Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 18, 2012 3:36 PM

Dec 2009
JoeLT said:
Sir_Lexa said:
Hexis said:
for example funimation has an official youtube channel where you can watch their stuff legally

If you're from the US that is. Another example of Funimation's bullshit.

I'm in Australia yet I still watch anime on Funimation's channel?

Maybe they only hate Europeans then.. xD
Jan 18, 2012 4:07 PM

Oct 2007
Soulja said:
Leonard93 said:
Soulja said:
If downloading anime from torrent is illegal then why is it available for direct downloads?

all anime downloads, in any form way of shape (even streaming) is illegal.
As far as my knowledge goes, illegal data is only available on file sharing sites like torrent, 4shared etc.
Let us take the example of the site realitylapse,com, this site has a database of many animes. If direct downloading was illegal, as you say, then this site must have been blocked or stopped or whatever. Illegal data is only available under the shield of file sharing systems.
I am not damn sure, maybe I'm wrong. Please reply.

I'm afraid your knowledge is limited, then. Sites like realitylapse.com are still up because the government has bigger sites to worry about than ones just supplying anime. They tend to go for sites that host western movies and music over sites that host anime.
Jan 18, 2012 4:17 PM
Mar 2010
yeah most definitely. most of the people I know have done it many times, not only anime, but certain things I wouldn't mention.

and thinking that they can never get caught... has gotta be a lie... copyright law firms are on the prowl....
Jan 18, 2012 6:44 PM

Jan 2012
Technically, if any anime (or any other intellectual work for that matter) were to enter the public domain, it would be perfectly legal to freely download via torrent or direct download. It's not likely any anime will enter the public domain anytime soon, however, simply because of how long it takes:

- 100 years after first publication and the copyright owner does not renew,
- 70 years after the death of the original author (or company/studio) and no qualified descendant claims the copyright
- The original author (or company) freely gives up his own intellectual property to the public domain.

Since none of these are likely to happen, the only way you can legally download anime (or any other publication) is per Fair Use laws:
- You must own the original content. If you own the North American DVD version, you can legally download the North American DVD version through torrent, however it is illegal to download a Blu-Ray version or a version from another region of the world. This is based on your right to produce a back-up copy of the copyrighted property that you own. HOWEVER:
- It is illegal to distribute said copy, and if you transfer ownership of the original content you have to destroy/delete the copy in order to stay in accordance with the law. This means that if you download an anime via torrent, it is illegal for you to share that torrent, just as it is illegal for the person providing you with the torrent to provide the torrent in the first place. So, by downloading an anime from a torrent, you are breaking the law since you share bits and pieces of the anime that you are downloading as you download it.
- Also interesting to note, while it is legal to copy DVD's and Blu-Rays, it is illegal to circumvent copyright protection on said disks. Therefore, it is illegal to directly burn one DVD onto another since copyright protection would have to be removed in order to do so, however it is legal to copy a DVD by playing the DVD and recording the captured image onto another DVD/hard drive/VHS tape.

Basically, if you read all of this, this means that there is a lot of gray area when it comes to copyright law. Just make your life easier and buy the anime you want to watch.

~エスペランサー
Jan 18, 2012 7:27 PM

Jul 2011
Espelancer said:
Technically, if any anime (or any other intellectual work for that matter) were to enter the public domain, it would be perfectly legal to freely download via torrent or direct download. It's not likely any anime will enter the public domain anytime soon, however, simply because of how long it takes:

- 100 years after first publication and the copyright owner does not renew,
- 70 years after the death of the original author (or company/studio) and no qualified descendant claims the copyright
- The original author (or company) freely gives up his own intellectual property to the public domain.

Since none of these are likely to happen, the only way you can legally download anime (or any other publication) is per Fair Use laws:
- You must own the original content. If you own the North American DVD version, you can legally download the North American DVD version through torrent, however it is illegal to download a Blu-Ray version or a version from another region of the world. This is based on your right to produce a back-up copy of the copyrighted property that you own. HOWEVER:
- It is illegal to distribute said copy, and if you transfer ownership of the original content you have to destroy/delete the copy in order to stay in accordance with the law. This means that if you download an anime via torrent, it is illegal for you to share that torrent, just as it is illegal for the person providing you with the torrent to provide the torrent in the first place. So, by downloading an anime from a torrent, you are breaking the law since you share bits and pieces of the anime that you are downloading as you download it.
- Also interesting to note, while it is legal to copy DVD's and Blu-Rays, it is illegal to circumvent copyright protection on said disks. Therefore, it is illegal to directly burn one DVD onto another since copyright protection would have to be removed in order to do so, however it is legal to copy a DVD by playing the DVD and recording the captured image onto another DVD/hard drive/VHS tape.

Basically, if you read all of this, this means that there is a lot of gray area when it comes to copyright law. Just make your life easier and buy the anime you want to watch.

But really illegal downloading of anime is so common there really isn't anything to worry about, at least where I am. I know with overseas ISP's they can shut down for internet if they detect you are downloading movies etc. over torrents illegaly, although I'm not sure if they do that for anime, there was a thread on here about it.

Free legal distribution is starting to get a lot better as of late, and if sites like Crunchyroll where to licence all their anime's in my region I'd be happy to pay for a subscription. However as it currently is we get the back end when in comparison to legal free anime in America.

I really ramble on :
Jan 18, 2012 8:46 PM

Sep 2011
Downloading anything basically is illegal.
Jan 18, 2012 9:24 PM

Aug 2011
Uh, no shit, sherlock?
Jan 18, 2012 10:12 PM

Jan 2012
I just hate SOPA... Internet freedom!!!
Jan 18, 2012 10:44 PM

Jan 2009
Internet can be so cruel... Never-ending piracy.
Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.
Jan 18, 2012 10:53 PM

Dec 2010
Illegal.

Jan 19, 2012 1:11 AM

Dec 2011
It's against the law!! Don't do it you'll cause the destruction of us all.

The world would be a better place without torrents
Jan 19, 2012 1:42 AM
Jan 2012
Yes, it's illegal. But my addiction is too strong. :'( As someone already said, though, if you couldn't obtain it any other way (suc as if it isn't released in your country) than I don't really see any harm in it.
Jan 19, 2012 3:22 AM

Nov 2011
Harlequins said:
It's against the law!! Don't do it you'll cause the destruction of us all.

The world would be a better place without torrents

Not quite. Torrent is a peer-to-peer network system and it has its own advantage compared to single network system.
Torrent allows you to continue download even though the main host is down because the other linked computers in the network can support sharing data among the network.
Single network system doesn't allow you to continue downloading when the main host is down.
Each of them has its own pros and cons, so it depends on the situation.

I've made my point about illegal downloading, basically it won't reach the level of destruction. Companies are trying to prevent loss of income from piracy. Maximum profit is always the main concept in business, no?

"Life is always a continuation of unpreparedness" - Evangline A.K. McDowell
Jan 19, 2012 3:26 AM
Sep 2010
JoeLT said:
Leonard93 said:
youtube prolly not legal.

If you watch on Funimation's youtube channel it is.
yeah true.
Jan 19, 2012 3:34 AM

Jul 2011
Damn, Funimation has launched their new subscription streaming service where you can watch what seems like all there licensed shows for $9 a month.

FFS, why can't our Distributor do this, better yet Funimation come over here and buy them out please :(.

America getting all the good stuff :\
Jan 19, 2012 11:15 AM

Nov 2011
Downloading is illegal, watching anime is illegal, unless you are willing to buy it or watch on tv in the daily programation. Everything for free that has copyright is illegal.

Here comes SOPA.
Jan 19, 2012 11:18 AM

Jan 2012
Spy said:
Downloading is illegal, watching anime is illegal, unless you are willing to buy it or watch on tv in the daily programation. Everything for free that has copyright is illegal.

Here comes SOPA.

SOPA is unconstitutional, therefore SOPA is illegal.

~エスペランサー
Jan 19, 2012 2:51 PM

Aug 2009
Jack_Rav said:
ezikialrage said:
]
If its public domain it is not illegal to download a anime torrent.Of course the only anime that is probably public domain are something like these.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6857/Momotarou_no_Umiwashi
http://myanimelist.net/anime/6654/Namakura_Katana
http://myanimelist.net/anime/7485/Urashima_Tarou
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5813/Urashima_Tarou_%281931%29

That's probably because the copyright expired, rather than it being in the public domain per se. If it is in the public domain to a prevalent extent, it's probably because the author gave permission (barring expiration of copyright) for the anime to be torrented/whatever. By saying because it's in the public domain authorises infringement appears somewhat to be putting the cart before the horse.

An expired copyright is an example of something becoming public domain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain
Works are in the public domain if the intellectual property rights have expired

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/public+domain
the status of a literary work or an invention whose copyright or patent has expired or that never had such protection.
Jan 19, 2012 2:59 PM

May 2010
Espelancer said:
Just make your life easier and buy the anime you want to watch.

I have never ever seen a shop selling anime in my country. We don't even have anime on TV anymore.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Jan 19, 2012 3:54 PM
Apr 2011
I torrent when the stuff airs, then I ALWAYS buy once they come on DVD
Jan 20, 2012 4:18 PM

Jan 2012
What about those anime that you can watch it for free every Saturday morning and before/after school? I say free because you only need TV and antenna. (yes this was back in the 90's)
Jan 20, 2012 4:48 PM

Jul 2011
flaxman85 said:
What about those anime that you can watch it for free every Saturday morning and before/after school? I say free because you only need TV and antenna. (yes this was back in the 90's)

They were licensed therefore legal, assuming you mean in the US. Take adult swim for example, which aired Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, and so on. These were all licensed and perfectly legal. Same for dbz, pokemon, yugioh, and whatever other things that use to come on saturdays.

Jan 20, 2012 5:39 PM
Jul 2011
Why yes. Yes it is. Anything like movies, anime, music and games you download off the internet for free from a third party source is illegal. Megaupload has been taken down recently because of this. And it is much nicer to own the DVDs and stuff.
I like bubble teaaa~ Bubble tea for meee~
I'll have it for breakfast, I'll have it for tea, a little each day is a good recipee~
Jan 20, 2012 5:48 PM

May 2010
my MPC codecs say otherwise
Jan 20, 2012 5:50 PM

Jan 2012
Wouldnt it depend on whats in the torrent? what happens if its an anime you created? XD
Jan 21, 2012 12:50 AM
Jul 2011
illegal illegal illegal thats all i hear u guys talking about. illegal or not u are the not the one doing anything wrong. watching something or downloading something that is posted on the internet is not illegal, it is the person hosting or uploading the file that is in the wrong. if someone is willing to post something on the internet then they accept the risks of it.

and that guy talking about megaupload is wrong too.

there are tons of other sites that provide the exact same service as megaupload. megaupload is part of the cloud. if sharing information is now illegal then the internet needs to be shut down since this is what it was created for.
doubleJan 21, 2012 12:55 AM
Jan 21, 2012 12:53 AM

Dec 2011
amopry said:
illegal illegal illegal thats all i hear u guys talking about. illegal or not u are the not the one doing anything wrong. watching something or downloading something that is posted on the internet is not illegal, it is the person hosting or uploading the file that is in the wrong. if someone is willing to post something on the internet then they accept the risks of it.

Its illegal for both/all people involved.

But yeah.. I do hate reading that what I'm doing is illegal. Makes me feel uneasy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2012 1:05 AM

Nov 2011
amopry said:

Some people had to pay for the songs they downloaded from the internet because of violating the law. I'm pretty sure it's illegal no matter how. You are supporting illegal act by downloading/getting illegal product without the original owner's consent.

"Life is always a continuation of unpreparedness" - Evangline A.K. McDowell
Jan 21, 2012 1:13 AM
Jul 2011
Another quick thing about megaupload.

They were in the process of teaming up with famous (very famous) musicians, to put music directly on megaupload with a buy process, like itunes, but instead of apple getting 90% and the artist 10% (exageration but i know you know), megaupload would get 10% and the artist (you know the person that actually did all the work) would get 90% of revenue.

This is basically like creating your own record company but without having to have the millions of dollars for start up.

THIS WOULD CRIPPLE the music industry not having to rely on a record company for distribution.

So why do you think megaupload was targeted over any other hosting sites, because they posed a threat to corporations making millions and millions of dollars on an industry that is monopolized on other peoples talents and taking advantage of those talents for their own greed.
Jan 21, 2012 1:19 AM

Dec 2011
In that case, Mediafire will be next.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2012 1:42 AM

Sep 2009
Spy said:
Everything for free that has copyright is illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License

Innoxious said:
amopry said:

Some people had to pay for the songs they downloaded from the internet because of violating the law. I'm pretty sure it's illegal no matter how. You are supporting illegal act by downloading/getting illegal product without the original owner's consent.
Depends on the law of the land. In quite a few countries downloading is not by itself considered illegal since user can never really be sure about what is/isn't copyrighted and what it actually is that the website is sending to your computer. Though uploading or distributing is always illegal. That's why people using torrents might get sued(you're forced to seed), but regular DDLers can easily get by.
Remnants- said:
In that case, Mediafire will be next.

Though Mediafire has invested in other features than just file hosting(features especially designed for businesses etc.) so it might well avoid the fate of MegaUpload.
Jan 21, 2012 4:24 AM

Dec 2011
Well in my country you can't by anime anywhere, maybe some (less famous or older, Dragon Ball(Ok this is good, but is older), Blue Dragon, Kirari, Mermaid Melody etc.).

Also even if you could it would be even more expensive than authors wanted it to be because that's just the way my country works.

On TV there is only one channel that airs animes.

And it is not that good.

The exist for about 3 years, add month or two, and they aired only: Death Note,Pokemon (first 3-4 seasons), Mermaid Melody, Bakugan (season 1 and 2), Blue Dragon, Kirari, Naruto (till the episode where they find Tsunade nad bring her to village), Yu-Gi-Oh GX (season 1 and 2) and only forst part of 5DS. Now they are airing Dragon Ball Z (no previous episodes, and probably no plans for GT). One other Channel aired Bleach to the episode where Byakuya and Renji fight, and then they stopped. And the spent so much money on commercials, and they said that anime fans will have something to watch. They lied.

So they had few good anime, but they either stopped airing it or anime was finished.

And you can't buy it so only way for me (and anime lovers in my country) to watch anime is to download or watch stream (this is what I do)...

At least 50% of people I know would buy anime.

Who know maybe this post will change something.
Jan 21, 2012 6:28 PM

Oct 2008
I can't say that this is debatable. Illegal.

Jan 21, 2012 6:36 PM
Dec 2011
Leonard93 said:
Soulja said:
If downloading anime from torrent is illegal then why is it available for direct downloads?

all anime downloads, in any form way of shape (even streaming) is illegal.

Not if a company has it licensed...? I.E. Netflix or Crunchyroll.

Yes, downloading it is illegal. Though, you shouldn't be afraid considering the companies that host anime are usually overseas, and most likely won't do anything about it.
Jan 21, 2012 8:27 PM

Jun 2009
Just popping in to ask something thats been on my mind for a while.

When did we decide that it was okay for someone to pirate something because "they're weren't gonna buy it anyway so they're not a lost sale". How does that possibly justify anything?
Jan 21, 2012 8:39 PM

Dec 2011
Jrittmayer said:

When did we decide that it was okay for someone to pirate something because "they're weren't gonna buy it anyway so they're not a lost sale". How does that possibly justify anything?

It doesn't. That's called an "excuse". People are only saying that to make themselves feel better about what they're doing.
Jan 21, 2012 9:39 PM

Jun 2009
Remnants- said:
Jrittmayer said:

It doesn't. That's called an "excuse". People are only saying that to make themselves feel better about what they're doing.

So why is that point ALWAYS brought up in piracy discussions about how copyright holders shouldn't go after people who wouldn't have bought it anyway. Okay, they 're not a lost sale...but they still stole the product. I wish people would come up with a better excuse -___-
Jan 21, 2012 10:53 PM

Jul 2011
Jrittmayer said:
Remnants- said:
Jrittmayer said:

So why is that point ALWAYS brought up in piracy discussions about how copyright holders shouldn't go after people who wouldn't have bought it anyway. Okay, they 're not a lost sale...but they still stole the product. I wish people would come up with a better excuse -___-

Can you honestly say you have never engaged in any form of piracy? I've always sat and wondered how some who are anti-piracy have rather extensive lists of unlicensed anime, especially one's that are currently airing.

Jan 21, 2012 11:18 PM

Dec 2011
rekindledflame said:
Can you honestly say you have never engaged in any form of piracy? I've always sat and wondered how some who are anti-piracy have rather extensive lists of unlicensed anime, especially one's that are currently airing.

I never said I haven't if you mean me. I'm just saying that there are no excuses for doing so. If you're going to "break the law", at least be honest about it instead of trying to cover it with some half-assed excuse, pardon my language.
Jan 21, 2012 11:33 PM

Dec 2009
woah... so even streaming is illegal?

I'm just glad they don't catch the streaming so we could watch anime and manga online! xD

It'd be really gay if they really put it "SUPER ILLEGAL" that we won't be able to watch anything!
Like, no vids of anime on youtube or amv's, no downloads of music, no free streaming anime or manga, no this and that....

That'd be HORRIBLE! Dx
Jan 21, 2012 11:34 PM

Dec 2009
Roloko said:
Sir_Lexa said:
Innoxious said:
Just remember OneManga's case, the site was forced to remove all their manga titles due to legal issue.

Which was a damn shame. Damn good site.

New and better sites will always pop up.

Doubt SOPA will pass almost everyone is against it anyways even Google is against it so yeah....

All downloads are illegal unless you get them from I-Tunes.

ah.... I remember onemanga.com too...
Jan 22, 2012 3:42 AM

Sep 2009
Jrittmayer said:

What? The only place where that point is brought up is in the court as a counterargument when the copyright holders demand that every pirated copy is to be counted as a loss in sales so they can demand ludicrous compensations from defendants. I've never seen anyone arguing that copyright holders should stop suing people altogether, and at least not with that reasoning.

TL;DR You're tilting at windmills.
Jan 22, 2012 4:57 AM

Feb 2008
The actual act of downloading copyrighted material isn't illegal. Possessing copyrighted material which you did not pay for is illegal. Trust me, this is the loophole my country has been using for ages to keep allowing people to download anything they want. It''s also one of the few things protecting us from censorship as in China and maybe soon also USA.
Jan 22, 2012 5:12 AM

Sep 2009
AeonsLegend said:
The actual act of downloading copyrighted material isn't illegal. Possessing copyrighted material which you did not pay for is illegal.

That's kind of contradicting since when you download something you possess it.
Jan 22, 2012 5:24 AM

Feb 2008
The fact that it is possible for me to download something I paid for makes my point. I can go to the store and buy a game. Me downloading the game online from any other place is no longer "illegal" because I already paid for it. This is the reason why the act of downloading it cannot be made illegal. Only possessing it without having paid for it is illegal. It's not a contradiction, it's a law loophole.
Jan 22, 2012 5:39 AM

May 2010
Remnants- said:
Jrittmayer said:

It's actually called truth in many countries. Anime and manga were very little known in many countries until the internet came along and even so it still is. Of course it's not ok to pirate but in many cases it's the only available option. This is why international laws are not good, because they can't be applied everywhere due to different conditions.

Also, it's ironic to see companies QQing about piracy since the internet got them known in the first place.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Jan 22, 2012 5:53 AM

Feb 2008
snumbers said:
SOPA is an American law, they only care about anything that effects THEM...
THEY wont block anime downloading sites BECAUSE it will NOT benefit them in any way what so ever!
They will only block sites that have copywrited material such as WESTERN films and WESTERN songs..Anime will be unscathed if it ever passes in future.

(Btw sopa is dead..for now)
There''s plenty of American companies reselling anime. In fact America is the biggest reseller of anime in the world. The SOPA will impact it.
Jan 22, 2012 6:17 AM

Nov 2009
alot of people have been right here and there and it really boils down to a couple of things within laws:

1: it does depend on the laws in the country you are located in, unless it states somewhere that you may be tried under a different set of laws ect ect, you know what im getting at

2: whether or not people like it, downloading anime, streaming, ect ect is illegal, the only time i would see it comming under 'Legal" is if it was under something like a creative commons liscence that would let people distribute it, but not make derivative works or make commercial profits, but even then the company is at a loss for profit using Creative Commons

3: if in doubt, ask a lawyer

thats about the best i got

if i have the grass to lay on and the wind to stroke my cheek, i dont need anything else, sleeping with a contented smile.
Jan 22, 2012 6:21 AM

Feb 2008
kin37ik said:
2: whether or not people like it, downloading anime, streaming, ect ect is illegal, the only time i would see it comming under 'Legal" is if it was under something like a creative commons liscence that would let people distribute it, but not make derivative works or make commercial profits, but even then the company is at a loss for profit using Creative Commons
Wrong. The act of downloading it can never be illegal, because downloading only pertains to the media used to obtain it. That's the same thing as saying DVD writers are illegal, because they can be used to copy data. In fact it's ok to copy copyrighted material as well as long as it is for your own use. Trust me, I worked for a lawyers office which handled these exact cases. No single law enforcement agency can sue you for obtaining copyrighted material through the Internet unless there is proof that you have the material and you did not pay for it. At least not in my country.
Jan 22, 2012 8:39 AM
Dec 2010
AeonsLegend said:
snumbers said:
SOPA is an American law, they only care about anything that effects THEM...
THEY wont block anime downloading sites BECAUSE it will NOT benefit them in any way what so ever!
They will only block sites that have copywrited material such as WESTERN films and WESTERN songs..Anime will be unscathed if it ever passes in future.

(Btw sopa is dead..for now)
There''s plenty of American companies reselling anime. In fact America is the biggest reseller of anime in the world. The SOPA will impact it.

The american companies that re-sell anime only re-sell the best anime/newest, so most of the animes [old ones] are not licensed by american companies. So afew animes will be effected, but most animes will not be effected. They will be effected if those companies choose to buy the rights to sell them though or if japan follows america's lead and puts in place a similar law.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

23 by mizukasa »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

10 by AMBITZZ »»
3 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

42 by KitsuFrost »»
5 minutes ago

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

49 by Entity72 »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

17 by AMBITZZ »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.