Forum Settings
Forums
New
Stream or Download?
Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 7, 2011 1:30 AM

May 2011
Download of course because i'm looking for quality .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2011 2:02 AM

Apr 2011
Am I the only one buying my anime? :O [/sarcasm]

OnT: I download because I hate to wait in the middle of an episode. And that happens a lot with my internet.
Jun 7, 2011 3:22 AM

Aug 2010
Seems like there are many downloaders, like myself in any case...since I got MALu, streaming is no longer an option. Now I download anything I watch, mainly because of the low quality streaming offers and my tv which can be connected to my pc and supports a 16:9 resolution ratio xD
As for collecting animes, I'm collecting only the ones I liked very much.
Jun 7, 2011 3:47 AM

Sep 2009
-Kazu said:
..With the amount of anime I watch, downloading every single thing would be a huge pain in the ass. Streaming is so much quicker and the quality is amazing depending on how long you decide to wait, but hey, If quality really bugs you, the DvDs are always available~

One word for you: Batch.
Jun 7, 2011 5:27 AM
Apr 2011
I always download , i don't like steams because of the buffering and the quality sucks most of the time.

Jun 7, 2011 11:08 AM

Jan 2009
Download (or buy). 'Cuz I'm a quality freak.
Jun 7, 2011 11:48 AM

Nov 2010
vjacobs said:
Fuzzhx said:
download mostly. i rarely stream anymore. for a number of reasons:
-i have unlimited bandwidth
-i have a decent amount of space on my hard drive and only keep some of my favorites.
-im a quality freak
-since i watch my anime on my tv the quality matters even more.
-i like using my own media player (click anywhere on screen/spacebar to pause, press a key to rewind 5 secs incase i missed some subtitles, turn the subs on or off if i want a screenshot etc.)

My reasons for downloading are exactly the same.
But at my dorm I do stream because they blokked torrents

I also forgot to add: using my own media player i can use my mouse wheel to increase/decrease the volume. besides better quality, its always the little things like that, that make your anime watching experience that much more enjoyable.

and the only rare case i stream is if its a somewhat long series, and i can find a High Quality stream of it, an example would be Monster.
Jun 12, 2011 2:19 PM

Jan 2009
GuruMaddog said:
I got this wonderful 2 TB external hard drive for $60 during a holiday sale, so I have plenty of space to store and re-watch every anime that I want. Playback issues are almost non-existent and can be fixed with ease. Only when I cannot download a series that I want to watch do I look for a stream of that series (e.g. Neon Genesis Evangelion).

I think I got the same hard drive as you! 2 TB Western Digital from Target on Black Friday?

Anyway, I download all my anime now for a few reasons:

1. I can get 720p downloading and streaming quality sucks in comparison. (soon 1080p when I get my new computer and it's fast enough to play in 1080p)

2. I can watch as much as I want, when I want. A lot of stream sites limit you (*cough* MegaVideo *cough*). And if I download it, and want to watch it again someday, I just go to my hard drive and it's there, no need to look for it online again and hope it wasn't removed.

3. I have access to a lot more anime. A lot of shows get removed from sites like Veoh, MegaVideo, YouTube, etc., but it's pretty much impossible to remove a torrent (even though a lot of episodes have direct downloads).

4. I can choose a fansub group easier. When you stream, you pretty much guess at which sub group your watching and they could be the worst ones. But when I download, I can choose which group has the best subs and download all the episodes from them.
Jun 12, 2011 2:30 PM
Jul 2010
I buy some anime. That which i dont buy i usally stream, not all concerned about quality.
Tremble before my Darkness!
Jun 12, 2011 3:09 PM

Jun 2009
SuWern said:
Definitely download.
Personally am an anime collector and the thing i love most is to see my anime collection growing.

Downloading isn't really the same as collecting now is it?

Say you buy a DVD, you own it. You can keep it or sell it, fact is, it has value. When you have that same anime as a file on your HDD, it has no value, it is simply a file that can be easily gotten anywhere. Sure, you can "collect" as much anime as you want by downloading it, but a the end of the day, a single DVD is more valuable than an entire HDD full of anime.
Jun 12, 2011 4:29 PM

May 2009
In truth I rather watch stuff legally on my TV because I don't like watching things on my computer and I like the high quality. So I mostly buy/rent/stream through netflix on my Wii. But if I have to I'll download it because of the higher quality than streaming and the fact that you *have* it on your computer so you can watch it anywhere, even if you don't have an internet connection.

Jun 12, 2011 4:30 PM

Jul 2010
Stream, my pc's download speed is :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2011 4:35 PM

Feb 2005
Jrittmayer said:

Say you buy a DVD, you own it. You can keep it or sell it, fact is, it has value. When you have that same anime as a file on your HDD, it has no value, it is simply a file that can be easily gotten anywhere. Sure, you can "collect" as much anime as you want by downloading it, but a the end of the day, a single DVD is more valuable than an entire HDD full of anime.
Still, it depends on your reason for collecting. If you just want a large library of entertainment, downloading is clearly the most sensible option.
But of course, if you want to have a collection more for collections' sake and to fill out your shelves, buying them is probably more sensible.
Jun 12, 2011 4:55 PM

Sep 2008
Download, I think all the time.. I can be sure about quality of what have I downloaded, no need to wait for load, and also I can everytime rewatch it again.
And share with others ^_~
Jun 12, 2011 5:06 PM

Jun 2009
Baman said:
Jrittmayer said:

Still, it depends on your reason for collecting. If you just want a large library of entertainment, downloading is clearly the most sensible option.
But of course, if you want to have a collection more for collections' sake and to fill out your shelves, buying them is probably more sensible.

Well, yeah. I just find it sad that people who might have been collectors are content with only downloading anime. It devalues the medium and makes it more of a "throw-away" hobby.
Still, a large digital library does come in handy at times.
Jun 13, 2011 11:34 PM

Jun 2011
Download. My computer is too slow to stream anything.
I don't have too much disk space, though :P When I want to download an anime, I must to delete previous anime serie :P
Jun 14, 2011 4:41 AM

Aug 2009
Download, so i can makes lots of sigs and avatars. They also serve as basis for my drawings.

Jun 14, 2011 4:50 AM
Oct 2010
always download
Jun 14, 2011 9:08 AM
Apr 2011
streamers>= faggots
Jun 14, 2011 10:18 AM

Jan 2011
Download!
Jun 14, 2011 10:30 AM

Mar 2011
I personally do both. I mainly download series which are completed, since the quality is higher then watching them via stream and since i don't have to be stuck at the desk, where my net is located. As for on-going series i prefer stream so i can watch them as soon as they come out without having to wait for dl times or any possible video issues.

Jun 14, 2011 10:48 AM

May 2011
Wow 70% of people download....im amazed. I stream cause I dont see the point to download all that material. Although I never watch an anime 2 times, no matter how much I like it. :]
Is there an upside when you download it?

Jun 14, 2011 11:25 AM

Feb 2008
Mikiel said:

Watching a series in non-eyecancer quality, being able to re-watch without having to wait for the episode to buffer and being able to watch a series in non-eyecancer quality.

Oh, and did I mentioned being able to watch a series in non-eyecancer quality?
Jun 14, 2011 11:31 AM

Apr 2009
Kayro said:
Mikiel said:

Watching a series in non-eyecancer quality, being able to re-watch without having to wait for the episode to buffer and being able to watch a series in non-eyecancer quality.

That only really applies if you're poor and can't afford the average internet connection.
Jun 14, 2011 11:43 AM

Jun 2011
Stream the first episode of an anime. If i like it, i download it.
Jun 14, 2011 12:06 PM

Aug 2007
Luisa-chan said:
and I would have to wait for the downloads to finish, why would I do that? why do people do that?

Who do people stream? I would have to wait for the video to buffer and finish, why would I do that? Why do you people do that?
HiasJun 14, 2011 12:40 PM

Jun 14, 2011 12:13 PM

Jul 2008
IDex said:
-Kazu said:
..With the amount of anime I watch, downloading every single thing would be a huge pain in the ass. Streaming is so much quicker and the quality is amazing depending on how long you decide to wait, but hey, If quality really bugs you, the DvDs are always available~

One word for you: Batch.

Assuming its a 12 episode series, by the time I finish downloading a batch, I could of streamed it and been finished, and the quality would of been about the same. I don't really see a plus side to downloading.
Jun 14, 2011 12:14 PM

Jul 2008
Dives said:
Luisa-chan said:
and I would have to wait for the downloads to finish, why would I do that? why do people do that?

Who do people people stream? I would have to wait for the video to buffer and finish, why would I do that? Why do you people do that?

Is your internet that bad? I can watch while buffering, and the video is usually done before I'm 3 minutes in..
Jun 14, 2011 12:46 PM

Aug 2007
-Kazu said:

Is your internet that bad? I can watch while buffering, and the video is usually done before I'm 3 minutes in..

No, but that wasn't really the point of my post.

And buffering a 20+ minute video takes a bit for anyone. Also you have the issues that most streaming sites aside from Crunchyroll or Hulu, use primarily megavideo. A source that only lets you watch so many minutes every few hours.

From my experience, quality is also normally better. And I prefer watching it through a separate window then my browser.

Jun 14, 2011 4:04 PM

Dec 2008
Mostly download but when I can't find download links for older or more obscure Anime I'll end up going to YouTube and stream it, the quality is almost as good.
Jun 14, 2011 8:13 PM

Jun 2009
Dives said:
-Kazu said:

No, but that wasn't really the point of my post.

And buffering a 20+ minute video takes a bit for anyone. Also you have the issues that most streaming sites aside from Crunchyroll or Hulu, use primarily megavideo. A source that only lets you watch so many minutes every few hours.

From my experience, quality is also normally better. And I prefer watching it through a separate window then my browser.

-Unless you have really low speed internet, you should be able to stream most things without having to stop and buffer.
-Well, Crunchyroll and Hulu are designed to be free streaming portals, which is why they work so well.
-Downloading you have to wait for it to finish downloading before you can watch it, so if your internet can't buffer streams then I imagine it takes a while to download something.
-Oh, and there's always the fact that downloading is illegal in most cases, and while theres a 99.99% chance no harm will come to you, theres always the very real danger of something actually happening. Companies are getting smarter and sueing more, and I predict it will only get worse.

Don't mind me, just playing devils advocate.
Jun 14, 2011 9:20 PM

Aug 2007
Jrittmayer said:

-Unless you have really low speed internet, you should be able to stream most things without having to stop and buffer.
-Well, Crunchyroll and Hulu are designed to be free streaming portals, which is why they work so well.
-Downloading you have to wait for it to finish downloading before you can watch it, so if your internet can't buffer streams then I imagine it takes a while to download something.
-Oh, and there's always the fact that downloading is illegal in most cases, and while theres a 99.99% chance no harm will come to you, theres always the very real danger of something actually happening. Companies are getting smarter and sueing more, and I predict it will only get worse.

Don't mind me, just playing devils advocate.

1. You still have to wait a few minutes regardless. if, especially like I pointed out, it's a full 20+ minute episode.

2. No shit

3. It doesn't take long to download a 200+MB episode

4. So is streaming licensed content, you'd be hardset to find a high percentage of users here who use Hulu or Crunchyroll

It doesn't really matter in the end. But you always get better quality from downloading, always. Watch your anime however you like I suppose.

Jun 14, 2011 11:42 PM

Jun 2011
If the internet sucks, I will do the downloads via torrent. But I prefer to watch it stream in the sites because my HDD is not as big as you guys have probably.

Exceptional, the anime that I really want to watch HQ/HD, I'll download it.
Jun 14, 2011 11:55 PM
Jul 2008
Providing speed is not an issue, both options are suitable in these cases:

- small screen: stream.
- big screen (19'' and up): download.

There is no reason why you should waste time on download and HDD space on high resolution and data size when it's pointless on 15 and 17 inch monitors.
Jun 15, 2011 6:55 AM

Dec 2009
Both but now mostly I stream.
Jun 15, 2011 8:19 AM

May 2010
Download . I can't think any other than download .
Jun 15, 2011 11:11 AM

Jan 2009
ReaperEXE said:
Kayro said:
Mikiel said:

That only really applies if you're poor and can't afford the average internet connection.

Your internet speed doesn't really effect the video quality...unless you are buffering and watching at the same point (so the video is always stopping). And you can't really comment on download vs stream quality if you've never downloaded. The 720p stream looks horrible compared to the 720p download.
Jun 15, 2011 11:50 AM

Dec 2009
Streaming can have good quality. It's just a sharing method.
The difference is due to the video source, limited by the server speed (cost limited).

Saying 720p stream looks horrible to download is a bad comparison as I suppose you are comparing 2 different videos. You need to stream you video downloaded with a local server and a flash player and compare with the player app you use to make a fair comparison.
Jun 15, 2011 2:59 PM

Mar 2011
Stream

I know that the quality is sometimes bettern when it's downloaded, but i prefer to just watch episodes right away, than waiting whilke it downloads, and then delete it

Jun 15, 2011 11:06 PM

Jun 2011
Stream, downloading takes too long for me. I'd only download if I planned on taking a trip and wanted some on the go episodes.
Jun 18, 2011 2:17 PM

Jul 2010
I mostly download my anime. I watch it then delete it afterwards in order to make more room for more anime episodes on my hard drive.
But I rarely stream because it tends to take a while for me to wait for it to load unless if I'm watching anime through Hulu or VizAnime
Jun 18, 2011 3:42 PM

Apr 2008
I used to stream for the longest time, but once you get used to the quality of downloaded stuff, it's hard togo back.
Jun 18, 2011 4:25 PM

Oct 2008
If there is a legal stream to be found, then I will watch the stream. It's not that I prefer stream. It just seems like the right thing to do.
Jun 18, 2011 4:29 PM

Apr 2011
Mainly download. I download a lot of shows at uni because they have unlimited bandwidth. But now that I'm on stuvac and then break, I'll have to stream some of ones that were ongoing when I was downloading.
~Miss_Jazzalyn~
Jun 18, 2011 4:46 PM
May 2011
download when the show is good but when the anime is ridiculously long like 100 ep plus then stream
Jun 18, 2011 6:46 PM

Dec 2008
Download for 720p. I have yet to find links that satisfy my HD-needs. I promptly delete them upon completion due to lack of space and because I know I won't be watching them a second time (any time soon).
Mine is better than yours.
Jun 18, 2011 9:50 PM

Aug 2010
download because i collect, i also buy them if i cant find good download speeds on animes that nobdy seeds

but i dont usually have a problem with download considering the speeds i have

but i usually by alot each year, now i dont know what to do with them
Jun 19, 2011 8:20 PM

May 2011
up until now ive been streaming all my anime, not knowing all the benefits of downloading, and just settling with the mediocre picture quality that comes with it. it wasnt until after i went through this thread that i discovered the rich feeling of watching an anime at its max potential. i thank tryer for making this thread as well as every1s input on the subject, for it was thx to you all i can enjoy my anime with the HD quality ive been yearning for so long :D
Jun 19, 2011 9:58 PM

Nov 2010
I stream for two reasons. One, my Interwebs connection is good and I have zero issues with buffering. Two, I'm too scared to download - afraid of viruses and whatnots.
Jun 20, 2011 12:15 AM

Apr 2010
It really depends on how old it is and how many episodes it has, If its 50ish or under episode I'll probably download it. But if it is say 400 episodes and 5years old I'm going to stream it.
Pages (13) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

22 by Akuya »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Current MAL Top 10 Most Popular Anime ( 1 2 )

LittleStar - May 4

59 by Akuya »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » How you decide what anime to watch next

ST63LTH - 12 hours ago

20 by Akuya »»
6 minutes ago

» Your longest record/streak

Yonahim_Zz - Today

45 by SwordBreaker36 »»
7 minutes ago

» Opinions on characters colors!

Yonahim_Zz - Today

37 by Akuya »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.