Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 25, 2012 4:07 PM

Jan 2012
So, what are your occupations? What do you do for a living? (Yes, house person counts!)

I'm basically a Historian (early Christianity is my specialty). Finished my PhD last May and I'm still looking for a job, but I'm publishing in the meantime.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 26, 2012 1:21 AM

Dec 2008
I work in the federal government as a Personnel Clerk. Nothing flashy, but hey, it pays the bills. However, according to Invisigoth, I'm a government stooge working for aliens in a plot to take over the country. Don't believe the hype!

May the DESU be with you! Always!
Jan 26, 2012 5:31 AM

Jan 2012
PhillyFlash said:
I work in the federal government as a Personnel Clerk. Nothing flashy, but hey, it pays the bills. However, according to Invisigoth, I'm a government stooge working for aliens in a plot to take over the country. Don't believe the hype!

LOL! I think the aliens part is pretty flashy myself ;). But, cool.
Jan 26, 2012 9:13 AM

Dec 2008
Contrary to Invisigoth's claims, I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the KGB. That's his bailiwick.

I'm a house person, as you put it in the first post, formerroadie, for the Ft. Meade VA Community Living Center in Sturgis, SD. Long hours, low pay and a new appreciation for housekeepers at motels and hotels.
Jan 26, 2012 12:58 PM

Jan 2012
OrlahEhontas said:
Contrary to Invisigoth's claims, I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the KGB. That's his bailiwick.

I'm a house person, as you put it in the first post, formerroadie, for the Ft. Meade VA Community Living Center in Sturgis, SD. Long hours, low pay and a new appreciation for housekeepers at motels and hotels.

Interesting job. The VA is very important!

By house person I mean stay at home dad or mom by the way :).
Feb 5, 2012 9:28 PM

Jan 2012
No one else, eh?
Feb 6, 2012 2:30 PM

Jun 2008
I didn't know this topic existed.

Me, I'm a design engineer (high power relays and contactors) for a major supplier in the aerospace arena.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Feb 7, 2012 4:48 AM

Aug 2006
I'm just a peon... working for the duck. ^_^
Feb 7, 2012 12:59 PM

Nov 2007
Close to what Chelle said.
Feb 7, 2012 1:35 PM

Dec 2008
Chelle said:

The AFLAC duck?

Feb 7, 2012 3:52 PM

Jun 2008
PhillyFlash said:
Chelle said:

The AFLAC duck?
The duck is making a good buck.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Feb 7, 2012 7:47 PM

Jan 2012
LOL. Nice folks. Keep'em coming. I think it' so interesting how anime can bring together people from all walks of life. Love it!
Feb 8, 2012 4:49 AM

Aug 2006
PhillyFlash said:
Chelle said:

The AFLAC duck?

Yep, I work for AFLAC. Their corporate headquarters is located here.
Feb 8, 2012 1:40 PM

Dec 2008
Chelle said:
PhillyFlash said:
Chelle said:

The AFLAC duck?

Yep, I work for AFLAC. Their corporate headquarters is located here.

Well, isn't that special!

*QUACK*

Feb 14, 2012 7:28 AM

Mar 2010
I'm a shift leader at Hardee's (We're owned by Carl Jr's) Not the greatest job, but it pays the bills. I actually like my job but some of the customers, not so much.
Feb 14, 2012 5:21 PM

Aug 2008
Medical biller for a home health agency.

Looking for a new direction though.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Feb 15, 2012 2:32 AM

Apr 2008
:) I'm one of those House people.... my duties include, waking up at 4 am so I can taxi my husband to the train. at 7 taxi my son to high school. Come home and clean up the home. Pay the bills. Handle any appointments. Grocery Shop. Shop as well for anything else. Go through clothes regularly looking for worn out ones. Go back to said shops when needed for that. Pick up son when he does not take the bus home, usually for theatre stuff( that can be as late as 9 pm) around 6 pm pick up husband from train. Cook dinner. Clean up after dinner. Make sure home work gets done. Next day do it all over again except maybe adding in running the car for repairs. Also if it snows, cleaning car off in the mornings. :( I think I'd rather go back to work...
Feb 15, 2012 6:39 AM

Jan 2012
Thanks for sharing! And Xannieh, you do a wonderful thing!
Mar 2, 2012 10:35 PM

Dec 2010
I'm an assistant head housekeeper at a motel. I manage to scrape by somehow.
Apr 8, 2012 2:13 PM

Jan 2012
Well, I may have found teaching work finally at a University... let's hope :)
Apr 23, 2012 10:19 AM
Nov 2011
I'm a Software Developer/Tester/Engineer, depending on what day you catch me right now.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Jun 26, 2012 8:22 AM

Apr 2009
Until today I worked in what some people call a "config center" for a major bank. We would configure computer hardware for the company as it came in from the vendor. Basically an easy warehouse job. Receive, configure, ship. Not difficult but paid the bills and was indoors. Before that I was desktop support for the same company. Unfortunately, now I have been laid off and am looking for work. I would like to do desktop support again.
- Jim

Jul 17, 2012 7:26 PM

Jul 2012
I am a Tool and Die Maker that has ended up working as a Machinist on a CNC Lathe. The job is boring/tedious, has long hours and offers more overtime than I really care for. I am still a believer of "working to live" and not "living to work". I am certainly able to pay my bills with this job, but I feel like my brain is going to atrophy from a distinct lack of use. I really miss T&D. I am hoping it will lead to me getting my dream job at one of the US Mints someday.
My dream job is to be the Penny Press Operator at the US Mint; Just so I can come home every day to my significant other and say "Honey, I made cents ALL day long!"

Active Military, Prior Service and Veteran's Anime Club
Aug 8, 2012 9:02 AM

Aug 2011
I am employed as a maintenance mechanic for a frozen food conglomerate. Too much overtime. They keep telling us how we are family, but I never get to see mine. I guess I should be happy I have a job, since I went so long without but 5 days off since mid June is a bit much (that includes the 4th).

do not forget the sound of my voice until the day we reunite
Aug 27, 2012 6:33 AM

Jun 2011
I work for the Department of Transportation doing bridge analysis and routing for oversize/overweight loads.
MidvalleyAug 27, 2012 2:37 PM
Aug 27, 2012 7:51 AM

Jun 2010
I work at the mail, but I'm not a postman. I'll try to explain, even though my english is not very good.

There's a big machine that triages the packages, but some of them can't go on the machine, for various reasons.

I'm one of the people responsible for the manual triage, we take care of the packages that can't go on the machine.
Aug 27, 2012 12:16 PM

Apr 2010
Graphic designer and artist, so yeah I pretty much sit in front of a computer all day ;)
Sep 12, 2012 9:37 PM
Jul 2012
Freelance commercial/ editorial photographer.
Apr 19, 2013 1:37 PM

Apr 2013
People seem to have such interesting jobs here. I'm a color matcher. We basically match target colors into different plastic resins for bottles, caps, and almost anything else made out of plastic.
Feb 11, 2015 12:49 PM

Jul 2014
Software developer (official job title is Software Architect, but who cares ;-)), managing team of four people who create invoicing application for industry.
Feb 11, 2015 1:34 PM

Apr 2008
Hmmm well how do I describe what I do.

I'm a maid.
I'm a taxi driver.
Bill payer.
Life organizer.
Secretary.
Filing clerk.
Chef...
Nutritionist
Teacher
Psycho therapist...

My title, Housewife and mother. I go to bed last, I'm lucky if I get to bed by 12. I get up with my husband at 5 am. I make breakfast, make sure his clothes are pressed, coffee is made and lunch is packed. Thankfully I've retired from having to taxi him to the train now. Then my son wakes up, make sure he has breakfast and he gets to college. Because as a teen he had a seizure disorder he is only now working getting his license...so he doesn't completely drive yet.

The rest of the day is filled with errands, bill paying, cleaning and preparing dinner. My son's college is about 30 to 40 minutes from the house and if he isn't in rehearsal for a play, I pick him up at 5. If ... If he IS in a play I am usually there waiting on him around 8 to 9 pm. I get home.. try to settle down, find time to watch anime..go to sleep hopefully before midnight and get up at 5 am to do it all over again.

I also enjoy every bit of it.
Feb 12, 2015 5:52 AM

Nov 2014
Senior Software developper (C#, ASP.NET, SharePoint) for SAQ
Jan 5, 2017 10:46 PM

Mar 2016
Started out as a mechanic, got disabled and went to college and became a computer geek. Retired as a Sr Programmer/Analyst specializing in integrating business systems with the Internet using Progress databases and programming language packages.

Along the way, in my spare time, I was a FM radio Classic Rock DJ and a Blues/Funk/Classic Rock drummer.

Now I am a full-time web-potato from our living room working out of the recliner I live in these days.

(T-Shirt say's "I'm in it for the parking")
Speedy
AKA: HeroHog, Dr. Speed and "That fat, old, balding, grey-bearded gimpy guy"
May 14, 2019 4:54 PM
Apr 2019
I am currently an Engineering Associate in Materials Science Research and development. Prior to that I was At Texas Instruments as a Yield Enhancement Sr Process Tech. that covers the last 21 years :)
May 14, 2019 7:16 PM

Nov 2015
I am a retired physician (surgical pathologist).
May 15, 2019 4:57 AM

Feb 2016
I'm an information assurance analyst. It's often painfully dull and few people understand what we do, but it pays well.
May 16, 2019 12:17 PM

Jun 2014
Accounting assistant for an HVAC company.
My love of anime is not an obsession. It's a need to have a content life.
May 18, 2019 1:08 PM

Nov 2017
Most of the time some forest & farm related works.. I have also blacksmith/machinist workshop and jewelry studio, but metal works are only a small side business to my farm.
AstaloMay 19, 2019 5:51 AM
Sep 29, 2019 3:04 PM
Sep 2019
I work inside a Quality Control Laboratory for a factory that makes grouts and concrete. Its pretty boring job, but it pays the bills. Like other members here have said, the company give the whole spiel of "we're all family", but its superficial - I don't really get to see my family enough or enjoy enough time off.

If I could switch up my profession, I would find the physical work of agriculture or running my own restaurant more enjoyable. I have a passion for food, but didn't pursue that path early on in life.
Sep 30, 2019 10:27 AM
May 2019
I'm currently unemployed and getting more broke per day. :(
Which one do you want? An Addiction or A Good Life?
A) Addiction - a progressive narrowing of the things that bring you pleasure.
B) A Good Life - a progressive expansion of the things that bring you pleasure and includes pleasure through motivation and hard work.
Oct 5, 2019 6:48 AM
Sep 2017
Hi,

I'm a software developer. More specific: Oracle Consultant in the Netherlands.
Oct 6, 2019 3:34 PM

Aug 2011
I have a new job ...

Hi, I work for the govt and I am here to help you!

Seriously, I work for the govt; just another toothless cog in the machine.

do not forget the sound of my voice until the day we reunite
Oct 7, 2019 3:51 AM
Apr 2019
Materials Science Research in Thermoelectric Materials mon-fri
Private bodyguard Sat Sun
Author (waiting on getting published) all the time.
Parent
Grandparent
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch

23feanor - Apr 2

48 by 23feanor »»
2 hours ago

» Anime with adult main characters

zubby - Nov 30, 2023

6 by MeganeOverlord »»
9 hours ago

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

833 by MeganeOverlord »»
10 hours ago

Sticky: » Discuss the Series You Just Finished ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Jul 27, 2009

2876 by 23feanor »»
Yesterday, 6:27 AM

Sticky: » Interest Thread for a Group Watch ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

23feanor - Oct 26, 2020

290 by OrlahEhontas »»
Apr 24, 4:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.