Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Mar 20, 2010 3:23 PM

Aug 2009
Ok, it started out so beautifully...continued so beautifully...and ended with a feeling of....such emptiness and sadness.
The art was just beautiful. The depictions amazing. But...
I don't know. I've got mixed feelings. It was such a unique experience for me. I expected a lot and got it too...but...i'm completely not satisfied with the ending.

He continues to ruin his life for her...and she forgets him? I just.....don't get the injustice and cruelty...

Again, a second anime I have no idea what to rate. It can be a straight 10 or perhaps a 7 or 8 for the way it ended. Or I just might leave the field blank.

I'm depressed.
Mar 22, 2010 12:32 PM

Sep 2008
ringoo4 said:
Destinyisours said:
I see where your getting at, but I still disagree. I think that's the only way it could have ended. What else could have happend? They meet eachother again and everything is fine? That doesn't happen in real life. It was showing how sometimes there is no conclusion lol.
...Why repetition again?... >_> I said 'I liked the ending being realistic'. It was intelligent to end with both of them being separated. The problem I had was how the ending was PRESENTED.

Oh god, please read.

don't worry dude, basically MS just want to troll us :D
he wants give a vibe of "so, its end already, seriously ?"
no wonder this movie became so pupular :p
Mar 28, 2010 10:47 AM
Mar 2010
So this is literally like my first post because I stumbled on this discussion and REALLY loved what I watched.

Yes, I absolutely loved everything about it for the reasons that everybody who also has loved it already mentioned: the art, the sound, the slow pacing all made storytelling very impactful, and while I didn't actually shed a tear, it really hit that part of me.

What DOES bug me however is the ending but maybe not in the way people would think. I understand that it's supposed to be realistic and whatnot, and that Takaki's smile signifies that he has moved on, but isn't that just what we would LIKE to think? In a sense, a paradox is created in that it's realistic that him and Akari didn't end up together, but unrealistic for us to believe that he's all fine and dandy after that. While I appreciate the ending being open-ended, like stated in one of the posts awhile ago, I felt there was no need for the open ending.

There's so many other factors to consider in life that could affect Takaki after he turns around and doesn't see Akari across from the train tracks. That could have been one moment, one moment doesn't always change a person for the long run. Like New Year's Resolutions people can feel changed for a couple weeks then fall back into their normal habits. Takaki's also quit his job, so how is he going to manage that as well?

I just wish after that smile we got to see what happened to Takaki even for just a couple brief seconds of something that he decides to do. The smile signifies a change, but it's not cemented that he will change. Some people have formed their own happy ending, believing that Takaki has now finally found the motivation to move on.

We praise the realism, but fail to acknowledge that if Takaki's life continues to mimic "reality" after episode 3, there's also the possibility that he doesn't fully move on and is stuck in the same loop. In a sense this is why I wished there was an ending with more closure, because what continues could be good or bad. Realism is great, but if the expectation from then on is that it can be as unpredictable as reality itself.
Mar 30, 2010 2:06 AM

Dec 2009
I would say it's the best movie ever if it had a favorable ending. I was surprised when Takaki didn't end up with Akari at the end.
Apr 3, 2010 9:50 AM

Feb 2009
it really a good movie....3 episodes feel like forever. The ending is sad.....
Apr 6, 2010 8:41 AM
Mar 2010
Depressing movie :(

REally good though
Apr 7, 2010 1:22 AM

Oct 2007
Can't believe i endured this shit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2010 2:50 AM

Dec 2009
i think i would have enjoyed this more if i had seen more of Akari s life.
the ending was okay, but somehow also a clichee, although they didnt end up together (trying to tell us "this is real life").

only seeing how Takaki "cant let go of this deep love but in the end he understands everything so he smiles and will move on now", i would rather see how Akari managed to overcome the pain.

visual: A+
I believe in karma what you give is what you get returned~ ♫
Apr 19, 2010 11:19 AM
Jan 2010
I know that such things just doesn't happen in real life, but still... ending was depressing. She has not forgotten him, but he was thinking only about her. I hope that he would move on, his life was a disaster.
I have mixed feelings, don't know what score should I give...
Apr 20, 2010 10:46 AM
Aug 2009
Beautiful, full of sorrow story... and I've never seen such beautiful sky.

Ending was really good, it wasn't clear, every single person can think about this in other way.
Apr 25, 2010 12:51 PM

Mar 2010
Just finished this and I have to say...OVERWHELMING SADNESS.

Can't believe Akari has moved on and getting married meanwhile Takaki is in a slump.
Apr 28, 2010 11:49 PM

Feb 2010
Just watched this with my girlfriend tonight who is not into anime, but I figured she might like it since I had heard so many great things.

I feel like you could watch this with the love of your life and still feel like there's someone else out there that you're missing out on being with.

Regardless, I loved it.
Apr 30, 2010 2:12 AM

Nov 2008
There are a bunch of male characters that irritate me whenever I think about them. Tohno has just became one of them. If he visited Akari in childhood inspite such a long distance, if he even made it to Tokyo to meet her again - why couldn't he go on exchanging text messages with her through the school years? What a cretin one must be to suppose that anyone will wait for him, if he doesn't tell to wait. What did he do to Mizuno? Wasn't he coming for Akari? Arrr, I absolutely hate this type of men.

Credits for the av go to whispering-eden.livejournal.com =)
I used to be Dolce_Vitka here, but Vitka_Lynx is my nickname at alost all other sites, so I decided to take it here, too ^___^
May 1, 2010 8:07 PM

Jun 2008
Why the hell can't Shinkai just get some good voice actors for once? Every fucking voice in his stuff just trampled on otherwise brilliantly well-done films. That and he's got this strange habit of pretending that the characters have been developed at the very beginning. I'm fine with slow, but at least make us believe the characters before you start that shit. Still, I'd be able to deal with that if the voice acting wasn't so horrible. I'll bet you're wondering why I think this, right? They're dull. They never seem to have any energy. It's like the kind of acting I did when I was 14. Not enjoyable, not believable, not immersive, not even fucking expressive in any way. The Place Promised in Our Early Days was the worst, by far (for example, the scene where the plane is about to get fucked up, and main character is like "oh no...don't" with all the enthusiasm of a hospital patient being told to climb a tree for a cake), but this doesn't come close behind. Oh, and yes, I AM talking about the Japanese dub.

Seriously. So well done, but the bad acting ruins the slow pace, and is preventing me from watching the rest of it.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I kind of just needed to rant :\
May 13, 2010 3:27 PM

Mar 2008
k0k0 said:
Ok, it started out so beautifully...continued so beautifully...and ended with a feeling of....such emptiness and sadness.
The art was just beautiful. The depictions amazing. But...
I don't know. I've got mixed feelings. It was such a unique experience for me. I expected a lot and got it too...but...i'm completely not satisfied with the ending.

He continues to ruin his life for her...and she forgets him? I just.....don't get the injustice and cruelty...

Again, a second anime I have no idea what to rate. It can be a straight 10 or perhaps a 7 or 8 for the way it ended. Or I just might leave the field blank.

I'm depressed.

Cant agree more. You read my mind.

May 14, 2010 7:48 AM

Mar 2010
Noooo!! They were supposed to come back together :(

*breaks down in tears

All in all it was a great anime, although the ending was too sad
May 20, 2010 6:35 AM

Feb 2010
*edit*

actually.. after reading more posts on this subject.. Im going to delete what I had written.. opinions vary the way they are received on the internet.

But Im going to rate this a 1 on my list.

if someone loved this movie and wants to take a moment of their time to tell me what they saw that i didnt... I would greatly appreciate it and please send me a message doing so..
anime_n00bMay 20, 2010 6:43 AM
May 31, 2010 8:21 AM
Feb 2007
Kotori said:
I loved and hated this. Sad endings that split lovers appart really make me feel down.

Indeed. >:
Jun 11, 2010 3:53 PM
May 2010
Benzene said:
The only real criticism I have about this is that I wish they covered Akari's high school life more in depth in the second partl instead of focusing on Takaki for the majority of the part.

I thought the ending was appropriate. It reminded me of a quote from Dr.Seuss "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." The ending exemplifies this quote pretty well. I felt that Takaki was always living in the past hoping to one day, get together with Akari again; but in the last scene, they both recognize each other and in a way meet one more time. Akari doesn't stay unlike Takaki which shows that she has moved on. Takaki realizes this and smiles to himself, knowing that he can move on as well, face the present instead of living in the past and hope for a bright future. Essentially that last smile Takaki gives us at the ending scene shows that he is not "crying" anymore now because it's over and instead is "smiling" because of all the good times the two had back then. However, even though they have moved on I feel that they are both grateful for those times in the past years and would never forget them. I might be over analyzing it or it probably doesn't even make sense to some people here but that's my take on why the ending was appropriate for an anime of this nature.

Cannot agree more.
Jun 13, 2010 10:18 AM

Jan 2010
really nice story development in 1st chapter

then in 2nd chapter i started to get worried

and the ending?OMG!

i wish i dont watch the ending,it was too sad
Akari got married(or engaged?) and happy with her partner
while Sakaki lives iin depression
i really wish they will be together DX

however,this is truly a brilliant anime
the art is so wonderful~
Jun 13, 2010 10:29 PM

Jan 2010
I wish we got to see Akari's school life without Takaki.

Ugh, I found so hard to watch.
I wanted to stop watching because it was so heart wrenching but I didn't.
I wanted to rate this low because the ending is so bitter but I know deep down it was a good short series..

T_T

Why couldn't it have a happy shitty cliche ending?

ARGH..
Jun 14, 2010 12:12 AM
Dec 2009
This is a beautiful anime:!!!! Buuut I didn't get why it had this kind of ending??

Poor....

Arghh
Jun 16, 2010 1:56 AM
Jan 2009
There's no doubt that this is beautiful, but the ending episode is disappointing. It was nice to see that the obvious outcome didn't happen, but the last segment seemed rushed. It just shows that Akari is engaged and they see each other in passing and miss each other. It's such sweet melancholy but they don't expound on it enough leaving much to be desired.
Jun 25, 2010 11:13 PM
Jun 2010
One of my favorites.

It shows that life doesn't always go the way you like it to be..
Jun 27, 2010 9:58 PM

Apr 2010
Ending just left me hanging, but i still like it. 7/10
Jun 28, 2010 3:19 AM

Feb 2009
This was one of the most powerful romance/dramas I have ever seen, mostly because while watching this magnificent and artistically done story I couldn't stop thinking about how depressing life can really be and how much shit it can throw at you. My only gripe with it, is the fact that for such a realistic story it was way over the top, the immensely huge distances and exaggerated emotions.
Jun 30, 2010 12:14 PM
Sep 2009
the first two were great but i want to know if they ever meet again or if they just drift further apart still thinking now and then what life would've been like if they took that chance to be toget....
Why am i putting this much thought into it.
Love the music and the art and the plot XD
Jun 30, 2010 7:16 PM

Feb 2010
Am I missing something?
The 3rd part had like half the ep with flashbacks and a song
is that how it should be? 0.o

EP1 ~ a lot of waiting on the train
EP2 ~ a new girl likes the guy but the guy still likes the other girl, sucks for the new girl
EP3 ~ I expected it a bit longer, but ended having half the EP a song

I understand that this series tries to explain how love can be depressing (ect) using huge words and such but I didn't find it emotional enough to be sad. To me it's more like "sucks for them". I think it lacks explanation about their childhood relationship. I know how they've been there for each other as kids/teens but is that enough to be in love with each other that long?

Even though a lot of ppl likes this anime and give it a good rating
I give it a 5/10 my opinion it wasn't worth the time
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2010 12:43 AM

Aug 2009
First two eps were stellar. Truly fantastic, I was on the edge of my seat in the second episode, hoping that the surfer girl would confess!! Episode 2 was awesome. I was confused in ep 3. The way it ended was a bummer. Great animation (the backgrounds especially), truly wonderful.

Jul 5, 2010 3:19 PM

Jan 2010
lol @ people not being able to appreciate art.

This was more than amazing, it was aaaaamazing. The story had me engaged with the characters it followed in the first two episodes and then the third brought me to tears. I'm sure everyone wanted a more happy ending but I found that the ending was fine the way it was. The best movies are the ones you don't expect.

Oh and this was amazinggggg.

10/10.
Jul 6, 2010 11:20 PM

May 2010
From reading a summary of the novelized version of 5 Cm(its in Japanese only sadly,but has be partly translated and completely summarized here http://5cm.lhyeung.net/00-skywindow.phpl ) you can find out that the script for the film's 3rd part was cut drastically and only contained 1/3 of the content that was in the novelized format. I won't give away much details of the summary but it makes a lot more sense than the 3rd part of the film.
Also I read somewhere that Shinkai purposely left the ending that way it was( and planned it from the start) so viewers could interpret what happens after the film. You could make the case that Tataki and Akari reunite in the distant future(just as friends) or they don't at all. The scenes presented in the film lets viewers decides what happens afterwards, as the meanings could go either way, so basically, whatever you think happens afterwards happens :).
ZakuHeadJul 6, 2010 11:27 PM
Jul 11, 2010 12:40 AM

Jun 2010
Plotwise, it's pretty good, though the third part was rater short and lacking compared to the first two, especially when you're an hour under a feature length movie. While the ending is something many people here don't like, I like if from that fact that it's still able to make you an emotional train wreck (mileage may vary) even with a sub par execution.

Artwise, it's beautiful, to put it simply. Lots of wallpaper worthy stuff in high quality (screenshot from the second part is my current wallpaper), and animation is very fluid. Even if you don't like the movie for its plot, you can't hate the artwork.

That aside, it kinda makes you appreciate how far we've come with technology, and how these situations would not hold up (especially in Japan) if it were to happen today, with the "distance" becoming much closer than it was 16 years ago (when the movie took place).

[Possible Spoilers]
Also, investing on a coat with inside pockets and putting important stuff there may be a good idea.
[/Possible Spoilers]
BURSSS BURSSS BURSSS SWAG

-GMCFosho
Jul 13, 2010 7:46 PM

Jun 2008
OmegaJudgement said:
The way i see the ending

The women in the office was Kanae who finally confessed her love for Takaki. He turned her down since he was still expecting to go with Akari little does he know Akari has gotten engaged and when they meet for the next time she is going to tell him that.

So now he doesn't have Akari or Kanae and is going to die a lonely death from lung cancer (smoking kills!)

agreed >.<
Jul 16, 2010 2:04 PM
Feb 2010
"But, even if we were to exchange a thousand emails...our hearts would probably not move even one centimeter closer together."

GG No Re

Art was beautiful.
Aug 6, 2010 7:54 AM

Dec 2008
OK...they didn't have to end up together. But, did Takaki's adult life have to be so shitty!! I'm more upset over that than the fact that he didn't end up with Akari or Kanae. LOL!!

Was the girl with the ponytails and glasses the one he was dating for 3 years?
Aug 6, 2010 4:14 PM

Mar 2010
What a piece of crap. No I'm not one of those people that must have them end up together but seriously what was that?? So there were childhood friends that fell in love but then they moved away and got older and the main character becomes a loser, the end. Seriously that was the whole story come on. Anyone could come up with that, but they wouldn't cuz it's a crappy idea. Sorry, it is just my opinion and I respect anyone who loves this movie, but I just don't like it very much.
Animestuffs-1.png
Aug 13, 2010 2:14 PM
Jan 2010
Now, that wasn't a nice way to end things.
Aug 13, 2010 10:38 PM

May 2010
The whole point of the movie was to show how time can tear two people and how one must move on from the past in order to enjoy their lives. Sure it doesn't end the way we want it to, but because of that, it is a good piece of mature story telling. If you guys are confused or pissed off at the brief ending go to this site: http://5cm.lhyeung.net/index.php it has summaries/full translations of the novelized version of the movie. The last part was actually cut really short in the film, but retained in the novel.

Lastly, I read in an interview that Shinkai left the ending somewhat open so us viewers can interpret what happens next. He didn't want a set conclusion in fears that viewers might become disappointed with it.
Aug 14, 2010 2:13 PM
Nov 2009
Peralisc said:
Can't believe i endured this shit.

^this. But I must admit this was really ok, I didn't cried or anything lol but it was still quite a depressing story T_T. Overall I give it an 8 out of 10. Though I would have probably rated it higher if it had a shitty cliched happy ending rather than a sad, tragic and more realistic one. =) Stil,l I can't believe I watched this, I'm not into this kind of anime I just heard the ending song on youtube and just felt like watching this lol.
Aug 16, 2010 4:54 AM

Nov 2009
Man, watching this has left me somewhat depressed; I don't easily get saddened from watching an anime, but the fact that the two couldn't stay together makes me feel like something is ripping my heart from the inside. I really liked the two as a couple but the time slowly pulled them away. It was a pity they couldn't stay together. Even a few months after watching it, the ending still hurts me in away; though it doesn't make me cry or anything, just the thought is so sad.

If your wondering why I've bumped into this thread so late after watching, it is because I was searching around for an anime to watch and I went past a Makoto Shinkai anime and remembered this one
Aug 16, 2010 11:31 AM

Sep 2009
@forgottensorrows :
I felt the very same. It crushed my heart in a way that no other anime did. For some time, I was into a very depressing phase in my life and would only watch anime that makes my heart break in two. With some deep thoughts on myself, I came to realise why it made such an impact on me. Now I'm alright but even now, when I listen to the song or watch the movie, I can still feel my heart react to it, but not in the same way I guess.

It will ever be my favourite anime (well, one of my two faves, can't pick between them)
Aug 19, 2010 12:05 AM

May 2010
Just finshed it, I did't exspect any of what happend. :)
The art work was beautiful.
but i was sooo sad thay did't end up together. :(
~Nice movie!!
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Aug 22, 2010 5:21 AM

Aug 2010
It was a really nice movie which really got you thinking. The art was beautiful.

Akari and Takaki both had letters they wanted to give to each other but nature decided to do it's thing. They thought he/she was the on to spend the rest of their lives with but no. Years later, Akari found the letter she had written to him but never got to giving it to him started to have flashbacks. She knew right away she had moved on. With Takaki on the other hand, he wanted to cling to that friendship and advance to the next level. Even adulthood didn't change that the least.Takaki had other girls to choose from but he decided to ignore them In chapter 3 we saw him smile after seeing her only for a brief moment but knew right away he had to move on.

draker said:

Emm first chapter = physical distance, second = internal distance, third = time as a distance. So how does third part ruin something? It's enough just to show their adult lifes.
Well said.
Aug 27, 2010 7:15 PM

May 2010
What??? Why does it say "The End" when there was no story?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 28, 2010 1:51 PM
Jan 2008
I just finish watching it. And now I am very depressed, maybe because I am at the age that one has to realized that same dreams of you as a child will never come true no matters how hard you try. But just like the movie, i think we have to learn how to let it go and not giving up. I know i wouldn't.
Aug 30, 2010 5:55 PM

Mar 2010
extremley sad when you think about it for a really long time

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 11, 2010 7:30 AM

Jun 2010
NOO! Don't want to watch I now Know that it hasn't got an happy end! Man I hate it when that happens even if the Anime is beautiful... I want a happy end :"(

But the this I watched where brilliant but just can't watch any further...

Sep 13, 2010 5:06 PM

May 2010
The movie was good but so depressing at the same time that it always makes me think after I watched it. I wanted a happy ending like everyone else did, but instead we got a somewhat bittersweet one, very representative of real life(which makes it so good and so sad). The following is taken from a fan site that has the interview as to why Shinkai made the film end that way

original post here: http://5cm.lhyeung.net/bfilondon.php

So while the ending is a bit on the sad side, it was done that way so we viewers could openly decide for themselves what happens to the 2 after the film and whether or not they will see each other again.
ZakuHeadSep 13, 2010 5:13 PM
Sep 16, 2010 12:18 PM

May 2010
damn this thing so bitter sweet it makes you think the cruelty of reality T_T
Sep 20, 2010 5:30 PM
Mar 2008
Wow, I just read the novel summary on that fansite, and it is definitely required reading if you want to better understand the third part.

http://5cm.lhyeung.net/03-5cmpersecond-comparison.php
Pages (16) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Apr 30, 2007

104 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 10:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.