Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 24, 2011 6:00 PM

Jul 2009
Probably.

It's less harmful than alcohol health-wise, and it doesn't cause violence. I drink a shedload and have never once been violent.. but for some reason a fair amount of people do get violent whilst drunk. Stoned folk can't be arsed being violent.

However, if legal, I think mental health problems would increase (this whole issue is debatable, but a friend of mine smoked a lot and is now schizophrenic). Also, there's no denying weed kills motivation in most people. We really don't need anymore lazy people in today's society.

astronomical said:
KidGrim said:
If Marijuana was made legal then it would make life easier for a lot of people and also cut down the amount of people sent to prison each year and sort out the problem of prisons being over crowded.
Exactly.
Instead of taxpayer money going to keep people in prison (who got there because of marijuana), pot should be taxed.
More money for the government, less waste of the government's money.

The whole prison thing is debatable. A lot of people go to prison for selling contraband tobacco.... at least they do here in the UK (prices are ridiculous in comparison to other European countries). I can see the same thing happening with weed if the government legalise it, but tax it to death.

I smoke the occasional bit of gange myself, if it's going to be legalised I'd probably be glad, unless it's more expensive than obtaining it illegally. Let's face it.... it's easy as hell to get hold of anyway. Also, I reckon the tobacco vs. weed debate is stupid. When I smoke weed I start coughing up crap and get a sore throat. I smoke cigs daily (albeit very few) and never have any problems. I reckon this assumption is because it's -usually- something done in moderation, in the long run I think it has a worse effect on your lungs/throat.

Reading through that.... my opinion is pretty two-sided. Let's just say I'm undecided.... I don't think I really care.
Jun 24, 2011 11:09 PM

Dec 2010
My points for legalization:

1. it's a victimless crime (as I see it, if there is no one that is directly harmed, then it's not necessary to undermine the freedom of the individual)
2. economic boon due to tax revenue
3. a regulated product with actual safety standards
4. cuts down on the strain on the legal system, including police, courts, prisons, etc
5. deals a significant blow to drug cartels, who make a considerable amount of money from the marijuana trade
Jun 25, 2011 12:51 AM

Dec 2010
Have there ever been reported deaths on marijuana overdose?
Jun 25, 2011 10:29 AM

Sep 2009
its legal in Holland, iWas there last year, in Amsterdam, fuck, iNever felt so Good.
Jun 25, 2011 3:06 PM

May 2010
Of course. Things like those should be for people. I happened to smoke it once, and it's not for me, I guess. I felt to <weird> after that, it wasn't good thing. Ganja Trip ? Yes, but for people who wants it badly ;33
Jun 25, 2011 3:28 PM

Dec 2010
im 50/50 on this
Yes, well because its just a plant and way better then Alcohol
No, i`m afraid when its legal the government will raise the price. And it is already pretty expensive now
Visionary
Jun 25, 2011 10:53 PM
Nov 2009
I can't seem to get 2 matching opinions on how dangerous marijuanna is, no one seems to agree :\ But if it's no more harmful than alcohol, and it's use could be taxed, then sure, why not?
Jun 25, 2011 11:51 PM

May 2008
kjra92 said:

No. There has never been a documented case of marijuana overdose.

In order for a human to consume enough marijuana to be fatal, they would have to consume nearly 40,000 times the amount of THC required to intoxicate them. In contrast, it only requires about 5 to 10 times the amount of alcohol required to intoxicate, to be fatal. For example, if it requires 3 beers to intoxicate you, it only requires 15 to 30 beers to kill you. However, if it takes you 3 'hits' of marijuana to intoxicate you, it would require 120,000 hits to kill you. Thus, it is virtually impossible to die of a marijuana overdose.

And yes it should be legal.
Jun 26, 2011 1:42 AM

Dec 2010
Nabi123 said:
kjra92 said:

No. There has never been a documented case of marijuana overdose.

In order for a human to consume enough marijuana to be fatal, they would have to consume nearly 40,000 times the amount of THC required to intoxicate them. In contrast, it only requires about 5 to 10 times the amount of alcohol required to intoxicate, to be fatal. For example, if it requires 3 beers to intoxicate you, it only requires 15 to 30 beers to kill you. However, if it takes you 3 'hits' of marijuana to intoxicate you, it would require 120,000 hits to kill you. Thus, it is virtually impossible to die of a marijuana overdose.

And yes it should be legal.

It's settled then. It should be legalize.
Jun 26, 2011 7:55 PM

Jun 2011
Marijuana is just a plant, you can get similar effect from other plants if you go bush hunting. The only reason they made it illegal is so that pharmaceutical companies can keep selling them privately to patients, dealers are a profit stealer to them thats why they enforce all these stupid laws to make it illegal. Alchool used to be illegal , 10 times worse than a plant.
muplayer2000Jun 26, 2011 8:05 PM
Jun 26, 2011 8:42 PM

Oct 2009
NOTHING SHOULD BE LEGAL!

Come on guyz! We proles have got to stick together <3

Jul 4, 2011 12:08 PM

Jun 2011
Oh definetly! It's safer than alchohol and the economy would do so much better. After all, marajuana is the second biggest cash crop in america.
fluffy-luffyAug 11, 2011 3:51 PM
Jul 4, 2011 6:14 PM

Dec 2008
Yes it should. So many people do it in the first place. Its such a helper when you want to get to sleep and it's better then alcohol.
Jul 4, 2011 8:44 PM

Dec 2007
Everything must be legal! And why not since those who are forbiding it are using every kind of drugs...they're stealing, using, cheating etc...Since that's the case no one has tha right to give me the 'moral codex'

I'm working like crazy 14 hours a day for 1.50lv bg per hour ( 0.75 pouds ) I DO need an efficent rest after this torture o.O
Jul 4, 2011 8:56 PM

Feb 2010
I'm pretty sure it does harm and its disgusting. It can get you high and when your high you could do worse things. Along with cigarettes, I don't know why they aren't illegal. Alcohol in moderation isn't bad, sometimes it's actually healthy, so I have no argues about that. I guess taxing it wouldn't be bad yay for money
Jul 5, 2011 10:42 AM

Jun 2011
Actually you do worse things when you're drunk then when you're high. My friend got the shit beat out of him by someone who was drunk just last night. When you're high, you're happy.
Jul 5, 2011 10:57 AM

Apr 2009
Sure, why not. No one gives a shit what potheads have to say anyways because nothing they say is ever important. And honestly, if you need pot to help you sleep or relax, you're not a stable individual to begin with, or you've become dependent but you're too far in denial to admit it. Grow up and do coke like an adult, you're not in the 7th grade anymore.
Jul 5, 2011 11:03 AM

Dec 2010
Yes but for medical purposes ONLY. As a medical student, any misuse of it=NO APPROVAL.

http://www.ukcia.org/medical/medicinaluseofmarijuana.php

More recently, in 1980, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) of the National Academy of Sciences, at the request of the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services and the director of the National Institutes of Health, agreed to conduct a review and analysis of health-related effects of marijuana. IOM's findings recognized marijuana's therapeutic potential in decreasing the intraocular pressure for glaucoma patients, controlling the severe nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy, acting as an anticonvulsant, relaxing muscles and thus counteracting spasticity problems, and other uses. The IOM investigators highly recommended further research to determine the full therapeutic potential of this drug.
Jul 5, 2011 11:05 AM

Aug 2007
HyperCobaltMax said:
Yes but for medical purposes ONLY. As a medical student, any misuse of it=NO APPROVAL.

http://www.ukcia.org/medical/medicinaluseofmarijuana.php

More recently, in 1980, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) of the National Academy of Sciences, at the request of the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services and the director of the National Institutes of Health, agreed to conduct a review and analysis of health-related effects of marijuana. IOM's findings recognized marijuana's therapeutic potential in decreasing the intraocular pressure for glaucoma patients, controlling the severe nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy, acting as an anticonvulsant, relaxing muscles and thus counteracting spasticity problems, and other uses. The IOM investigators highly recommended further research to determine the full therapeutic potential of this drug.

There is nothing wrong with using it recreationally.
Jul 5, 2011 12:03 PM

Feb 2005
smokahontas96 said:
Actually you do worse things when you're drunk then when you're high. My friend got the shit beat out of him by someone who was drunk just last night. When you're high, you're happy.
Not necessarily. There are plenty of drugs that can turn people aggressive or paranoid, and even weed can have unpleasant effects depending on the person, how strong it is et cetera.
But what does set weed apart is that it is generally relaxing, unlike alcohol.
Jul 5, 2011 12:18 PM

Jun 2011
skutieos said:
Yes, it should be legal. It's a victimless crime. Arresting, trying, and imprisoning people who were in possession of marijuana is a waste of time and tax payer money, when they aren't even real criminals.

Either way, I don't smoke.

I concur. Also, it's not as dangerous as alcohol and cigarettes are. Those two cause a lot more problems than marijuana.
Jul 5, 2011 1:53 PM
Jul 2018
Not many people seem to have mentioned that smoking marijuana regularly tends to make people lazy and reduces motivation.

When I was at school some of my friends smoked pot, while some did not.

All the ones that didn't smoke pot regularly have managed to find purpose in their lives, while all the ones that did are now struggling to make ends meet and are trying to claw their way back up the social ladder.

One could argue that drinking alcohol exessively could do something similar, but I don't think alcohol has such a drastic effect on motivation; true, it has its own problems and you'd have to be a fool not to recognise that, but pot tends to suck you in slowly and then you have a hard time getting out of that.

Pot may not be addictive like cigarettes are, but doesn't it's negative effect on motivation make it hard to give up anyway?
Jul 5, 2011 4:08 PM

Aug 2007
AnnoKano said:
Not many people seem to have mentioned that smoking marijuana regularly tends to make people lazy and reduces motivation.

When I was at school some of my friends smoked pot, while some did not.

All the ones that didn't smoke pot regularly have managed to find purpose in their lives, while all the ones that did are now struggling to make ends meet and are trying to claw their way back up the social ladder.

One could argue that drinking alcohol exessively could do something similar, but I don't think alcohol has such a drastic effect on motivation; true, it has its own problems and you'd have to be a fool not to recognise that, but pot tends to suck you in slowly and then you have a hard time getting out of that.

Pot may not be addictive like cigarettes are, but doesn't it's negative effect on motivation make it hard to give up anyway?

Because obviously your idiot friends are like the rest of the people who smoke weed regularly.
Jul 5, 2011 4:20 PM
Apr 2011
here in the netherlands its legal you can just smoke some marijiuana on the street.
but you still need to look out for the people around if they dont like it then you may not smoke
Jul 5, 2011 5:42 PM

Jun 2011
I can imagine the first week after legalization...all the cookies and chips will be sold out at every supermarket.
Jul 23, 2011 3:16 AM

Jul 2011
I understand how it would be good economically, but still.. does health not matter? Yes its not as bad as other things but its STILL BAD. i hate it when people say that stupid crap.
Jul 23, 2011 4:13 AM

Mar 2009
Gh0Stt said:
I understand how it would be good economically, but still.. does health not matter? Yes its not as bad as other things but its STILL BAD. i hate it when people say that stupid crap.

So uhh, what health hazards are harboured by marijuana exactly? If anything, marijuana is beneficial to one's health in specific cases. Besides the unfounded theories of causing very minor mental effects in the long run (which is not proven, just assumed), there's nothing else that marijuana can be blamed for. It's not addictive, it's not causing cancer or any other such a physical disease. It will only provide the user with a feeling of mild euphoria and relaxation and that's all there is to it.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Jul 23, 2011 4:20 AM

Jul 2009
After scanning the first page, i think i'm going to be one of the few people to disagree.

I do think that it should be illegal, along with smoking cigarettes. In short - its damaging to your health and makes you do crazy shit. Personally, i dont see why you would damage your health in the long term just for a temporary state of euphoria.

On another topic, cigarettes really should be banned too - at least in public. You are affecting everyone who has to enhale the smoke that comes out of your cigarette.
Jul 23, 2011 6:56 AM

Jul 2007
fai-san said:
In short - its damaging to your health and makes you do crazy shit.
This is also what alcohol does but you don't seem to want that banned.
Jul 23, 2011 7:43 AM

Oct 2009
Gh0Stt said:
tl;dr inc

Moderate alcohol drinkers tend to have better health and live longer than those who are either abstainers or heavy drinkers. In addition to having fewer heart attacks and strokes, moderate consumers of alcoholic beverages (beer, wine and distilled spirits or liquor) are generally less likely to suffer strokes, diabetes, arthritis, enlarged prostate, dementia (including Alzheimer's disease), and several major cancers.

Cigarettes have no real benefits except for their therapeutic effect, I believe.

American Association for Cancer Research has found the marijuana actually works to slow down tumor growth in the lungs, breasts, and brain considerably.

Marijuana is a muscle relaxant and has “antispasmodic” qualities which have proven to be a very effective treatment of seizures.

Since medicinal marijuana was legalized in California, doctors have reported that they have been able to treat more than 300,000 cases of migraines that conventional medicine couldn’t through marijuana.

Marijuana’s treatment of glaucoma has been one of the best documented.

Marijuana works to stop the neurological effects and muscle spasms that come from Multiple Sclerosis.

A USC study showed that marijuana is not only a perfect alternative for Ritalin but treats the disorder without any of the negative side effects of the pharmaceutical.

Marijuana has shown that it can help with symptoms of the chronic diseases as it stops nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.

In 2006, Scripps Institute proved that the THC found in marijuana works to prevent Alzheimer’s by blocking the deposits in the brain that cause the disease.
The downside is that 1 joint is the equivalent to 5? (I keep getting different numbers) cigarettes.

Short version: Everything is BAD if it's overused, but the benefits of marijuana outweigh the risks.
GogettersJul 23, 2011 7:53 AM
Jul 23, 2011 7:58 AM

May 2010
Scud said:
fai-san said:

I would say they will also have to ban wine as well, and if they do they not only have to face winery companies, but alsomany restaurants who serve it as well.

Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 23, 2011 10:12 AM

Aug 2007
Gh0Stt said:

So? Why don't you want other shit illegal that is already legal? You might as well ban fast food too.

fai-san said:
After scanning the first page, i think i'm going to be one of the few people to disagree.

I do think that it should be illegal, along with smoking cigarettes. In short - its damaging to your health and makes you do crazy shit. Personally, i dont see why you would damage your health in the long term just for a temporary state of euphoria.

On another topic, cigarettes really should be banned too - at least in public. You are affecting everyone who has to enhale the smoke that comes out of your cigarette.

It makes people do crazy shit? You definitely have never smoked or been near somebody who smoked marijuana.
Jul 23, 2011 1:06 PM

Jul 2008
Even if they did legalize and tax it, who would buy it? Every pothead I know would just grow it themselves. I seriously can't think of anyone who would buy it, except maybe people who have never done it before.

Of course, in a perfect world it would be legal, but I honestly don't see that happening. At least, not any time soon.
Jul 23, 2011 4:55 PM

Jun 2011
abyssus said:
Even if they did legalize and tax it, who would buy it? Every pothead I know would just grow it themselves. I seriously can't think of anyone who would buy it, except maybe people who have never done it before.

Of course, in a perfect world it would be legal, but I honestly don't see that happening. At least, not any time soon.

This. This is so true if I think about it. At least with my group of friends, lol. Don't get me wrong though, I don't smoke. I mean I've tried it, buy I'm over that phase.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world." -Unknown
Jul 23, 2011 7:06 PM

Aug 2007
Schonn said:
abyssus said:

This. This is so true if I think about it. At least with my group of friends, lol. Don't get me wrong though, I don't smoke. I mean I've tried it, buy I'm over that phase.

Because smoking marijuana is totally a phase.
Jul 23, 2011 7:32 PM
Jul 2007
It should not be legal. Marijuana is so bad for you! It causes:

Bronchial cell damage, which makes your immune system go down. (It is also an immunosuppressant)
Can accelerate the symptoms of AIDS and HIVs
Respiratory Illness
Brain damage

I mean I know we all want the freedom of choice, but I think it is wise that we have rules on drugs, because it protects us. However, smoking and drinking is another separate issue, and should not used as an example to support this drug getting legalized.
Jul 23, 2011 8:26 PM

Aug 2007
kaleidostar1187 said:

Bronchial cell damage, which makes your immune system go down. (It is also an immunosuppressant)
Respiratory Illness
Brain damage

I mean I know we all want the freedom of choice, but I think it is wise that we have rules on drugs, because it protects us. However, smoking and drinking is another separate issue, and should not used as an example to support this drug getting legalized.

I demand a source on all your claims. Cigarettes are far worst than marijuana will ever be so to call it a separate issue is hypocritical bullshit.
Jul 23, 2011 8:40 PM

Apr 2009
Rikatei said:
I'm pretty sure it does harm and its disgusting. It can get you high and when your high you could do worse things. Along with cigarettes, I don't know why they aren't illegal. Alcohol in moderation isn't bad, sometimes it's actually healthy, so I have no argues about that. I guess taxing it wouldn't be bad yay for money

Wtf,where'd you get that information from?
Do you even know what happens when you get high lol.

kaleidostar1187 said:

Respiratory Illness
Brain damage

Source?
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Jul 23, 2011 9:58 PM

Jul 2011
Yeah I believe most drugs on the spectrum should be legalized, this is the land of the free right? Tax the shit out of it... That being said, I have not and will never smoke the ganja, the smell is simply intolerable.

(Stupid stoners always end up in front of me and ruin my concert experiences)
Jul 23, 2011 9:59 PM

Jun 2008
xxangelchanxx said:
kaleidostar1187 said:

Respiratory Illness
Brain damage
Source?
http://www.ukcia.org/research/EffectsOfMarijuanaOnLungAndImmuneDefenses.php

Google does wonders. And in case you wonder about credibility, check the buttload of cited referenced papers, as well. To suit your skepticism.
Jul 23, 2011 10:21 PM

Jun 2011
Drunk_Samurai said:
Schonn said:
abyssus said:

Because smoking marijuana is totally a phase.

My bad, I probably should've worded it better. What I meant to say, is that there was a time in my life where I was using (or perhaps being persuaded by my friends to use) marijuana. I've done it a couple of times already and I'm done with it. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people that have gone through the same thing.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world." -Unknown
Jul 24, 2011 1:38 AM

Apr 2008
kaleidostar1187 said:

Respiratory Illness
Brain damage

Tachii said:

Google does wonders. And in case you wonder about credibility, check the buttload of cited referenced papers, as well. To suit your skepticism.

Those papers you linked are from 1997

I found some more up to date research by the same doctor, on the same website...

http://www.ukcia.org/research/SmokingGun/critique.php

"UCLA's Dr. Donald Tashkin studied heavy marijuana smokers to determine whether the use led to increased risk of lung cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD. He had hypothesized that there would be a definitive link between cancer and marijuana smoking, yet the results proved otherwise. "What we found instead was no association and even a suggestion of some protective effect," says Dr. Tashkin, whose research was the largest case-control study ever. The study was funded by the National Institutes of Health.

Tobacco smokers in the study had as much as a 21-fold increase in lung cancer risk. Cigarette smokers, too, developed COPD more often in the study, and researchers found that marijuana did not impair lung function. Dr. Tashkin, supported by other research, concluded that the active ingredient tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, has an "anti-tumoral effect" in which "cells die earlier before they age enough to develop mutations that might lead to lung cancer."

There is no link to lung cancer from smoking Marijuana and they even found some positive effects.

In the same study by Dr. Tashkin they found that by smoking Tobacco you increase the risk of developing lung cancer by 21-fold (2100%)

He did however include this at the bottom,

However, the smoke from marijuana did swell the airways and lead to a greater risk of chronic bronchitis.

This was one of the side effects in the 1997 study you originally linked. Chronic bronchitis is nothing more than a chronic cough that produces plegm and mucus. It can be avoided if you smoke your marijuana through a vaporizer or by consuming foods (such as cookies) that contain marijuana.

Tachii, you are misinformed on this subject.

Oh, and just so you know. I do not smoke Marijuana.
byoushinJul 24, 2011 1:52 AM
Jul 24, 2011 2:45 AM

Jul 2011
I see no issue with legalizing it provided it can not be smoked publically. The same could be said with cigarettes though and a lot of cities are now banning public use. Even "assuming" it's as dangerous as cigarettes, prosecuting and incarcerating "potheads" is a major drain of resources for something I feel is a "victimless" crime at best.

As far as if it causes cancers I've seen reports that go both ways, so it's hard to say for sure, but I find that irrelevant. To the claim of "brain damage" I'd like to see a medical journal supporting that claim as well as the claim "makes you do crazy stuff" lol is all I have to say. Again no source and this forum is full of crazy stuff that's made the news and I don't see any that revolved around marijauna use O.o

Jul 24, 2011 3:53 AM

Jul 2009
Scud said:
fai-san said:

Alcohol is already legal, they cant undo what they've already done because the industry is too large and there'd be too much protest etc. etc. They dont have to legalize marijuana to make matters worse.
Jul 24, 2011 6:11 AM

May 2011
na cause then everyone would be burning it xd
Jul 24, 2011 7:29 AM

Apr 2008
fai-san said:
Alcohol is already legal, they cant undo what they've already done because the industry is too large and there'd be too much protest etc. etc. They dont have to legalize marijuana to make matters worse.

It would only make things worse for the government (if they don't tax it). The government in the US makes money off having people in prison so having less people behind bars would mean less money for the government. The pharmaceutical industry would lose millions too and a lot of the pharmaceutical companies have a say in politics by financially supporting people in power. If a politician is anti-marijuana 90% of the time it's because of religious reasons or a financial reason, it's very rare that they have real facts to back their opinion.
Jul 24, 2011 7:43 AM

Apr 2009
Tachii said:
xxangelchanxx said:
kaleidostar1187 said:

Respiratory Illness
Brain damage
Source?

lol 1997
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Jul 24, 2011 10:25 AM

Aug 2007
fai-san said:
Scud said:
fai-san said:

I think you mean make matters better.
Jul 24, 2011 10:35 AM
Jul 2011
I think Marijuana should be legal for many reasons, but mainly because I think it's an American citizen's right. This is supposed to be "the land of the free," so stripping us of the right to smoke whatever we want is violating that. The government is corrupt, which is the only reason it's illegal. Alcohol and cigarettes are just as bad, and they're legal. I think all drugs should be legalized. The government needs to stop interfering in our personal lives.
Jul 24, 2011 10:59 AM

Apr 2009
nesynes said:
I think Marijuana should be legal for many reasons, but mainly because I think it's an American citizen's right. This is supposed to be "the land of the free," so stripping us of the right to smoke whatever we want is violating that. The government is corrupt, which is the only reason it's illegal. Alcohol and cigarettes are just as bad, and they're legal. I think all drugs should be legalized. The government needs to stop interfering in our personal lives.
Yeah, let's make cocaine and meth legal, I'm sure that won't blow up in our faces at all."The government is corrupt, which is the only reason it's illegal." is a pretty ignorant statement. Using the legality of alcohol is bullshit. Yeah, it's legal, but guess what, people abuse it now more than ever. In the current generation, making something illegal, legal, is just incentive to use. It's still the same drug, it gets you the same high, but now it's easier to get. That backwards retarded logic about making drugs legal will incur moderation or abhorrence pretty much went out the window a good 20 years ago.
ReaperEXEJul 24, 2011 11:09 AM
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

709 by zzz »»
1 minute ago

» How are your cooking skills

ST63LTH - 8 hours ago

14 by Dachitosoru »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you collect trading cards?

Malkshake - Apr 30

24 by vasipi4946 »»
58 minutes ago

» is blocking users a admitance of cowardice?

vasipi4946 - 1 hour ago

1 by deg »»
1 hour ago

» FAvorite philosopher and Why ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Nov 4, 2018

117 by deg »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.