Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Aug 30, 2012 1:23 PM

Aug 2012
if you dont like the music on tv or radio than go out there and find some you like
the internet is there for something you now
+ who choses those "top" songs ? i think most of those songs deserve to be forgotten
because its always the same ####
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive.Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
see you space cowboy...

Aug 30, 2012 4:25 PM

Mar 2012
If you search hard enough, you'll find out the good music out numbers the shit.
Aug 30, 2012 5:46 PM

Dec 2011
Lack of creativity and terrible singing for American modern mainstream music
MitsukiHimekaAug 30, 2012 6:28 PM
Aug 30, 2012 6:46 PM

Feb 2009
Time is cruel, the older you get the more shitty the current music sounds.

They once hated Mozart eh.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Aug 30, 2012 7:35 PM

Mar 2012
Because it's made for people who don't love music.

Relatively there are only few people who really love music, so:
1) Most top artists don't make music for them, because they can't earn so much money. They make "music" for the masses, who just like simple sounds and vocals (why add actual music to the song if the vocals are enough to sell) - because that way they can make money
2) Obviously because only few people really love music, this music doesn't make it into the top whatever charts
Aug 30, 2012 7:44 PM

Aug 2010
Everyone has different tastes and what you like, most people might say sucks. You wouldn't know. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if most people say modern music has gotten better than old music. In fact how far does "modern" reach in determining modern music as opposed to "unmodern" music? And what if everyone just thinks you're an old fart who likes oldies?

Undeniable truth is, the ignorant masses constitute an immense consumer base and popular music will sell and make a lot of money. If you don't like it, don't listen to it and get over it? What sucks to you doesn't suck for everyone and vice versa.
Aug 30, 2012 7:53 PM

Jul 2012
I only listen to classical. What happened to great musicians like Bach, Mozart, and Wagner?! I miss the 1500's.
Aug 30, 2012 8:20 PM

Jun 2011
professor-salt said:
I only listen to classical. What happened to great musicians like Bach, Mozart, and Wagner?! I miss the 1500's.
Aug 30, 2012 9:43 PM

Jul 2011
The uprising of Teenage girls. One day they will rule us all.
Aug 30, 2012 9:51 PM

Dec 2010
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
professor-salt said:

キターーーー(・∀・)ーーー!!
Aug 30, 2012 10:05 PM

Jan 2010
@BlackSabotage

Just ignore mainstream music. You will hardly find something you like in the top 40, so stop searching.

Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Yes were never mainstream. Heavy metal, hard rock and progressive music have always survived by the support of their own community, just with occasional popularity peaks and radio friendly songs.

There is a lot of new heavy metal and progressive bands waiting to be discovered. And, maybe except for Muse or The Darkness, they aren't on the radio.
Aug 30, 2012 10:15 PM

Mar 2012
Either you're talking about bands that need to change their name, or neither Muse, or The Darkness, are heavy metal/progressive.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 30, 2012 10:21 PM

Jan 2010
Post-Josh said:
Either you're talking about bands that need to change their name, or neither Muse, or The Darkness, are heavy metal/progressive.

The Darkness is a hard rock band, I know :p Nevertheless, I always think of heavy metal and hard rock as part of the same genre and sub-culture

Muse is classified as progressive rock by several music sites

They are even in the ProgArchives (though as a Prog Related band)

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2122
Aug 30, 2012 10:32 PM

Jun 2011
BDL said:
@BlackSabotage

Just ignore mainstream music. You will hardly find something you like in the top 40, so stop searching.

Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Yes were never mainstream. Heavy metal, hard rock and progressive music have always survived by the support of their own community, just with occasional popularity peaks and radio friendly songs.

There is a lot of new heavy metal and progressive bands waiting to be discovered. And, maybe except for Muse or The Darkness, they aren't on the radio.

This community sure is supportive, I mean with half of the people going to their concerts without ever listening to Spiral Architect, Savage and The Gates of Delirium. Black Sabbath staying 5 years in the top 10 in UK doesn't make a band mainstream.
Aug 30, 2012 10:42 PM

Jan 2010
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
BDL said:
@BlackSabotage

This community sure is supportive, I mean with half of the people going to their concerts without ever listening to Spiral Architect, Savage and The Gates of Delirium. Black Sabbath staying 5 years in the top 10 in UK doesn't make a band mainstream.

5 years? lol I didn't know that!
Aug 30, 2012 10:46 PM
Aug 30, 2012 10:56 PM

Apr 2009
Mainstream music is improving, IMO. It's a lot better now than it was when I was in middle/high school at least. Maybe I'm just less cynical now. But yeah, mainstream music has never been good as a whole, for every good act there's 100 bad ones, that's how it's always been.
Aug 31, 2012 12:31 AM

Sep 2010
All I have to say is I don't like most music on the radio, but in no way is modern music worse... Follow some music blogs or something....
Aug 31, 2012 12:35 AM

Dec 2010
In my opinion, I don't believe in good music and bad music. To me, there's no such thing as great or horrible music. It'll always depend on the consumer's taste, on how they would respond on that certain kind of music. I have nothing against today's popular music, because it's was the masses want.

But one thing that really appalls me is that it's always the music industry's decisions on what kind of music the artists should produce and not the artist itself. It's just unfair that the artist doesn't get creative control/freedom in his/her music. Maybe that's the reason why today's popular music always feels the same.

This is just my opinion.
Aug 31, 2012 12:40 AM

Sep 2010
kjra92 said:
In my opinion, I don't believe in good music and bad music. To me, there's no such thing as great or horrible music. It'll always depend on the consumer's taste, on how they would respond on that certain kind of music. I have nothing against today's popular music, because it's was the masses want.

But one thing that really appalls me is that it's always the music industry's decisions on what kind of music the artists should produce and not the artist itself. It's just unfair that the artist doesn't get creative control/freedom in his/her music. Maybe that's the reason why today's popular music always feels the same.

This is just my opinion.
I agree completely, but like I said I don't like most music on the radio, but their isn't bad music because it is subjective. You can't say this piece of art is better than this one, and that's a fact. It's ignorant and makes you look dumb, so stop arguing...
Aug 31, 2012 2:49 AM
Jul 2018
Because people suck
Aug 31, 2012 3:00 AM

Sep 2010
anything that isnt dance or hardstyle SUCKS.

see, i just posted my opinion as a fact, aren't i cool?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2012 8:04 AM

Jul 2012
Leonard93 said:
anything that isnt dance or hardstyle SUCKS.

see, i just posted my opinion as a fact, aren't i cool?

You forgot to say that anyone who disagrees is stupid.
Aug 31, 2012 8:41 AM

Jan 2010
BDL said:
RoCSC-006C1BST said:
BDL said:
@BlackSabotage

5 years? lol I didn't know that!

I though that you were talking about 5 years in the top 10 UK with the same album (Paranoid) ... But it's still impressing!

Let me correct myself ... when I said "mainstream" in my early post I didn't mean that Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Yes never achieved a great (mainstream) commercial success. Those bands are big! For “mainstream” I was talking about massive pop radio airplay (top 40 charts).

I also know that those bands have one or two or three radio hits (like Living After Midnight and Owner of a Lonely Heart), but they were never really part of mainstream radio and TV music preferences (at least from late 70’s onwards).

I doubt that people who aren’t Black Sabbath fans know other songs than Paranoid or Iron Man, from Paranoid album.

And if you look at Black Sabbath’s page on Last.fm, there is some people that ignore the existence of Black Sabbath line-up with Ronnie James Dio on vocals, for example.
BDLAug 31, 2012 8:46 AM
Aug 31, 2012 9:58 AM

Feb 2012
BDL said:

I doubt that people who aren’t Black Sabbath fans know other songs than Paranoid or Iron Man, from Paranoid album.

And if you look at Black Sabbath’s page on Last.fm, there is some people that ignore the existence of Black Sabbath line-up with Ronnie James Dio on vocals, for example.

Too true

Sabbath have plenty of ignored releases, Born Again, The Eternal idol etc.... all great albums
Aug 31, 2012 4:35 PM

Jan 2012
Just another lame rant from a generation Y who find himself/herself born too late to enjoy anything.
---
Aug 31, 2012 10:30 PM

Jan 2010
BurntWithWater said:
BDL said:

Too true

Sabbath have plenty of ignored releases, Born Again, The Eternal idol etc.... all great albums

Tony Martin era is so underrated! As well as Born Again album

fuckin' great vocal performance by Ian Gillan! lol
Sep 1, 2012 12:26 AM

Jun 2011
Even without massive radio plays it isn't exactly hard to learn their existence, after all I've known many of those sort of bands because I heard them in the radio.

Born Again isn't bad, but fuck that production and mastering, I swear I heard bootlegs with better sound quality than that. Between compression and the loudness war, I think I get enough headaches from most modern CDs anyway. Born Again isn't obviously like Welcome to Hell where the production was made that way on purpose.
Sep 1, 2012 12:36 AM

Jul 2012
music got bad cause instead of promoting artists the industry promotes whores who can be packaged and sold,repackaged and sold again to a mass that has no reaction other than to gorge on whatever is considered popular.

im old and i remember waiting for the next nirvana album and then kurt went and dashed my hopes thusly. Then all music started getting worse steadily.
Sep 1, 2012 1:14 AM
Jul 2018
Because,
some are auto-tune, rap with no real story, the music is mostly remix/techno/trance/ ... well "electronic" (all computer, no instruments kinda)

Talking about; party, women, sex, alcohol, drugs, dance.

not that they "suck" tho.
Sep 1, 2012 6:36 AM

Nov 2011
Shaja said:
music got bad cause instead of promoting artists the industry promotes whores who can be packaged and sold,repackaged and sold again to a mass that has no reaction other than to gorge on whatever is considered popular.

im old and i remember waiting for the next nirvana album and then kurt went and dashed my hopes thusly. Then all music started getting worse steadily.

In other words, you don't know how to use the internet to look for music.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Sep 1, 2012 10:48 AM

Feb 2010
It doesn't, in my opinion, I like most modern music.

Sep 1, 2012 1:09 PM

Jul 2012
rederoin said:
Shaja said:

I do, doesn't mean anything i finds any good.
Sep 1, 2012 1:29 PM

Aug 2012
Because the singers/rappers has a crappy autotone and songs are based on only fucking and sex.
She hit da floor next thing you know shawty got low low low~
^Sexual reference
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2012 1:30 PM

Aug 2009
because you touch yourself at night
Sep 1, 2012 1:55 PM

Aug 2012
MrKnD said:
because you touch yourself at night

Don't change the subject answer the f***ing question
Sep 1, 2012 3:14 PM

Mar 2011
I see, the old "I don't like it = it sucks" thread.

You quote these old bands, but if we take the year or decade where they were active, can you honestly say you liked all the music being produced then? Do you not think you're listening to what you like and ignoring the groups/singers of that era that you didn't?

I mean, if I didn't like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Yes ect.. (if you're reading this just pretend I'm talking about you're favourite band/singer/group), and I just said it was shit because I didn't like it, I think you'd 1) Be slightly offended and/or 2) Feel anger at me and/or 3) Disregard what I was saying.

rederoin said:

To be fair, though not aimed at me, this is true.
Sep 1, 2012 5:32 PM
Jul 2012
You just got look deeper.
Using rap as an example:
Most mainstream rappers are pretty bad. Like 2 Chainz. What the hell kind of rapping is that? Now I need to state that this is purely opinion, but I'm just using an example.
Listen to some of the older rap/hip-hop or rock.
I'd much rather listen to Living Legends, Hieroglyphics, Jedi Mind Tricks, etc. than the Lil Wayne shit going around.

And I have to agree all the mainstream stuff sounds alike, at least to me, but you can always access the other stuff
-GrayZOX
Sep 1, 2012 6:17 PM

Aug 2012
You're not looking hard enough... or at all because a lot of modern music is amazing.
Sep 1, 2012 7:05 PM

Dec 2009
Music in radios or magazines... 95% are commercial related and not specific to one's taste. DJs are often language-locked or area-locked. Programs in international cities may only be a little bit better...

Alternatively, you can ask for a recommendation for a similar piece of work using Google or a music BBS. It helps you to find music which are not so popular nowadays. It's grown up to be the most convenient method since the internet was born.
Sep 1, 2012 10:02 PM
Nov 2011
when its been a s*** year for music look towards German and japanese.
look to different cultures.

japanese - metal
german - industrial , dark electro, etc
if your into trance then french i guess.

Sep 2, 2012 8:17 PM
Mar 2012
omg this thread is still going on.I don't wanna be an ass but really?

Sep 2, 2012 8:20 PM

Apr 2012
Because being hipster is too mainstream haaaaaaaaaaa . . . no.
Sep 2, 2012 8:26 PM
Mar 2011
prrfer rap still lives for a cause
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 2, 2012 8:35 PM
Mar 2010
These topics are so stupid. Although I'm really not fond of most of the things that come on the radio, I don't think my opinion's the end all/be all of opinions. So to go ahead and say that modern music is shit, is really elitist of you. It's called having different tastes in music.

And btw, music has hardly changed. What has become popular has changed. But who cares? It may be disappointing that some really great bands go unheard, but no one's forcing you to listen to Carly Rae Jepsen.

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Sep 3, 2012 12:14 AM

May 2010
BlackSabotage said:
Most artist on the top 40 radio have such similar and generic sounds to them. What ever happened to good bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Yes?

Their time was up. And I mean it. Sure, Ac/DC or Scorpions still manage to fill up stadions at the concert but their are not as big as they used to be. While I think that some modern bands are picking up (Primal Fear comes to mind for ex.) I really doubt they will achieve the success and impact that old bands had.

It also depends on what you consider to be good music. I see that you didn't mention Abba or Elton John for ex. It's really a matter of taste.

But if you really want good music you can always stick to the old one or try and discover new bands. And trust me, there are quite a lot of them out there.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Sep 3, 2012 1:00 AM

Feb 2011
Music has changed quite dramatically. If you played hard core metal in the 1600 (I'm just making up a date around when I think classical music was most prominent.) they might have killed you.

I still think there are good artists around for each genre you just have to accept that music changes and change is scary.
Sep 23, 2012 5:29 AM

Sep 2012
Because of their SWAG.
Sep 23, 2012 5:32 AM
Jan 2012
oppa gangnam is the current trend.
looks good doesn't it.

Sep 23, 2012 7:01 AM

Sep 2012
It seems that most modern hip hop/rap MAINSTREAM music blows nowadays. Back then it was great but now it's all the same. nothing new and nothing different (same meaning). What to expect from modern rap, "I saw a girl, banged her. Then I saw a car, stole it. Then I saw a person, stabbed him." Modern Hip Hop: "I look so sexy every guy wants to get with me and when I go shopping I buy all the clothes I want." BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Seems like rock and metal are still doing alright though.
Guitarplayer20Sep 23, 2012 7:08 AM
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

8574 by KitsuFrost »»
53 minutes ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Apr 26

263 by cyandaqil »»
2 hours ago

» what kind of music do my fellow weebs like? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ToxicSnake1 - Oct 23, 2019

231 by Yuno »»
6 hours ago

» New devil may cry animated series

Old_School_Akira - Yesterday

2 by deg »»
Today, 1:23 AM

» Why still no Cyberpunk season 2 entry in anime DB?

Stuntdrath - Yesterday

2 by deg »»
Today, 12:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.