Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 3, 2007 1:27 PM

Mar 2005
It is unbelievable how much difference Kyoto Animation has made. The first time I saw Kanon, Mai and Shiori were nothing special. Now what do we have, we have Mai's Honey Bear and Chubby Racoon, her quiet demeanor and brilliant one-liners, and we have Shiori's new insanely cute kohai personality. they really took the whole underclassmen thing and gave her a schoolgirl crush of epic kawaiiness.

and remake indeed, the resolution of Shiori arc is extremely different from the first time. i remember the toei version could not sustain too much enthusiasm during this arc (although both versions contained probably the most poignant quote of the entire anime in this arc "Every person has to depend on someone else to live.") This time this episode was absolutely wonderful. Yuuichi x Jun make an awesome dance show, and everything just felt really good. Congrats KyoAni, you've won the year.

And now that Shiori's arc ended gracefully, next ep we will begin the Nayuki/Ayu arc! Why do we see so much Jun though o_0? Get your tissues ready!
Feb 3, 2007 2:04 PM

Aug 2006
wildebeest0001 said:

the toei version could not sustain too much enthusiasm during this arc (although both versions contained probably the most poignant quote of the entire anime in this arc "Every person has to depend on someone else to live.") This time this episode was absolutely wonderful. Yuuichi x Jun make an awesome dance show, and everything just felt really good. Congrats KyoAni, you've won the year.

And now that Shiori's arc ended gracefully, next ep we will begin the Nayuki/Ayu arc! Why do we see so much Jun though o_0? Get your tissues ready!

Well, the Toei version was only 12 episodes, so there's only so much that they could do in that short amount of time. Don't get me wrong I really like Kanon 2006, but since it's a remake I know everything that's going to happen. They really didn't try to stray too far from the final results of each arc from the original, so I'm not that enthused when watching it. Although I find it more comedic than the original but a little less dramatic again since you know what's going to happen, although they try to add in variants but the end result is the same. I liked how the original ended the Makoto arc as opposed to Kanon 2006. I thought the Shiori arc ending was okay but not great, they could've done much more. It doesn't feel like an ending at all (obviously, because well all know what's going to happen to Shiori unless they stray from the original). They should've killed Shiori off when the clock struck twelve, which would've made the series more dramatic and memorable (although, I really wouldn't want to see that happen, but it would've made the series better I think :P). However, unless they kill Shiori off in the next episode, we all know how the series is going to end, which kind of takes the fun out of it. Again, don't get me wrong it's a great series nonetheless!
zanmato666Feb 3, 2007 2:08 PM
Feb 3, 2007 2:12 PM

Mar 2005
zanmato666 said:
For my best anime of the year so far would be Death Note since it's more original, intellectual and most important of all, you can't guess what's going to happen next like you can with Kanon 2006.
lol it's very ironic that you named Death Note as something where you don't know what's going to happen next since that's the anime that's getting ruined for a lot of ppl because they read the manga.

I think Kanon shines despite knowing the ending though. It's great because even though I've seen the first, I'm still really enjoying it.

Besides, the end really not as important as the path (except the Ayu arc). You cannot deny that this entire episode was never in teh first series, and was much better executed. Nor did you see Mai and Sayuri's backstory the first time around. Yes they have the same endings (and I really think they should go with a Nayuki ending, but that's highly unlikely), but make no mistake, this is definitely new stuff.

Oh and Makoto's arc is definitely ended. Don't be fooled with that last pic of Makoto, it's only symbolic.

They should've killed Shiori off when the clock struck twelve, which would've made the series more dramatic and memorable

I disagree. That would have made it too contrived and unauthentic. Like I said, it really doesn't matter if she dies or not. It's the journey that's important. Probably the most important theme in Kanon is to make the most out of the days you have living, because you can die anytime. We see this happen with all the girls.
kei-cloneFeb 3, 2007 2:15 PM
Feb 3, 2007 2:22 PM

Aug 2006
wildebeest0001 said:

Besides, the end really not as important as the path (except the Ayu arc). You cannot deny that this entire episode was never in teh first series, and was much better executed. Nor did you see Mai and Sayuri's backstory the first time around. Yes they have the same endings (and I really think they should go with a Nayuki ending, but that's highly unlikely), but make no mistake, this is definitely new stuff.

I'm not denying the new scenes. That's what I love most about the remake that it has entirely new scenes and that's what I watch it for. But to me it's like watching the Super Bowl and already knowing the outcome, you just don't get the full experience.

LOL, I edited out that Death Note thing a while ago, I'm not sure how you got it. But I don't read manga for the same reasons Xinil said (no emotion etc.).

P.S. To all you Kanon fanboys, please don't send me any death threats, I gave the series a 10 btw :P. Although I would give the series an 11 if Yuuichi ends up with someone other than Ayu (since she annoys that CRAP out of me!) like Shiori (if she lives ^O^), Nayuki (incest anyone?), Mai (my personal choice ^_^), Kaori (I also like this pairing), Sayuri (Aha~ha) ... Akiko (well incest is already a theme in this anime) ....... Jun (LMAO, hey anything is possible :P) anyone!
zanmato666Feb 3, 2007 3:36 PM
Feb 3, 2007 4:50 PM

Jan 2007
i don't know how KyoAni does it but thats 3 for 3, not very often that I like all the story arcs in an anime.

My personal choice is sayuri
Feb 3, 2007 7:06 PM

Mar 2005
zanmato666 said:
wildebeest0001 said:

I'm not denying the new scenes. That's what I love most about the remake that it has entirely new scenes and that's what I watch it for. But to me it's like watching the Super Bowl and already knowing the outcome, you just don't get the full experience.

LOL, I edited out that Death Note thing a while ago, I'm not sure how you got it. But I don't read manga for the same reasons Xinil said (no emotion etc.).

P.S. To all you Kanon fanboys, please don't send me any death threats, I gave the series a 10 btw :P. Although I would give the series an 11 if Yuuichi ends up with someone other than Ayu (since she annoys that CRAP out of me!) like Shiori (if she lives ^O^), Nayuki (incest anyone?), Mai (my personal choice ^_^), Kaori (I also like this pairing), Sayuri (Aha~ha) ... Akiko (well incest is already a theme in this anime) ....... Jun (LMAO, hey anything is possible :P) anyone!

oh god plz not Makoto though...personally I'd choose Nayuki. God I so wanted a Nayuki ending.

yea i saw you gave it a 10. I'm not ragging on you or anything it's more for discussion. I think one of the things KyoAni did to help the ppl who've seen it is put in little hints and foreshadowing, things you don't notice if you've never seen it before but quite pleasant if you have.

lol personally I think we should have had less Makoto and more Shiori. In both series Makoto's arc was by far my least favorite. I think Makoto's arc shouldn't have been first cuz that made the series misleadingly boring.
Feb 3, 2007 7:44 PM

Oct 2006
What?! i think it needed more makoto and less everything else Needs more auu! :D
Dec 13, 2007 2:21 PM

Nov 2007
Who needs uguu~ or auuu~? I say moar Mai!

honey bear? honey bear? hahahahha.

Just say chubby raccoon to Makoto xD
Dec 13, 2007 3:00 PM

Jul 2007
They should have just fed all the other character's to Mai, and continued the series by having Mai take over the world. It would have been better that way, I think...
Dec 13, 2007 4:33 PM

Mar 2005
Mai is no match for zombie Nayuki XD
Feb 1, 2008 10:02 AM

Oct 2007
The alarm clock returns
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2008 2:55 PM
Oct 2007
Beautiful...
Mar 23, 2008 4:41 PM

Feb 2008
Kiefferdenn said:
Beautiful...

Idd..

Mar 26, 2008 8:26 PM

Jun 2007
Ahahah, Yuuichi and Kitagawa dancing was simply hilarious! I about died laughing.

At least Kaori finally came around. Thank goodness for that! Very touching scene, her finally calling Shiori her little sister.

The end made me a little teary, but no actual tears shed... still, it was a wonderful, touching episode.
Mar 27, 2008 6:56 PM

Dec 2007
It was pretty good, could've been better, I don't really know how it could've been better but it could've.

#NBHNC
Apr 9, 2008 1:25 AM

Sep 2007
Tears were shed. What an awesome show this is.

Loved how they emphasized the clock striking midnight... a throwback to the earlier episode where Yuuichi described Shirori as Cinderella... a Cinderella who couldn't attend the ball.

I've really enjoyed every arc of this show. I'm expecting something wonderful from this last one, as well, since Nayuki and Ayu are both awesome.
Apr 30, 2008 6:45 PM

Nov 2007
this show is beyond awesome ^^ there is really so much emotion felt in every single one of the episodes. somehow the emotion always seems to top the previous one.

the whole dancing scene was priceless and then it was so bitter-sweet the fountain scene and she runs off on him.
May 8, 2008 11:41 PM

Mar 2008
I really admire the strength of Yuuichi. At certain points in the anime, when he is quiet, Yuuichi is planning for the next memorable event.

Anyways, the idea of someone close to you dying is getting a little repetitive now. Or is it the execution to blame (or me?)? Does anyone else feel that it was not executed as well as Makoto's death?

Regardless, this was a fun episode. Yuuichi should've known that she was going to leave.
May 28, 2008 5:19 PM

May 2008
cool party.
May 30, 2008 4:36 PM

Jan 2008
Yeh I'd with it to end with Mai, she's most authentic for me (if a girl with sword hunting for deamons can be authentic lol).
Jun 21, 2008 7:51 PM

Jun 2008
yuuichi is like the angel of death so far everyone he has liked has died or almost died... i'm suprised he isn't afraid to get close to some1 anymore...

First Sig built from scratch 2nd overall^^^
Aug 12, 2008 1:18 AM
Feb 2008
why does yuuichi hang out with so many girls? is he just a relatively nice person or not attracted to women?
Sep 18, 2008 8:55 PM
Jul 2018
naikou said:
Tears were shed. What an awesome show this is.

Loved how they emphasized the clock striking midnight... a throwback to the earlier episode where Yuuichi described Shirori as Cinderella... a Cinderella who couldn't attend the ball.

I've really enjoyed every arc of this show. I'm expecting something wonderful from this last one, as well, since Nayuki and Ayu are both awesome.

Wow, thank you for pointing that out. :] I never noticed that before!

I loved this episode, although I didn't quite understand the ending - possibly because I wasn't paying attention. D:
Oct 2, 2008 2:47 PM

Aug 2008
dabazzinator said:
why does yuuichi hang out with so many girls? is he just a relatively nice person or not attracted to women?

Bcuz he's cool? :P
msw said:
Wow... I cried...

Fucking Sad, I suppose it beats out the first arc in that an illness is more believable than supernatural fox-shit...

Not that there was anything wrong with the first arc but this was just amazing...because it made me cry...

I found the first arc to be sadder than Shiori's... meh both were fine!
asandari said:
They should have just fed all the other character's to Mai, and continued the series by having Mai take over the world. It would have been better that way, I think...

Aren't cute girls-holiding-a-sword while hunting down demons so adorable? :3

I didn't get what happened to Shiori in the end tho...
5/5 for being quite emotional!
Oct 31, 2008 8:34 PM

Nov 2007
I really liked Shiori :(, 2nd only to Mai. I want to know more of what happened to her. the party was great.
Nov 7, 2008 6:00 PM
Jun 2008
I want to know what happened to Shiori in the end! =S

Well, indeed it was a good episode, nice party.
Dec 13, 2008 3:20 AM

Jan 2008
Shiori ;___;

But I don't like how it ended, she just....disappeared? Not going to show what happened? :/
Jan 11, 2009 4:42 AM

Mar 2008
Goodbye, Shiori.
Cebola92 said:
I want to know what happened to Shiori in the end! =S

I actually think she made an end to her life. She was almost capable of doing it first and it seemed like she achieved what she wanted. Kaori acknowledged her as her little sister and she made friends. But I guess we'll never know, unless they mention it in the next episode.
Feb 15, 2009 5:44 AM

Feb 2009
The last 3 episodes were adorable!!
This one was both sad and fun!

The Kitagawa/Yuuichi dance was amazing. I couldn't stop laughing for some minutes.
I laughed so much that even teared, and continued tearing until the end of the episode.

As i said in all other arcs, KyoAni made a really good job.
There are much more emotions then in Toei's version.
I'm more and more happy that i decided to see it.
Anime ga daaaai suki!!! Computer Engineering. Japan is awesome!!!
Mar 19, 2009 10:20 PM

Dec 2008
I was little taken back when Shiori said she cut her wrists. So sad.

The birthday party was awesome.
Apr 4, 2009 11:26 AM

Nov 2007
Really good episode. I usually don't like stories about people with deadly illnesses, but Kanon did a good job with Shiori's story. I like that it was just as much about Shiori's feelings for her sister (wanting to reconcile) as with her feelings for Yuuichi. Of the arcs we've seen so far, this one definitely resonated with me most.

(Also, the cheek-kiss was adorable ...)

[avatar from Tales of the Abyss]
Apr 18, 2009 9:42 PM

Nov 2007
omg >< I never thought anything would even come close to the Mai arc when the Shiori arc began I thought it'd be great but no where near Mai but I guess I was proven wrong both these arcs are so full of emotion and incredible script writing no words are wasted no emotion is missed it's just so awesome! Man I love this series ^^"
Apr 24, 2009 7:44 AM

Jan 2009
Wow didn't know Shiori was so emo, thought she was always cheerful and optimistic
Jun 13, 2009 3:12 AM
Apr 2009
Kaori fails so much.

So that's it? She just disappears? Sucks.
Jun 25, 2009 8:53 PM

Jun 2009
Kanon have surpass my expectations... Those arcs can be more memorable then Clannad's...

How should I compare the 2... Boxing...
Kanon packs a lot of jabs, while Clannad Provide several knockout Uppercut. hmmm... If Kanon provide a few more jabs... It may become my favorite anime.

So far, Makoto's arc is the saddest, Mai's arc is the one that leaves the most impact, while Shiori's arc being the most meaningful. (Cherish those around you, value time etc.) None of those pack as big as a punch on me when compare to some Clannad moments. But there is so many of those touching moments O.o

I have yet to feel my eyes go warm from Kanon, the closest being Mai's because of that jump slash off the god knows how many story building... perhaps the most beautifully made scene so far.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2009 12:59 PM
Sep 2009
this episode was so sad, i mean i know the party bit was quite funny but i wonder if shiori ever appears in the anime again, i geuss i'll just have to watch and find out.
Dec 31, 2009 6:53 PM
Dec 2009
I don't understand why Yuuichi left at the end. He looked down, saw where she used to be sitting and then panicked and ran to the vending machines... I don't understant why. Did I miss something important there? Also, she kissed him on the cheek, right?
Mar 3, 2010 12:08 PM

Jan 2010
oh boy mixed feelings alert! :)

this episode was so good i can't even put it to words :p

shiori became my 2nd favorite person from kanon,after Yuiichi
i really hope she will not die,but the chances for a miracle are damn small
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Mar 15, 2010 5:01 AM

Jan 2010
Really nice ep, 5/5.
Wafu~ !
Apr 9, 2010 1:16 PM
Apr 2010
Wow this is such a good anime! One of my all time favourites without a doubt, but I don't understand what was written on the piece of paper at the end of this episode. I'm guessing it was Shiori's finally way of saying goodbye to Yuuichi, but what exactly did she write?
May 2, 2010 2:43 PM

Mar 2010
So, ummmm...
She's dead?
May 14, 2010 4:21 PM

Apr 2010
Noooo!! Please don't die Shiori!!Ever since the fact that Shiori is going to die was stated, I was already hoping for a miraculous recovery at the end of her arc.. Where's the miracle part?? Where's hope?? Mai had those miracles, why can't Shiori have them too.. T_T

As soon as I started watching the show my eyes where already focused on Shiori, her arc was the one I was expecting most of all, good thing I wasn't disappointed..It's a great arc with almost all of my expectations met, but now I'm depressed.. ughh..

I'm gonna lament on my corner for now, need to recover first before continuing the series.. >.<

On another note, it's kinda nice that they didn't show her actually dying, makes it less depressing and maybe there's still hope?? Ok back to my corner for now.. XD
May 18, 2010 11:12 AM

Oct 2009
tinman21 said:
Noooo!! Please don't die Shiori!!Ever since the fact that Shiori is going to die was stated, I was already hoping for a miraculous recovery at the end of her arc.. Where's the miracle part?? Where's hope?? Mai had those miracles, why can't Shiori have them too.. T_T

As soon as I started watching the show my eyes where already focused on Shiori, her arc was the one I was expecting most of all, good thing I wasn't disappointed..It's a great arc with almost all of my expectations met, but now I'm depressed.. ughh..

I'm gonna lament on my corner for now, need to recover first before continuing the series.. >.<

On another note, it's kinda nice that they didn't show her actually dying, makes it less depressing and maybe there's still hope?? Ok back to my corner for now.. XD
Shit happens/World is cruel/unfair.=D I freaked out when she said she cut herself. That's so queer o_O Geez. Well made this is.
May 31, 2010 4:47 PM
Sep 2009
More tears from this episode than with either Makoto or Mai, just when I thought nothing could beat them... well, no, that's not accurate. I'd been putting this off for a couple days, because I knew it would get to me.
Sep 3, 2010 11:33 PM

Aug 2010
yuuichi and kitagawa dancing hahaha :D

shiori's confession about the cutter :'(

shiori kissing yuuichi <3
"Fun things...Happy things...They'll all...They'll all eventually change some day, you know? But can you still love this place?" - Nagisa
Sep 19, 2010 11:36 AM

Aug 2008
Glad Kaori and Shiori reconciled.

I'm also beginning to appreciate characters like Kitagawa more. :3
Nov 18, 2010 1:30 AM
Jul 2018
What....happened?

What was urgent about her spot where she was sitting? And what exactly happened, she just left him there?
Dec 12, 2010 12:03 PM

May 2010
I know I shouldn't have watched this in the evening, now I can't sleep ;_;
Dcmac12 said:
What....happened?

What was urgent about her spot where she was sitting? And what exactly happened, she just left him there?

The sketchbook was on the spot where she was sitting, and she had written "Thank you very much. Good bye." in it.
dedean16Dec 12, 2010 12:07 PM
Jan 29, 2011 8:43 AM

Aug 2010
What a nice episode
Mar 2, 2011 2:40 AM

Oct 2009
Great arc, it was pretty fun, though i wish Shiori wouldn't have run off like that :\
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Kanon (2006) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kei-clone - Dec 15, 2006

57 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 22, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Kanon (2006) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Metty - Jan 30, 2008

63 by metalrain_15 »»
Mar 5, 12:35 AM

Poll: » Kanon (2006) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

162 by asbest0sdust »»
Feb 29, 4:21 AM

» Kanon (2006) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Aokaado - Dec 30, 2006

83 by SailorFairyDxD24 »»
Jan 31, 2:26 PM

Poll: » Kanon (2006) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Metty - Jan 30, 2008

82 by SailorFairyDxD24 »»
Jan 30, 7:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.