Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 22, 2008 11:38 AM
Jul 2007
KuroNekoXIII said:
Haha, okay ^_^ So we're all pending the inevitable doom :P

What's the point of making theories about the end of the world? Wait, I just found the answar-Too see these theories go down in flames and their creatores pissed off.

Sorry if I went too far. But seriously, I'd rather think of the good things that will come out of it. I think you should try reading more about the LHC before thinking this. I read there were many security tests and they worked on this shit for 5 years. Cheer up ^^.
I'll get a sig... Someday...
Sep 22, 2008 2:23 PM

Feb 2007
Haha, my university newspaper reported on the delays and our involvement on the project. There's with one image with a caption that reads, "A 13,000-ton particle detector is installed in the Large Hardon Collider..."

It's funny though. Doing a search for that quoted part actually brings up other college publications with the exact same image and caption. However, none of those say "Hardon." Wow, great job copying, my school...

Hey...maybe we broke it...
Sep 23, 2008 3:08 AM

May 2008
it's not functional already hahaha
Sep 23, 2008 4:00 AM

Jul 2008
I'm going to laugh so hard if it destroys the world... well, first Ill disappear into a cosmic nothingness. But after that if I have some consciousness that still remains in the universe that hasn't been absorbed into a cosmic emotionless consciousness that only contemplates about why it contemplates... then Ill laugh.
Sep 23, 2008 4:01 AM

Jul 2008
Boomer said:
What's the point of making theories about the end of the world? Wait, I just found the answar-Too see these theories go down in flames and their creatores pissed off.

Sorry if I went too far. But seriously, I'd rather think of the good things that will come out of it. I think you should try reading more about the LHC before thinking this. I read there were many security tests and they worked on this shit for 5 years. Cheer up ^^.

Haha, no problem, I'm just joking anyway ^_^ I am actually very interested in what they'll achieve on this.
Sep 23, 2008 1:56 PM

Jul 2007
gotherx said:

It's only 27km in length with a highly sophisticated system of magnets, cooling and other various devices in order to ensure that it is well maintained. Considering the size of it, a problem was expected, even said so by members of CERN themselves. Quite hard to maintain something of that size and complexity yet so fragile. Applying basic probability or statistics would give you quite a high chance of something breaking.

Sep 23, 2008 3:29 PM

Jun 2007
tr1ggers4d said:
gotherx said:

It's only 27km in length with a highly sophisticated system of magnets, cooling and other various devices in order to ensure that it is well maintained. Considering the size of it, a problem was expected, even said so by members of CERN themselves. Quite hard to maintain something of that size and complexity yet so fragile. Applying basic probability or statistics would give you quite a high chance of something breaking.

Not to mention it's done well to last this long, seeing as it's early days. They weren't ruling out the possibility of something going wrong on the first day, so the fact it made it this far is great. They still have some kinks to iron out, and it's probably better to have some hiccups sooner rather than later.
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Sep 24, 2008 1:43 AM

Apr 2008
Heat it up, then cool it down. Then they gotta do the test they did 2 weeks ago again >.>

Looks like I can enjoy my exams before we all die... lol
Sep 24, 2008 11:23 AM
Jul 2007
sakuko said:
I'm going to laugh so hard if it destroys the world... well, first Ill disappear into a cosmic nothingness. But after that if I have some consciousness that still remains in the universe that hasn't been absorbed into a cosmic emotionless consciousness that only contemplates about why it contemplates... then Ill laugh.

You won't be able to laugh you'll get flushed down that great
Toilet in the sky
Called a black hole.

I will laugh when all the EOTW theories fail, but I already told you guys that.
I'll get a sig... Someday...
Sep 24, 2008 1:41 PM

Jul 2008
the worlds gonna end cuz of it nice job scientist yeshs :P
Oct 4, 2008 9:17 AM

Jun 2007
Flibbertigibbet said:
Lame... It's not going to start back up until April 2009 =(

Well, you know what they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Oct 4, 2008 9:19 AM

May 2008
John Connor will save us, no Worries
Nov 10, 2008 5:01 PM

May 2008
Tachii said:
Would people feel pain when you get sucked (I've no idea if I'm using the correct words to describe this) into a black hole?

Hypothetically speaking.

Aw, god, they helluva will. As you approach to a black hole, the "rate of time flow", if you like, begins to differ greatly. The "clock" in his head and his feet will "tick" at different rates, actually it happens all along the body ---meaning the guy will be torn apart from head to feet as he falls down.

Kaiserpingvin said:
Uuh not really. Nothing can accelerate to a speed greater than that of light, because it takes an infinite amount of energy. And that's pretty complicated to find. Also, no information can move faster than it.

If something already did move at a speed greater than the speed of light (important distinction: it's the speed of light nothing can accelerate to a faster speed than. Light itself often is slower, or - gasp - at quantum fluctuation levels, faster, but that's okay as it doesn't have mass).

I think at least. I hope someone who knows corrects me if I'm wrong (hai thar, Sakinho).

Einstein's relativity implies nothing with mass can move at speed equal or greater than speed of light (infinite energy is not something physical, that is to say impossible. This is why we assume 0 for probability amplitudes of states with infinite energy, and able to predict correct results). And for those without mass, theey go at c. There are many things than can move faster than speed of light. A shadow of an ant, or wave function collapse. They all get along fine with relativity and the rest of the physics because they do not violate causality.
Einstein equations are classical physics, however. Quantum mechanically there's some amplitude for light going faster or slower it's "usual" speed, but on a "long run", it's c. This is nothing unique to light: average quantum mechanical observables, and you get what you expect classically. (as long as it has a classical counterpart, such as speed. ---you can ignore the rest of the parenthesis--- Spin, for instance has no classical counterpart. It's discrete, relativistic, quantum mechanical ---it is nasty. You don't even expect such a thing exists classically! Technically, you cannot write down a Poisson bracket for it and use Dirac's quantization rule. Anyway.)

As for the micro black holes... Hawking radiation predicts that the rate of "evaporation" increases as the mass gets smaller. The amplitude for you to walk through wall is likely to be greater than earth being swallowed by a micro-black hole. Painful facts ---not that i am against fantasies.
salviatiNov 10, 2008 5:57 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.