Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (26) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Sep 8, 2012 6:29 PM

Jan 2011
Niyawa said:
Pan151 said:

That said, if you ignore that, the SAO anime is wuite good - you might not get nearly as much details as in the novel but oh well, if you're not the type that really wants to find out about every last detail then the adaptation is more than enough.

That's a good point, but it doesn't make up for the fact that a lot of people had to live up with 2-6 fillers (or side stories) episode just for the sake of watching the main story. As you said, for those who do not seek particular details or plot "edge" this things pass like nothing. But those who seek more joy with expectations of a decent adaptation have lost hope. Since I'm not the type to go around every little detail, this became something really entertaining, but even if it keeps up, it won't get more than a 6/10 with luck.

They would have to live with those fillers anyway. If they weren't at the beginning, they would be randomly interrupting the flow of the story every couple of episodes, and until they were broadcast those with no previous LN experience would have been lost in all the unexplained nonsence.
When it comes to anime adaptations, it's always preferable to go with the chronological order of the story. Non-chronological storytelling is very good, IF you have all the story in front of you, and can easily backtrack a few pages anytime you want, pick up a few things that you missed before and piece it all together. When you are broadcasting a weekly 20-minute episode though that's not a very good idea - people will just get lost, unless they set up an archive and keep notes, which you don't really want them to do - if the show is not a mystery, you do not want your viewers to have to play detective just to get what's going on...
And, all in all, they did a good job. Sure, the pacing was way off, but there was a clear continuity and a clear importance - they were not your run-of-the-mill fillers that feature a sidestory that never even gets mentioned again, they show us how Kirito comes to become who he is. All it asks from the viewer is to bear through a few weeks of mildly episodic action before they are ready for the main plot. If the story itself is decent - which it is -I don't think it's too much to ask.

At least it doesn't ask the viewers to continuously watch the same episode for 2 months straight, like a certain other series...
Sep 8, 2012 6:33 PM

Jan 2011
Pan151 said:
-Quoted For Truth here-
At least it doesn't ask the viewers to continuously watch the same episode for 2 months straight, like a certain other series...

Yup, that's pretty much it, to be fair, I would rather have a modified story that places better in here than actually trying to push side stories in a mainline just for the sake of main story alone. But considering the options given to the producers, they actually did a decent job comparing with what you said.
Sep 8, 2012 6:35 PM

Mar 2011
FranLawliet said:
Holy shit, that went way too fast. O_o I still don't see anything special about this show. Like others have said, the pacing is terrible.
It's almost disappointing how the anime community is so easily impressed nowadays.
Is it really worth it to read the novels?

Maybe SAO attract anime viewers who are easily satisfied?
The pacing isn't terrible, It's more proper to say that they rushed it too much, so it felt disconnected
Maybe anime community these days is easily impressed, but that's the fact of younger generation I guess? and SAO certainly is an easy anime to watch and It's damn enjoyable no matter If It's bad or good
I'm planning to read the novel after the anime finished
Sep 8, 2012 6:37 PM

Sep 2009
Best episode ever.
Sep 8, 2012 6:37 PM

Jan 2008
Niyawa said:
Pan151 said:
-Quoted For Truth here-

Yup, that's pretty much it, to be fair, I would rather have a modified story that places better in here than actually trying to push side stories in a mainline just for the sake of main story alone. But considering the options given to the producers, they actually did a decent job comparing with what you said.

I've said it in a thread I made for SAO a ways back, but I honestly think they could have just thrown them into small flashbacks instead of making entire episodes for them, like they did with this episode about Kirito's reason for not joining guilds. Sure it'd be less 'emotional' but who actually cares about Sachi? Well, I sure didn't, I'm not sure why she even has that much screen time in the opening.
Sep 8, 2012 6:42 PM

Jul 2010
Hybridbloodszak said:
Baphomet said:
2 years' worth of semen made a glopping sound.
Did they have sex btw in the anime adaptation O.o? She punched him after he said he only wanted to stay the night but then Asuna wakes up naked. I heard from a friend that in the LN they do and have a hentai chapter pretty much.

Yep, they did.
But I guess they toned it down a little bit cause children also watch this show.
Sep 8, 2012 6:43 PM

Jan 2011
Vizi_Reality said:

Maybe SAO attract anime viewers who are easily satisfied?
The pacing isn't terrible, It's more proper to say that they rushed it too much, so it felt disconnected
Maybe anime community these days is easily impressed, but that's the fact of younger generation I guess? and SAO certainly is an easy anime to watch and It's damn enjoyable no matter If It's bad or good
I'm planning to read the novel after the anime finished

It's simple, SAO (anime) is just a business arm to bring attention to the LN, this is actually fairly obvious.
Did you see the LN rankings in sales? It didn't bring up that much for no apparent reason or simply because people liked SAO itself. Most Japanese (aswell we) know that LN always bring best closure, best development and best pace which seems to be the huge issue with SAO. They will buy the LN to have a better understanding of a show they've taken interest for.

Paul said:

I've said it in a thread I made for SAO a ways back, but I honestly think they could have just thrown them into small flashbacks instead of making entire episodes for them, like they did with this episode about Kirito's reason for not joining guilds. Sure it'd be less 'emotional' but who actually cares about Sachi? Well, I sure didn't, I'm not sure why she even has that much screen time in the opening.

That's a pretty good idea, another thing would be putting some insights with Kirito himself while the story progress, talking to the "viewers" while explaining some important points.
Sep 8, 2012 6:46 PM

Dec 2011

lol
Sep 8, 2012 6:46 PM

Oct 2011
So this is where they
It felt too rushed for me, though it's enjoyable to watch nonetheless.

Didn't everyone thought Kirito was about to
with Heathcliff as the previous and this episode's setup was done that way to state the obvious outcome? reading the LN or not I've known from the last episode who wins the fight, it's too predictable

Nerve Gear was referenced on the latest AW episode, now I wonder what show will animate the
but in all honesty I want sunrise to do that, though it seems to me it's gonna be A-1 afterall.
Sep 8, 2012 6:47 PM

Jan 2012
HauntingShock said:
Venneria said:
Over 400 reply's? anyway nice episode soo did they do it?

Supposedly. But it wasn't shown -_-

Asuna was naked under the sheets..pretty sure Kirito didnt end up just "being in the same room"
Sep 8, 2012 6:48 PM

Oct 2010
Paul said:
Scoops said:
rostern said:
Scoops said:
rostern said:
So did they have sex in the novel? and they turned that into comedy scene in anime?
Well, not entierly sure what you mean by "comedy".
In the the Novel, Kirito almost got punched in the face.
In the novel, Asuna wakes up in Kiritos arm.(or something like that.) So yeah, I guess.

Paul said:
This discussion thread is hilarious.

Well not into comedy, but I laughed in that punch moment.

lol yeah that's true. I was laughing the entire episode tho. "The evil guy whos name i cannot spell"s facial expressions were just hilarious. For example this one that someone just posted:
[Edit: Picture hid in spoiler, was pretty fjukin big]

I preferred the other one.

So... much... derp.
AHAHAHHHAHA! That face makes Accelerator look pathetic as in Accelerator's face would be so much OVER 9000 compared to this one.

Hilarious still.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Sep 8, 2012 6:50 PM

Feb 2012
Niyawa said:

Paul said:

That's a pretty good idea, another thing would be putting some insights with Kirito himself while the story progress, talking to the "viewers" while explaining some important points.

Honestly, this is a really good idéa 'cuz it would have become a little bit more like the NL. Hence, the anime would have been better.

Cassper said:

lol

lol'd
Sep 8, 2012 6:51 PM
Oct 2010
jBui said:
HauntingShock said:
Venneria said:
Over 400 reply's? anyway nice episode soo did they do it?

Supposedly. But it wasn't shown -_-

Asuna was naked under the sheets..pretty sure Kirito didnt end up just "being in the same room"
It would be pretty awkward if she said: Fine, don't mind me, I'll just sleep naked, you do whatever you want to do.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Sep 8, 2012 6:52 PM

Apr 2011
Oh god this was so good... Kirito and Asuna are amazing.. I love how there wasn't a whole bunch of episodes about them failing at developing their relationship.. This was really great.. I was really scared for Kirito, his health was so low, it almost looked like he gave up and was about to accept death when Asuna appeared... She was badass... Does this make Kirito a red player now?

To be honest I was expecting Kirito to win the duel... Not disappointed though, the other guy hacked.
Sep 8, 2012 6:54 PM

Feb 2012
giraffesyo said:
Oh god this was so good... Kirito and Asuna are amazing.. I love how there wasn't a whole bunch of episodes about them failing at developing their relationship.. This was really great.. I was really scared for Kirito, his health was so low, it almost looked like he gave up and was about to accept death when Asuna appeared... She was badass... Does this make Kirito a red player now?

To be honest I was expecting Kirito to win the duel... Not disappointed though, the other guy hacked.

Killing a red played doesn't make you a red player.

At least the duel wasn't predicable then. ;)
Sep 8, 2012 6:57 PM

Jul 2009
See? This time I'm not raging about fanservice! Although the misunderstanding was still a bit cliché, at least it's believable, if you put aside the fact that Kirito is being a funny little asexual retard.

Wonderful episode! If only more anime romances were like this!

... Oh and, they did do it, rite?
Sep 8, 2012 6:58 PM

Apr 2011
Scoops said:
giraffesyo said:

Oh I get it because he killed the other guy right before it made it ok. I don't know how that slipped by me >_<
Sep 8, 2012 6:59 PM

Jan 2011
Scoops said:

Honestly, this is a really good idéa 'cuz it would have become a little bit more like the NL. Hence, the anime would have been better.

Thanks, those are the only way to somewhat fit the side stories that I found.

Electromaster said:
See? This time I'm not raging about fanservice! Although the misunderstanding was still a bit cliché, at least it's believable, if you put aside the fact that Kirito is being a funny little asexual retard.

Wonderful episode! If only more anime romances were like this!

... Oh and, they did do it, rite?

Yup.
Sep 8, 2012 7:02 PM

Jul 2009
Splendid!

*gives Kirito a gentleman's applause*
Sep 8, 2012 7:03 PM

Jan 2011
Electromaster said:
Splendid!

You should read chapter 16.5 for more in-depth explanation of the moment.
Sep 8, 2012 7:05 PM

Mar 2012
giraffesyo said:
Scoops said:
giraffesyo said:

Oh I get it because he killed the other guy right before it made it ok. I don't know how that slipped by me >_<

Pretty bad observation skills for a guy who saw 226 episodes of Conan -n
Sep 8, 2012 7:15 PM

Jul 2009
Niyawa said:
Electromaster said:
Splendid!

You should read chapter 16.5 for more in-depth explanation of the moment.

Way ahead of ya. =w=

*reading*
Sep 8, 2012 7:15 PM

Apr 2011
KaiKatsuya said:
giraffesyo said:
Scoops said:
giraffesyo said:

Yeah but I've never read the LN so I don't know the rules of the game either... I guess it can be assumed that he would not be deemed a red player but it kind of foreshadowed it when he called Kirito a murderer before dying.
Sep 8, 2012 7:16 PM

Jan 2008
giraffesyo said:
KaiKatsuya said:
giraffesyo said:
Scoops said:
giraffesyo said:

Yeah but I've never read the LN so I don't know the rules of the game either... I guess it can be assumed that he would not be deemed a red player but it kind of foreshadowed it when he called Kirito a murderer before dying.

He called him that because in SAO... people die when they're are killed.

I'm sorry, I had to.
Sep 8, 2012 7:17 PM

Jan 2011
Electromaster said:
Way ahead of ya. =w=

Sorry... I didn't get the expression".
Sep 8, 2012 7:18 PM
Aug 2010

Back on topic, the episode is rushed as usual, but still has some pretty sweet scenes XD OMG KIRITO X ASUNA ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!
Sep 8, 2012 7:21 PM
Jul 2012
Even though there was a romance developing it felt rushed, I also rent really feel warm and fuzzy like it should have made me feel but that's probably just me..
"
Sep 8, 2012 7:24 PM

Apr 2011
Paul said:
giraffesyo said:
KaiKatsuya said:
giraffesyo said:
Scoops said:
giraffesyo said:

He called him that because in SAO... people die when they're are killed.

I'm sorry, I had to.

Yep, I get that now, just wish I had better understanding of some of the mechanics of the game. Without you guys telling me I had to infer that he wouldn't become a murderer... I'm guessing this is a fact that would have been given to me in the LN.
Sep 8, 2012 7:26 PM

Jan 2011
giraffesyo said:

Yep, I get that now, just wish I had better understanding of some of the mechanics of the game. Without you guys telling me I had to infer that he wouldn't become a murderer... I'm guessing this is a fact that would have been given to me in the LN.

Actually... this is a fact given in episode 1.

Edit: Sorry I misunderstood, I though you were talking about the people dying in the game.
NiyawaSep 8, 2012 7:31 PM
Sep 8, 2012 7:55 PM
Sep 2012
...people have probably said this a million times already buuut...
looks like Kirito finally got to do his...
Sword. Art. Online.
( ・ω・)
Sep 8, 2012 7:57 PM

Sep 2011
Cassper said:

lol

Ahahahahaha. Laughing so hard.

OT: Best episode by far for me.

TyrelSep 8, 2012 8:15 PM
Sep 8, 2012 8:11 PM

Jul 2012
Tyrel said:
Cassper said:

lol

They put some of 16.5 in, the kiss, action here and there, and best of all Kuradeel dies.

Really? -___- sigh, these things never stop.
Sep 8, 2012 8:16 PM

Sep 2011
DivisionG said:
Tyrel said:
Cassper said:

lol

They put some of 16.5 in, the kiss, action here and there, and best of all Kuradeel dies.

Really? -___- sigh, these things never stop.

Wanna requote that? Forgot to spoiler it, incase some people bitch. Also, I didn't what you were trying to point out? What do you mean really. If you meant by that picture someone posted, then nvm.
Sep 8, 2012 8:22 PM

Apr 2012
anyone know why kirito was "seeing red" before he lost the duel?

it looked like he got paralyzed

anyways sweet episode
that ho deserved to die
zzzeallySep 8, 2012 8:25 PM

Sep 8, 2012 8:23 PM

Feb 2012
Zeally said:
anyone know why kirito was "seeing red" before he lost the duel?

it looked like he got paralyzed

That's a mystery. Look forward to next episodes.
Sep 8, 2012 8:25 PM

Jun 2009
Haha A1 says fuck glop.

I think I like the duel the most in this episode. Heatcliff is hax.
Sep 8, 2012 8:30 PM

Mar 2010
ahhahahha what a weirdo saying NO to sex..... when the bitch got undressed and basically put herself on the platter for him , " all you can eat"

but yeh liked this ep , best for me , 1 - kills his first guy, 2 - gets his first kiss 3 - all most sticks it in :D , only downside is that guild commander cheated with hes shield thingy somehow .... o.O
Sep 8, 2012 8:33 PM

Jul 2011
What a great episode with some good development :D
Sep 8, 2012 8:33 PM

Mar 2011
Awesome ep! can't wait for the next one as usual!!
Sep 8, 2012 8:34 PM

Jan 2011
xBroken said:
What a great episode with some good development :D

Because she felt that she was to blame for making him kill someone.

Mar 2012
This is the first ep that I enjoy more than the LN

Apr 2012
anyone else think of kakashi's raikiri when he killed kuradeel? XD

god that was the most satisfying kill ever. That guy was a total prick. I wanted him dead the first time they introduced him. Chopped off his hand but used his other to stab him in the heart like a bawwwwwwwwse

Would have been great if he took out his heart and ate it >_>

Sep 8, 2012 8:39 PM

Dec 2011

so many memes now. Last ep and this are just lol
Sep 8, 2012 8:43 PM
Jul 2012
BUT THE GLOP THO...
Sep 8, 2012 8:44 PM

Nov 2011
That was really rushed. I wonder how Heathcliff won that battle, does he have some special ability that stops time or something? Also I like how Kirito got Shu'ed (A select few will understand that)
Sep 8, 2012 8:46 PM
Apr 2009
nice development predictable but nicely done episode
and btw.. those characters info on the anime page.. SO DANGEROUS TO READ... the spoilers are deadly I almost read them :O
Sep 8, 2012 8:48 PM

Aug 2012
Heathcliff is a hacker, made no sense how he won unless he's actually the creator in disguise.
Sep 8, 2012 8:53 PM

Jul 2011
ASUNA x KIRITO

Sep 8, 2012 8:54 PM

Jan 2011
CriticalReviewer said:
Heathcliff is a hacker, made no sense how he won unless he's actually the creator in disguise.

My thoughts exactly, he is a hacker.
_
Jesus 500 comments already!

Finally they are officially together!!!! But that makes all the enemy encounters just that much more nerve racking now : |
Sep 8, 2012 8:55 PM
Dec 2011
At this rate, the first volume will definitely end before the end of the anime. I wonder how they plan to animate the rest.
Pages (26) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What even is SAO anymore?

Hango-Man - 4 hours ago

7 by Hango-Man »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2012

734 by amf85 »»
Yesterday, 7:25 PM

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
Yesterday, 4:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.