Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2011 7:23 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
And it looks like the Pokemon franchise comes out with their 13th movie!

The art was gorgeous, the animation was fluid, the sound was engaging, the plot? Ehh... Same old, same old. I think I even fell asleep during some of it. It worries me, really. Though, I loved the fresh variety of 5th gen Pokemon! Optimism FTW~
Apr 7, 2011 1:29 AM

Apr 2010
Alipio said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
And it looks like the Pokemon franchise comes out with their 13th movie!

The art was gorgeous, the animation was fluid, the sound was engaging, the plot? Ehh... Same old, same old. I think I even fell asleep during some of it. It worries me, really. Though, I loved the fresh variety of 5th gen Pokemon! Optimism FTW~

Look, I know your review is fine, but the question is ; if Zorua & Zoroark appear in the movie, then when will they appear in Pokemon Best Wishes!?
Apr 21, 2011 5:49 AM

Feb 2010
The movie was just showen on free TV in Germany. I liked the animation a lot! I think the last Pokemon movie I saw was the one with Latios or however it's called. The story wasn't that interesting but it was a good watch imo.
May 20, 2011 8:50 PM

Sep 2009
The plot was a whole ton better then the past "Trilogy" of movies.
Not as good as the original movies, but the most entertaining Pokemon movie in awhile.
Jun 13, 2011 11:24 PM

Sep 2008
well ¬¬ , i actualy liked the past 3 a lot more than this one, but hell who cares, just another add for the pokemon collection.
just ....the villian... if he could watch the future, he could have prepared better, it loooked kinda lame to me
mmm this is the last time we´re going to see dawn and brook, its a shame u_u
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Dec 20, 2011 6:53 AM

Aug 2010
The film was okay. I mean, the animation was certainly nice. But with Pokemon, you always know what to expect now. Theres no surprise anymore.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Feb 6, 2012 5:04 AM

Dec 2011
Pretty decent movie but not really nice plot. Great animations and effects. I'm 14 and I like Pokemon still :D so I think it doesn't matter about age cause some people say Pokemon is for children only... Rainout, suicine and entei have some weird colours. Nice airship... I pity the zorua and zoroak cause those evil crazy maniac kidnapped them. Fcuk that b*txh... Maybe Barry should be in this movie cause it's diamond and pearl? Why were some normally strong Pokemon in this movie weak and the weaker looking Pokemon (bell sprout and forest family etc.) are so powerful??? Celebi was especially weak in this movie.(or she/he was always this weak?) Yupp Yupp looking forward to the next Pokemon movie!
uhh...
Jan 29, 2014 12:58 AM

Jul 2008
Zoroark was a complete badass, don't mess with a mother's cub. She can take on even the legendaries if you push her like that.

Not an original plot, but I liked it still because of those two.

And also, shiny Suicune, Entei, and Raikou.
Feb 16, 2018 11:32 AM

Apr 2017
Good animation but the plot... Nothing new. It was still a pretty good movie tho.

The CGI and the animation were very good, even if sometimes the proportions of the legendary dogs were a little fucked up.

But props to the french voice actor of Kodai whose voice is made from what dreams are made of. And I don't say that just because deep voices are my thing, it's also because he is damn talented.

buy mochi at the mochi store
and friends at the friend store

May 12, 2018 2:24 AM

Jan 2016
Just finished watching it. The first time I watched it was the initial CN airing where they butchered it by making a lot of cuts, which made me really dislike it. The lack of giant inter-dimensional dinosaurs shooting lasers also made me not like this movie as much as the rest of the DP ones as a kid.

However, upon a much-deserved rewatch, my opinion has completely changed. This is perhaps my favorite DP movie now. It's a bit lacking in action though. Even just a battle with Goon would've gone a long way to break up the wild goose chase that dragged on. It doesn't stand up to the first and second movies, but I'd definitely say it was one of the stronger ones.

The movie was super beautiful though! I was also extremely impressed with the background characters. Every single one had a unique and interesting design, which I really appreciate the effort of. The supporting characters also were a nice little cast.

Kodai was also a better, more interesting villain than any of the other DP movie villains.

I also appreciate how this movie just felt so much more laid back than the laser spam ones prior to it. It was pretty refreshing. The plot wasn't even that dire. The worst that honestly was gonna happen was the city was gonna have to replant everything, which was a change of pace compared to the more destructive calamities in the movies.
May 17, 2020 5:31 PM

Jan 2013
while the movie was better than i expected, not a fan of the typical corrupt politcian wrecking everything for his personal gain story.

and what is up with the movie division and their love of trying to kill Celebi tho lol

i do like that they made the 3 beasts in their shiny forms to differentiate them. i also like the classic pokemon trope of “we’ll see you again someday” but they never actuall will

one thing i find weird tho is that purple hair girl’s role. they design her so elaborately and made her stand out from everybody and did absolutely nothing with her. would think she played some part but nope
Feb 23, 2021 3:21 AM

May 2008
I was really liking this movie until the last half where it falls apart. The last half is, I think, a highlight of what is wrong with (most of) movies after this one (and maybe before this one, I can't remember anything past movie 5 lol).

They want to move Satoshi from The Chosen One status but instead of doing it smart, the writers seem to just... not have Satoshi do anything. He has plenty of pokemon but doesn't use any but Pikachu to protect his back or stall Kodai. They have Satoshi frozen by Psychic for most of the "final" battle (why can't Pikachu resist? Because you'd think if Psychic was always that OP everyone would use it). Satoshi and Pikachu don't really try struggling, Pikachu feels slow in this movie until the last moment. I don't care for the direction, it slows the final half down and makes it annoying to watch.

There's the reliance of Pokemon movie tropes too:
-potions don't exist in the movies so everyone stands around getting teary-eyed when a pokemon passes out. There's never an attempt to say: "Let me capture it so I can take it to the Pokemon Center and get it healed."
-The Legendary Beasts came along but their presence is mostly pointless and they don't do anything worthwhile other than make an excuse for Zoroark to be tired when she gets to Kodai. And they're shiny... because.
-The lack of consistency. I don't know why the movies can just connect to each other but at least choose whether it's connected to canon or not. Satoshi somehow knows about Serebii yet doesn't remember Entei?? Was that another movie he forgot and I'm forgetting that part?
-Satoshi lying about "we'll definitely come by!", lmao no you won't why even add that.
-Characters forgetting key details just so the plot can happen: the secretary knew Kodai could see the future yet not once think he may have saw her betraying her? Or that Zoroark is on the airship, how about freeing her to stop Kodai? The secretary's role felt contrived because the literal only purpose she served outside helping the villain was freeing Satoshi-tachi.
-The lack of reasoning why the goons help out the villain. They're just there to be evil but we never get a real reason. Money? Pension?

They didn't use Nyarth well either; why not have him translate the roars? Surely he understood that it's a call for battle and thus could say "uh, let's not".

Having Zorua talk but not having Zoroark say a word... why not at least have her give her thanks via telepathy? It's made obvious immediately she can do it since she told Zorua not to. And what are the rules for telepathy anyway? Is it everyone in an area? Or certain people? Again, the movie uses both when it's convenient.

Beyond that, I do like how the movie has the local wild pokemon be involved in protecting their city. It's same thing I liked in the Genesect movie; this shows pokemon are capable independent thought and able to choose sides without being captured.

I sorta liked the return of Serebii but it does kinda suck it's a new one rather than the old one. A lot of times these "cameo"s don't hit nearly as hard because the "returnee" is someone else and thus has no nostalgia to them beyond being the same species. It feels like a wasted opportunity.

The best action scene was with Takeshi's pokemon fighting the Scizor like it was a swordfight that it was done really well. I wish we could see more battles with such dynamicism rather than the rest of the slow fights. I know the games are turn-based but that simply doesn't translate to the animation and it breaks the fights each time I see pokemon just waiting to be hit. I DO like that many times the captured pokemon didn't need commands to fight, I want more of that.

Kodai was an okay villain. Seeing Zoroark get her revenge not once but twice was great. Especially when he staggered off like a coward. The side characters are good too, made the city feel lively. Zoroark rocked, and Zorua was cute and you got the sense he did try his best despite being pampered by his mom.

And I did like how it ended with Rocket Gang floating off and enjoying themselves (until the gag at the end...) and Zoroark indulging Zorua by being his Pikachu. It did get me for a second, haha. I certainly wouldn't have minded for them to come back, but alas...

Apr 8, 2023 5:40 AM

Sep 2021
the animation in this was chef's kiss for some reason

rest was just fine
May 16, 2023 2:01 AM
Apr 2022
Show Rate Meter Guide  - (5 Great _ 4 Good _ 3 Fine _ 2 Not Good _ 1 Bad).(dismal are sometimes needed)
[Story] - 2.5  
[Art/Animation] - 4
[Sound/Music] - 2.5
[M-Character] - 3 
[S-Character] - 3
[Enjoyment] - 2.5
[Overall] - 3
I don't know, I just cant seem to like this movie at all this is my 3rd time watching it. The only good thing that this movie has was the animation, The town design and life style the people and Pokémon have is, nice and pleasing. The story was kind of boring in a way, Zoroark is not that interesting of a Pokémon to make a movie out of. The sport game, is the first thing we get see about the town they going too and it was kind of whack. Also was happy to see Celebi again, but it's not the same as movie 4 Celebi. The three legendary dogs from Gen 2, did hardly nothing to help they just showed up! and were having a hard time fighting Zoroark, 3 on 1 really... This is Dawn and Brooks Last Movie and it kind of sucks.   
CcCharlesMay 16, 2023 5:59 AM
Nov 25, 2023 8:11 AM

Jan 2013
I loved the cute dance that girl (Peg) did at the start of the movie, it looked so good!
Surprised she didn't have a bigger role.

Breath of fresh air not having this bigger than life / universe ending plot.
Zorua and Zoroark were cool Pokemon and overall it was just a solid fun movie.

8/10

More topics from this board

» _______________

mvetS - Apr 22, 2012

2 by Raitora »»
Jul 29, 2013 12:28 AM

» Is this movie even out yet?

nygren - Jul 26, 2010

19 by mangafreakZX »»
Apr 7, 2011 1:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.