Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2011 6:23 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"The Immortal Challenger" first aired Oct. 2, 1973

You can find this (and episode 2) at Skaro Hunting Society. It looks like it a new project for them. :D
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Feb 5, 2011 3:13 AM

Feb 2008
Loved it! So awesome to see where Mega Man got a lot of its influences, heh.
Oct 15, 2011 6:09 PM

Jun 2008
I'm loving the series so far (8 episodes). Lot of great roots that found their way into many of the mecha/robot series that followed.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jul 27, 2017 1:12 PM
Sep 2016
The plot is simple but outlined clearly; Braiking Boss is made an immediate threat and gets us to hate it by killing a dog, which is excellent (from a story point of view, don't kill dogs), Tetsuya is willing to die to save his world and family from the menace his father created, and in less than 25 minutes the world is built, we respect our hero, loathe our villain and recognise the stakes they are fighting for. A tight first episode.

An aside; there's loads of "Hail Braiking" in this, and the Andro Force logo is a suspiciously Nazi-looking triskele. Casshan's red and white branding with a roundel on his head (and Friender's!) seems to conflate Japan with the WW2 Allies. Perhaps there was an intent, given that the Japanese economy was already booming in 1973 based largely on exports to the EEC and USA, to nod towards Japan's new friends?

Regardless, this leaves its contemporary "Science Ninja Team Gatchaman" in the dust. Give me more! (Currently available to stream in the UK on HiDive)
May 10, 2019 7:45 AM

Jul 2008
I'm not sure why this is rated so low, even lower than Gatchaman which pretty much created the power rangers. At this point in time in the early 70s I only see Tomorrow's Joe and Lupin III as better than Casshan.
Dec 17, 2023 8:50 PM

Oct 2010
very good episode with solid visuals, now I see why was it recommended if you like kurenai sanshiro, overall great anime and I'm having a blast

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shinzou Ningen Casshern Episode 21 Discussion

-Arcee- - Dec 19, 2022

2 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Mar 4, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Shinzou Ningen Casshern Episode 13 Discussion

Shrimp_Tail - Mar 1

0 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Mar 1, 12:53 AM

Poll: » Shinzou Ningen Casshern Episode 35 Discussion

Shocked - Jun 29, 2015

1 by SlammyHammy »»
Apr 4, 2023 10:27 PM

Poll: » Shinzou Ningen Casshern Episode 33 Discussion

Shocked - Jun 29, 2015

1 by SlammyHammy »»
Apr 4, 2023 9:55 PM

Poll: » Shinzou Ningen Casshern Episode 20 Discussion

-Arcee- - Dec 19, 2022

1 by SlammyHammy »»
Mar 31, 2023 9:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.