Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 7, 2008 12:05 AM

Feb 2008
Create a list and show your fellow club members which RPG games deserves to be at the top (extremely noteworthy of attention) and which ones deserve to be way in the bottom (meaning utter trash)..If you can, explain the reasons behind your opinions..This will be important to an upcoming competition for a future date!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 9, 2008 9:18 AM

Jun 2008
This sounds interesting!

(Note: before proceeding, I know there is at least one game on my crap list that always stirs up emotions....so please don't take any offense to it)

The best:

Persona - The very first one. I tired it out at a used game store 10 years ago and it drove me nuts quickly...but the next day I went back to buy it. I didn't know why I did that then...but now it is my favorite game of all time. Just the depth of the persona creation chart makes me excited. I fell like I am creating something awesome each time. I have both parts of the 2nd and 3rd...and I haven't been as impressed, but they still are great games.

Elder Scrolls III - This was the first I have played of the series and it was so easy to get lost in. Normally I don't sit down and play a game for more than an hour and 1/2 at a time...but the hours clicked away as I felt like I was in a new world. Heck, I made a character that their goal in life was to hunt and sell, and I had a blast doing that.

Final Fantasy IV - This game is just pure fun, that is all I can really say. Nicely paced and some likable characters.

Ultima: Exodus - For those of you that started on the Final Fantasy series...you might want to stay away. It is a lot rougher. But it was my first RPG I ever played...and it is VERY hard.

Parasite Eve - Love it or hate it.....this game did something right: action rpg with a 1 person party. I am a control freak so I hate when an action rpg dosen't let me control all the characters at once. Plus the EX added a lot of replay to it. Currently my gun (called the gun of god) is 999 on all stats from all the times I have played through it.

Phantasy Star Online - This is the only MMORPG I've played, and will probably stay that way. I it light and easy to pick up, yet addicting.

.hack - I could actually stomach not being ale to control the characters in this one because it felt so much like PSO.....very good story, and with all the word combos....pretty much endless.

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - This really isn't a RPG, but I am including it for one reason: the story kills anything I have seen, played, or read in my life.

And the worst:

Final Fantasy VI - The game that started the decline of the series. First off, being that all characters (save one that was uncontrollable) could use spells....classes became pointless. Just make sure you have all fighters with Ultima and you are fine. Also the characters were more than annoying....especially Gau, who ranks as the worst game character ever. Nothing felt better than flying to the veldt and leaving him there for the rest of my game.

Dragon Warrior II - Ok, here is another that will drive people crazy to see....but the battle system is flawed to crap. Not being able to target a specific enemy (just a group of enemies) kills stradegy. It becomes luck......luck that your fighter dosne't hit someone for 30 points of damage when they only have 1 hp left, luck that your characters all won't attack different enemies for minimal damage, and luck that you don't get ganged up on and die. I've lost too many times to this battle system to care anymore.

Star Ocean: 2nd Story - And then there is the opposite....the battle system that consisted of pounding the attack button since the monsters just wandered around...I am guessing...intoxicated?

Legacy of the Wizard - This game sucks and it drives me crazy......sorry there isn't much more of a description, but I don't even want to think about this game anymore.

Final Fantasy Legend - "Do you want to eat the meat and completly destroy your character?" And why can my weapons only attack a specific amount of times??? So now I have to save my best weapons to make sure they are around for boss battles...:(

Koudelka - Now don't get me wrong...this game had a lot of potential, but weapons break too easy. See FFL above.

Xenogears - Another battle system problem....just selecting attack doesn't do the job. No..then you have to hit: X, X, O, X, X, O, O, O, X, X+O each time you want to attack. After about 5 battles I already felt like I was at work, not playing a game.
Watch Anime Together Club Headquarters:

Read Everything And Discuss: Manga:

Or just come find me here:
Jul 9, 2008 12:19 PM

Sep 2007
I'll be posting more than once so I'll come back ^^; so this isn't all the good or bad.
Also, I love playing RPGs, but I haven't played too many older than Crono Trigger... sorry I was a platformer fanboy as a kid.

BEST:
Paper Mario - The graphics are not the only thing that's unique in this RPG. The battle system is among the first turn-based games that require button commands. Not just tapping buttons, like minigames or something.
The best way to tell you is with a video of a battle:

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne- Imagine Final Fantasy mixed with Pokemon. Turning enemies into allies never felt so good. The battle system was also among the best in the genre, exposing weaknesses and resistance added so much strategy to the game.

Persona 3 - Great battle system inspired by the rest of the series, but the soundtrack, characters and the school gameplay makes this rpg stand out.

Parasite Eve - A nice change for the genre. Some may not like the battle system but it is among the best "solo" style systems out there. Also, how many Horror rpgs were there at the time?

Half/half:
Dark Cloud - Good game concept mixing "Sim City" with a dungeon crawler. Maybe Level 5 tried too hard on the rpg side? The combat was a bit stiff, there are breakable weapons and the thirst meter made the game frustrating at times. Also, there's a time where you wish there wasn't so many playable characters. You have to take care of all of them, the weapons the thirst meter ect. I had trouble keeping a decent amount of money. I sold my bait from fishing to keep up with the water and weapon repair...

WORST:
Evergrace- A very average action rpg. Also among the first on the PS2. However, this I believe used to be a PS1 title and they enhanced it. Still, this doesn't help the stiff combat and boring gameplay (IMO).

video:

Jul 9, 2008 2:50 PM

Nov 2007
I'm just going to do two because I'm lazy XD

In my opinion...

BEST: Tales of the Abyss
-in depth plot
-fun battle style (action-RPG)
-interesting characters with lots of character background side quests
-fun extras: skits, costumes, cooking, etc.
-good voice acting

WORST: Legend of Dragoon
-poor localization and grammar
-weak, predictable storyline
-generic, bland characters
-interesting, but broken battle system

Jul 15, 2008 6:46 PM

Mar 2008
Yea, Koudelka weapons breaking easily was annoying. The story was good though.

I didn't like FFVII. It isn't the worst RPG I've played, but it disappointed me quite a lot. Since everyone loved it so much, I thought it was going to be great, but it wasn't. I didn't think any of the characters had much personality, like they could have switched half of the characters around part way through the game and I wouldn't have gone, 'that character should be saying that'. I wouldn't have even noticed. The boss battle was so easy it made me really sad, I was like that was it!!! It took me like 5-6 mins to beat it. And the twist with her dying, I wasn't even sad she died, I didn't even care. I was like, cool she died. I think the game would be much better with voice acting, then they could add a little bit more feeling behind the characters. idk. I know most people won't agree with me, since everyone likes the game so much. I think the reason I disliked it so much is because it was so hyped and it didn't live up to it in my opinion.
BatmanfreakJul 15, 2008 6:50 PM
Jul 16, 2008 12:53 AM

Jul 2008
My favorite RPG of all time is Thousand Arms by Atlus for the PlayStation. It combined many elements that were new at the time into one game full of adventure and great humor. It was also the first RPG I played with voice acting!

My second favorite RPG was Final Fantasy X. The implementation of voice acting coupled with truely stunning visuals really immersed me into their world. It was also the only time I've managed to 1-hit the final boss in any game. (Zombie Strike + Phoenix Down on the boss!) And I loved that underwater soccer game, whatever it was called. My team was unstoppable.

My third favorite RPG is Tales of Symphonia for the GameCube. I didn't even own a GameCube and never thought of purchasing one prior to the release of this game. I loved the entire cast and had a great time throughout the journey. Imagine my excitement to find out this Tales game was getting a direct sequel! Good thing I purchased that Wii.

My least favorite is probably Eternal Ring for the PlayStation 2. It's an action RPG in first person kind of like a very crappy Elder Scrolls. I don't know what to say about this one. Boring play, boring story, boring presentation. Every other RPG I've played was more fun than this one.

Other RPGs I enjoyed were:
Magna Carta
Tales of the Abyss
Ys
Valkyrie Profile 2
Lunar 1 and 2
Mario RPG
ShadowHearts: Covenant
Disgaea
Final Fantasy XII
Mass Effect (PC)
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
p0pr0cksJul 16, 2008 1:01 AM
Jul 18, 2008 3:39 PM

Jul 2008
Best - Fable: The Lost Chapters. I liked everything in it. It's best game I've ever played. Storyline was perfect, game style just for me.
The only bad thing - game is really short.

Worst - I can't even think of one. Maybe because i'm very picky.

Jul 19, 2008 2:00 AM

Mar 2008
Best - Final Fantasy Tactics
Worst - The Granstream Saga (aka Faceless Adventure xD)

Sorry for my English ;)
Jul 20, 2008 2:26 PM

May 2008
best: star ocean: till the end of time, it had a great story, brilliant characters and a really fun and original battle system.. the twists were unexpectable and they made it possible that you adjust the difficulty level to your taste.. id give this game 10/10
worst: hmm.. let's see.. i guess ill say suikoden iv, the only word to describe it is boooooooring.. the battle system was really boring and almost had the same features for every character, the storyline was short and if it wasnt for the character recruitments id say it would end in like 7 hours max.. the only fun part about it was the minigames but thats all
Jul 31, 2008 10:29 PM

Mar 2008
Here are my best, I forgot to do this in my last post.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Really fun, great storyline, good main characters, gives the players lots of choices in how to make your party. Can have lots of game time.

Shadow Hearts: I love the story and characters!

Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2: The both have great storylines and characters. When I first saw trailers for this, I thought it was going to be stupid. But I played it and it was great!

I think that is a good list for now. Might do more later.
Jul 10, 2009 5:47 AM

Mar 2007
Best

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time: I was suprised about how good it was. I diden't evan know that it was a RPG game i just think that it was an ordinary Mario platform game. Best game for NDS

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: One of my first RPG game and it was this one that made me an RPG lover.

vampire the masquerade bloodline: Awsome dark game and an big plus is that your character is a vampire ;)

Zelda seies: Well it was Wind walker that made me love the zelda games. Everyone knows whats great about Zelda

Kingdom hearts: Well the best PS2 game you can get. The story is relly good and you get to meet a whole bunch of familiar faces

Worst:

Two worlds: Well this one feels like a bad ripoff off Oblivion, it had alot of bugs and the controls sucks

Final fantasy 12: The only FF game i have played. I don't like turn-based RPGs so thats why i havent try FF before. But this game wasent so bad and i don't relly know why im not loving it lika everyone ells dose. I just don't
Instagram: Luzifurr
Jun 14, 2010 9:24 PM

Oct 2009
THE BEST:
Fire Emblem: Blazing Swords ^^
Final Fantasy XII
Rogue Galaxy
Tales of the Abyss
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

The Worst:
Chrono Trigger
Kingdom of Hearts series
Lunar: Dragon Song
Hoshigami Remix
Poppy_DreamJun 14, 2010 9:32 PM
Oct 8, 2010 9:12 AM

Feb 2005
Best;

Final Fantasy Tactics
The best FF of them all. Great tactical gameplay, a brilliantly realistic and grim medieval setting and a mature story full of political schemes and intrigues. Also has some truly splendid characters, Delita in particular.
The only problem worth to note is that grinding becomes boring rather quick (Especially grinding for the Dark knight class in War of the Lions), and for all the various classes and things you can do, many of them are rather useless. A bit more cutscenes and interaction with the characters in your party would have been desirable as well.

Knights of the Old Republic
One of the best SW games and RPGs in one package. lots of interesting characters and interactions, a good combat system and some of the most awesome story twists I've come across.
The sequel would also have been worth a mention, especially for characters like Kreia, but sucked a bit what with being unfinished and all.

Mount & Blade
One of the most engrossing real RPGs I've played. The huge amount of possibilities almost guarantee several playthroughs, whether you want to join one of the factions and conspire against your fellow vassals, build a trade empire or forge your own kingdom. The battles are awesome as well, raining arrows from horseback or riding into the enemy infantry and cleaving them up with your blade isn't the sort of fun I tire of quickly.

Mass Effect (Series as a whole, not just the first game)
A solid scifi setting with some great and memorable characters (And also some disappointing ones like Samara, Jacob and Miranda) and a mostly good story. What really lifts it all up however, are all the choices and how they affect the sequels. That being said, we're still waiting for them all to wrap up in ME3, so putting the series amongst the best here might be rash as of now. But if ME3 delivers, it will be a great example of what RPGs are really all about.

SMT: Devil Survivor
It's a bit slow in the start with a lot of days being seemingly wasted on walking back and forth, but once the story starts to unravel in the end, it all finally comes together. With a eventually awesome story with lots of different routes and interesting characters, there's nothing much here I didn't like.

Other good or great titles that don't quite make it to the top list;

Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Persona 3
Front Mission
Infinite Space
Golden Sun (I & II)
Breath of Fire II
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Age
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Borderlands
Bioshock
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
The World Ends With You
The Longest journey
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Wild Arms 3
Pokemon (Red and Crystal especially)
FF IV, VI, VII and IX

Naturally, a lot of these aren't truly RPGs, but if we're going by the bastardized version of the term where the FF games can be considered RPGs, then why not Zelda and Bioshock?

Then the worst;

Final Fantasy XIII
So, a generic story made out of cliché plot elements we've seen a hundred times before (Anyone seen Ergo Proxy for example?). A cast of characters where the worst are annoying and infuriatingly obnoxious, the best are bland and generic and the villains are paper cutouts you see in a couple of cutscenes as if that's enough to make you care about them. And a world with a genuinely interesting visual design that sadly doesn't get to shine because you hardly get to see anything of it besides all the endless corridors you walk through.
As for the battle system, it feels like a extremely dumbed down and restricted version of XII's gambit system.
At least FFX 2 was fun to play aside from the terrible story and characters. XIII doesn't have that excuse.

FFX 2
Like a dumbed down copy of FFX with a crappier plot, crappier characters and a slightly better battle system. Overall crappy though.

Unlimited Saga
I'm all for thinking out of the box and taking a novel approach, but Unlimited Saga is a prime example of a case where something went wrong in the process. Making the areas like a board game might sound interesting in theory, but when you make them long and confusing, full of traps and treasures you won't get if you fail the lockpicking minigame and then add a limited number of turns available, things doesn't look so good from my perspective.

Rogue Galaxy
I don't know whether it was the iffy "space is an ocean" setting, the generic story or the disappointingly boring characters (Which was sad, since some of them seemed rather interesting at first) that finally got to my nerves, but in the end, I dropped it and probably won't be taking ti up again.

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
This one disappointed me for several reasons. First of all, a pet peeve of mine; bringing swords to a gunfight is silly, and there are only a really few settings like Wh40K and Star Wars that manage to justify it. This game didn't even try.
Also, as if crash landing on a medieval world once isn't enough, for some reason, you play the majority of the game on some other undeveloped world.
The characters are largely the standard trite clichés you'd expect from a generic JRPG, and while the story definitely have some interesting twists, I can't help but feel it should have been presented a lot better.
The battle system is alright, but the ridiculous grinding required for the optional content is just silly. And while it brags about having lots of different endings, none of them really add anything substantial to the story, and they are all a product of some obscure character relation system that you have very little control of rather than a clear interaction and relation system.
Aug 17, 2012 5:52 PM

Apr 2012
The best RPG has to be any tales series main games and Nintendo's RPG with mario in it as they are awesome. The worst has to be quest 64 as it is just way to down played for its own good and I thought its was going to be a good game.
Aug 17, 2012 5:53 PM

Apr 2012
StormyClouds said:
THE BEST:
Fire Emblem: Blazing Swords ^^
Final Fantasy XII
Rogue Galaxy
Tales of the Abyss
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

The Worst:
Chrono Trigger
Kingdom of Hearts series
Lunar: Dragon Song
Hoshigami Remix

Why would you considerd chrono Trigger a worst game? Its far from being a worse game.
Jul 17, 2013 2:01 PM

Jun 2012
The Best ?
Dragon Age : Origins
The Witcher

The Worst ?
Gothic 4: Arcana
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Which game has the best storyline?

kachosen576 - Jun 29, 2008

13 by GOAscend »»
Feb 10, 2015 3:25 PM

» Which game are you planning on getting in the near future? ( 1 2 )

69 by Shadake »»
Jul 17, 2013 1:59 PM

Poll: » The Backloggery

HerrRiz - Apr 28, 2009

18 by Veldarth »»
Jan 9, 2013 8:32 PM

Poll: » Favorite battle system

feder - Dec 3, 2008

3 by Animewolfguy »»
Aug 17, 2012 7:22 PM

» Which games do you constantly play over & never tire of.. ( 1 2 )

80 by Animewolfguy »»
Aug 17, 2012 10:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.