Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Aug 25, 2015 5:22 AM

Jul 2014
Terrible finale to continue the trend of utter mindless shit that started in episode 9. The father's change of heart was stupid, retarded, bullshit and simple plot convenience, and why the hell would they let Murasaki stay there, regardless of what she or the father said. Actually, why would she even want to stay.

Before episode 9, I was considering giving this 8/10, but since then it fees like even giving this a 6 is generous. I will give it a 6 though, simply because it did start really well.
Aug 25, 2015 1:27 PM

Jan 2013
danieltortoisee said:
The father's change of heart was stupid, retarded, bullshit and simple plot convenience, and why the hell would they let Murasaki stay there, regardless of what she or the father said. Actually, why would she even want to stay.

Because the show is about redemption and her father isn't a total douchebag? Honestly people, I don't get why this ending is so alien to all of you, it's the only natural conclusion. Murasaki never really hated her father, she hated the deplorable archaic traditions they held of in-breeding and caging the Kuhoin women. Her father was struggling between upholding the family's status quo out of pride and wishing for the best for his daughter going against the family values. He truly cared for his daughter but was unsure of what to do and still possessive of her. Shinkuro's mission to infiltrate the Kuhoin mansion showing his conviction towards giving Murasaki free will was not in vain - he used violence to fight off the stubborn bodyguards but when he confronted Murasaki's father, he tried his best to convince him to let Murasaki make her own decisions, which she did, and they helped the dad clear his head. Murasaki saw that her father did care and they shared some nice moments in the past, he just needed some outside help to see clearly.

If Murasaki went back with Shinkuro or if Shinkuro and gang killed the other Kuhoins, that would just make Shinkuro a tad self-righteous and arrogant and believe that these people are incapable of change and their family should be condemned forever, even if only held by heritage values and not individual ones. The brother needs sorting out of course, but the father is still the head of the household and can monitor and educate the jaded brother, plus Shinkuro is allowed to see Murasaki whenever he wants really, so if the brother was threatening her, he'd kick his ass again.
Nov 26, 2015 11:37 PM

Apr 2009
Great ending. Can't ask for more. 8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2016 2:52 PM

Mar 2010
You know, I'm torn on this. I really loved the episodes before the action kicked in. There were well-written, smart dialogues, characters were refreshing, story seemed interesting etc. etc. Even the drama part had a good premise. But then it suddenly devolved into shounen with people being heavily injured and healing within minutes (I'm looking at you, Yayoi), our hero conveniently curb-stomping everyone despite being fairly incompetent just seconds ago, very improbable action sequences... I don't know, I love over-the-top action, but only when it's well-placed. This anime tried to be a bit more serious than that. Then again, I kinda liked the ending.
So, 7/10? Probably.
Jun 2, 2016 4:21 PM
Apr 2013
I just could not like the end of this show.

Shinkurou promises to protect Murasaki. When he finally has to fight for her, he doesn't even try and they take her away.

So he decides to try again, goes back, fights half-heartedly and loses again.

Third time's the charm, he finally fights somewhat seriously and wins.

And then there's the Kuhouins. "We have always done this and you outsiders have no say!"

To which the main cast essentially responded by kicking in their front gates and beating the shit out of them all.

Even then, "Shut up, you have no say!"

Why the hell do you think they just beat the piss out of your entire family? Did they not prove their point when they crashed a car through your mystical f*ing Inner Sanctuary that they think your entire line of thinking is f*ing bullshit?

And finally Murasaki, deciding that the best choice is definitely to stay with the family that wants to use her for breeding cattle. How the hell can anyone willingly support people like that?

How is staying fighting, and leaving running away? Leaving shows that you're done with their shit and are going to go on and actually have your own life. But no, let's just refuse to sit in this particular building, but still get knocked up by the nutjob big brother, that sounds like great plan.

Gahhhh this ending just threw the otherwise good show straight off a cliff.
Dec 16, 2016 11:21 PM

May 2010
This show is so underated. Episode 6 was amazing, the ending was a little sad and didn't have enough closure. I absolutely love the residents in Samidere.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 23, 2017 5:38 AM

Feb 2013
Really bad ending.
I was expecting him to take her away.
I can't understand how can she live in the same house with those monsters, that place needs to be burned.
Apr 15, 2018 4:34 PM

Jun 2012
Anime was pretty bad.

I'll be generous and give a 6.
Sep 18, 2018 4:08 PM

Oct 2015
Even though Yayoi won in the end but I still think Lin is the best fighter out of the two. As for Shinkurou and Murasaki, I think Murasaki made the right decision and a logical one to stay in there to fight the family within. It was a surprising decision and a very unique one in anime world.

I feel like the show neglected the houzuki horn, I really wanted him to use it more but oh well. The overall show wasn't bad though, but it is too unreal like how can three people sneak into a powerful family bare handed and walk out alive without being shot at ( where were the villains guns).

6/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 23, 2020 1:31 PM

Jan 2019
Lmao at Shinkurou's face and movements while using the blade in his arm, now I kinda regret wanting him to use it.

Not the best ending out there but it's not like the anime was very good either. I'm glad they left Shinkurou and Murasaki's relationship ambiguous tho, since it would've been disgusting if they ended up together.
Jul 20, 2022 6:28 AM
Jan 2020
Why did I watch this?
Dec 11, 2022 8:30 PM

Sep 2020
Not the ending I wanted to see but it's serviceable. Real change has to start from within, right? But seems kind of weird that Ryuji somewhat usurped his grandfather a short while ago, and now that he got his ass kicked a little bit we are to assume that he's going to go along with his father and Murasaki's wishes? Okay, then. Nothing stopping him from taking absolute control again, locking them both up, and beefing up security so they don't get raided again.

Besides that, awesome show. It really tugged the old heartstrings at times. I do wish they never introduced that arm blade, though, as it was underused and unnecessary. Should have just been straight martial arts skills like Yayoi.

9/10
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Feb 18, 2023 10:03 AM
Jan 2022
AngelsArcanum said:
danieltortoisee said:
The father's change of heart was stupid, retarded, bullshit and simple plot convenience, and why the hell would they let Murasaki stay there, regardless of what she or the father said. Actually, why would she even want to stay.

Because the show is about redemption and her father isn't a total douchebag? Honestly people, I don't get why this ending is so alien to all of you, it's the only natural conclusion. Murasaki never really hated her father, she hated the deplorable archaic traditions they held of in-breeding and caging the Kuhoin women. Her father was struggling between upholding the family's status quo out of pride and wishing for the best for his daughter going against the family values. He truly cared for his daughter but was unsure of what to do and still possessive of her. Shinkuro's mission to infiltrate the Kuhoin mansion showing his conviction towards giving Murasaki free will was not in vain - he used violence to fight off the stubborn bodyguards but when he confronted Murasaki's father, he tried his best to convince him to let Murasaki make her own decisions, which she did, and they helped the dad clear his head. Murasaki saw that her father did care and they shared some nice moments in the past, he just needed some outside help to see clearly.

If Murasaki went back with Shinkuro or if Shinkuro and gang killed the other Kuhoins, that would just make Shinkuro a tad self-righteous and arrogant and believe that these people are incapable of change and their family should be condemned forever, even if only held by heritage values and not individual ones. The brother needs sorting out of course, but the father is still the head of the household and can monitor and educate the jaded brother, plus Shinkuro is allowed to see Murasaki whenever he wants really, so if the brother was threatening her, he'd kick his ass again.

WTH the father had sex with his sister/daugheter/some other direct blood relative to give birth to Murasaki.... And also the whole familly promoted and condoned in child molestation, abuse, rape, human rights violations all over the place. That dude with all the family should be injail for multiple life sentences. I am not sure what backwards country you come from but even in third-world countries such as Romania these crimes are unforgivable and unforgetable no matter what family partakes in them. You must be joking if you think that just because they followed some traditions they are no longer accountable for the atrocities they commited and then not reported then continued and promoted the same practices under the guise of traditionalism. For this comment alone you should be in jail. OMG i hope you get to be held in a place like that for the rest of your life and experience what the Kohuin women experienced. 
Feb 18, 2023 10:08 AM
Jan 2022
lihle808 said:
Even though Yayoi won in the end but I still think Lin is the best fighter out of the two. As for Shinkurou and Murasaki, I think Murasaki made the right decision and a logical one to stay in there to fight the family within. It was a surprising decision and a very unique one in anime world.

I feel like the show neglected the houzuki horn, I really wanted him to use it more but oh well. The overall show wasn't bad though, but it is too unreal like how can three people sneak into a powerful family bare handed and walk out alive without being shot at ( where were the villains guns).

6/10.
The decision should have been to report this to internation law enforcement... They commited crimes, atrocities, vile acts that involved kids. There is no fighting from inside, there should be no member of that family outside of high security jails, they are all either the ones that commited those rapes, child molestations, child abuse or are acomplices to those crimes. Not reporting a crime is also a crime. 
Feb 18, 2023 12:56 PM

Jan 2013
doesntmatter93 said:
AngelsArcanum said:

WTH the father had sex with his sister/daugheter/some other direct blood relative to give birth to Murasaki.... And also the whole familly promoted and condoned in child molestation, abuse, rape, human rights violations all over the place. That dude with all the family should be injail for multiple life sentences. I am not sure what backwards country you come from but even in third-world countries such as Romania these crimes are unforgivable and unforgetable no matter what family partakes in them. You must be joking if you think that just because they followed some traditions they are no longer accountable for the atrocities they commited and then not reported then continued and promoted the same practices under the guise of traditionalism. For this comment alone you should be in jail. OMG i hope you get to be held in a place like that for the rest of your life and experience what the Kohuin women experienced. 
Jesus, dude, this is a work of fiction and I certainly don't endorse what the Kuhoin men have done. This series uses a somewhat dramatic scenario to articulate corrupt, faulty institutions of "tradition" and their pressures and how individuals seek to overcome them. 

In my initial retort, I was moreso harping in on the point that they argued the father's change of heart was contrived when he certainly tried to be a good father to Murasaki where he was allowed to be. Murasaki was borne of illicit, uncomfortable origins and she lived a sheltered life, but I don't think she was actively abused except by her stepmother who gets the boot iirc (and I don't mean that to undermine what is happening, I just genuinely forget some of the specifics after 8 years). Her father tried to be nurturing and supported her where he could within the parameters of the tradition that the grandfather and everyone else kept pressuring him to uphold, he tried to be a good person and a good father and she saw that humanity still in him and wanted him to be able to atone and free himself and everyone else from the shackles of the Kuhoin tradition that was putting them at odds with their better intentions and individualism. 

Whether or not you agree with them being worthy of redemption is your prerogative, the Kuhoin clan have a wretched history and how much you're able to swallow with the gravity of what acts the series uses to illustrate these kinds of moral failings and a yearning to overcome them might be too extreme for you, but it's the hopeful sentiment of seemingly iron-clad traditions being able to be reformed or taken down as well as faith in the individual's capacity to change that I like about it broadly. 

The Kuhoin are shown to be a very politically powerful family, so the degree to which Shinkuro and the others could go to the authorities might be a bit difficult (and just as well, them keeping Murasaki's initial kidnapping under wraps was also likely a move on their part not to become the attention of scandal, so Murasaki got to try and lead a bit of a normal life and learn about the world before they tried to bring her back and she made her own conclusions). It can speak to different societies' customs about laws vs mores (personal or general) to be put under the microscope and how hard those can be to change, it's a loaded issue. 

Murasaki said she wanted to live with her father but be able to leave freely, and the combination of her conviction, her father's change of heart and Shinkuro's hard fought efforts and continued pressure to help Murasaki and pressure her father all allow her and the family to be free. If Murasaki wanted to turn her family in or go back to living with Shinkuro, she just as well could, it's her choice, she just wants to believe her family can change and be good. 

And to reiterate, it's fiction. I can admire the sentiments about hope for change the series expresses through the filter of knowing that it's all fake and more of a dramatically embellished scenario I won't equate 1:1 with reality. If this exact scenario happened irl, I'd probably feel differently about.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kure-nai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zvuc - Apr 24, 2008

70 by MeanEYE »»
Feb 25, 1:20 AM

Poll: » Kure-nai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

SteveKeys - May 29, 2008

95 by Ronninn »»
Jun 17, 2022 2:53 AM

Poll: » Kure-nai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

radiantfire - Apr 18, 2008

82 by towelgirl21 »»
Dec 14, 2021 2:20 AM

» Protagonist sucked

Blackmanjones6 - Oct 15, 2021

2 by Blackmanjones6 »»
Oct 28, 2021 4:37 AM

Poll: » Kure-nai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FireReaverX - Apr 10, 2008

96 by CalmTeaTime »»
Jun 4, 2021 10:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.