change in format, and broadcaster preference. Good luck finding an anime adaptation that doesn't do any of the above.(Hint:Even the new HxH does it)

@theantonlolz begin with the new one since it will probably go beyond Greed Island, where the old version stopped. If you started with the old version you'll have some problems with the voice-acting and the OST especially (because you'll get used to those of the old one). The new version is also more faithful to the manga, the old one changed some stuff and had fillers. In case you felt like not enjoying the new version (after watching like 11-15 episodes) then go back and watch the old one until the end of the first OVA, take a break then go back to the new version from the beginning.

You got the probably right about going beyond GI but are for some reason jumping to conclusions on whether the OP will have problems with the changing of VAs and scores.

Same but, mostly people DO like it because of nostalgia. On the other hand when I tell new fans to go watch the old version because it has better this and that (namely music) they tell me they like it in the 2011 more. So for most, including me, it's just that it was something we used to watch, add that to HxH being great and the adaptation itself being great and iyou get massive nostalgia

Again, that's not nostalgia. That's just a differing of opinions/taste.
Nostalgia isn't about just liking something old and someone else not liking it...

Sep 24, 2012 1:16 PM

Jan 2012
The 1999 anime had poor direction with the story. The filler was horrible and you'll probably be bored as fuck watching the first 10 episodes. I would say the 1999 anime is 40% faithful while the 2011 anime is about 85% more faithful.....So yeah watch the 2011 anime it's easier and better to watch.
Sep 24, 2012 3:00 PM
Jun 2012
Eh...Personally, I would make plans to watch both because I enjoyed both. (The sometimes-crappy animation of the "original" didn't stop me from loving it...the incorrect/cliche characterizations, however, played a much larger role in determining my overall enjoyment but that's a different discussion altogether)

If you prefer to stick to just one adaptation, I say go for the 2011 version because it will most likely adapt more of the story (which is completely awesome) while the "original" is permanently incomplete. Worse yet, it ends on a cliffhanger. :/

Also, the 2011 version is much more engaging because there's a higher sense of excitement and adventure thanks to the music and visuals.

Hope this helps in your decision!

Note: I put quotations around the word original because at times, the 1999 adaptation inaccurately portrays the characters and situations, thus going against the canon of the true original material: the manga. This isn't to necessarily say that it's a huge flaw of the 1999 adaptation, but rather, the misinformation can cause a bit of misunderstanding for those who decide to read the manga after viewing the 1999 adaptation.

Edit:

After watching an extremely well-done amv of the 1999 series, I have to say that while the incorrect/cliche characterizations still annoy me to a great degree, the overall approach of the 1999 version tugged at my heartstrings a whole lot more than the 2011 version has (which, I think, is really unfortunate...)

I loved the way the 1999 version depicted emotions because it made me FEEL like the character. You could FEEL a character's sorrow, fear, happiness...yeah, you get the idea.

I also liked how they expanded on the characters and their backgrounds because I like seeing a character's past. In the manga, I would always crave more details about a character's past but I would never actually get it...

Seriously though, I just wish the 1999 version didn't screw up the characterizations so badly because I seriously enjoyed how everything was put together (for most part). If you were to compare, the characters feel almost completely different despite being practically the same character. (For instance, I wish they didn't make Gon completely clueless/airheaded/innocent because he's a much better character than the cliche they made him out to be -__- )

2011 wins in overall animation quality and characterization, but falls painfully short on emotional delivery for most part...(there has been serveral exceptions)

1999, no doubt, wins on emotional delivery but falls PAINFULLY short on animation quality and incorrect/cliche characterization...

Of course, this is just my opinion. I encourage anyone to watch both.

d_2_HxHSep 25, 2012 1:32 PM
Sep 24, 2012 3:54 PM

Mar 2012
Watch both. But treat both anime as a different way of telling the same story. If you start comparing old vs new it'll ruin the experience for both.
There are those who say 1999 slow pace=boring, 2011 fast pace=exciting and engaging! For me, the 1999 version takes its time to tell a story and doesn't rush through events like a checklist that needs to be done as fast as possible. But if you prefer that fast pace stick with the 2011 and watch 1999 in your spare time. Otherwise, finish the 1999 (hope you enjoy it) and look forward to weekly episodes of 2011.
A good author leaves the audience enough material to be satisfied with, yet yearning for more.
Sep 24, 2012 4:28 PM

Jan 2012
The 1999 anime was slow pace because It added filler that prolonged scenes in the manga(Some of the filler try to come off as cannon). The 2011 is actually following the manga. Saying it's fast paced makes no sense because the first episodes are how the manga had it. If you look at it from a manga prospective, the pacing of the 2011 anime is right on....As for the 1999 anime the pacing was way dragged..I'm not saying it'll hinder you joy for the anime but it does make you think that it's slow as hell.

Anyways...They're both good in their own right but the 2011 is the one you should be watching...IMO.
Sep 24, 2012 7:05 PM

Nov 2011
Watch the 2011 anime.
Sep 24, 2012 8:27 PM

Sep 2009
well for a fan of the old version like me i recommend you to watch the 1999 anime and ova1 till end of yorkshin arc and you can continue the series from the beginning of greed island arc in the new version
Sep 24, 2012 8:38 PM

Sep 2010
Benicio said:
well for a fan of the old version like me i recommend you to watch the 1999 anime and ova1 till end of yorkshin arc and you can continue the series from the beginning of greed island arc in the new version

I like the way this man thinks.

Sep 24, 2012 8:49 PM

Nov 2010
Anime_Name said:
Benicio said:

I like the way this man thinks.
Yeah but for a new watcher that might not be the best way. He could always go back and watch the old one later.

And I wonder if anyone has ever watched the new one first and then watched the old one. If their thinking would be different for this question.
Sep 24, 2012 9:00 PM

Sep 2010
Well only the new watcher himself would know what's the best way for him. I don't know what is best for the guy(he needs to choose), I just know which recommendations I like.

Sep 25, 2012 11:52 AM

Jan 2012
The 1999 isn't reliable at all if you want to know how the characters approached and did certain scenes. Even the MC's backstory was changed during the 1999 anime. People who actually watched the 2011 anime first can't even get into the 1999 anime because of how boring the first episodes were....So don't listen to people who don't know the manga...If you want to know how the manga told the story watch the 2011 anime....If you want to see an anime ruin the manga's story watch the 1999 anime.
Sep 25, 2012 4:09 PM

Aug 2012
wasn't there something exactly like this before? :|

anyway, to the op, do whatever you want.
the 2011 one is ongoing and so (presumably) it's going to cover the rest of the series. whereas the 1999 one had to stop. (though it wasn't a terrible place to do so imo... im including the GI ovas here, just saying.)
both adaptations have their pros and cons, and obviously, what a con is and what a pro is, can differ between two different people. Don't assume any opinion you hear will end up being yours too.
whether you'd end up liking the 1999 one or the 2011 (with absolutely no bias) is something we can't know, since you can't really erase your memory and such. If you end up getting high off HxH and want more of it/ have free time, watch the other one too, you may overall like it more depending on your tastes.
If you start one, and keep watching for ~30-50 eps, and still hate it, try the other one. (I doubt you'll suddenly start liking any version of HxH by that point, but who knows.)
Sep 25, 2012 4:13 PM

Sep 2012
In the end, you'll end up with 2011 as the MAIN adaptation. Unless you switch to manga.

So go for 2011 primarily like I said before <.<
Sep 25, 2012 6:26 PM

Aug 2012
If they figure they don't care for the later arcs (and think the cliffhanger/open end is fine) and prefer the VAs/BGs/animation/style/whatever of NA's anime, then the 2011 can remain off their radar without much problem. (it just isn't all that likely imcompletelybiasedo)
Sep 25, 2012 8:39 PM

Dec 2010
Got the time? Watch both. The old then the new. I loved the original, and am loving the new one.
Sep 26, 2012 10:15 AM

Nov 2011
watch both
but I recommend 2011 right now
Sep 26, 2012 10:26 AM

Sep 2012
Unless you are interested in fan-fiction, you should watch the remake.
Sep 26, 2012 1:42 PM

Jan 2012
It's not about taste. It's about the story. One tells the story of the manga. One deviates from it more often than not. SO.................If you want the story of the manga watch the 2011 anime....IF you want to watch something deviating from that more often than not watch the 1999 anime.................

^I'm saying watch both....
Sep 26, 2012 1:51 PM

Sep 2010
By saying it is up the to op to decide on what they "want" out of a story it means the choice boils down to the op's taste...

Sep 27, 2012 12:06 PM

Jan 2012
Exactly...
Sep 27, 2012 7:32 PM
Sep 2012
2011 adaption is so much better!
Sep 27, 2012 7:39 PM

Aug 2012
^
Sep 30, 2012 7:30 AM
May 2012
Definitely HxH 2011, better pacing, better animation, more faithful to the manga and no fillers.
However, I advice you to watch the first episode of the original HxH, because in the 2011 remake, they didn't introduce a very important character.
Sep 30, 2012 8:32 AM

Jul 2010
Don't bother. You don't really need to watch the old series. It's good and all, but if you're new to HxH, you don't want inconsistencies and stuff due to switching versions later on, so stick to the new one. Although they essentially have the same plot, the old one actually has personal touches (i.e. fillers) that make its story deviate a bit.

Up to you though.
The big brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
Sep 30, 2012 10:25 AM

Sep 2012
Id say watch 2011 because

1-1999 Will spoil 2011 episodes
2-Many people say that 2011 will go beyond greed island

Or if you want just watch them together..
Sep 30, 2012 11:09 AM

Nov 2007
I would recommend both even though I prefer 1999. It has richer and more mature air about it. The new one - supposedly following the manga to the letter LOL has excluded so many nice scenes.... Not to mention needlessly adding small stuff here and there for the sport of it. But it seem like visualization is everything nowadays so the new one is easier to assimilate and as such I just recommend seeing the old series as well.
Sep 30, 2012 2:04 PM
Mar 2012
if you havent watched 1999 yet then don't, stick with the new version and the manga
Oct 2, 2012 6:57 AM

Aug 2012
watch the new version
May 21, 2013 2:42 PM
Sep 2012
I'm watching the old one now, am half way, and absolutely love it. I'm going to watch the new one when I'm done with the old one. I did the same with FMA. The beginning of FMA was a lot sadder than Brotherhood. But Brotherhood was better overal. I expect the same with the new Hunter X Hunter. Although I hear people say that the new one isn't bloodier than the original, because Brotherhood is bloodier than the original... Which Hunter X Hunter series do the people who watched both see as more mature? As for FMA, I think Brotherhood was more mature...
May 21, 2013 2:59 PM

Nov 2010
jasmlypp said:
I'm watching the old one now, am half way, and absolutely love it. I'm going to watch the new one when I'm done with the old one. I did the same with FMA. The beginning of FMA was a lot sadder than Brotherhood. But Brotherhood was better overal. I expect the same with the new Hunter X Hunter. Although I hear people say that the new one isn't bloodier than the original, because Brotherhood is bloodier than the original... Which Hunter X Hunter series do the people who watched both see as more mature? As for FMA, I think Brotherhood was more mature...
Well I won't say that's a good idea. Because unlike FMA, the first show is almost the same as the remake just different VA's, music, art, faster, and less filler.

The Hunter x Hunter remake is bloodier than the first. and it is more mature.
May 21, 2013 3:45 PM

Feb 2013
No the 99 version definitely isnt bloodier.
May 21, 2013 3:50 PM

May 2013
Guys please, the original is the only option you have. The remake sucks! Killua looks like Casper.
May 21, 2013 5:13 PM

Feb 2013
KellyMoons said:
Guys please, the original is the only option you have. The remake sucks! Killua looks like Casper.

YOU JUST GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWAY
May 21, 2013 11:47 PM

May 2013
No.
May 22, 2013 8:49 AM

Mar 2013
2011 version. Though I like the 1999 versions color scheme a bit more,1999 version made Gon into more of a average, innocent, white shonen main protagonist.

But,in 2011 version and manga Gon's more gray.Also,whoever created the 1999 version kind of made hxh into a story of their own,changing vital stuff and character persionality's.

Plus,besides the beginning, 2011 version is much more bloody and violent.

@Kelly. YOU JUST GO AWAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
May 23, 2013 2:55 AM

May 2013
ahahah NOOOOOOO!!!

But yeah, we all like hunter x hunter so.. just watch one of them =)
May 23, 2013 7:03 AM

Sep 2012
Prefer you start with the 2011 version
May 23, 2013 10:55 AM

May 2013
KellyMoons said:

^ this
Killua looks like a mama's boy.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 131 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 27, 2014

1044 by Ace1347 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

fishergirl16 - Oct 22, 2011

169 by brunoyilli »»
Today, 6:17 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

927 by zeyneppi »»
Yesterday, 11:15 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

fishergirl16 - Jun 2, 2012

141 by flat-earl »»
Jul 24, 6:01 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Mikasa - May 26, 2012

160 by flat-earl »»
Jul 24, 5:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.