Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 29, 2007 6:01 AM

Jul 2006
Which was your first?

Did you start liking sports animes right then and there?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 29, 2007 8:50 AM

Dec 2006
Captain Tsubasa was my first. I instantly fell in love with the series, being a soccer fan. I made sure to rush home everyday from school to watch it at 4:30 hehe.

Of course I didn't know what anime was back then, but I can definitely say it was one of the first few anime that got me into it.
リスト 。。

Jul 30, 2007 12:01 AM

May 2007
Prince of Tennis <3 I thought it was gonna be lame, but i watched it anyway cuz i was bored and i was addicted right away. But PoT definetly did turn me on to sports anime...

DRAGON EGGS!!!!
Help them hatch:
Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM

May 2007
My first anime was Venus Wars or Akira i can't remember thought but its one of these two.
Well i didn't watch any sports anime at first :) i just started loving them about 5 months ago :)
zone of the enders
Jul 31, 2007 9:47 AM

Oct 2006
My first was Captain Tsubasa. But i was a kid back then so, nope. Actually I didn't even know it was anime at that time :P
Aug 2, 2007 2:17 PM

Aug 2007
My first anime was probaby Dragon Ball, but I was too simple minded to like it a lot. My first sports anime was PoT.
Aug 2, 2007 4:11 PM

Jul 2006
hmm... like a few of you others, my first sports anime was PoT.

I watched it out of pure spite... i saw the title and said to everyone "what is this piece of shit. how can they make an anime of over 150 eps about tennis?"

but of course i fell in love with it instantly ^_^
Aug 2, 2007 7:55 PM

Aug 2007
PoT inspired me to play Tennis.
Aug 3, 2007 6:38 PM

Jul 2006
lol, i bought a racket, but then my brother "borrowed" it.... its been over a year o_o
Aug 3, 2007 7:45 PM

Jan 2007
Cubinthebox said:
PoT inspired me to play Tennis.

me too. dragged my best friend with me and after three years, we made it to state.
Aug 3, 2007 9:18 PM

Aug 2007
i just started playing this year but im alrite and my friends think im an idiot to let an anime inspire me
Aug 3, 2007 9:32 PM

Jul 2007
Captain Tsubasa

Yes =)
Aug 6, 2007 11:51 PM

Jul 2007
Pokemon i think but i was realy realy realy small then it's like 5-6 years back or something :P
Aug 14, 2007 11:19 PM

Aug 2007
Captain Tsubasa!

Ah good times
Dec 26, 2007 12:41 AM

Oct 2007
my first sports anime was Touch. i downloaded it in middle school when i was looking for kodocha files (the site also had detective conan and touch). i thought i wasnt going to like it but it was pretty awesome. i never finished the series though lol.

but what really got me into sports would defenitely have to be the tennis scenes in marmalade boy & prince of tennis haha. and yeah, PoT nspired me to play tennis too XD haha
Jan 28, 2008 8:54 AM

Oct 2007
My first Sport anime was Captain Tsubasa. At the time I was playing a soccer championship in the school hahahah. So, I tried some movements that I saw in the anime hahaha. Well, just worked 10% xDDD. Old times when I was a kid..

See ya.
Mar 31, 2008 5:40 AM

Mar 2008
my first sport anime is .........whats the tittle again......hmmmm......slam dunk!!..... i dont like it that much cause i never played basket ball before....i knew it was an anime cause ever since i was 4 yrs old i was watching anime....... but my fave sport anime is prince of tennis it inspired me to join our tennis club in school..... i tried some movements some of them worked perfectly.......wait... why i'am i telling all of this to you!!!!!????
Apr 1, 2008 2:27 AM

Nov 2007
No, but my first sports anime is uh, It was either Ginabn Kaleidoscope (I just like, watched it a year ago) or something else. Wait, Suzuka is before GK, SO Suzuka? But SLAM DUNK, I've watched before Suzuka... so I don't know.

Apr 25, 2008 12:02 AM
Jul 2007
I can't even remember my first anime... Doesn't matter really, my first sports anime would have have had to have been one of three.

Major (I definately watched the first season before watching h2, touch, ect.) I followed the Inuyasha connection to her other works and found baseball animes. Everything from princess nine through old schools like touch and h2 right up to the third season of major.

Another start point might have been hungry heart wildstriker. I think the Japanese name might have been aoki detsu shoot something...

On the matter of going out and purchasing a racket because of PoT. That I've never done... However I have always loved soccer even when I was little, anime's let me continue that love even though I'm so out of shape I could never run a whole field again if I tried. I was good at reading people and had strong kick but my juggling skills were poor and wasn't quite as accurate on shots as I would have liked. I could get it in the net... Just never was quite sure exactly where it would end up in it if I went for a full weight shot. Thus I spent a lot of time on defense. Regardless Captain Tsubasa might be the Only soccer anime I haven't somehow managed to watch yet and one of my all time favorites is Whistle!

I also some how convinced my room mate to purchase a full size body bag after I got him to watch Hajime no Ippo.... We have yet to figure out where we can safely mount it...

The third start point might have been back before I started actually downloading them. I was streaming off you tube back in june-ish 05-06, watched initial d, one piece, all kinds of stuff. But the one sports anime I remember watching way back then was Slam Dunk! Which I regret never finishing, the rest of the episodes from like 70 on had been deleted off youtube at the time and I've simply just never made it back to it.

Regardless of where it started... To this day sports animes are generally a safe bet for my favorite type of anime. They are consistently entertaining. Sports type animes can even make Friggen Go and Mahjong exciting. When you think about that, seriously... That's a Big thing, I'm not normally the kind of nerd that gets so drawn into chess for instance that my adrenaline starts pumping like I'm watching Hajime No Ippo use his Dempsey Roll on Sendo the Naniwa Rocky.

p.s. Yes, I talk too much. Thus the reason I don't post much. Thanks for the invite though eh?
Apr 25, 2008 1:19 AM

Jul 2006
Satudo said:
p.s. Yes, I talk too much. Thus the reason I don't post much. Thanks for the invite though eh?

LOL!

not at all... ^_^

HHWS and aoki densetsu shoot are actually 2 different animes.

im glad i saw PoT first because it gave me a good starting point for liking different sports animes. if i had began with major or oofuri then i might not be able to appreciate older ones.
Apr 25, 2008 2:21 AM
Jul 2007
Don't be so sure about that. A good story is a Good story regardless of when you encounter it. That's the biggest thing that the Japanese got right that the Americans and the few Canadian products we actually have usually don't. Pictures are merely a way to convey a story, doesn't matter how pretty the pictures are if the stories crap. Unless your an artist of some sort pictures alone are never enough to keep ones attention for long.

I'd like to think anime trancsends time, space, generations, and nearly everything else. Kind of like good music. Why do you think shows like Bleach and Captain Tsubasa are still so popular after all these years? You found the venue, you found the product was good... Exploring the other options is only a matter of time.
Apr 25, 2008 2:45 AM

Jul 2006
i guess ur right about that, but you see many people nowadays saying that they dont like this and that because they just couldnt stand the artwork/style.

a nice example could include akagi.

art and style play a big part in anime.
Apr 25, 2008 3:54 AM
Jul 2007
That's like saying you won't read Ludlum because your a Clancy fan. Or that you won't read Stephen King because your an Anne Rice Fanatic.

Nothing we can do for the poor narrow minded souls... Except pray for their awakening to the realm of imagination and free spirit. Heh, if you don't like the style I say make something more suited to your tastes and share it with the world.

Don't get me wrong, It's not like I don't have preferences. But any mediums a good medium so long as the stories good, at least for me. Most ruling governing bodies will settle for 40-50% of the majority vote. A lost soul here or there is unfortunate but no more then that single yellow grain of rice that's still in it's shell. and toughened by the cooking.

A good story will last, perhaps not as well it might rust a bit if the imagery is terrible but nonetheless it will continue to circulate long past it's expected expiry date. If people enjoy the smurfs or the muppets right along side the racoons, yoda, and captain planet...

Regardless of the medium, images of a bull, blue hedgehog, aristocat, mouse, ninja turtle, dog, dalmation, jackrabbit, kitsune, or even a talking car... So long as it's Good, it's good. Even Baby's, Sharks, Horses, and Seals... Anything that exists on this good green earth of ours and aliens from far beyond it's vast blue shores.

If it's a good story, they will come. Although I'm not sure if anyone will get the field of dreams reference.
Apr 25, 2008 4:06 AM

Sep 2007
My first animes were things like Darkside Blues, Vampire Hunter D, Akira, and Devilman. It was a while before I got around to a sports anime and I think my first was Battle Athletes.
Apr 25, 2008 6:21 AM

Jul 2006
i still cant get used to that avy T_T

=)
Apr 25, 2008 9:00 AM

Oct 2007
hmm my first anime was UFO Grendizer or Tetsujin 28 not sure which onei watched first (;O.O) , but my first sport anime was Captain Tsubasa for sure :)

Apr 25, 2008 10:11 AM

May 2007
My first sports anime was Slam Dunk, I think. At least I don't remember watching a sports anime specifically before then.
Apr 25, 2008 12:17 PM

Jul 2006
i only remember mine because i made such a huge deal about it in a negative way, but when i actually started watching it was super addictive.
Apr 25, 2008 1:14 PM

Jul 2007
I think my first sports anime was Dear Boys...

I didn't want to watch tenipuri at first because I hated tennis XD; but eventually I gave in to the bishis and quite enjoyed it and even started liking real tennis! xD
now I'm on a baseball roll tho XD
Apr 25, 2008 1:40 PM

Jul 2007
My first anime from being a kid was Samurai Pizza Cats.

When I actually got into anime and learned what it was when I watched Vampire Hunter D.

My first sports anime was Prince of Tennis. My first sports manga was Eyeshield 21 and ended up being one of my favorite sports anime/manga.

Going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.
Apr 25, 2008 1:58 PM
Oct 2006
Eh, I honestly don't remember what my first sport anime(s) was/were. I never really avoided sports anime because it sounded lame from what I can remember, it just came "naturally" :P If I were to guess it would probably be hikaru no go, initial d, ippo, major or slam dunk but as I said, I don't really remember :P
Apr 25, 2008 2:37 PM
Dec 2007
My first anime was DBZ on cartoon network.. It was sheer accidental too. My brothers friend was over and we were playing some great mario kart for the n64. However it was 10 minutes till 5 PM and he said he wanted to go home to watch his TV show. Well with nothing else to do we told him he could just watch it here, we will give it a shot too. Turned out to be DBZ and was hooked from then on.

First sports series I believe was Hikaru no go.. but honestly can't remember.
Apr 25, 2008 6:37 PM

Nov 2006
Omg...my first anime probably was Pokemon. Lol Or Sailor Moon. I can't really remember. I mean, I've been a huge anime fan for 10 years now. Lol

But I wasn't a huge anime sports fan before maybe 2 years ago. I mean, I just couldn't imagine how good an anime about a sport could possibly be if it didn't have martial arts, guns blazing, people fighting, things blowing up...you get the picture. But then I sat down and watched PoT and tah-dah! I love sports anime now! ^_^ It also helps that the guys in that show are incredibly HOT! Lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2008 8:20 PM

Mar 2008
My first sports anime was Prince of Tennis. When I first started watching it I thought it was kinda weird but then after watching a few episodes I loved it. And now I'm learning how to play tennis better.
Apr 25, 2008 8:33 PM
Mar 2008
Prince of Tennis was the first sports anime i saw it was being aired over here in the US on cartoon network. At first i didnt like it but it grew on me but then i found eyeshield 21 then i got totally hooked on trying to find sports anime
Apr 26, 2008 5:34 AM

Sep 2007
Elfen lied is my first anime. =)
Apr 26, 2008 11:28 AM

Apr 2008
My first sports anime was Prince of Tennis but my first anime overall was Samurai Pizza Cats ages ago.
Apr 26, 2008 1:25 PM

Jul 2006
PoT is really winning out but for good reason.
Apr 26, 2008 4:30 PM
Nov 2007
Wooww.. Lots of peoples first sportsanime is Prince of Tennis! I really need to look at that one... It should be good stuff...

Anyhow, my first sports anime that I liked, was Ookiku Furikabutte. I just downloaded the torrent from TokyoTosho without knowing what kind of anime it was.
I liked it, because it was quite funny and Mihashi, the main character/pitcher, reminded me of myself. That kind of attitude, I had that when I was younger.

I guess Hikaru no Go is also a sports anime, but didn't like it as much as Oofuri.
Apr 26, 2008 7:01 PM

Sep 2007
ahh first sport anime?
Hajime no ippo !!

sry =)
Apr 27, 2008 4:30 AM
Jul 2007
Heck I'd forgotten all about samuria pizza cats... That was probably the first even before dragonball and slayers. I was watching that back in the days when I was still hooked on the friggen ninja turtles and before the first season of power rangers ever aired in the first place LOL.

... I might have to go watch it. Although I'm not sure how it's going to hold up after all these years.
Apr 27, 2008 10:03 AM
Dec 2007
For me my first anime was naruto i watched it to episode 45 in english on TV but was like there has to be a quicker way being it's not produced in America. so finally i started looking for the japanese versions and come to find out that there are 210 episodes out i was really happy and watched them all in 1 weekend.

then i ran around for a bit watching many different types of anime and found Hajime no ippo witch was amazing then from there i watch all sorts of sports anime from football,baseball,soccer,cycling and all the way down to golf,and yoyoing anime
Apr 28, 2008 12:32 PM

Jul 2006
yo-yo? thats a new one for me o_O
Apr 28, 2008 3:06 PM

Sep 2007
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?id=2703
Chosoku Spinner is about yo-yo duels XD
Apr 28, 2008 4:05 PM

Jul 2006
well, thats different... o_o

thanks =)

edit: ah no wonder i havent heard of it, no subs.
May 4, 2009 8:28 AM

Apr 2008
ive just recently started getting into sports anime!

'technically', the first sports related anime i watched was one outs (baseball). but it doesnt really fall into the sports anime category neatly & it wasnt the one that made me look for more...!

so my first sports anime would be hajime no ippo! i absolutely loved this series (& the manga!) & now its an 'all-time' favourite. <3

Jun 21, 2009 4:57 AM

Apr 2009
My first anime was Ganbare! Kickers, ten years ago.
Jul 11, 2009 8:52 PM

Jul 2009
My first sports anime was Prince of Tennis. Though I didn't really start to get into the sports anime genre until I recently started watching Cross Game. Now I can't stop watching sports anime! Currently making my way through Initial D. :)
Jul 26, 2009 12:10 PM
eyebrows nerd ★

Jun 2009
My first was Ookiku Furikabutte, and it was they fault that I got sticked with sports anime^^
Now I'm addicted to baseball and team game...
Aug 4, 2009 3:02 PM

Oct 2008
Captain Tsubasa ;D I watched it when I was a kid and I loved it XD I think my love for sport animes is all thanks to this anime =)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Apply for Staff

Mayuka - Nov 25, 2015

12 by Mayuka »»
May 14, 2018 10:41 AM

» Running/Track & Field

Dodecahedron-O24 - Apr 17, 2014

8 by RunningShirtGuy »»
May 9, 2018 12:38 PM

Sticky: » Introduce Yourself ( 1 2 3 )

June - Dec 5, 2007

139 by RunningShirtGuy »»
May 9, 2018 12:36 PM

» Sports anime/manga that inspired you to play the game?

Vivie - Nov 25, 2015

40 by Mishina »»
Jun 29, 2017 4:52 AM

» What Sports Anime are you planning to watch? ( 1 2 )

underMebius - Aug 2, 2008

57 by -Ayu »»
Dec 24, 2016 1:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.