Forum Settings
Forums

For non-japanese:-Have you ever though of learning Japanese so watching Anime would be sooooo much easier?????

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 13, 2008 5:31 PM

Jul 2008
ukonkivi said:
While it's ok for for media like anime to spark an interest in a foreign culture like Japan, anime itself is the last reason you should want to learn a language. It's not a COMPLETELY invalid one if you really love anime.

But really, learning Japanese for anime makes it sound as if Japanese is a completely useless language and anime fans wouldn't care a thing about anything of Japanese culture if it weren't for anime.

It's true, anime by itself was never enough reason for me - otherwise I would have started several years ago. First I had to realise I like learning languages, develop an interest in other aspects of the culture, and figure out how to go at it a bit more efficiently than I had been.

But that's just me.
Sep 13, 2008 5:48 PM

Jul 2008
ukonkivi said:
While it's ok for for media like anime to spark an interest in a foreign culture like Japan, anime itself is the last reason you should want to learn a language. It's not a COMPLETELY invalid one if you really love anime.

But really, learning Japanese for anime makes it sound as if Japanese is a completely useless language and anime fans wouldn't care a thing about anything of Japanese culture if it weren't for anime.

Understanding anime in itself is a pretty lacklustre reason for embarking on the study of a complicated language (still, how great is it as a spur!), but translation's not a bad reason for giving it a go. Some people - and I'm admittedly only speaking for friends here rather than myself - find a real joy in the process of translation with, specifically, anime and manga. They'd never have discovered (eventually...) their interest in Japanese culture had they not been fired by their love for its manga. That's what they're interested in most of all, even if it's acted as their gateway to everything else Japanese.
Sep 13, 2008 5:56 PM

Aug 2008
elisegrey said:
ukonkivi said:

Understanding anime in itself is a pretty lacklustre reason for embarking on the study of a complicated language (still, how great is it as a spur!), but translation's not a bad reason for giving it a go. Some people - and I'm admittedly only speaking for friends here rather than myself - find a real joy in the process of translation with, specifically, anime and manga. They'd never have discovered (eventually...) their interest in Japanese culture had they not been fired by their love for its manga. That's what they're interested in most of all, even if it's acted as their gateway to everything else Japanese.

AHAHA~, Quite true, It's a matter of time before they discover other benefits of their new language(In this case Japanese), Their knowledge of anew language may give them a boost in their future career, Even those who learn a little some of the language will end up happy of what they have achieved, although not as much as those who got the gist of it.
Sep 13, 2008 5:57 PM

Apr 2008
I've wanted to learn Japanese for a while now, although not necessarily because of anime. It's mainly out of my desire to be able to speak more than one language, plus it could be an advantage in some jobs. But yeah, being able to watch more anime would be a definite bonus.
NapalmbrainSep 14, 2008 2:51 AM
Sep 13, 2008 6:49 PM

May 2008
Napalmbrain said:
mainly out of my desire to able to speak more than one language

Oh heck yes!

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 13, 2008 8:18 PM

Jun 2008
I'd like to learn to speak Japanese so I could go to Japan and buy a whole bunch of anime figurines, wallscrolls and other stuff. -_-
(づ°‿°.)づ
Sep 13, 2008 8:29 PM

Feb 2007
Neverender said:
Yes, at times that idea has sounded appealing, but I have never gone through with it. I imagine completely forgetting my first language would be quite difficult.

As I am also equally as Japanese as Neverender, I too would agree that forgetting my first language would be terribly difficult. Almost more hard than learning Japanese. However, this thread has inspired me to attempt the unposible; un-learn Japanese!

NIPPON GA WAKARIMASEN DESU YO :<<<
Sep 13, 2008 8:34 PM

Nov 2006
selective_yellow said:
Neverender said:
Yes, at times that idea has sounded appealing, but I have never gone through with it. I imagine completely forgetting my first language would be quite difficult.

As I am also equally as Japanese as Neverender, I too would agree that forgetting my first language would be terribly difficult. Almost more hard than learning Japanese. However, this thread has inspired me to attempt the unposible; un-learn Japanese!

U SUCK AT READING TITLES OF THREADS BB ;-[
Sep 13, 2008 8:45 PM

Jan 2008
Studying Nihongo for 1.75 years so far - moto-moto more to go! Most of what you learn is polite, honorific and humble formats. Anime and dorama expose you to casual, aggressive, comedic and regional dialects you'll not find in the text books. this really helps fill out my education.

If I was only learning through watching media, I suspect that I would not have much progress past learning a few catch phrases, greetings and one-liners.
Sep 13, 2008 8:51 PM
Aug 2008
Yeah, actually I'm asking for a Japanese language learning program for my birthday (which is next month).
Sep 13, 2008 9:08 PM

Dec 2007
I made the decision a long time ago that I would learn at least one additional language to English in my lifetime, I've decided that Japanese will be that language. Trust me, it's not easy, first you need to have a very good understanding of your own language. All those English classes about predicate-pronouns and intransitive verbs that nobody really gave a crap about, I'm really wishing that I had paid more attention. Although, as long as you have the motivation to do it and do it right it's still very much in reach.

#NBHNC
Sep 13, 2008 9:09 PM

Feb 2008
I have never thought about it; I started to watch anime to help me learn Japanese. If I wanted to watch them purely for entertainment, I would stick to subs. It is far easier and with a good subber it can be more enjoyable for me than it would be in Japanese.
Sep 13, 2008 9:21 PM

Aug 2008
anime will always be hard to watch

i just can't make the tears go away ;o;

fuck a duck
Sep 13, 2008 9:21 PM
Jul 2008
It would be nice to learn Japanese, but if anything I'd like to learn Tagalog first just because it would be nice to be fluent and be able to understand what my family says.
Sep 13, 2008 9:29 PM

May 2008
Heh, I received my books today for Japanese classes I'm taking, they start in 10 days (I'm quite excited).

It was actually watched dubbed anime, then subbed, that gave me an interest in learning Japanese. Ideally I'd like to develop enough ability to find a career in translating, but I won't be quitting my day job.

I'd love to secure a role as an ADR director someday though, it's a pipe-dream of mine. I'm a dub fan, but they fall short of the original language both in inflection/pacing/translation far too often...I'd like to get in there and help raise the bar in the industry.

At any rate, since I'm taking this class for the fun of it, and anything I learn will help me earn some points with my Japanese distributors/customers, its really a win-win situation.
Sep 13, 2008 9:39 PM

Jan 2008
datsunvic said:
Studying Nihongo for 1.75 years so far - moto-moto more to go! Most of what you learn is polite, honorific and humble formats. Anime and dorama expose you to casual, aggressive, comedic and regional dialects you'll not find in the text books. this really helps fill out my education.

If I was only learning through watching media, I suspect that I would not have much progress past learning a few catch phrases, greetings and one-liners.

exactly
Sep 13, 2008 9:43 PM

Sep 2007
I though of learning Japanese but it would be a waste of my time.
I only plan on watching anime untill I get a girlfriend. Hopefully before i die.....
Sep 14, 2008 1:38 AM

May 2008
To be honest, I'm not willing to work that hard just so I can anime. Plus learning a language is difficult for me.
"I've read so much manga that at times my mind works in comic panels and dramatically expressed chibis. I'm both ashamed and amused by this."

Sep 14, 2008 1:52 AM

Jun 2008
I wonted to learn Japanese even before i got in to anime. So i want to learn the language but not because of anime. I simply like the language and is always good to know more languages. The more the better.
Sep 14, 2008 1:55 AM

Jun 2008
Thought about it, but not just for anime.
Sep 14, 2008 2:03 AM
Sep 2008
I took a class on it, but not because I wanted to. I was supposed to go into Spanish 1 (for highschool) but my counselor put me in Japanese, because she knew I liked the stuff...

The teacher was racist towards Mexicans and Blacks, which didn't fly with me.

then I got B& from the class.

But if I hadn't have taken that class, I might have considered it. But then again there's always subtitles.
Sep 14, 2008 2:17 AM

Mar 2008
YUp i wanna learn Jap so i can understand raw.
~Friendship is so sweet that it can cause tooth decay~

~Respect the losers, cause without them, there'll be no winners~
Sep 14, 2008 2:18 AM
Sep 2008
Its hard because when you start out, and things are to fast, you're not used to the fluency, so you mishear things...

Or you stay stuck like me and you mishear things in every language.
Sep 14, 2008 2:23 AM

Aug 2008
SweetMonia said:
Neverender said:
I am japanese, so no.

Then here is the question:-
For japanese:-Have you ever though of forgeting Japanese so watching Anime would be sooooo much Harder?????

>>>> Just kidding ^_^

windy said:
selective_yellow said:
Neverender said:

U SUCK AT READING TITLES OF THREADS BB ;-[

This has nothing to do with reading the thread title, He made no mistake by discussing un-learning Japanese.

"NIPPON GA WAKARIMASEN DESU YO" ??????????? What does this mean?????
^^

Sep 14, 2008 2:35 AM

Aug 2008
PeanutSteak said:
I made the decision a long time ago that I would learn at least one additional language to English in my lifetime, I've decided that Japanese will be that language. Trust me, it's not easy, first you need to have a very good understanding of your own language. All those English classes about predicate-pronouns and intransitive verbs that nobody really gave a crap about, I'm really wishing that I had paid more attention. Although, as long as you have the motivation to do it and do it right it's still very much in reach.

I don't think I need to understand my first language in order to learn a new on, on the contrary, Studying a new language "Increase you expressive abilities ".

Kaplan said:
Heh, I received my books today for Japanese classes I'm taking, they start in 10 days (I'm quite excited).

It was actually watched dubbed anime, then subbed, that gave me an interest in learning Japanese. Ideally I'd like to develop enough ability to find a career in translating, but I won't be quitting my day job.

I'd love to secure a role as an ADR director someday though, it's a pipe-dream of mine. I'm a dub fan, but they fall short of the original language both in inflection/pacing/translation far too often...I'd like to get in there and help raise the bar in the industry.

At any rate, since I'm taking this class for the fun of it, and anything I learn will help me earn some points with my Japanese distributors/customers, its really a win-win situation.

You are quite right ^-^

StellarCombo69 said:
Its hard because when you start out, and things are to fast, you're not used to the fluency, so you mishear things...

Or you stay stuck like me and you mishear things in every language.

Difficulty depend on the person, But doing it the rightdifferent way can make things much easier

SweetMoniaSep 14, 2008 2:48 AM
Sep 14, 2008 3:01 AM
Sep 2008
rightdifferent way?

I'M NOT DOIN IT RITE?
Sep 14, 2008 3:07 AM

Aug 2008
StellarCombo69 said:
rightdifferent way?

I'M NOT DOIN IT RITE?

"Difficulty depend on the person, But doing it the right\different way can make things much easier"

This isn't what I meant, Changing the way you deal with your new language will make learning much easier, Every person has many strong points,e.g. Learning method that uses excessive memorizing may not be the right way for those who hate\cannot memorize, more interactive methods should be used here.
Sep 14, 2008 3:28 AM
Sep 2008
Yeah, that can work too. I guess it all has something to do with the 3 learning methods when you think of it, huh?

Also, I'm just bad at hearing. Disreguard the first comment.

Sep 14, 2008 3:57 AM

Apr 2008
It's really not that difficult to learn a new language, but make sure you have ties to the country (ie. live there, have friends there) and learn the language from someone who's first language is actually the language you're trying to learn.
Ive had experiences with trying to learn german from a scot : P
Sep 14, 2008 6:30 AM

Dec 2007
I am taking Japanese, even though I know more than enough languages already, but that's because I am applying to a scholarship and I'll have more chances if I actually learn the language. xD When I watch anime I don't really pay much attention if I'm understanding or not, I listen, associate with subs and make a short idea of what they're saying... Then focus on art. xD

Though once I had to watch a raw and understood it. But it was hard.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Sep 14, 2008 6:31 AM

Feb 2008
I'm learning Japanese because I love the language. Not because of anime.
Sep 14, 2008 6:50 AM

Mar 2008
Yea i already though about it, would be really nice. But seriously it's way too much troubles just for watching anime/drama or japanese movie.

Also, being a non english person, i could see already how hard/long it was for me to understand properly english movie/tv show (i mean without sub). So it's a sweet dream to be able to understand japanese so easily, but i doubt it really happens just because of anime. :D
Sep 16, 2008 9:16 AM

Jul 2008
YES.

-Love is but a binding without the shackles-
Sep 16, 2008 9:23 AM

Sep 2008
In the prosses of doing so.

Sep 16, 2008 9:58 AM

Feb 2008
Indeed I have, and I already am learning it :P..On my second year :D

L2 Search - http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/236/3/9/L2_Search_by_Siya_Akuma.jpg
We're all getting trolled by Mayans. They probably thought "Fuck this shit, let's end the calendar and say shit's gonna go down."
Sep 16, 2008 11:21 AM

Mar 2008
No shows in Sweden are subbed so Im used to it :)
Sep 16, 2008 11:42 AM

Feb 2008
I don't learn Japanese to watch anime, I learn Japanese because of watching anime xD
Since I only watch subtitled anime, some phrases which are used often (like. understood, I kill you) are stuck in my head.
It's not like real learning, but... well, it kinda works.

If my school or anything else would offer Japanese lessons I would take the chance, because I'm really into languages and liguistic...
I'm alread lerning 4 different languages, so... who cares about another one? xD

Sep 16, 2008 3:39 PM

Jun 2008
if you can read fast that will not be a big problem,but i thought about it anyway
Sep 16, 2008 3:43 PM

Nov 2007
LolitaDecay said:
I'm learning Japanese because I love the language. Not because of anime.

That.

& it'd be nice too since I'd be able to watch & read raw without having to wait for subs & scanlations~
Sep 16, 2008 4:21 PM

Aug 2008
Well.. I am going to my first japanese class this sunday... so ya. It would
Sep 16, 2008 5:27 PM

Sep 2008
I just got a copy of rosetta stone from...somwhere...so ill be learning soon!! xD
Sep 16, 2008 9:24 PM

Jul 2008
It IS kinda amusing to laugh at South Park episodes where they would use Japanese in in scenes that no else in the room gets. 8D It makes me feel shmart.

However, it is nice to watch anime without focusing so much on subtitles, but I've grown so used to it (And since I'm not fluent) that I still use subs as a back-up.
Sep 16, 2008 9:28 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah.
Sep 16, 2008 9:49 PM

Jul 2008
Anirk said:
I just got a copy of rosetta stone from...somwhere...so ill be learning soon!! xD
I got mine at the same place, can't beat the price, my goal is to pretty much understand a slice-of-life raw.
Sep 16, 2008 10:08 PM

Apr 2008
I manage to understand some words. The big problem is the syntax of the sentence.

But, anime really helped me understand japanese more.

Sep 16, 2008 10:25 PM

May 2006
Hmm. Interesting topic. I agree with several people here...

Personally, I've taken 7years of Japanese classes... I am still rather intermediate, to my dismay... Classes have helped enhance my understanding about Grammar rules and sentence structure... since it is quite different from English, my mother language. Furthermore, classes have helped me to practice conversation and composition writing...

Nevertheless! I feel like I've learned much more from anime and manga. I originally started learning Japanese mainly because of anime... And well, upon encountering the idea of subtitles and Fansub teams and whatnot after a couple years of learning Japanese, I completely became engrossed in learning more. If one pays attention, one should be able to notice word/vocabulary and sentence/phrase patterns through all series and manga. That's how I started to grasp more conversational/colloquial vocab to practice and use. Then, once I began to advance in levels in school, I became the head of my class/school ALL thanks to anime/manga. TRULY so. I feel like I've benefited from taking mental notes and phrase/word memorization from reading manga and watching anime. I could not be able to read RAW manga or watch RAW anime now if I had not originally began learning the Japanese language via just anime and manga.

Really, all I got from my seven years of Japanese learning were formalities and writing structures. Nothing else. I am not yet fluent but able to converse in informal Japanese practically all due to the common usage of it within manga and anime. Reading and listening to the dialogues truly have made it more interactive and interesting to learn from; probably also easier to retain in memory. I want to also brag that I am more capable of intermediate-level reading literature thanks to reading manga... Additionally, I can watch RAW Japanese dramas and anime because of the fact that I've been keeping a keen ear on listening to conversations and catching onto phrases and words from anime. Altogether, I honestly think that I've advanced my Japanese language skills from just watching anime and reading manga.

(I intend to improve my Chinese and Korean from watching dramas and news, too.)

Lolz. Fluffy spiel I made... My bad. :P
Sep 16, 2008 10:57 PM

Aug 2008
I don't care if it'd make watching anime easier...
I just want to learn it 'cuase its friggin' awesome!

Sep 17, 2008 1:10 AM
Jul 2008
I like the language, and would love learning it, but not because of anime, but because i just love it :D
Anyway, my first language is Bosnian(which is part of the Slavic language group) and I'm always watching subbed anime, and subs are on English of course, how about that?
But I know English pretty well so I don't mind at all :D
Sep 17, 2008 2:49 AM

Jul 2008
No, I don't believe it's necessary for me to spend three times the amount of time learning Jap just to be able to turn the subtitles off. Other than that, I don't really see any applications for it unless you're with an transnational company and they need representatives : pretty much nevar :D
LEGENDOFTHEGALACTICHEROESLEGENDOFTHEGALACTI
Sep 17, 2008 3:11 AM

Apr 2008
I wouldn't learn Japanese JUST for anime/manga, that's kinda disrespectful to the language...
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Is the user above a bully or not?? v2 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ardanaz - Nov 29, 2018

5871 by Luchipher-Zen »»
18 seconds ago

» Is it a red flag? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

iHateAnimeBro - Apr 24

219 by Luchipher-Zen »»
54 seconds ago

» Make a word with the last letter v.16 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KayKimii - Aug 5, 2023

5655 by Longnines »»
1 minute ago

» What are your thoughts on _____? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Gem - Aug 28, 2016

2981 by BitChilly »»
2 minutes ago

» What's your reason to live? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Beef_Whistle - Nov 4, 2009

243 by DanzFcc »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.