Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 26, 2019 10:52 PM

Aug 2015
Kino's master is basically a sovereign citizen, since she lives outside the territory of any state.

I kinda thought this would be a slice of life episode
well it's not Kino until somebody ends up dead

I can't believe Kino was set up to assassinate a serial killer who was being a nuisance when all she wanted to do was find out about Kino prime. And she's not even mad when she comes back? man, I'd be livid if that happened to me.
Feb 29, 2020 11:12 PM

Dec 2014
nice background...tottemo tanoshi desu
Nov 16, 2020 12:02 PM

Jun 2010
I don't find Kino to be a very interesting character on her own so learning her backstory is not very exciting for me. The only thing that's left besides that is the confrontation between the original Kino's (supposed) mother and the "new" Kino and fortunately this is in much better form; the question if Kino owes the grieving mother of her benefactor anything is an interesting one even if the story retreats from it in the end. Kino thought she was shooting her savior's mother so it counts well enough.
Mar 29, 2022 9:34 PM

Aug 2012
My relationship with the original Kino's Journey is mixed to say the least but I'll admit, hearing "All the Way" again was quite nostalgic. Love that song.

I do wish I watched this earlier than I did, it's been close to a decade since I saw the original series, and I wasn't expecting this, because I didn't read the blurb at all, to act as a sequel to her origin episode. I remember finding that episode to be one of the stronger ones of the original series so this was a pleasant surprise. As far as I remember, the original episode leaves off with the impression that Kino thinks she's Kino and didn't remember her past at all (this episodes seems to back up my memory), that aspect was always kind of the most tragic part to me and stuck with me. Turns out she remembered the truth before even setting out lol.

The episode itself wasn't nearly as good as the original. I actually like Kino remembering despite lessening the impact the original had on me, and I like how everything tied together into the climax. For me the biggest down point might be the direction with the mother. They couldn't have laid it on thicker that she was nutso and going to try and kill Kino. I didn't find it very effective in building tension, seemed too over the top and kind of silly to me. Admittedly, once we found out that the woman wasn't actually Kino's mother and just some serial killer the Master tricked Kino into killing since she can be bothered to leave the forest the mother's reactions felt more in-line but the actually scene that mattered still lacked power for me since they went too over the top with the demented direction.

Besides it was mostly enjoyable. Again even the climax had a nice moment of everything the episode's building to coming together that's satisfying, and it's nice to catch up with Kino. I rather liked the feminine/masculine "i"'s and how the sub I read incorporated that by giving the text different colours, that allowed me to appreciate the way Kino using them. 6/10.
Aug 8, 2022 1:53 PM
Sep 2013
This movie came after the series, so it should be treated as such.
Surely this prequel came to make Kino more human and make her skills more believable, in the series I didn't want to get too much on the foot because it was said that she had a teacher although her skills still hurt my suspension of disbelief a little , as an excuse for Kino to be good with weapons, they made her a kind of genius, which in my opinion is far from what I can believe, as Kino is not a much older person, it is difficult to buy this idea that they tried pass, unlike her Master.
Kino as a girl is much better, both her personality and the look, if you compare how she looks after it is really bad, I would have preferred if she kept the look and personality, I think Kino's first work must have ended with her, even if the woman was not the mother of the real Kino, the trauma of having killed both the son and the mother seems to have made Kino lose her essence, made her stop being a girl, maybe it's the consequence of the apathy she felt even after killing the old woman.
Now about Kino's master, it seemed a little morbid to me, seeing as she didn't warn Kino of the future danger she was going to encounter, and left the girl to chance, she might as well have died for the old woman, which leaves a bitter taste. in the mouth, as the characters seem to lack emotions, even in the main series.
I'll give the same grade as I gave the 7/10 series, although I must point out that this story was a little more down to earth than the series, but it's strange the coincidence of precisely the old woman having lost a child traveling and Kino to have seen a traveler dying was too much of a coincidence bordering on the absurd.

PTBR

Esse filme veio depois da série, então deve ser tratado como tal.
Com certeza essa prequela veio para deixar a Kino mais humana e fazer as habilidades dela ficarem mais verossímeis, na série eu não quis pegar muito no pé pois foi dito que ela teve uma professora embora as habilidades dela ainda ferisse um pouco a minha suspensão de descrença, como desculpa para a Kino ser boa com armas,fizeram ela ser uma espécie de gênio,o que ao meu ver foge muito daquilo que eu posso crer,como a Kino não é uma pessoa muito mais velha,fica difícil comprar essa ideia que tentaram passar, diferente da Mestre dela.
A Kino como uma garota é bem melhor, tanto a personalidade dela como o visual, se comparar como ela fica depois é realmente muito ruim, preferia que ela tivesse mantido o visual e a personalidade, acho que o primeiro trabalho de Kino deve ter acabado com ela,mesmo que a mulher não fosse a mãe do Kino verdadeiro,o trauma de ter matado tanto o filho como a mãe parece ter feito Kino perder sua essência, fez ela deixar de ser uma garota, talvez seja a consequência da apatia que ela sentiu mesmo depois de ter matado a velha.
Agora sobre a mestre de Kino,me pareceu um pouco mórbido, visto que ela não avisou a Kino do futuro perigo que ela ia encontrar, e deixou a garota no acaso, ela poderia muito bem ter morrido pela velha, o que deixa um gosto amargo na boca, pois os personagens parecem carecer de emoções, isso até mesmo na série principal.
Vou dar a mesma nota que eu dei na serie 7/10,embora devo salientar que essa historia foi um pouco mais pé no chão do que as da serie,mas é estranho a coincidência de justamente a velha ter perdido um filho viajando e a Kino ter visto um viajante morrendo, foi coincidência de mais beirando o absurdo.

Oct 2, 2022 4:35 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Good story. Lucky that wasn't really Kino's mom, it would be very sad.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Mar 16, 2023 1:02 PM

Aug 2017
I thought Kino's master and the woman whom she killed looked kinda similar, but maybe it's just a charadesign thing. Anyway, awesome OVA, good addition to the series. The assault scene is very well made.

Jul 4, 2023 1:57 PM

Dec 2022
Ah, now there's the backstory I was looking for. "Kino's mother" looked like a crazy bitch from the moment she opened the door, so good thing Kino can carry out a hit without even intending to.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.