Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 19, 2012 10:03 AM

Apr 2010
x5exotic said:
Solkiskey said:
x5exotic said:
My problem is: It pisses me off, when we are talking about an episode of this Hunter x Hunter and someone mentions Naruto or bleach...wouldn't that be annoying? What's that show doing here? Same with the 1999 version, I know it's called HxH, but it's still a different show, has its own direction and art. You wanna discuss that? Create a separate thread..How hard is that? So really who is flaming here? People who mention irrelevant shows.

That's a bad argument. While Naruto and Bleach are completely unrelated to HxH 2011, HxH 1999 is part of the same franchise, thus, it is normal to hear people comparing the new version to the older version.

Umm, no? Sure it's the same franchise. But in no way is the new version obliged to be exactly like the original. This thread discusses how good this episode was as a standalone product and/or as an adaptation of the manga.
You want to compare the versions. Absolutely, but do it on a thread that doesn't read "DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS EPISODE" then you can say it's a "bad argument". Thankyouverymuch.

PS: When I say don't compare it's not necessarily someone bashing the new one for the sake of the old one, it could be the other way around too. Hence my mock comment that made "some guy" here butthurt >.>

@Stormgoddess

I'm sorry wasn't it you that felt the need to check my channel to see what other animes I watch in order to brag about how many animes you watched?
And wasn't it you that was talking like your comments were facts? Yep it was :)
So, who's trolling here?
I never praised this anime this much(unless you STILL don't see the sarcasm in my previous comment), where did you get that? your way of repeating the word "troll" shows how insecure you are when it comes to being called that yourself. Just because you call someone a troll doesn't make your side of the argument stronger, Mr. Facts.

Sincerely, a guy who doesn't have to watch tons of pointless anime in order to have an opinion and doesn't need to make it a fact to feel good about himself. :D

Comparing how this episode was done in the 1999 version to the 2011 version is essentially discussing about the episode. By your logic, we wouldn't be allowed to say that the adaptaton is faithful nor compare this material to its adaptation, the manga.

It's not because the show has different art and direction that they shouldn't be compared, in fact, they should. If they were the same, then it'd be kinda pointless and I would agree with you. Especially since they're the same series with 2011 remake being more faithful to the manga since the manga wasn't that far into the story back then in 1999. Essentially, we're discussing about how the 2011 version is progressing compared to 1999's progression, which is perfectly fine.
Feb 19, 2012 10:17 AM
Jul 2011
I thought this episode had a lot of good things, 4/5...i was just really mad at killua...i reviewed it on my yt channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnjR4nnMD0E
Feb 19, 2012 10:17 AM

May 2010
Kamuki said:
stormgoddess said:
x5exotic said:

I'm sorry wasn't it you that felt the need to check my channel to see what other animes I watch in order to brag about how many animes you watched?
So, who's trolling here?
I never praised this anime this much(unless you STILL don't see the sarcasm in my previous comment), where did you get that? your way of repeating the word "troll" shows how insecure you are when it comes to being called that yourself. Just because you call someone a troll doesn't make your side of the argument stronger, Mr. Facts.

Sincerely, a guy who doesn't have to watch tons of pointless anime in order to have an opinion and doesn't need to make it a fact to feel good about himself. :D

What? The reason why I checked your list was to counter your mindless judgement regarding the old anime, because that remark sounded like it came from someone who knows nothing about anime. But it turned out that it was sarcasm (and you failed at making it sounded sarcastic). I didn't intend to brag about how many animes I've seen. Stop putting words in my mouth. And wasn't it you who first bragged that you've seen the old one 7-8 times?

When did I say that my comments are facts? This is a fckin Discussion. Not a HxH11 Glorifying thread. Of course I'll DISCUSS what I think of this episode, whether it's positive or negative, but I never said that my opinion matters most that it should be a fact. Disagree with my opinions if you feel it. If you expect everyone should endlessly praise this anime and turn a blind-eye to its flaws then you are at the wrong place.

No, it's you who posted a totally unrelated sarcastic remark (and didn't sound sarcastic at all) that is a troll.

It would be fine if you are actually discussing Hunter x Hunter 2011 and not bashing it like you claim to not be doing. At the very least don't make people think you are by posting ridicule like this.

"they're finally starting to learn how to make an anime"

I'm serious about that and that was meant to be a compliment. To me the past episodes were lacking a lot especially in terms of music, animation, directing, etc. hence I said something like that. If you think that's bashing then my bad for not explaining it.
Feb 19, 2012 10:21 AM

Oct 2011
Solkiskey said:
x5exotic said:
Solkiskey said:
x5exotic said:
My problem is: It pisses me off, when we are talking about an episode of this Hunter x Hunter and someone mentions Naruto or bleach...wouldn't that be annoying? What's that show doing here? Same with the 1999 version, I know it's called HxH, but it's still a different show, has its own direction and art. You wanna discuss that? Create a separate thread..How hard is that? So really who is flaming here? People who mention irrelevant shows.

That's a bad argument. While Naruto and Bleach are completely unrelated to HxH 2011, HxH 1999 is part of the same franchise, thus, it is normal to hear people comparing the new version to the older version.

Umm, no? Sure it's the same franchise. But in no way is the new version obliged to be exactly like the original. This thread discusses how good this episode was as a standalone product and/or as an adaptation of the manga.
You want to compare the versions. Absolutely, but do it on a thread that doesn't read "DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS EPISODE" then you can say it's a "bad argument". Thankyouverymuch.

PS: When I say don't compare it's not necessarily someone bashing the new one for the sake of the old one, it could be the other way around too. Hence my mock comment that made "some guy" here butthurt >.>

@Stormgoddess

So, who's trolling here?

Comparing how this episode was done in the 1999 version to the 2011 version is essentially discussing about the episode. By your logic, we wouldn't be allowed to say that the adaptaton is faithful nor compare this material to its adaptation, the manga.

It's not because the show has different art and direction that they shouldn't be compared, in fact, they should. If they were the same, then it'd be kinda pointless and I would agree with you. Especially since they're the same series with 2011 remake being more faithful to the manga since the manga wasn't that far into the story back then in 1999. Essentially, we're discussing about how the 2011 version is progressing compared to 1999's progression, which is perfectly fine.

Actually there is a difference between the manga and the 1999 version. This anime is following the former, I stated that already. Therefore it can be discussed how faithful to the manga episode x is.
Also I don't think it's a bad idea to make a special thread every week comparing a 2011 episode with its 1999 counterpart.
If I were to compare both series then I'd go for the 1999 all the way, but It's not the place.
Also if you noticed, the new fans of this series are enjoying this series very much, what people claim to have lost the "feel" the original had, the HxH are all getting that feeling. Why? Because it's their first time. They've already been there, that's why they don't get the feeling now. But they keep on shoving the series down the new fans' throats.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2012 12:02 PM

Sep 2010
Lol Leorio has been blessed with an amazing luck
Feb 19, 2012 12:55 PM

Sep 2008
I did not like that they skipped most of the fights like that. I wanted to see Hisoka vs Kurapika for example, especially most of the dialogue from the manga. It was also supposed to be the first fight, not Gon's fight. So I really hated the first half of this episode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5aDPg-NrSA&feature=related

Second part was done well though, no complains about Illumi really. Overall decent.
Feb 19, 2012 12:57 PM

Feb 2009
Oh my, Killua my baby. ;;
Feb 19, 2012 1:00 PM

Oct 2011
Mephz said:
I did not like that they skipped most of the fights like that. I wanted to see Hisoka vs Kurapika for example, especially most of the dialogue from the manga. It was also supposed to be the first fight, not Gon's fight. So I really hated the first half of this episode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5aDPg-NrSA&feature=related

Second part was done well though, no complains about Illumi really. Overall decent.

Actually the first fight WAS Hanzo vs Gon and there was no fight in the manga, they only showed Hisoka whispering something to Kurapika
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2012 1:08 PM

Oct 2011
Mephz said:

That was the 1999 series messing up continuity. In the manga, Gon vs. Hanzo is the first fight of the Final Phase and it isn't even fair; it's more akin to torture than a tournament match. But Gon wins and (anticlimactically) passes the Hunter Exam. Shonen tradition dictates that all of the rest of the fights would be shown in succession; it's what Togashi did in Yu Yu Hakusho, after all.

However, wait! A SURPRISE! The chapter published after Gon's "victory" against Hanzo in the first round sees him waking up after the entire Exam has finished. And even when Satotz tells Gon about the battles, Togashi maybe spends a panel or two of non-action scenes describing the rest of the Final Phase--sans Killua's match. What do Killua's match and Gon's match have in common? They were battles of words and wills. No physical fighting happened in either! The protagonists fought their adversaries with their pride and their determination.

This is intentional. Togashi really planned this out in a smart way. I'll have you all know that the arc still hasn't ended--we're far from it.
Feb 19, 2012 1:14 PM

Oct 2011
Is it true that next week there won't be an episode? -_-
Feb 19, 2012 1:15 PM

Nov 2008
Loved this episode and I seriously felt bad for Killua, he was so freaking scared of his brother....

I hope Gon can fix all this
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Feb 19, 2012 1:21 PM
Jun 2010
noonealive said:
Ollyx2OxenFree said:
LOVED THIS EPISODE. At first the bgm was weird to me especially when Killua was getting lectured by his brother about not knowing what he wants. We usually have a barely decent bgm so i ended up enjoying this upgrade. Looks like they found some better bgm and i hope they use it more often. Also don't remember Killua being Jealous of Gon in the other versions but I liked it since it made Killua look like a spoiled brat. He is
Anyways I was really excited to see this episode, I'm not really a huge fan of the next arc but its great too. What i'm waiting for is York Shin...Oh that's gonna be awesome!

Actually the next arc is sort of fun, but the arc right after is really going to set the pace for York shin.

Oh yeah I liked those parts too.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Feb 19, 2012 1:40 PM

Sep 2008
well the dialogue I was especially referring to was what Satoshi said about Gon's father. They skipped that. I checked the manga and it's indeed there. I was clearly mistaken about the order of the fights though, recalled wrongly.

That does not mean I like it though, imo 1999 anime version > the manga in this case. That final exam simply did not feel as fullfilling, really just felt like it was rushed and the mangakaka could not be bothered with it.
MephzFeb 19, 2012 1:47 PM
Feb 19, 2012 1:45 PM
Feb 2012
Mephz said:
well the dialogue I was especially referring to was what Satoshi said about Gon's father. They skipped that. I checked the manga and it's indeed there. I was clearly mistaken about the order of the fights though, recalled wrongly.

That does not mean I like it though, imo 1999 anime version > the manga in this case.

If you look in the preview for the next episode, you can see Satoz and Gon continuing their conversation, so it is obvious the animators moved Satoshi's talk about Ging to the next episode because showing it this episode would mean they have to end in the middle of Killua's fight which would be a bad place to end.
Feb 19, 2012 1:46 PM

Oct 2011
That is 2 chapters away...and it was shown in the preview, there are 2 convos with Satotz....
Feb 19, 2012 1:48 PM

Oct 2011
ankifeather said:
Mephz said:

That does not mean I like it though, imo 1999 anime version > the manga in this case.

If you look in the preview for the next episode, you can see Satoz and Gon continuing their conversation, so it is obvious the animators moved Satoshi's talk about Ging to the next episode because showing it this episode would mean they have to end in the middle of Killua's fight which would be a bad place to end.

Actually it happens after everything, before everyone's about to leave Gon asks him about Ging's license he picked from Kaito
Feb 19, 2012 1:49 PM

Sep 2008
ankifeather said:
Mephz said:

its supposed to be said before Gon takes the hunter card from him.
Feb 19, 2012 1:49 PM
Jun 2010
Solkiskey said:
x5exotic said:

This

Although I hate when people compare and complain about how "bad" this version is compared to the original one, it's going to happen. I've had very little complaints from this version even though the original was cool because of the darker atmosphere and added content because I still love this version. It's the highlight, as far as anime goes, for my week. We should focus more on this version but of course hunter x hunter veterans are going to compare/complain.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Feb 19, 2012 2:03 PM

Oct 2011
Ollyx2OxenFree said:

This

Although I hate when people compare and complain about how "bad" this version is compared to the original one, it's going to happen. I've had very little complaints from this version even though the original was cool because of the darker atmosphere and added content because I still love this version. It's the highlight, as far as anime goes, for my week. We should focus more on this version but of course hunter x hunter veterans are going to compare/complain.

Well why don't they do it in a 1999 vs 2011 thread? Then this would be 100% discussion about this very episode while they can complain elsewhere.
Feb 19, 2012 2:25 PM

Aug 2007
Finally they had a great tone for one of these episodes. One of the reasons why I love HxH so much. :D All my worries are all wash away and now I just have to sit back and wait for the arcs I can't wait to be animated now to come already.

Is the show really not airing the upcoming week? The way they ended the episode actually got to me. I really want to see the next episode and a week break will just be grueling to me now. :(
Feb 19, 2012 3:36 PM

Jan 2012
DivineTrinity said:
Finally they had a great tone for one of these episodes. One of the reasons why I love HxH so much. :D All my worries are all wash away and now I just have to sit back and wait for the arcs I can't wait to be animated now to come already.

Is the show really not airing the upcoming week? The way they ended the episode actually got to me. I really want to see the next episode and a week break will just be grueling to me now. :(

Yeah, there is no episode next week because it's a Japanese holiday during that time. So sadly, we have to wait 2 whole weeks. =[]
Feb 19, 2012 3:55 PM

Oct 2009
Hell YEA !!! few NEW proper bgm ! Finally ! Rejoice !
I had high hopes since the new bgm started at the start of the episode. and yea ! I was right.

Please just keep it this way.
Next week -> no Hunter x Hunter ! and I'm craving for the next episode already

Feb 19, 2012 4:03 PM
Feb 2012
noonealive said:
DivineTrinity said:

Yeah, there is no episode next week because it's a Japanese holiday during that time. So sadly, we have to wait 2 whole weeks. =[]

Actually its nothing to do with the holiday, other animes on that day are still broadcasting

It's because NTV got the rights to live broadcast a Japan Marathon race and te race is at the time when HxH is usually shown
Feb 19, 2012 4:49 PM

Jan 2012
ankifeather said:
noonealive said:
DivineTrinity said:

Actually its nothing to do with the holiday, other animes on that day are still broadcasting

It's because NTV got the rights to live broadcast a Japan Marathon race and te race is at the time when HxH is usually shown

O ok, that sucks, it had to be around the time of HxH, what are the odds... lol
Feb 19, 2012 6:40 PM

Jun 2010
After weeks of enduring the drastic changes from the 1999 version, I finally decided to drop this. I don't want to bitch about it but I just want to point out that this version is really half-assed IMHO, BGM that doesn't fit the scenes, art that is too clean that made it look plain, and cutting scenes from the previous version (I am not really sure if those were fillers, but still, why remove them if they make the anime better?). I guess the main reason I'm dropping this show is the voicing for Illumi which made him sound haughty rather than dark (Yes, I'm an Illumi fan).
Feb 19, 2012 8:07 PM

Oct 2007
The characterization in this episode was too rushed. We went from Killua being jealous of Gon, almost to the point of anger, in the previous episode to wanting nothing more than to be Gon's friend. Characters need reasons to be realistic. No one changes their mind about a person like that.

I did love the atmosphere with Illumi, but as been said, the whole thing felt rushed. The suspense and terror that should have been there wasn't. In my opinion, both the 1998 anime and the manga outrank the emotion in that scene by a long shot.
Feb 19, 2012 10:12 PM

Oct 2011
AriSky said:
The characterization in this episode was too rushed. We went from Killua being jealous of Gon, almost to the point of anger, in the previous episode to wanting nothing more than to be Gon's friend. Characters need reasons to be realistic. No one changes their mind about a person like that.

I did love the atmosphere with Illumi, but as been said, the whole thing felt rushed. The suspense and terror that should have been there wasn't. In my opinion, both the 1998 anime and the manga outrank the emotion in that scene by a long shot.

He was being manipulated, where is the rush in that? He was a bit jealous...what do you want him to do? Attack Gon, leave town and have all his buddies try to retrieve him? Fail and than spend the next 250 episodes trying to bring him back from the dark side? He just thought he should've been higher, they didn't say that he held a grude or anything, and then comes Illumi and does what we see.
Feb 20, 2012 12:00 AM

Oct 2007
x5exotic said:
He was being manipulated, where is the rush in that? He was a bit jealous...what do you want him to do? Attack Gon, leave town and have all his buddies try to retrieve him? Fail and than spend the next 250 episodes trying to bring him back from the dark side? He just thought he should've been higher, they didn't say that he held a grude or anything, and then comes Illumi and does what we see.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, given what's to come. I know you have a grudge against those of us who compare the different versions of the series, and you're fully within your right to do so, just as I am within my right to critique.

As for your questions, no, I don't expect Killua to do any of those things. I also didn't expect him to waffle so quickly regarding Gon. What was presented in this version of the series wasn't convincing as to what happened. The character development didn't flow. So many people find it difficult to separate what they know is supposed to happen from what does happen and hence how to feel about individual versions. I'm judging this series by itself and then comparing it to the other versions.

And it's very easy to rush a manipulation. You wouldn't accept it if someone walked up to Leorio out of the blue and told him they had Pietoro and would return him if Leorio became their slave. Yes, there's motivation there, but it needs more than that simple statement. You'd want to know what's going through Leorio's head. How he deliberates. I think what was missing from this version was more insight into Killua's head. The viewer wasn't privvy to even the slightest bit of decision-making that led to his responses to Illumi. There didn't seem to be any lingering emotion that would have led to the murder of Bodoro. Perhaps this came from the softening of Illumi's art.

There's nothing wrong with any of those things on their own, but together they don't add up. And that's the way I see it.
Feb 20, 2012 12:06 AM

Oct 2011
punkvolume1 said:
After weeks of enduring the drastic changes from the 1999 version, I finally decided to drop this. I don't want to bitch about it but I just want to point out that this version is really half-assed IMHO, BGM that doesn't fit the scenes, art that is too clean that made it look plain, and cutting scenes from the previous version (I am not really sure if those were fillers, but still, why remove them if they make the anime better?). I guess the main reason I'm dropping this show is the voicing for Illumi which made him sound haughty rather than dark (Yes, I'm an Illumi fan).

A lot of fans of the 1999 series are extremely impeded by their knowledge of what comes next. This episode followed the manga almost exactly, but those who became fans of the series with the Nippon Animation adaptation, despite all of its changes and flaws, are watching Madhouse's and comparing it to their own favorite.

To me, it makes little sense to criticize the newer version--especially when it's been a very great adaptation of the manga (it's ratings and merchandising push show how much Japan is enjoying the show) and conveying everything Togashi intended to do with his manga. What the 1999 series didn't have in the match between Killua and Illumi is the element of surprise. This is the first time in the 2011 series when you realize that Killua is actually a nice character--prior to this episode, you aren't supposed to understand this until now. But in the 1999 series, viewers know this by episode 12 because of a filler (and the director's views on morality).

Killua also never mentions killing to be a "bad" thing, only that he's sick of doing it. He doesn't criticize his family's trade during any point in the 2011 series and that's one of the ways how the two characters are different.

And for those of you lamenting the loss of Kurapika's fight against Hisoka in the anime, that's actually a good thing from a directorial standpoint. In the manga, their battle is reduced to three panels of non-combative scenes. Satotz only tells you that the two scrap for a little bit before Hisoka whispers in Kurapika's ear and forfeits. The important thing about the Final Phase isn't the fights--it's like Gon said; it's a battle of wills.

Finally, the Final Phase is important because of the dialogue. The matches of Gon vs Hanzo and Killua vs Illumi are almost completely nonviolent, but are intended to set up important things about each character that you'll see in episodes to come. This series of chapters in the manga was entitled "Light and Darkness," and one of the manga's cover pages was this:

Pay attention to Gon and Killua. Ask yourself why did Togashi have Gon pass and Killua fail? What did they do right in their respective matches and what did they do wrong? Were there other options or alternative solutions? And how would they have solved the matter in a more effective way?
Toto_y_MoiFeb 20, 2012 12:29 AM
Feb 20, 2012 12:48 AM

Oct 2011
AriSky said:
x5exotic said:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, given what's to come. I know you have a grudge against those of us who compare the different versions of the series, and you're fully within your right to do so, just as I am within my right to critique.

As for your questions, no, I don't expect Killua to do any of those things. I also didn't expect him to waffle so quickly regarding Gon. What was presented in this version of the series wasn't convincing as to what happened. The character development didn't flow. So many people find it difficult to separate what they know is supposed to happen from what does happen and hence how to feel about individual versions. I'm judging this series by itself and then comparing it to the other versions.

And it's very easy to rush a manipulation. You wouldn't accept it if someone walked up to Leorio out of the blue and told him they had Pietoro and would return him if Leorio became their slave. Yes, there's motivation there, but it needs more than that simple statement. You'd want to know what's going through Leorio's head. How he deliberates. I think what was missing from this version was more insight into Killua's head. The viewer wasn't privvy to even the slightest bit of decision-making that led to his responses to Illumi. There didn't seem to be any lingering emotion that would have led to the murder of Bodoro. Perhaps this came from the softening of Illumi's art.

There's nothing wrong with any of those things on their own, but together they don't add up. And that's the way I see it.

Actually it was already known that Killua doesn't care about the exam anymore, by episode 12 he stated that if he were to pass, he wanted Gon to be alongside him and was ready to fight the others for him. He just told Illumi how he dislikes their lifestyle- Well, he did escape and plan to hunt them down as a hunter at one point- and that wants to be friends with Gon. This also is what happened in the manga IIRC
Feb 20, 2012 1:21 AM
Jun 2009
I don't want to get into any argument with anyone but I like to come on here and read others reaction to THIS episode and seeing only crap related to the 1999 version and how it's superior blows. I haven't seen the 1999 version and I probably never will, so reading all this crap about it bores me to death. I want to know the reaction of THIS episode, not THIS episode compared to another.

I'm not trying to get between anyone but seriously, 5 pages worth guys? I've got to agree with the guy who said make another thread about comparison. I certainly wouldn't go anywhere near it and all the raging about voices/BGM/lighting/whatever can go in there. However, from a 2011 viewer only, I found this episode to be amazing.
Feb 20, 2012 3:51 AM
Feb 2012
AriSky said:
I think what was missing from this version was more insight into Killua's head. The viewer wasn't privvy to even the slightest bit of decision-making that led to his responses to Illumi. There didn't seem to be any lingering emotion that would have led to the murder of Bodoro. Perhaps this came from the softening of Illumi's art.

There is probably nothing much going through Killua's head because he is already hyptonised by Illumi...i thought the anime made that pretty clear by showing those swirls in Illumi's eyes..as for how Illumi hyptonised him is explained later in the Chimera Arc

Toto_y_Moi said:

To me, it makes little sense to criticize the newer version--especially when it's been a very great adaptation of the manga (it's ratings and merchandising push show how much Japan is enjoying the show) and conveying everything Togashi intended to do with his manga.

HunterxHunter 2011 ratings is around 3-5%, which is only average at best.
Its DVD sales, however, have been absymal, which leaves me worried about its future.

While its true this adaptation faithfully follows the dialogue and scenes in the manga, that doesn't mean it should escape criticism since it can't follow elements that's not in the manga ie BGM, colour, lighting and animated action. You dont have to watch the 1999 version or even read the manga to evaluate whether the BGM or lighting fits the events. If I am watching an anime where people are dying left and right, I would find bright lighting and cheerful music jarring, and that is a valid criticism on its own without anything to do with the 1999 version.

Even the director and music director admits in interviews they took a 'for kids' orientation for HxH and have received criticisms about the overly playful music and tone, and how they're considering changing the atmosphere in future arcs. It's great they are actually listening to criticisms and you can tell in this episode that they're adding in darker music and blood. People criticise because they actually care about this show and want to see it do good, and it leads to improvements if the animators take them into consideration.
Feb 20, 2012 6:45 AM

Oct 2011
ankifeather said:
Its DVD sales, however, have been absymal, which leaves me worried about its future.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-02-04/japanese-animation-tv-ranking-january-23-29

It typically reaches the top 10. I don't think it has fallen below a 3.8% since the series first hit 4%. That means it's doing better than literally every other anime series that started in the Fall and Winter. Though I don't know anything about the DVD sales.

ankifeather said:
While its true this adaptation faithfully follows the dialogue and scenes in the manga, that doesn't mean it should escape criticism since it can't follow elements that's not in the manga ie BGM, colour, lighting and animated action. You dont have to watch the 1999 version or even read the manga to evaluate whether the BGM or lighting fits the events. If I am watching an anime where people are dying left and right, I would find bright lighting and cheerful music jarring, and that is a valid criticism on its own without anything to do with the 1999 version.

Even the director and music director admits in interviews they took a 'for kids' orientation for HxH and have received criticisms about the overly playful music and tone, and how they're considering changing the atmosphere in future arcs. It's great they are actually listening to criticisms and you can tell in this episode that they're adding in darker music and blood. People criticise because they actually care about this show and want to see it do good, and it leads to improvements if the animators take them into consideration.

I think you misconstrued the point of that interview. I was the one who translated it, so let me clarify: The director said that the adaptation would be aimed towards children, but this doesn't mean that he was admitting that the older version wasn't. On the contrary--it's very easy to tell that the 1999 series was aimed towards the same audience. Pay attention to the filler in the first 44 episodes. The dialogue is often much more childish than anything you'd find in the Hunter x Hunter manga (and consequently, the 2011 anime series).

And due to technological limitations in animation at the time, fans have misconstrued dark the lighting in the 1999 series to be "a mature, artistic choice" instead of an accident. Look at the colors the series was animated with on cels--the colors are clearly much more vibrant than they are in the series. This is because the 1999 series was animated by photographing these plastic cel sheets; animated series (prior to the advent of digital animation) used to all be done this way and look differently from the creator's intent. You can see examples of this just by looking at cels of any traditionally animated anime series from the same time period.

What the 1999 series ended up being was a series that found an older audience as it continued. It started getting more fans as the series progressed into the the Yorknew City arc. Another common misconception of Hunter x Hunter is that it's a dark series from the beginning. This is a mistake that the director of the 2011 series openly acknowledges. Hunter x Hunter isn't a show that starts off somber and melancholy and dark, but rather one that becomes these things in the middle of its first major arc. It's supposed to be "fun"--look at Togashi's chapter cover pages and volume covers in the beginning of the series: they're cutesy and "childish." Even the art in the manga could be considered as such. But the tone of the series itself changes once Gon sets out into the real world. Despite Togashi's propensity to draw "cute" characters, they often do very serious and grave things. The action is brutal and violent.

The director, Kazuhiro Furuhashi, excels at directing dark works. If you've seen Rurouni Kenshin before, he is to thank for the direction in those fantastic OVAs and the Kyoto arc. However, the manga hadn't progressed very far when he began to helm HxH. I believe that the Heavens Arena arc was close to conclusion. It was definitely still a kid's show (the first 40 episodes or so are almost entirely bloodless), but started pointing towards something darker. Furuhashi thought that Hunter x Hunter had potential and he wanted to take the series in a direction he felt was even deeper than what he had thus far read in the manga.

He was interested in characters like Mito and her conflict in letting Gon go, so he created his own backstory for her (which despite how great it is, unfortunately ended up majorly conflicting with the creator's own). Furuhashi loved Gon's struggle to find his father and wanted to explore what drove him. He saw Killua as a character on the verge of either traveling to the "dark side" and doing "bad" things (ergo, killing) or healing. He was interested in Kurapika's conquest for revenge conflicting with his personal morality and suggests that the character may have even been indoctrinated by his own clan. And Furuhashi wanted to emphasize friendship--the main characters are already all close friends in the 1999 series after episode 7. These were all off-base from the ways in which Togashi wanted to develop his characters; surprisingly ends up focusing on the protagonists' psychologies in a much more unconventional way.

This is not necessarily bad or childish, but it does indicate that Furuhashi didn't recognize the creator's own intent. He doesn't realize his mistake until after the manga's content actually gets dark, at which point he becomes unconcerned with adding a significant amount of his own filler material (it still exists, though in a much more subdued and fitting manner than in the first arc) and solely attempting to enhance the HxH experience through artistry.

Fun Fact: Masashi Kishimoto, creator of Naruto, in particular seems to been influenced largely by the first Hunter x Hunter anime series (the manga as well, though to a lesser extent). This is visible because not only has Kishimoto stated his influences overtly, but also because many of the themes present only in the 1999 animated series make very similar appearances in his own work.

The only people criticizing the tone of the 2011 series are the ones who are either ignorant to the tone of the manga or those who prefer the 1999 series' as the definitive Hunter x Hunter--even more definitive than the manga upon which the show was based. As far as the BGM goes, it has been extremely apt and fitting for a majority of the scenes. Despite liking the old series' soundtrack, I have rarely found the 2011 series' score to be out of place.
Feb 20, 2012 8:59 AM
Jun 2010
Luminaire said:
I don't want to get into any argument with anyone but I like to come on here and read others reaction to THIS episode and seeing only crap related to the 1999 version and how it's superior blows. I haven't seen the 1999 version and I probably never will, so reading all this crap about it bores me to death. I want to know the reaction of THIS episode, not THIS episode compared to another.

I'm not trying to get between anyone but seriously, 5 pages worth guys? I've got to agree with the guy who said make another thread about comparison. I certainly wouldn't go anywhere near it and all the raging about voices/BGM/lighting/whatever can go in there. However, from a 2011 viewer only, I found this episode to be amazing.

I see where you're coming from but you have a little more bias since you haven't seen the first series. You don't know how HxH veterans who have high hopes for a new adaptation feel when they're expectations aren't met. I love this version and the old one even if they don't give off the EXACT same feeling because i can have two different versions of one great series. I understand where you're coming from though because I, at the very least, would like to see some discussions about how great THIS episode was, not how bad it was in comparison. I like to at least try to be unbiased about my critiques on something but of course you'll see people complaining because of their nostalgia of a great masterpiece. Don't worry man, I'm assuming that when we get deeper into the series that the complaining will lessen. If you've been here since the beginning there were way more people bitching about this new adaptation in the beginning and it has seem to cool down assuming that they dropped it/came to terms with CHANGE.

Feb 20, 2012 9:07 AM

Oct 2011
I've watched both, and I'm not being whiny about it...anymore.
Feb 20, 2012 9:18 AM

Sep 2008
Luminaire said:

we don't really care what you want. If you don't want the old series compared to the new one, don't read these threads then. It will happen everytime until greed island arc is over.
Feb 20, 2012 9:23 AM

Oct 2011
Mephz said:
Luminaire said:

we don't really care what you want. If you don't want the old series compared to the new one, don't read these threads then. It will happen everytime until greed island arc is over.

Judging from your comments, you haven't even read the manga. And yes we do care, it's annoying, next episode I'll start a comparison thread myself, and there better not be any bitching on the main discussion thread.
Feb 20, 2012 10:04 AM

Jul 2009
I like the fast pace in this ep as we're quickly going to move onto the next significant storyline.
Still, looking forward to seeing more Illumi whilst this storyline concludes.

Feb 20, 2012 10:11 AM

Feb 2012
Toto_y_Moi said:
ankifeather said:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-02-04/japanese-animation-tv-ranking-january-23-29

It typically reaches the top 10. I don't think it has fallen below a 3.8% since the series first hit 4%. That means it's doing better than literally every other anime series that started in the Fall and Winter. Though I don't know anything about the DVD sales.

ankifeather said:

I think you misconstrued the point of that interview. I was the one who translated it, so let me clarify: The director said that the adaptation would be aimed towards children, but this doesn't mean that he was admitting that the older version wasn't. On the contrary--it's very easy to tell that the 1999 series was aimed towards the same audience. Pay attention to the filler in the first 44 episodes. The dialogue is often much more childish than anything you'd find in the Hunter x Hunter manga (and consequently, the 2011 anime series).

And due to technological limitations in animation at the time, fans have misconstrued dark the lighting in the 1999 series to be "a mature, artistic choice" instead of an accident. Look at the colors the series was animated with on cels--the colors are clearly much more vibrant than they are in the series. This is because the 1999 series was animated by photographing these plastic cel sheets; animated series (prior to the advent of digital animation) used to all be done this way and look differently from the creator's intent. You can see examples of this just by looking at cels of any traditionally animated anime series from the same time period.

What the 1999 series ended up being was a series that found an older audience as it continued. It started getting more fans as the series progressed into the the Yorknew City arc. Another common misconception of Hunter x Hunter is that it's a dark series from the beginning. This is a mistake that the director of the 2011 series openly acknowledges. Hunter x Hunter isn't a show that starts off somber and melancholy and dark, but rather one that becomes these things in the middle of its first major arc. It's supposed to be "fun"--look at Togashi's chapter cover pages and volume covers in the beginning of the series: they're cutesy and "childish." Even the art in the manga could be considered as such. But the tone of the series itself changes once Gon sets out into the real world. Despite Togashi's propensity to draw "cute" characters, they often do very serious and grave things. The action is brutal and violent.

The director, Kazuhiro Furuhashi, excels at directing dark works. If you've seen Rurouni Kenshin before, he is to thank for the direction in those fantastic OVAs and the Kyoto arc. However, the manga hadn't progressed very far when he began to helm HxH. I believe that the Heavens Arena arc was close to conclusion. It was definitely still a kid's show (the first 40 episodes or so are almost entirely bloodless), but started pointing towards something darker. Furuhashi thought that Hunter x Hunter had potential and he wanted to take the series in a direction he felt was even deeper than what he had thus far read in the manga.

He was interested in characters like Mito and her conflict in letting Gon go, so he created his own backstory for her (which despite how great it is, unfortunately ended up majorly conflicting with the creator's own). Furuhashi loved Gon's struggle to find his father and wanted to explore what drove him. He saw Killua as a character on the verge of either traveling to the "dark side" and doing "bad" things (ergo, killing) or healing. He was interested in Kurapika's conquest for revenge conflicting with his personal morality and suggests that the character may have even been indoctrinated by his own clan. And Furuhashi wanted to emphasize friendship--the main characters are already all close friends in the 1999 series after episode 7. These were all off-base from the ways in which Togashi wanted to develop his characters; surprisingly ends up focusing on the protagonists' psychologies in a much more unconventional way.

This is not necessarily bad or childish, but it does indicate that Furuhashi didn't recognize the creator's own intent. He doesn't realize his mistake until after the manga's content actually gets dark, at which point he becomes unconcerned with adding a significant amount of his own filler material (it still exists, though in a much more subdued and fitting manner than in the first arc) and solely attempting to enhance the HxH experience through artistry.

Fun Fact: Masashi Kishimoto, creator of Naruto, in particular seems to been influenced largely by the first Hunter x Hunter anime series (the manga as well, though to a lesser extent). This is visible because not only has Kishimoto stated his influences overtly, but also because many of the themes present only in the 1999 animated series make very similar appearances in his own work.

The only people criticizing the tone of the 2011 series are the ones who are either ignorant to the tone of the manga or those who prefer the 1999 series' as the definitive Hunter x Hunter--even more definitive than the manga upon which the show was based. As far as the BGM goes, it has been extremely apt and fitting for a majority of the scenes. Despite liking the old series' soundtrack, I have rarely found the 2011 series' score to be out of place.

I wish you could make a blog or something about H x H. All the info you have and your fair comparisions on that other forum (forgot the name) are always interesting to read! If you ever decide to get one (or if you already have one) then please tell me.
Feb 20, 2012 10:46 AM

May 2009
A perfect episode. I'm getting a much better opinion of this remake now.
In the original series, I never cared for Illumi. Now I was quite charmed by the job the VA did here.
They just avoid any more recaps and we'll be good.
Feb 20, 2012 11:05 AM
Feb 2012
The problem with some of the 1999 fans is that they got things backwards.

They think this 2011 version fails to live up to the 1999 version.

No. No. No.

The 1999 version is the one that fails to stay true to the manga.

It doesn't matter which you LIKE better. That's just your opinion.
But the fact remains, the 2011 version IS more true to the manga.

There are of course parts in the 2011 that differ from the manga
but most of them are due to censoring which was also in the early
episodes of the 1999 version and in case you didn't notice the
2011 version has eased up on the censoring. It probably won't
be as violent as the manga is but neither was the 1999 version...
EVEN at it's most violent the 1999 is not as violent as the manga.

Seriously...the manga is BRUTAL.

But the point still stands that the 2011 version is more true to the manga.
People often complain about the color scheme and the background music
and I imagine many of these people are fans of the 1999 version.
However it is important to remember that the color scheme and music
is what the 1999 director interpreted Hunter x Hunter as.
The 2011 version is simply a different interpretation of color scheme
and music and neither one is necessarily right or wrong. Again,
it's how the director interprets it. Remember folks that manga
is in black and white and without sound.

If you don't get all that then at least get this. This 2011 version was never
meant to be the 1999 version. If you want the 1999 version then watch that.
The 2011 version is meant to be like the manga. So if you must complain,
complain when it fails to live up to the manga. That's what I do.
But thankfully I actually don't have to do it often.

as for the episode itself...

LOVED IT.
Feb 20, 2012 11:20 AM

Jul 2009
mrsticky005 said:
The problem with some of the 1999 fans is that they got things backwards.

They think this 2011 version fails to live up to the 1999 version.

No. No. No.

The 1999 version is the one that fails to stay true to the manga.

It doesn't matter which you LIKE better. That's just your opinion.
But the fact remains, the 2011 version IS more true to the manga.

There are of course parts in the 2011 that differ from the manga
but most of them are due to censoring which was also in the early
episodes of the 1999 version and in case you didn't notice the
2011 version has eased up on the censoring. It probably won't
be as violent as the manga is but neither was the 1999 version...
EVEN at it's most violent the 1999 is not as violent as the manga.

Seriously...the manga is BRUTAL.

But the point still stands that the 2011 version is more true to the manga.
People often complain about the color scheme and the background music
and I imagine many of these people are fans of the 1999 version.
However it is important to remember that the color scheme and music
is what the 1999 director interpreted Hunter x Hunter as.
The 2011 version is simply a different interpretation of color scheme
and music and neither one is necessarily right or wrong. Again,
it's how the director interprets it. Remember folks that manga
is in black and white and without sound.

If you don't get all that then at least get this. This 2011 version was never
meant to be the 1999 version. If you want the 1999 version then watch that.
The 2011 version is meant to be like the manga. So if you must complain,
complain when it fails to live up to the manga. That's what I do.
But thankfully I actually don't have to do it often.

as for the episode itself...

LOVED IT.

There's no particular problem with 'some' of the '99 fan base - no different from 'some' zealous members of the 2011 crowd.
If people prefer the '99 version and don't feel this is a match, that's there decision; they don't have to appreciate this because it's a more accurate adaptation of the original story - there are those who aren't into manga full stop.

Feb 20, 2012 1:07 PM

May 2009
I loved the episode, but did they actually show all the fights in the manga out of curiosity? Or was Gon's "fight" the only one they showed?
Feb 20, 2012 1:40 PM

Mar 2007
^ The anime is basically completely following the manga. Gon's "fight" was the only one drawn in the manga. (And Killua's, which was even less of a fight.)
Feb 20, 2012 1:52 PM

Oct 2011
scytheboy13 said:
I loved the episode, but did they actually show all the fights in the manga out of curiosity? Or was Gon's "fight" the only one they showed?

The fights were summarized in the manga as well, the main points were what happened with Illumi and what Hisoka whispered to Kurapika :)

Although if you want to see Hisoka's fights with Kura and Bodoro, there are filler fights in the 1999 version that might be interesting if you're curious :P
Feb 20, 2012 4:31 PM

Sep 2008
x5exotic: I've read the manga. Twice even, it's just been a while and I've probably read about 200 other manga since then so my mind about certain things can be fuzzy. Also don't think we really care if you are someone else makes the topic, making it does not make it yours.
Feb 20, 2012 4:41 PM

Dec 2009
Why the hell did Leorio and Bodoro even fight if they were already qualified? Doesn't make sense, Killua had lost his second chance already, the death of Bodoro could have been avoided.
Feb 20, 2012 5:25 PM

Aug 2011
Liinah said:
Why the hell did Leorio and Bodoro even fight if they were already qualified? Doesn't make sense, Killua had lost his second chance already, the death of Bodoro could have been avoided.

The tournament moves the loser upward when they lose as I'm sure you noticed. Killua did indeed lose twice but he still has another chance. According to the bracket that is.

Feb 20, 2012 5:31 PM

Dec 2009
Kamuki said:
Liinah said:

The tournament moves the loser upward when they lose as I'm sure you noticed. Killua did indeed lose twice but he still has another chance. According to the bracket that is.

Yeah, I remembered that a few minutes ago and I was about to edit the post, but you were faster, thank you for pointing it out anyways. XD i guess i was almost sleeping while writing that. If Killua didn't have killed Bodoro, he would probably end up fighting Leorio - if he had happened to lose -. Hmmm, wouldn't want that.

Anyways, the arc I was waiting for is finally going to begin. <3

edit: wrong word, oh well.
LiinahFeb 21, 2012 3:30 AM
Feb 20, 2012 6:17 PM
Feb 2012
SeraSera said:
Toto_y_Moi said:
ankifeather said:

Hunter x Hunter isn't a show that starts off somber and melancholy and dark, but rather one that becomes these things in the middle of its first major arc. It's supposed to be "fun"--look at Togashi's chapter cover pages and volume covers in the beginning of the series: they're cutesy and "childish." Even the art in the manga could be considered as such. But the tone of the series itself changes once Gon sets out into the real world. Despite Togashi's propensity to draw "cute" characters, they often do very serious and grave things. The action is brutal and violent.

The only people criticizing the tone of the 2011 series are the ones who are either ignorant to the tone of the manga or those who prefer the 1999 series' as the definitive Hunter x Hunter--even more definitive than the manga upon which the show was based.

You only compare anime ratings of the same timeslot and channel type to tell whether its good. Many anime airs on late-night timeslot or TX which is not nationally broadcasted like HxH's NTV, but in certain cities only. For these animes, DVD/merchandising sale matters more than ratings, as it will rarely be above 2%. Anime of similar timeslot/channel type to HxH are Onepiece and Toriko which are currently 9-11% and 6-8% respectively. Of course these two have been around longer so their ratings are higher, which is why I didn't say HxH ratings are bad , but average. But NTV has never shown anime in the Hxh timeslot before,while previous variety show can gain a 7+% rating easily, so unless HxH grow to 7% rating by the end of the scheduled 45+ episode, NTV may very well return to variety shows. There's still hope to achieve that since the 1999 version on Fuji averaged 9% ratings.

The by age/gender breakdown ratings of HxH shows that the majority of HxH viewers are 35+ yr old males (4.3 rating), and is weakest in the "Kid"( 1.2 rating) and "20-34 yr-old Male" (0.4 rating) categories. Thus, Madhouse attempt to appeal to Kids isn't quite working yet, have to do something about the 20-34 yr old as they are big market for DVD and currently are relying on the older audience, who unfortunately will be burdened by their memories of the 1999 version.

As you put it yourself, Togashi draws cute characters that do brutal things, and from the first exam there are people dying with heads chopped off and blood flying everywhere. So to me the manga started straight off with 'cute' characters in a brutal and dangerous world already, not after the exam. The only 'fun' exam was the 2nd exam,while the remaining exam all have serious situations. Maintaining Togashi's 'cutesy' design and using a darker tone don't conflict at all, Magica Madoka is a good example of how the two can blend in perfectly. I don't expect the tone to be as sombre and melancholy as the 1999 version, but nor do I expect it to be as cheerful as the 2011 version. My personal interpretation of the manga lies somewhere in between, but just because I don't exactly agree with the tone of the 2011 version doesn't mean I am ignorant of the tone of the manga (which I have read no less than 5 times already). Like i said in my earlier post, I like the darker tone of this episode and hope it keeps up.
ankifeatherFeb 20, 2012 6:26 PM
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 42 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HybridMBL - Aug 4, 2012

112 by Nerdason »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Amagai - Jul 28, 2012

123 by Nerdason »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Amagai - Jul 21, 2012

118 by Nerdason »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeGundam - Oct 1, 2011

403 by Alkimia »»
Yesterday, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Bigbuffoon - Jul 14, 2012

109 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 4:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.