Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 14, 2011 7:39 AM
Jul 2018
I plan on watching this Anime series and all of its entirety. However. When looking at the pages. There are a couple of sequels, adaptions, side story, etc.. Can someone give me a list of the order?
Mar 14, 2011 9:42 AM

Aug 2009
Just watch it in the order MAL tells you.
First Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, then Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai and then Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei. Rei's more of a side/after-story though, it's not obligatory.
You can skip all the side stories or spin-offs, since they're pretty mediocre anyway.
Mar 14, 2011 11:11 AM
Jul 2018
Thank you. :) The side stories were confusing me is all. Have a good day.
Apr 25, 2011 8:47 AM

Dec 2007
Just in case you are (or anyone is) still a little baffled on the order of everything, I decided to repost the correct order to Higurashi. (:

If any of you guys are having trouble feel free to ask me via comment on my profile page. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
Oh, and here are some useful links:
Higurashi TIPs (useful extra info not entirely covered by the anime)
Higurashi Kai Analyses and Summaries (as well as comparisons to the original game) by Klashikari

Also keep in mind when it comes to Higurashi and its adaptations:
Visual Novel > Drama CDs > Manga >>>>> Anime

-----TL:DR Version

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni OVA: Nekogoroshi-hen
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku: Outbreak

-----Detailed Version

Note: Arcs in BOLD are important to the main story. Make sure to pay most attention to these!

First are the "Question" Arcs:
(These can be watched in any order. However it is probably BEST to follow them in this order, as this is the order the Higurashi Visual Novels were originally released (excluding Meakashi and Tsumihoroboshi). The anime automatically goes in this order.)

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
1.1. Onikakushi-hen [鬼隠し編, Abducted By Demons Chapter] (ep1-4)
1.2. Watanagashi-hen [綿流し編, Cotton Drifting Chapter] (ep5-8)
1.3. Tatarigoroshi-hen [祟殺し編, Curse Killing Chapter] (ep9-13)
1.4. Himatsubushi-hen [暇潰し編, Time Killing Chapter] (ep14-15)
*2.1. Meakashi-hen [目明し編, Eye Opening Chapter] (ep16-21)
*2.2. Tsumihoroboshi-hen [罪滅し編, Atonement Chapter] (ep22-26)

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gaiden: Nekogoroshi-hen
(Transition chapter set between the Question and Answer Arcs based on a short story written by Ryukishi07, Higurashi's creator. It is legit however not necessary to the series as a whole. Don't watch if you don't have the time.)
1.5. Nekogoroshi-hen [猫殺し編, Cat Killing Chapter] (ep1)

Next are the "Answer" Arcs:
(I highly recommend not moving on to these until after you have finished the Question Arcs. The Answer Arcs have to be watched in the following order which is also the order the anime goes in, excluding Meakashi and Tsumihoroboshi. For more information read my note at the bottom.)

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
*2.1. Meakashi-hen [目明し編, Eye Opening Chapter]
*2.2. Tsumihoroboshi-hen [罪滅し編, Atonement Chapter]
2.3. Saikai [再会, Reunion] (ep1)
2.4. Yakusamashi-hen [厄醒し編, Disaster Awakening Chapter] (ep2-5)
2.5. Minagoroshi-hen [皆殺し編, Massacre Chapter] (ep6-13)
2.6. Matsuribayashi-hen [祭囃し編, Festival Accompanying Chapter] (ep14-24)

Finally come the Epilogue and Side Arcs:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei
(Episodes 2-4 of Rei are set a month or two following Matsuribayashi (It is the epilogue to the series). Watch at your own risk. You will be spoiling yourself.)
3.1. Hajisarashi-hen [羞晒し編, Embarrassment Chapter] (ep1)
3.2. Saikoroshi-hen [賽殺し編, Dice Killing Chapter] (ep2-4)
3.3. Hirukowashi-hen [昼壊し編, Daybreak Chapter] (ep5)

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira
(This series consists of mostly lighthearted episodes giving meaning to the title "kira" as in "to shine or glitter", NOT "killer" (lol). If you are looking for violence and horror this isn't the right place. First episode is pretty much softcore fetishist fanservice. Second episode is a Mahou Shoujo parody. The third and fourth episodes are just as lighthearted.)
4.1. Batsukoishi-hen [罰恋し編, Penalty Loving Chapter] (ep1)
4.2. Ayakashisenshi-hen [妖戦し編, Demon/Spirit Battling Chapter] (ep2)
4.3. Musubienishi-hen [結縁し編, Affinity Chapter] (ep3)
4.4. Yumeutsushi-hen [夢現し編, Dream Appearing Chapter] (ep4)

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku: Outbreak
(I'm a little bit confused where to put this. In truth, I feel like you shouldn't watch this until you have watched Kai. Chronologically, it would probably fit within or after the first series, however it shows certain characters that aren't introduced until Yakusamashi and Minagoroshi so I'm just going to put it here for now...)
5.1. Outbreak [アウトブレイク]

*Note: The first anime, "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni", contains all four of the original Question Arcs from the first game, however it also includes two of the Answer Arcs from the second game "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai" (Meakashi-hen and Tsumihoroboshi-hen to be exact). It really doesn't change much; Deen probably did this because they weren't sure how successful the first series would be and included two more arcs to bring in more interest. Tsumihoroboshi is a much better series-ender than Himatsubushi. Anyway, the anime adaptation of the Answer Arcs, "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai", includes an intro episode (episode 1 "Saikai/Reunion") and an extra arc (Yakusamashi) to make up for whatever information the studio had missed due to condensing everything in the previous anime and skipping over the TIPS section of the game. In other words, the first episode of the second season and Yakusamashi didn't exist in the original games as chapters of their own.
MikiyaSep 27, 2014 10:36 AM
May 7, 2011 4:32 PM
Jul 2018
Thank you. :)
Oct 28, 2013 10:18 AM

Jan 2013
w8, can someone please like make a easy list on how to watch this, for example:

watch it like this:

1. season 1 epsiode 1
2. season 2 epsiode 14
3. season 3 epsiode 7

or something like that please
olha2Nov 1, 2013 12:38 AM
Nov 18, 2013 6:15 PM
Jun 2013
Not sure if you still want it or if this is what you mean but here you go:

1. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
2. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Special: Nekogoroshi-hen
3. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
4. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei

Notes:
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku - Outbreak has just been released and should be watched at any point after Kai.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira is a parody-ecchi and can be watched at any point after Kai.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei acts as an afterstory.
Nov 19, 2013 12:11 AM

Aug 2009
olha2 said:
w8, can someone please like make a easy list on how to watch this, for example:

watch it like this:

1. season 1 epsiode 1
2. season 2 epsiode 14
3. season 3 epsiode 7

or something like that please

Just follow the airing date.
Higurashi->Higurashi Kai->Rei
That is the right chronological order.
Sep 6, 2014 3:20 PM

Jan 2013
I watched up to episode 16 a few years ago, but I can't remember much and I want to watch it again now.

I understand the order of seasons I should watch but I have a more specified question regarding order:

Would you recomend first watching the first question-arc and then the answer-arc to that spesific question-arc and the do the next question/answer-arc pair?
Or am I better off just watching it chronologically?
Sep 6, 2014 3:23 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Syran said:
I watched up to episode 16 a few years ago, but I can't remember much and I want to watch it again now.

I understand the order of seasons I should watch but I have a more specified question regarding order:

Would you recomend first watching the first question-arc and then the answer-arc to that spesific question-arc and the do the next question/answer-arc pair?
absolutely watch it chronologically, it's the way it's intended to be watched
Sep 7, 2014 3:36 PM

Dec 2007
Syran said:

As with what HaXXspetten said; watch it chronologically.
Outright spoiling yourself with answers kinda ruins the fun of sitting through the first couple of arcs.

Also, to expand on one thing, some Question arcs don't have an exact Answer arc they specifically pair-up with. Whereas Watanagashi does go with Meakashi, chapters like Onikakushi and so on don't have an exact pair-up.
MikiyaSep 7, 2014 3:39 PM
Apr 19, 2016 10:16 AM
Mar 2016
You guys are fucking lifesavers. Could someone reply to this message just so I get an email update/ save where I found this information?
I am new to the anime community, please feel free to suggest any anime for me to watch and review. List is currently in my Bio.

Currently watching: Ghost in the Shell; Stand Alone Complex

"Some people get kicks, stomping on a dream. But I don't let it, let it get me down, 'cause this fine o'l world keeps spinning around." -That's Life, Frank Sinatra
Jun 20, 2016 9:49 AM

Mar 2015
Dancewithknives said:
You guys are fucking lifesavers. Could someone reply to this message just so I get an email update/ save where I found this information?

There you go.
Also, its worth mentioning that I found it more effective to include the first episode of second season along with the first season. By this, I mean that I found the transition b/w stories of both season much better when I finished S1 and watched the first episode right after it. Slept and next day started from S2E2. I love when you finish a season and think about it all day and sleep on it, and only start the next season on a new day. Mentioned all this so my message doesnt get deleted for being meaningless.

Enjoy your notification. You can just bookmark this page or find it in "Forum Activity" in your profile. Cheers!
Jun 22, 2016 3:07 PM
Mar 2016
loonix200 said:
Dancewithknives said:

There you go.
Also, its worth mentioning that I found it more effective to include the first episode of second season along with the first season. By this, I mean that I found the transition b/w stories of both season much better when I finished S1 and watched the first episode right after it. Slept and next day started from S2E2. I love when you finish a season and think about it all day and sleep on it, and only start the next season on a new day. Mentioned all this so my message doesnt get deleted for being meaningless.

Enjoy your notification. You can just bookmark this page or find it in "Forum Activity" in your profile. Cheers!

Ill remember that for next time, thanks. Im glad I watched Higurashi, it was entertaining, but lrobably because I found it really funny, in a good way.
I am new to the anime community, please feel free to suggest any anime for me to watch and review. List is currently in my Bio.

Currently watching: Ghost in the Shell; Stand Alone Complex

"Some people get kicks, stomping on a dream. But I don't let it, let it get me down, 'cause this fine o'l world keeps spinning around." -That's Life, Frank Sinatra

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tekky99 - Mar 14, 2008

268 by walgreenscanada »»
Apr 13, 9:49 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

171 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 27, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 17, 2008

210 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

142 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Voltlighter - Dec 28, 2007

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Feb 4, 12:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.