Forum Settings
Forums

Subtitles can distract you so much from the actual anime...

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Feb 10, 2014 9:13 AM

Mar 2013
Forgetfulness said:
mattbenz99 said:
i feel like localization is just a dub hater standard excuse to bash dubs. i mean i doubt most of the people who use it as an excuse really know what it means. most dubbing companies are not 4kids. they dont localize and on the rare occasion when they do it is because there is no way to translate something and not because they hate the material or whatever you dub haters believe
Oh, it's an excuse if I want to get a translation that is as close to the actual meaning as possible?

Okaaaayyy, and I'll just "feel" that not being able to read fast enough is "just a dumb sub hater excuse for those who are illiterate and/or uneducated"
unless you actual have some problem preventing you from reading

what does it matter if it is 100% exactly like the original? as long as the story is the same you will pretty much get the same experience. heck i was a dub purist for years and now that i watch subs also i dont even notice a difference between subs and dubs
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Feb 10, 2014 9:14 AM

Feb 2013
insan3Spectre said:
mattbenz99 said:

you make it sound like watching a dub is a war crime and should never be done under any circumstances

True.
War crime = watching dubbed version.
Feb 10, 2014 9:14 AM

May 2010
yeh i really disagree.

i do not even notice i am reading subs. its just natural when u watch anime every day for many years. and its simply wrong that you are distracted and miss visuals or audio.

your problem seems to be that you are not focused enough. i know ppl that watch anime while chatting on some anime streaming sites. that is the WORST possible thing you can do. you just have to concentrate on what you are watching and stay focused. and the more subs you read the easier it gets.
Feb 10, 2014 9:15 AM

Mar 2013
insan3Spectre said:
mattbenz99 said:

you make it sound like watching a dub is a war crime and should never be done under any circumstances

Woah, wait....what? When the hell did I ever say that or even imply it? I'm just saying it isn't that difficult to rewind subtitles.

sorry i was talking about most dub haters in general because that is what they act like when you mention that you watched a show dubbed
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Feb 10, 2014 9:17 AM

Apr 2011
Kerozinn said:
your problem seems to be that you are not focused enough. i know ppl that watch anime while chatting on some anime streaming sites. that is the WORST possible thing you can do. you just have to concentrate on what you are watching and stay focused. and the more subs you read the easier it gets.

I don't see how that's distracting at all. I've played games while watching anime and had little to no difficulty focusing on either the anime I was watching or the game I was playing.
Feb 10, 2014 9:17 AM
Jul 2013
mattbenz99 said:

It is a war crime. It doesn't matter if the dub has an all-star voice cast of celebrities, because it's not Japanese, and therefore not the "original." You get me?

Mod Edit: quote tower fixed.
ThangLongFeb 10, 2014 10:39 AM
Feb 10, 2014 9:18 AM

Jan 2014
Sung-Hwan said:

the difference is i watch subs also

WAS THIS DIRECTED AT YOU?
I MURDERED OUR ENTIRE CLAN UMAD SAUCEGAYYYYYYYYY UMAD?¿
http://foolishbrother.chatango.com/
Feb 10, 2014 9:19 AM

Apr 2011
How the fuck did this thread turn into a Sub vs Dub thread, again?
Feb 10, 2014 9:21 AM

Feb 2013
yhunata said:

I thought this already was sub vs dub thread.
My mistake then.
Feb 10, 2014 9:21 AM

Jan 2014
Forgetfulness said:

Sung-Hwan said:
It is a war crime. It doesn't matter if the dub has an all-star voice cast of celebrities, because it's not Japanese, and therefore not the "original." You get me?
And according to you, watching subs makes you a weaboo for some reason

Not simply watching it, but preferring it.
Feb 10, 2014 9:23 AM

Apr 2011
Forgetfulness said:
yhunata said:
As if that was ever a surprise

Good point.

Jun 2009
yhunata said:

Of course it is. With a thread title like that how could it not?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

May 2010
yhunata said:
Kerozinn said:

I don't see how that's distracting at all. I've played games while watching anime and had little to no difficulty focusing on either the anime I was watching or the game I was playing.

depends on the anime. miss a few lines of subs and might not udnerstand what is going on.

Jan 2013
I feel kind of sorry for people that lack the reading comprehension to watch an anime with subs.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Feb 10, 2014 9:28 AM

Mar 2013
geezdad said:
I feel kind of sorry for people that lack the reading comprehension to watch an anime with subs.

it has nothing to do with reading level. it has to do with people preferring to hear dialogue over reading dialogue

Feb 10, 2014 9:29 AM
Jul 2013
Forgetfulness said:
yhunata said:
As if that was ever a surprise
Sung-Hwan said:
And according to you, watching subs instantly makes you a weaboo and "not a true anime enthusiast" for some bizarre and unexplained reason

Because I don't watch subs. That's why I pay for three different streaming services that don't host dubs. No one is just allowed to enjoy both because...

You're either with us, you're against us.
Feb 10, 2014 9:31 AM

Jan 2014
mattbenz99 said:
geezdad said:

it has nothing to do with reading level. it has to do with people preferring to hear dialogue over reading dialogue

So one cannot hear Japanese dialogues? Why can I not genuinely prefer hearing Japanese instead of English in anime?

Mar 2013
Forgetfulness said:
mattbenz99 said:
geezdad said:
No, there are people who say that they legitimately cannot read subs and pay attention at the same time ._.

Shouldn't you know this, considering the number of Sub vs. Dubs arguments you've been in?

yes there are probably a few people who actually have problems like that but they are in the minority

Aug 2013
Sung-Hwan said:

By this conception, dubs should have never been created in the first place, right? After all, it will never be the "original"
Feb 10, 2014 9:33 AM

Apr 2013
yhunata said:
Kerozinn said:

It may be true if the game consisted of pressing one button every 10 seconds, otherwise I find this very unlikely...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Feb 10, 2014 9:34 AM
Jul 2013
AstronomyDomine said:
Sung-Hwan said:

By this conception, dubs should have never been created in the first place, right? After all, it will never be the "original"

According to the true hardcore Western anime fans, yeah.
Feb 10, 2014 9:34 AM

Mar 2013
Otouto said:
mattbenz99 said:
geezdad said:

So one cannot hear Japanese dialogues? Why can I not genuinely prefer hearing Japanese instead of English in anime?

you can hear the japanese dialogue but i makes no sense unless you actually speak japanese. also i am not saying that you cant watch subs but just dont be a dub hater

Feb 10, 2014 9:36 AM

Jan 2013
mattbenz99 said:
geezdad said:

If you took the time to read the OP and the title of the thread you would come to the conclusion that it is in fact about reading comprehension.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Feb 10, 2014 9:37 AM

Jan 2014
mattbenz99 said:
Otouto said:
mattbenz99 said:
geezdad said:

you can hear the japanese dialogue but i makes no sense unless you actually speak japanese. also i am not saying that you cant watch subs but just dont be a dub hater

So it doesn't make sense if I prefer Japanese over English music if I don't understand it?
Feb 10, 2014 9:38 AM
Jul 2013
mattbenz99 said:
Otouto said:
mattbenz99 said:
geezdad said:

By the logic of many sub only viewers, if you watch subs, you can learn Japanese by picking up on common phrases or sayings. Therefore, it's still better than a dub.
Feb 10, 2014 9:39 AM

Apr 2013
This is actually why I've started trying to read manga before watching an anime series. I like being able to take my time. That said, I'm a pretty fast reader, so subs don't bother me too much. There's advantages and disadvantages to subs/dubs/manga.
Feb 10, 2014 9:40 AM

Feb 2013
AstronomyDomine said:
Sung-Hwan said:

+1
Feb 10, 2014 9:41 AM

Mar 2013
Otouto said:
So it doesn't make sense if I prefer Japanese over English music if I don't understand it?

music is different. it has less to do with with understanding what they are saying and more to do with the catchyness of the song and the beat etc. heck millions of people like gangnam style and dont even realize that it is a satirical song making fun of a rich district in south korea

ThangLongFeb 10, 2014 10:40 AM

Feb 10, 2014 9:41 AM

Apr 2011
geralt said:
yhunata said:
Kerozinn said:

It may be true if the game consisted of pressing one button every 10 seconds, otherwise I find this very unlikely...

I was playing Pokemon (FireRed, Emerald, HeartGold and Platinum), Ace Attorney, FF6 and FF1 (one at a time, on emulators). Not really that difficult, to be honest. Ace Attorney was a bit distracting, I'll admit, due to it's heavy dialogue.
Feb 10, 2014 9:42 AM

Jan 2014
mattbenz99 said:
music is different. it has less to do with with understanding what they are saying and more to do with the catchyness of the song and the beat etc. heck millions of people like gangnam style and dont even realize that it is a satirical song making fun of a rich district in south korea

I actually do care about lyrics. I cannot listen to something without looking up the lyrics if it's in some foreign language. Also, can you please STOP speaking for me?

ThangLongFeb 10, 2014 10:41 AM
Feb 10, 2014 9:42 AM
May 2010
mattbenz99 said:

All that really matters to the audio part of an anime is enjoying the sounds, and the perception of emotion.

As long as the actual understanding part comes from the subs, theres no reason at all to not enjoy Japanese voices and language more. /Shrug.

ThangLongFeb 10, 2014 10:41 AM
Worships Asparagus.
Feb 10, 2014 9:43 AM

Mar 2013
Sung-Hwan said:

By the logic of many sub only viewers, if you watch subs, you can learn Japanese by picking up on common phrases or sayings. Therefore, it's still better than a dub.
yes after watching a couple hundred series subbed you may get a vague understanding of the language which will only help you understand anime and not real japanese because japanese people dont speak the way they do in anime

Otouto said:
I actually do care about lyrics. I cannot listen to something without looking up the lyrics if it's in some foreign language. Also, can you please STOP speaking for me?

how was i speaking for you specifically there?

ThangLongFeb 10, 2014 10:44 AM

Feb 10, 2014 10:55 AM

Oct 2013
It also depends on where u live. Some countries use subtitles everywhere so its easier for users who come from those countries because they're used to reading subs from a young age
me included :)
Feb 10, 2014 11:28 AM

Feb 2013
I don't have any problem with understanding what's going on. Subtitles aren't a trouble to me, they don't distract me.

Feb 10, 2014 12:03 PM

Jun 2013
Being half blind also plays an important role in this as well. If you can only see really good in one eye and not so much in the other, you are definitely going to have some problems focusing on both at the same time, I know because I'm half blind too.

So enough of this Sub vs Dub crap. Nobody gives a shit. You like what you like and I like what I like. That's how it should be.
Feb 10, 2014 12:09 PM
Sep 2013
I don't understand how anyone cannot watch an anime and not be able to read subs at the same time. I don't even notice i'm reading the subs, I just watch the screen.
The end is nigh

Feb 10, 2014 12:11 PM
Jul 2013
Kirishiro-chan said:
Being half blind also plays an important role in this as well. If you can only see really good in one eye and not so much in the other, you are definitely going to have some problems focusing on both at the same time, I know because I'm half blind too.

So enough of this Sub vs Dub crap. Nobody gives a shit. You like what you like and I like what I like. That's how it should be.

But people feel the urge to often express why subs are better than dubs, and antagonize those who do not agree with them.

It's sad.
Feb 10, 2014 12:14 PM

Sep 2011
Sung-Hwan said:

But people feel the urge to often express why subs are better than dubs, and antagonize those who do not agree with them.

It's sad.

But they are

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Feb 10, 2014 12:15 PM

Jun 2013
Jamie-sama said:
I don't understand how anyone cannot watch an anime and not be able to read subs at the same time. I don't even notice i'm reading the subs, I just watch the screen.
Ahem, read my post,

Kirishiro-chan said:

That is why. Some people are half blind like myself, and that is why we find it very hard.
Feb 10, 2014 12:15 PM

Jan 2014
This is why I like watching English dubs of animes, but watching it in subs is just as good since I can read it fast. Normally, I just glance at the words really quick and I can get the understanding of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svpejQ1I7Z0
^^^This is all of you people t(^-^t)
Feb 10, 2014 12:16 PM
May 2010
Kirishiro-chan said:
Jamie-sama said:
Ahem, read my post,

Kirishiro-chan said:

That is why. Some people are half blind like myself, and that is why we find it very hard.

Thats fair enough, but its obviously not the case for the majority of people who seem to be having problems with it or they would simply mention it like you have /shrug.
Worships Asparagus.
Feb 10, 2014 12:18 PM

Nov 2010
Kirishiro-chan said:
Jamie-sama said:
Ahem, read my post,

Kirishiro-chan said:

How many people watching dubs do you think are half blind? I don't even know one person who's half blind and I know a lot of people who watch dubs.
Feb 10, 2014 12:21 PM
Jul 2013
xLimewireX said:
Sung-Hwan said:

It's sad.

But they are

They're not. There, I stated my opinion and you stated yours. Now the question is if we can come to a mutual understanding, and whether or not weeaboos will jump to the immediate defense of subs.
Feb 10, 2014 12:23 PM

Sep 2011
Sung-Hwan said:

They're not. There, I stated my opinion and you stated yours. Now the question is if we can come to a mutual understanding, and whether or nor weeaboos will jump to the immediate defense of subs.

I don't get it, it's not an opinion tho

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

» Yearly reminder that Lenalee Lee reinvented battle shounen girls

Catalano - 35 minutes ago

2 by Darion_Phoenix »»
2 minutes ago

» Favorite Anime Insert Song

LowIqSalty - 1 hour ago

5 by pk8list »»
2 minutes ago

» help

arhttr - 2 minutes ago

0 by arhttr »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Is the harem genre trashy? ( 1 2 )

JustSomeone15 - May 19

64 by DesuMaiden »»
11 minutes ago

» Thoughts on NA?

lezbifriends - May 19

24 by ColourWheel »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.