Forum Settings
Forums

Which KEY adaptations is the best? (Clannad, Kanon, etc.) Provide reasons!

New
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 28, 2011 10:44 AM
Dec 2007
I'll judge purely as anime here:

1.Clannad + AS - Uneven at points but it was the most complete package IMO.Anime Tomoya is also far easier to relate to than his VN version.
2. Kanon 2006 - Has the disadvantage of being one of Jun's earliest work but the characters really made up for it. Yuuichi and Ayu's past makes for some good drama, especially when you add the third wheel (Nayuki).

3 and 4 spots are really tied. Air has a good plot destroyed by bad execution and Angel Beats has a great premise and comedy destroyed by a limited amount of episodes and rushed events.

I have to echo the opinion of others here, the fact Little Busters! was slighted when it came to an anime adaptation is just criminal.

May 28, 2011 11:33 AM

Sep 2010
1. Clannad AfterStory
2. Clannad
3. Kanon 2006
4. Angel Beats
5. Air
Before you read my opinion, I would like to say that I love animes that make me cry xD It may sound a bit weird, but if an anime makes you cry, it means you were moved by it :)
Both Clannad and Clannad AfterStory had me crying throughout the whole series but Clannad is a bit on the slow side. Kanon 2006 was also really good and had me crying but Clannad/Clannad AfterStory was sadder. Angel Beats was sad but didn't get me crying and I personally thought the story wasn't really good because you barely know anything about the characters except for a few. Air got me to cry but the story went SO slow ._. the first half of the anime had me dying of boredom >_<
May 28, 2011 12:22 PM

May 2011
SimplyAsianx3 said:

Both Clannad and Clannad AfterStory had me crying throughout the whole series but Clannad is a bit on the slow side.

Hahahaha XD well i really do agree with that lols I'm Not much of a teary person, but It got very sad at certain parts, but at the same time it was slow....which was one of things that annoyed me about the show.

Leon-Gun said:

I have to echo the opinion of others here, the fact Little Busters! was slighted when it came to an anime adaptation is just criminal.

It is Criminal! Lols wonder how the game is like though I've looked at a few visual novel videos and seems like an amazing plot haha
May 28, 2011 3:22 PM
Dec 2007
HumorUAFD said:

Leon-Gun said:

It is Criminal! Lols wonder how the game is like though I've looked at a few visual novel videos and seems like an amazing plot haha
I'm playing the original with the latest patch (90% translated) and it's plot certainly draws you more. The fact your character is already part of a group of very tight friends make the story easier to relate to. The game has several manga adaptations so what gives, where's our anime season?

May 28, 2011 5:03 PM

May 2011
Leon-Gun said:
I'm playing the original with the latest patch (90% translated) and it's plot certainly draws you more.

Really huh? well how do you set up the game cause i wanna play it lols
May 28, 2011 5:04 PM

Feb 2010
1. Clannad
2. Angel Beats
3. Kanon 2006
4. Air

I loved Clannad, Angel Beats and Kanon, but Air was not very good in my opinion.
kingw0rmMay 28, 2011 5:10 PM
May 28, 2011 5:23 PM

Mar 2011
Clannad After Story~
I didn't like much the first season, but the second season were full of realizations which were quite good.
May 28, 2011 7:18 PM
Dec 2007
HumorUAFD said:
Leon-Gun said:
I'm playing the original with the latest patch (90% translated) and it's plot certainly draws you more.

Really huh? well how do you set up the game cause i wanna play it lols
There's a club here on MAL for the VN with the proper links. Legally you can import a copy of the game, download the translation patch and patch it up. Otherwise find an .iso of the game and a patch for getting around the CD requirement that the game asks for when you try to run it. The TL patch available automatically swaps the files for you but for other VN's you are sometimes forced to manually replace the original files wi the patch's files.

PS 1- I mentioned the legal option of importing the game purely because of MAL's rules but I'm not so stuck up on morals so it's up to you whether you take the legal choice or download a freebie.
PS 2- There's no translation for the H version of the game, called Little Buster! Ecstasy. A pity since it adds more events to every route and adds more routes/characters as well.

May 28, 2011 9:17 PM

Mar 2009
1. Kanon
2. Air
3. Clannad
4. Clannad after story
5. Angel Beats

1-3 are very close though :S
May 28, 2011 10:58 PM
Oct 2010
I am biased, I say Clannad(its very obvious if you knew me). I love the story, characters, music. It is by far the most touching, heartwarming, love story I've ever seen in any form of media. I love Clannad because It doesn't leave you hanging like most other romantic anime. You get to dig deeper into the personal life of a few main characters. Where most anime end in a kiss, this takes it to a whole new level of slice of life. I say this is the anime that every other should learn from. I wont go any deeper in fear of spoiling, but I do say I have never cried so much or have been touched by any characters, story, music, etc as I have with Clannad. It really is my favorite anime if all time, bar none.
May 29, 2011 3:10 AM

Apr 2010
Clannad After Story all the way. It haves awesome story, very deep characters, awesome music and it's very heartwarming, made me cry,laugh, sad, happy...it's just awesome...so..

1.Clannad After Story
2.Angel Beats
3.Air
4. ~~ [Kanon Ididn't saw it yet ]
May 29, 2011 9:46 AM

Aug 2010
angel beats es lo mejor que he visto buen junto con air hahaha
May 29, 2011 12:20 PM

Jul 2008
Hm. Clannad ~After Story~ was the best, just because it had the first season to back it up. And Angel Beats! just wasn't good enough in my opinion. I think it is a good show, but compared to the other Key adaptations. Not so much. My rankings would probably be...

1. Clannad ~After Story~
2. Air
3. Kanon 2006
4. Clannad
5. Angel Beats!
May 29, 2011 12:53 PM
Apr 2011
Clannad, easily. It was long, it's romance was great, had some healthy comedy, was the first anime to make me cry, and it was just generally beyond awesome.
Air was decent, but not really THAT great imo.
I only watched couple eps of Kanon but found it kinda boring. I might return to it later, tough.
Is Angel Beats even a romance, or is that relevant? Anyway I haven't watched it yet.
May 29, 2011 1:36 PM
Dec 2007
Annoyance said:

Is Angel Beats even a romance, or is that relevant? Anyway I haven't watched it yet.
It's mostly comedy with drama and romance blended in. The comparison here mostly comes from the fact it was produced by Key like the rest of the list.

May 29, 2011 5:26 PM

Aug 2010
Clannad, particularly After Story was stunning. On a scale of 1 to 10 it's a 15.

Angel Beats was completely crazy at times but it was just as completely enjoyable.

Air was ok, it had its moments. But it didn't work for me as well as Clannad or Angel Beats.

Kannon I haven't watched yet.

The nice thing is that you can watch all of them of course.

[With his dying breath]
Katsumoto: Perfect... They are all... perfect...
May 29, 2011 7:32 PM

Jan 2011
My favorite of those has and will always be Clannad After Story everything was great in it, music, story, characters it had all of it to make it great ! It pretty much stands alone compared to the others if you ask me xD. Not that I didn't enjoy the others it's just that Clannad was unique in alot of ways compared to those.

Then I would say either Kanon or Clannad (not AS) then Angel Beats then Air but hard to rank them since I enjoyed all of em :/

I am a man than can make the impossible, possible.
May 29, 2011 8:14 PM

Jan 2010
I watched Air so long ago that i can't really remember much about it D':
but i really love Angel Beats and Clannad!! >u<
Jun 3, 2011 9:55 AM

Sep 2010
1. Clannad/Clannad After Story
2. Kanon 2006
3. Air
4. Angel Beats!

after all what happened in my life, I finally realized.
God never say a thing. And God's silence has nothing to do with life or death.
Jun 3, 2011 12:21 PM

Apr 2010
I have trouble comparing angel beats to clannad and air. While all key works, Angel Beats is really an entirely different kind of series.

Angel beats is my favorite anime period currently so :P

Of the other series though, I only really enjoyed air. I couldn't get into kanon and clannad was just incredibly boring and unenjoyable for me. I had issues connecting with the characters, which is a big deal for animes like this.
Jun 3, 2011 4:52 PM

Feb 2010
People are leaving rankings left and right. I should follow suit.

4. Air TV
3. Clannad
2. Angel Beats!
1. Kanon 2006
0. Clannad: After Story

And by the way, Angel Beats! isn't a Key work, but written by Jun Maeda, who pretty much is Key itself. I can see why the two would be interchangeable though.
Jun 3, 2011 4:57 PM

Apr 2011
After story is life changing, first season is meh :#
Jun 3, 2011 5:19 PM

Dec 2009
Clannad is definitely the best. The story is much better and portrays real life situation quite well. I think the characters are quite good too.

“Many of us crucify ourselves between two thieves - regret for the past and fear of the future.”
~ Fulton Oursler
Jun 3, 2011 9:05 PM

Jun 2011
Personally, angel beats was amazing, but I wouldn't try and compare it to clannad/kanon/air because I find it way too different, though on sheer enjoyment

1) Clannad - Loved the storyline, especially the IW, good humor, Great characters with probably 2 out of every 3 characters I found amazing which isn't bad considering the number of them
2) Angel beats
3) Kanon, fewer characters and a smaller series, but every character was amazing, and great humor in parts, though a slightly confusing ending
4) Air, Maybe 2 or 3 characters I found I really liked, and 2 of them were from the past :/ The plot was super confusing too and didn't really make any sense especially towards the end but It was still very/quite good and I'm glad I watched it
Jun 4, 2011 1:12 AM

Jul 2010
1. Clannad
2. Kanon
3. Angel Beats
4. Air
Will you be able to do.... what must be done?

Jun 4, 2011 1:56 AM

Jan 2011
angel beats because it was one of my first anime
the tpmrpg floatzel trainer
become the strongest floatzel trainer [ ]
Cbox name: k9dutch get 2 white kyurem [ ] have 20k battles[ ] have 10k battles[ ] have 5k battles[x] get 1 poke lvl 100k [ ] get 1 poke lvl 50k[x] get 1 poke lvl 25k [x]
get 5k clicks at tree of live[ ]
Jun 4, 2011 3:48 AM

Nov 2010
1. Clannad +AS
1. Angel Beats

2. Air

and far behind lies Kanon.

I wouldn´t compare Angel Beats to any of the other Key Anime´s. It´s something on its own. And I loved it. Clannad and AS were the most beautiful things I´ve ever watched.
Air was quite nice, but Kanon was just boring. It took me about a month to finish those 24 episodes.
Jun 4, 2011 3:49 AM

Mar 2009
Haven't watched Air and Kanon. I'd pick Angel Beats though.
Jun 4, 2011 4:28 AM
May 2011
1. Clannad (both seasons)
2. Angel Beat
3. Kanon
4. Air

I love Clannad but some episodes were so sad though i loved the past stories including Angel beat.I think Angel beat is funnier though. :)
Jun 4, 2011 6:30 AM

Apr 2011
iHeartKookies said:
1. Clannad (both seasons)
2. Angel Beat
3. Kanon
4. Air

I love Clannad but some episodes were so sad though i loved the past stories including Angel beat.I think Angel beat is funnier though. :)

Same as this one.
If you watched through both Clannad's and felt nothing.... there is something seriously wrong with you. Go to a doctor or something. This anime is like... a filter for your heart. It'll test you on how much emotion you can feel. LOL.
Jun 4, 2011 12:40 PM
Dec 2007
Shouji said:
1. Clannad +AS
1. Angel Beats

2. Air

I wouldn´t compare Angel Beats to any of the other Key Anime´s. It´s something on its own. And I loved it. Clannad and AS were the most beautiful things I´ve ever watched.
Air was quite nice, but Kanon was just boring. It took me about a month to finish those 24 episodes.
It can't be rightfully compared. Clannad, Air and Kanon are all Key games (anime was adapted by KyoAni in the case of the recent shows/remakes and Toei in the side of the original shows/movies). Angel Beats however is an anime-original even though it was written by two of the most important writers at Key. That fact alone makes the latter show a different beast. There's also the fact it was done by P.A. Works and not KyoAni like the rest which will obviously result in a different experience.
Leon-GunJun 4, 2011 12:44 PM

Jun 4, 2011 8:34 PM

Sep 2010
Leon-Gun said:
Shouji said:
1. Clannad +AS
1. Angel Beats

2. Air

It can't be rightfully compared. Clannad, Air and Kanon are all Key games (anime was adapted by KyoAni in the case of the recent shows/remakes and Toei in the side of the original shows/movies). Angel Beats however is an anime-original even though it was written by two of the most important writers at Key. That fact alone makes the latter show a different beast. There's also the fact it was done by P.A. Works and not KyoAni like the rest which will obviously result in a different experience.

I think main problems in Angels beat is because the story. the story should be made more long, yet it's only 12 eps.

but I am agree that Angel Beats is different, compare than previous Maeda's works. Air, Kanon, and Clannad have a unique specific season, but Angel Beats is not:

Air = Summer
Kanon = Winter
Clannad = Spring
Angel Beats = ??

Angel Beats should be Autumn, but it is not.

after all what happened in my life, I finally realized.
God never say a thing. And God's silence has nothing to do with life or death.
Jun 5, 2011 12:40 AM

Jul 2010
I'll have to subscribe to the majority opinion I prefer Clannad out of the shows you listed. Honestly none of the other shows really had the same effect on my emotions and more importantly they weren't really enjoyable to watch, though they all had their moments. I'll not comment on Kanon 2006 since I haven't yet finished it but for the most part in Air and Angel Beats they just didn't make me care about their characters.

That is the biggest difference. I didn't care what happened to these characters. The misfortunes and tragedies they had to endure seemed forced and manipulative. An example of this from Air would be Kano Kirishima she like many of the heroines in these shows is meant to be a tragic figure but we are never given a reason to care what happens to her other than: heres a cute genki girl and a puppy! Be sad that horrible things are happening to her!

Although I will admit I watched Clannad years ago (both S1 + S2) and if I was watching it for the first time now I probably would not enjoy it as much as I did back then. To end on a positive note I still find Kotomi from Clannad absolutely adorable.
teaNriceJun 5, 2011 12:53 AM
Jun 5, 2011 12:48 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, Clannad just did a hell of a job developing it's characters and I found that, for the most part this was the problem with Kanon and Air. I mean, sure, the scenes were technically well done but I just didn't have the attachment for those characters that I did for, say, Tomoya and Nagisa.

I haven't seen Angel Beats, and I'm honestly in no hurry. It just doesn't interest me for some reason.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 5, 2011 2:22 AM

Nov 2007
Ousto said:

Angel Beats would probably be next, I watched it while it was airing, which probably added a ton to my enjoyment. And since it wasn't based off a visual novel like the others, nobody knew what was going to happen.

Including the writers.

I was well up for loving Angel Beats but it fell apart terribly at the end, which is a shame because the show had such excellent potential.

As such Id place it at the bottom of the pile, its good for being different but bad for being horribly horribly flawed in its execution.

Clannad goes at the top, for Sunohara if nothing else, and if not that then for After Story and making agrown man cry.

Kanon next, then Air
Jun 5, 2011 3:13 AM

Nov 2010
Leon-Gun said:
Shouji said:
1. Clannad +AS
1. Angel Beats

2. Air

There is also the different genre. Clannad,Air and Kanon are all harem romance´s with a bit of tragedy. But Angel Beats isn´t a harem and the romance part is not the main topic. I think Angel Beats is more an action comedy with a slightly dramatic setting and the usual amount of romance you can find almost anywhere. And if I look at the show that way, and not expecting a second Clannad, it was one of my favourite of all time.
Jun 7, 2011 5:27 AM

Apr 2011
I feel this world would be a better place if we enjoyed anime, and not compare to its companies and etc. Clannad, Air and Kanon are in a bunch together, while Angel Beats! is in a group of its own.

1. I did enjoy Angel Beats the most :3 and it was one of my first anime. It was both funny and touching at the same time, and I had never expected such great music coming from a 13-episode show. After watching the others, I still like this one the best.

2. Clannad and AS were really nice and heart-warming. The first season explained the characters really well and I enjoyed it a lot. After Story was mainly a heartbreaking series, though it seemed a bit fairytailish at the end...o.o

3. Kanon 2006 was okay. Yuuichi is such a timer. *-*

4. Erm...I dropped Air cos I got bored of it..
Jun 7, 2011 5:34 AM
Apr 2011
At first Clannad but Angel Beats moved me a bit more, i found clannad rather boring
maybe because of Tomoya...

Jun 7, 2011 8:47 AM
Aug 2009
Clannad was the best of all ^-^

1- Clannad + Afterstory
2- Air
3- Kanon 2006
4- Angel Beats
Jun 9, 2011 1:04 AM
May 2011
1. Clannad/Clannad AS
2. Air
3. Angel beats!

i can't say for Kannon cuz i didnt watch it yet
Jun 9, 2011 12:40 PM

Jun 2011
im a fan of clannad myself havnt seen the others to be honest but im yet to see an anime that can top clannad out of the 30 or so shows ive seen

Love doesn't exist only companionship ... those you love will always walk away but your companions will always look out for you ... moral of the story - look for a companion not a love intrest
Jun 9, 2011 12:47 PM

Feb 2011
1. Angel Beats
2. Clannad and Air
3. Kanon 2006

Clannad and Air are on par for me. I like them all very much tho, but I haven't seen AS yet so that could still shake some things up.
Jun 9, 2011 5:05 PM

Feb 2011
Mine would be:

1. Clannad (I cried so much in this)
2. Angel Beats (Better than Air & Kanon!)
3. Air (It really isn't that sad O_O)
4. Kanon 2006 (dropped because it bored me out)
Jun 9, 2011 6:59 PM

Jul 2007
kfnxbabi said:

Air (It really isn't that sad O_O)

LIES!!!
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jun 9, 2011 11:47 PM

Oct 2008
Clannad is my favourite. First anime to make me cry and it gave me my second favourite female character ever (Kotomi). Also inspired me to play the game which was my first VN. ;_;
Then Kanon. Enjoyed it a lot (and cried bitch tears at Makoto's arc) but didn't like it as much as Clannad due to my dislike for Ayu.
Angel Beats! was alright, but ultimately flawed and too rushed. I wish it was given more episodes (and I am still hoping for a VN adaptation).
Air was... eh... Never really liked it and didn't find it that sad. Maybe I should rewatch it.

However, Little Busters! > everything. Where the heck is my anime, KyoAni ;__;
the Imaginary and the Real can never mingle.
Jun 10, 2011 1:39 AM

Sep 2010
1. AIR: It was the first KyoAni anime I saw and there's something about it that I just really love. It's still one of my favourites out of all the anime I've seen to date.
2. Clannad + Afterstory: Clannad is still pretty fail to me. It was really boring, but it redeemed itself in Afterstory. Afterstory was amazing...until the end came.
3. Kanon: This show took far too long to get into. The second half wasn't to bad but overall, it was relatively mediocre.

I will see Angel Beats in due time......
Spring 2014: NANANA WINS ALL.
Check out my blog :) http://castlebell.blogspot.com/
Jun 10, 2011 1:43 AM

Nov 2010
Clannad, it was hilarious at times.
Jun 10, 2011 1:46 AM

Jun 2009
Splitter said:
kfnxbabi said:

Air (It really isn't that sad O_O)

LIES!!!

This
Jun 10, 2011 1:51 AM

Nov 2010
ayeyosteven said:
Clannad, it was hilarious at times.

haha best part
Jun 10, 2011 1:50 PM
Jun 2009
My order:

1. Kanon 2006 - I like the drama and suspense in this. The art it this is the best! The ending was the best out of these four series.
2. Clannad AS - I like the how they show realistic aspects of life (e.g. working to take care of a family, depression after losing a loved one, etc.). But the ending was a bit ridiculous, with everything suddenly becoming perfect. Btw, Clannad first season was the absolute worst out of these four series. Wayy too many fillers and barely any character development/story line.
3. Air - Beautiful music and atmosphere, but the story was a bit slow... And too much of an open end.
4. Angel Beats - Beautiful music and art but the story line wasn't particularly interesting. Very funny and everything, but the drama wasn't exciting enough.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 16 minutes ago

2 by Jackson1333 »»
4 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Apr 25

37 by Jackson1333 »»
9 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - Today

38 by Jackson1333 »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

77 by InstantRamenKing »»
14 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

61 by vasipi4946 »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.