Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 6, 2010 7:22 PM

Nov 2007
A fine wrap-up of the arc. Touma continues to be a good lead by not hesitating to uppercut an enemy regardless of who they are, which is something I've always liked about his character.

Next week is... oh =/. Regardless, this is the Index side of things so even with that bunch getting spotlight it's unlikely to be trash.

But wait, I see Last Order, does that mean he will be there as well =D?
KantarouNov 7, 2010 1:47 AM
Nov 6, 2010 9:25 PM
Nov 2008
Kuroko could technically easily defeat Touma. Imagine Breaker would be fairly ineffective.
Nov 6, 2010 10:37 PM

Feb 2010
Leon-Gun said:
Still, ruined her character? Talk about blowing the scene out of proportion.

I wouldn't say it ruined her character, but it did seem unnatural of her to do that. Oh well, there's more to come, and I look forward to seeing how things develop.

Even though there's a lot of dialogue to explain the behind-the-scenes plotting, I am enjoying this season. As each episode ends, I always find myself thinking, "Wait, it's over already?" Really flies by ^^
Nov 6, 2010 11:05 PM

Oct 2010
Oh wow I just read the part of this episode and the information can be resumed in one word amazing! Some key quotes that I found nice: For Laura "No one is better than her in manipulating human feelings, rationality, interests, ethics, and "necessary values".

For Agnese that's critical "The scene in her memory is of a dark alley in Milan. All the sunlight has been robbed by tourist streets outside.
Over here, there are only people lying on the red brick ground, rodents, worms, and slugs.
Over here, there is no hope.

Going deeper into the memory, this fragment pierces through her heart.
It’s the back door of a restaurant. She’s digging into the rubbish bin for scraps of meat. She’s afraid of dropping it onto the bodies of the slugs, the fur of the rodents, and the shed wings of the cockroaches, as she puts in into her mouth, continuing to chew, and chew, and chew.
She did the same action every day.
That is amazing info. This may take 1 hour of your time all of it is worth it and there is also a though they never included of what Touma wanted Kanzaki to do for him as part of his wish.
Reading is here: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=To_Aru_Majutsu_no_Index:Volume7#Part_4_4

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Nov 6, 2010 11:21 PM
Mar 2010
As much as I love Rie, I loved seeing her character getting Falcon Punched- TWICE
Yay, finally the 8th volume :3 Mikoto x Kuroko :D:D:D:D:D
Nov 7, 2010 12:02 AM

Jan 2010
Girl bashing gets my approval.
Nov 7, 2010 12:47 AM

Nov 2009
shuncchi said:
yeah kannzaki was cute. but touma punching a girl wasnt soo entertaining^^;

That girl totally deserved to get punched. I'm a girl myself and I was like YESSS when he pwned her cuz she had it coming :'D
Nov 7, 2010 12:54 AM

Sep 2008
Yumekichi11 said:
Vanisher said:
Also , what happened to sister angelene and sister lucia? i thought they were important , and lucia didnt seems like the kind of people that would retreat cuz agnese got defeated
That's also a good observation to wonder about. What happened to them really.

Actaully now I'm wondering too. It's not as if touma beat them they just rejoined the troops and they were pretty fiercely loyal to agnese by the looks of it. Not to mention both of them seemed more versed in combat magic than any of their peers. It wouldn't have made a difference if they'd done it alone, but that wheel should have been hanging around somewhere. Maybe it's just not effective when she's near a bunch of her allies (the wheel can explode, but not much more. In battle it would have been hard to hit only her six targets or how ever many there were and avoid causing greater harm to her three hundred allies). Still doesn't explain why both of them were completely absent through all the proceedings...

Kantarou said:
A fine wrap-up of the arc. Touma continues to be a good lead by not hesitating to uppercut an enemy regardless of who they are, wjch is something I've always liked about his character.

Next week is... oh =/. Regardless, this is the Index side of things so even with that bunch getting spotlight it's unlikely to be trash.

But wait, I see Last Order, does that mean he will be there as well =D?
That is something I love about him. I absolutely hate it when the hero just hangs around and gets beat up, or worse, allows others to be harmed, because "I don't hit women". It isn't quite as large a problem in anime but it still drives me insane when it happens. I'm just looking like "She's stronger than you! She's evil and wants to destroy everyone you love! Why won't you fight?!" It's not noble, it's not endearing, it is in fact amoral and alienating.

Edit: Yumekichi11 was wondering if anyone had any ln experience with crowley. This is from a later volume in the season but doesn't reveal any plot points. I thought it was a pretty cool description.

It's not technically anything you didn't know but I felt like it shed a bit of light on what kind of person we were dealing with.
GanglerNov 7, 2010 1:43 AM
Nov 7, 2010 1:52 AM

Nov 2009
Gangler said:
.People are upset by kanzaki's behavior but she was put off balance in this episode and it should come as a no brainer at this point that every female in index is tsundere (minus kuroko) . Index, misaka, himegami, aura girl, now we've added kanzaki. Guess what. There will be more in the immediate future. If you don't like the tsun then you're probably going to have to develop some manner of coping mechanism.

I personally think Himegami is more of a kuudere, and i don't remember the aura girl showing signs of being a tsundere. Misaka and Index I agree with tho. Kanzaki seems like more of a kuudere to me, since she seems cold and aloof most of the time but as we saw in this ep apparently she has a dere dere moe side to her as well.
SapphireStar26Nov 7, 2010 1:57 AM
Nov 7, 2010 1:10 AM
Nov 2008
SapphireStar26 said:

I personally think Himegami is more of a kuudere, and i don't remember the aura girl showing signs of being a tsundere. Misaka and Index I agree with tho. Kanzaki seems like more of a kuudere to me, since she seems cold and aloof most of the time but as we saw in this ep apparently she has a dere dere moe side to her as well.

If Kanzaki was a true kuudere, she would have acted quite differently in season 1. She was very upfront and personal with Touma when they first met, showing that she indeed cared a lot for Index. She also feels resentment, anger, shame and regret. Kuuderes don't openly show such emotion.

I was of the impression, from reading the novels and watching the anime, that she was more along the lines of the 'Lady of War' or the 'Hot Chick With a Sword' (Which Kanzaki is even listed as being).
no-thanksNov 7, 2010 1:16 AM
Nov 7, 2010 1:15 AM
Jan 2010
>Kanzaki wants to fuck

But seriously, that was really out of character for her.
Nov 7, 2010 1:31 AM

Nov 2009
Onibokusu said:
If Kanzaki was a true kuudere, she would have acted quite differently in season 1. She was very upfront and personal with Touma when they first met, showing that she indeed cared a lot for Index. She also feels resentment, anger, shame and regret. Kuuderes don't openly show such emotion.

I was of the impression, from reading the novels and watching the anime, that she was more along the lines of the 'Lady of War' or the 'Hot Chick With a Sword' (Which Kanzaki is even listed as being).

Ahh good point, it's been a long time since I've seen season 1 lol ;p I agree she definitely is more of a Hot Chick With A Sword than a kuudere, and she certainly is not a tsundere XD
SapphireStar26Nov 7, 2010 1:54 AM
Nov 7, 2010 1:33 AM

Sep 2008
SapphireStar26 said:
Gangler said:
.People are upset by kanzaki's behavior but she was put off balance in this episode and it should come as a no brainer at this point that every female in index is tsundere (minus kuroko) . Index, misaka, himegami, aura girl, now we've added kanzaki. Guess what. There will be more in the immediate future. If you don't like the tsun then you're probably going to have to develop some manner of coping mechanism.

Good point. With Kanzaki it's also worth noting that due to her natural powers as a saint she's always had to be the strongest and to have all the behavior that goes with that. It was briefly mentioned how much of a burden it was that she couldn't keep her followers alive. I think that as she realizes that she doesn't have to be strong around touma that will be significant. I could see her wanting touma to see her cute side but being frustrated by the fact that she doesn't actually know how to act that way, and touma is infamously oblivious to such charms. Admittedly though with what we've seen so far he might just not be a lolicon, which would be a shame considering the sheer volume of loli's competing for his affections. In that sense kanzaki certainly does have the one up, what with the boobs and all.

Now the jokes were sexual but she seemed more like she was offering herself as a warrior not as a woman. I think it would be fun to see what she thought he'd ask her to do. *hands her a photo* "This man is an powerful enemy that hinders my goals. I need him dead by sundown." Considering how often she sees him battling I guess it's not implausible from her end that he might have enemies. I still think the idea of him actually responding in such a manner is comical.
Nov 7, 2010 2:15 AM

May 2010
Next time, biri-biri! :D
dedean16Nov 7, 2010 2:19 AM
Nov 7, 2010 2:31 AM

Oct 2010
Gangler said:
Yumekichi11 said:
Vanisher said:
Also , what happened to sister angelene and sister lucia? i thought they were important , and lucia didnt seems like the kind of people that would retreat cuz agnese got defeated

Actaully now I'm wondering too. It's not as if touma beat them they just rejoined the troops and they were pretty fiercely loyal to agnese by the looks of it. Not to mention both of them seemed more versed in combat magic than any of their peers. It wouldn't have made a difference if they'd done it alone, but that wheel should have been hanging around somewhere. Maybe it's just not effective when she's near a bunch of her allies (the wheel can explode, but not much more. In battle it would have been hard to hit only her six targets or how ever many there were and avoid causing greater harm to her three hundred allies). Still doesn't explain why both of them were completely absent through all the proceedings...
Very well said but Angelene could have used her powers without causing any harm to others also it is unfortunate that the LN does not mention anything about them on that part.

Gangler said:
Edit: Yumekichi11 was wondering if anyone had any ln experience with crowley. This is from a later volume in the season but doesn't reveal any plot points. I thought it was a pretty cool description.

It's not technically anything you didn't know but I felt like it shed a bit of light on what kind of person we were dealing with.
I enjoyed reading that description it was quite fascinating and thoughtful. Gives a good impression on Aleister himself.

Nov 7, 2010 2:54 AM

Sep 2008
Yumekichi11 said:
Gangler said:
Yumekichi11 said:
Vanisher said:

Very well said but Angelene could have used her powers without causing any harm to others also it is unfortunate that the LN does not mention anything about them on that part.

I had the damnedest time understanding angelenes weapon in the book and the animation didn't really shed much light on it. You're right though, not only could it have been used without hurting her allies but presumably would have been very hard for any of kamijo's allies to defend against while they were busy fending off swarms of melee combatants. I imagine a well placed blow to the head while kamijo was carrying Orsula would have been helpful. Heck, I'm not sure of the range on them, but I imagine they could have been used to attack index from outside the range of her song.

Yumekichi11 said:

Gangler said:

I enjoyed reading that description it was quite fascinating and thoughtful. Gives a good impression on Aleister himself.
Glad you liked it. I was hesitant to post because it's further in the novels than the anime has reached, but it seemed harmless in terms of spoilers and it really did make a lasting impression on me. Plus when the scene comes I'm quite sure not a word of that narration will make it into the anime, which really is a shame, but also kind of unavoidable.
Nov 7, 2010 3:45 AM

Jan 2009
Confucius said:
Stiyl cast his fire demon spell and cleared them out.

He didn't, he wasn't even near them. He casted the fire to save himself while Mugen tried to help Index and was halted by Styl
/quote]

Ok like I said novel covers everything in more detail.

Basically in the light novel (confirmed with my friend who reads the chinese translated version) basically that girl with the spear (the one Touma knocked out in earlier episode) and saves them.
Nov 7, 2010 11:57 AM

Mar 2009
it's weird that this show is kind of attacking and defending the christian church at the same time..
Nov 7, 2010 12:32 PM

Mar 2009
I liked this episode, but seriosly, after every fight Touma ends up in the hospital :/
Preview: hurray Last Order will show up so probably Acselarator will show up too, and Misaka and Kuroko will be too, so i think that in the next episode we won`t see anything of Touma and Index :p :D
Nov 7, 2010 12:44 PM

Oct 2010
Ouran12 said:
it's weird that this show is kind of attacking and defending the christian church at the same time..
I find it baffling too. Maybe the chaos theory is implemented in this anime?

Nov 7, 2010 1:24 PM

Aug 2008
It seems the Angelican Church is the real winner here. How shrewd of them lol.
Nov 7, 2010 1:29 PM

Nov 2008
3_SworD_StylE said:
I liked this episode, but seriosly, after every fight Touma ends up in the hospital :/

He is human, you know, and he only has the image breaker as "deffensive weapon", so it can´t be helped.
Nov 7, 2010 1:30 PM

Sep 2008
Yumekichi11 said:
Ouran12 said:
It seems to me more a matter of every organization of sufficient power having a dark side in this anime. Christianity is far from being comprised of holy men in the tamni universe, but doesn't seem to have anything that makes it any more evil than any of the other powerfigures. In point of fact it's questionable whether we're even seeing genuine evil or just powerstruggles similar to what you'd find in any family of nobility. In the second option this would really be a matter of them looking bad due to being told from the perspective of those caught in the crossfire.
Nov 7, 2010 2:20 PM

Oct 2010
Gangler said:
Yumekichi11 said:
Ouran12 said:
It seems to me more a matter of every organization of sufficient power having a dark side in this anime. Christianity is far from being comprised of holy men in the tamni universe, but doesn't seem to have anything that makes it any more evil than any of the other powerfigures. In point of fact it's questionable whether we're even seeing genuine evil or just powerstruggles similar to what you'd find in any family of nobility. In the second option this would really be a matter of them looking bad due to being told from the perspective of those caught in the crossfire.
ROFL I am tired but I agree with you regardless chaos does equal confusion for the most part so I would not be surprised if that same confusion causes misunderstandings that can escalate into power struggles. Look at how manipulative Laura is and yet her manipulation failed at first until she understood another side that could work to keep Kaori on her leash. You see? Going to sleep. Cheers!

Nov 7, 2010 3:31 PM
Dec 2007
Gangler said:
Yumekichi11 said:
Ouran12 said:
I would go with the power struggle theory. There is no innate evil in the show, but rather people in power vying for more power. This lust for power and recognition has pretty much twisted all of the main players in the factions as evidenced by the Science faction's rather immoral Level Six experiments, The Anglican Church's manipulation of Index, Touma and Kanzaki (just to start with), and the Catholic's twisted belief of their superiority as the first Christian Church.

So, it's not that all of them are pure evil. All of them have several shades of gray, with hints of good and evil in their actions.

Nov 7, 2010 3:42 PM

Oct 2010
After the all the build-up and the stabbing out of eardrums the whole thing is over with a Touma punching that hoe in the face?
FFS this better get more entertaining or I'll probably complain a lot more but still watch it secretly..
Nov 7, 2010 4:00 PM

Jul 2010
Aw, I was hoping Kaori would come in and pwn the hell outta the Catholics, but Stiyl's epic entrance along with Touma's smacking of Agnese was okay too =/ Fire animation was nice.

It seems that the Anglican Church too has a dark side and can be pretty manipulative...I liked that little exposition at the end.

And yay, more Biribiri next episode ^_^
Nov 7, 2010 4:03 PM

Sep 2008
hikaricore said:
After the all the build-up and the stabbing out of eardrums the whole thing is over with a Touma punching that hoe in the face?
FFS this better get more entertaining or I'll probably complain a lot more but still watch it secretly..
Lol @ honest reaction. In all actuality pretty much every arc ends in touma punching someone in the face, thus fixing everthing. In season one there was all the buildup with a the creation and murdering of clones en masse, and it all got wrapped up when touma punched out accelerator. The hyouka arc had the mobilization of antiskill and severe endangerment of civilians and it all built up to touma punching out whatserface. It wasn't technically a punch but the same basic principle applies with the introduction of magic, evil wizards, evil wizards turn out to be good, science connections are used to expose a massive religios conspiracy to create and forcefully control a human superweapon and it built up to touma getting his hand in a Index's mouth. I think the deep blood arc and the heavens fall arc are probably the only notable exceptions, as the last order arc didn't feature touma as a character. Saving people by punching other people is kind of his thing.

Honestly I'm not sure what your complaint is. It's a common thing in shounen anime for massive buildup and the mobilization of many to build up to a one on one confrontation. Generally this is something we cheer for. Heck, come to think of it, if I had a nickel for every time an american movie had some evil army or organization attempt to destroy the world, only for james bond, jonah hex, neo, superman, indigo montoya, or whoever captain action hero is today to make everything better by beating the bad guy in a one on one confrontation it would take me some time to count all of the nickels I had acquired.
Nov 7, 2010 5:46 PM

May 2009
omg he punched a girl... TWICE lol
I like Kanzaki :)
The next episode seems to be fun~
Nov 7, 2010 8:34 PM
Apr 2009
Touma likes punching little girls. What's with Kanzaki?? That felt way out of character...
Nov 7, 2010 11:06 PM

Oct 2009
Awesome episode!
Touma punching the girl was rather... ehem >,<
Kanzaki moe~ ♥

Next week back to Railgun characters?! Meh hope it doesn't go "Season One" again...
Nov 7, 2010 11:48 PM

Feb 2008
quite enjoyed the episode... though i hoped Touma v. Agnese fight scene would be a bit longer... oh well, Touma received a lot of blows, but defeated sadistic moe nun in just two punches... yeah, right...

next episode starts another arc... wanna see how Musujime Awaki beats Kuroko...

not that I hate Kuroko.. but you see, Index rarely has such girl v. girl scenes... just gotta love how one hot chick beats the hell out of the other equally hot chick...

Nov 8, 2010 1:45 AM
Nov 2010
I don't feel comfortable with Touma non-hesitatingly punching a girl. Ever since he punched Sherry Cromwell. D:

I loved the part of deafening with a pen :D

And I'm surely excited with seeing and hearing KUROKO again. OMG, she is the star of Railgun (because Mikoto is a tsuntsun). :3
Nov 8, 2010 2:32 AM

Sep 2008
agent535 said:
quite enjoyed the episode... though i hoped Touma v. Agnese fight scene would be a bit longer... oh well, Touma received a lot of blows, but defeated sadistic moe nun in just two punches... yeah, right...

next episode starts another arc... wanna see how Musujime Awaki beats Kuroko...

not that I hate Kuroko.. but you see, Index rarely has such girl v. girl scenes... just gotta love how one hot chick beats the hell out of the other equally hot chick...

It's not implausable at all for touma in such a beaten state to win with two punches. Despite her magical prowess, if there's one thing small children are not known for, it's their ability to take a punch. You can try it some time if you want. Just go punch out some local seven year old and see how much of a fight he can produce. I wouldn't recommend such action what with the criminal charges that would follow, but it's perfectly testable.

Cyclose said:
I don't feel comfortable with Touma non-hesitatingly punching a girl. Ever since he punched Sherry Cromwell. D:
Well that has to suck for you. He's never been one to let himself and others fall into danger simply because the serial killer is a woman. I imagine this isn't going to change anytime soon.
Speaking to someone uncomfortable with this I'd like to ask how that works. Like if there's a female protagonist (say maybe maka of soul eater) does it make you uncomfortable to see her recieve injuries in combat? Does this only apply if there is a male opponent? Is this something that has provided difficulty for you in shows that have combat capable women in them (good or evil) in the past? I'm just interested in how such a viewpoint would effect how one perceives combat women in general.
Nov 8, 2010 6:01 AM

Feb 2010
WTF...Touma just punched a girl!!

:D
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Nov 8, 2010 6:12 AM
Jun 2008
Cashdaxxx said:

its not a girl, its a loli
Nov 8, 2010 8:03 AM

Oct 2010
MorningGlory said:
Cashdaxxx said:

its not a girl, its a loli
That was initial impression at first. But it was not WTF it was fuck you Touma instead with nerd rage.
Gangler said:
hikaricore said:
Lol @ honest reaction. In all actuality pretty much every arc ends in touma punching someone in the face, thus fixing everthing. In season one there was all the buildup with a the creation and murdering of clones en masse, and it all got wrapped up when touma punched out accelerator. The hyouka arc had the mobilization of antiskill and severe endangerment of civilians and it all built up to touma punching out whatserface. It wasn't technically a punch but the same basic principle applies with the introduction of magic, evil wizards, evil wizards turn out to be good, science connections are used to expose a massive religios conspiracy to create and forcefully control a human superweapon and it built up to touma getting his hand in a Index's mouth. I think the deep blood arc and the heavens fall arc are probably the only notable exceptions, as the last order arc didn't feature touma as a character. Saving people by punching other people is kind of his thing.
Well that's my problem at first for just having the arc end with Touma punching someone and it all end with of course Touma going to the hospital.

#2 Is that it's all sending a wrong message and a good one. The wrong one is violence solves it all no matter who it is on even a kid I assume if that kid is evil even though it is religious or not, punching it would make a change and solve the problem should words or convincing fail. Wrong way man! The good one is that it avoids killing as a punch hurts but does not kill. That's all I think it conveys.
Yumekichi11Nov 8, 2010 8:07 AM

Nov 8, 2010 9:40 AM

Sep 2008
Yumekichi11 said:

Gangler said:
hikaricore said:
Well that's my problem at first for just having the arc end with Touma punching someone and it all end with of course Touma going to the hospital.

#2 Is that it's all sending a wrong message and a good one. The wrong one is violence solves it all no matter who it is on even a kid I assume if that kid is evil even though it is religious or not, punching it would make a change and solve the problem should words or convincing fail. Wrong way man! The good one is that it avoids killing as a punch hurts but does not kill. That's all I think it conveys.
I'd try and keep in mind that there's only really a limited potential to convert these lessons into real life, as the circumstances are pretty far from ordinary. Using violence to solve problems like terrorists, hostage takers, warmongers, serial killers, and other major threats to the safety of the public and those close to you is a bit different from using violence to solve all problems. He doesn't beat up teachers over bad marks, or rob people to solve his money problems, or any other similar example. In point of fact, while diplomacy is a useful tool, there are times when force is required. Add to that the fact that touma has neither the skillset, nor the authority required to properly utilize diplomacy, and his options are limited. Laura stewart, aleister crowley, and other figures are in charge of diplomacy. Touma only really gets called when "talking it out" has failed. I suppose a soldier could try and reason with the opposing soldiers, but he wouldn't get very far as neither of them would really have the authority to call off the attack. Not to mention that very few people are in a proper listening mood in the middle of a battlefield.

Heck, it's not as if he's never used his words. He spoke things out with stiyl and kanzaki when there appeared to be more to the story than he knew. He attempted to reason with Izzard until he killed an innocent right in front of him. He deemed accelerator to be beyond reasoning with, which is understandable in the face of ten thousand homicides. He never really had a proper opportunity to speak with the fallen angel. I seem to recall him speaking with sherry for the length of time it took her to start attacking his friends. Heck, in episode one of the first season he attempts to reason with a man he sees harassing a middleschool girl (misaka), though that backfired. It's a little bit much to start getting judgmental because he responds to the endangerment of innocents with force.
Nov 8, 2010 12:55 PM
Dec 2007
Gangler said:

Heck, it's not as if he's never used his words. He spoke things out with stiyl and kanzaki when there appeared to be more to the story than he knew. He attempted to reason with Izzard until he killed an innocent right in front of him. He deemed accelerator to be beyond reasoning with, which is understandable in the face of ten thousand homicides. He never really had a proper opportunity to speak with the fallen angel. I seem to recall him speaking with sherry for the length of time it took her to start attacking his friends. Heck, in episode one of the first season he attempts to reason with a man he sees harassing a middleschool girl (misaka), though that backfired. It's a little bit much to start getting judgmental because he responds to the endangerment of innocents with force.
Well said. Also I might add, this is a shounen anime. In case you don't know, almost all shounen anime end in violence and one on one fights.

Nov 8, 2010 9:03 PM

Sep 2009
That was a nice punch from Touma.
Nov 9, 2010 2:24 AM
Nov 2010
Gangler said:
Speaking to someone uncomfortable with this I'd like to ask how that works. Like if there's a female protagonist (say maybe maka of soul eater) does it make you uncomfortable to see her recieve injuries in combat? Does this only apply if there is a male opponent? Is this something that has provided difficulty for you in shows that have combat capable women in them (good or evil) in the past? I'm just interested in how such a viewpoint would effect how one perceives combat women in general.

He can just slap her (reduced damage but maintains respect). I don't mind a female protagonist to be hurted (reminds me of Biribiri against the Meltdowner). But Touma punching a girl is an OOC!!! Just slap them (hug them, kiss them, or let the other finish them, such as Index, Stiyl, etcs).
Nov 9, 2010 6:56 AM

Oct 2010
Gangler said:

I'd try and keep in mind that there's only really a limited potential to convert these lessons into real life, as the circumstances are pretty far from ordinary.

Yes I know I was just trying to created a correlations of possibilities.
Gangler said:
Using violence to solve problems like terrorists, hostage takers, warmongers, serial killers, and other major threats to the safety of the public and those close to you is a bit different from using violence to solve all problems. He doesn't beat up teachers over bad marks, or rob people to solve his money problems, or any other similar example.
That was not the point it was more of going towards violence being the only solution in where all fails the best of one's abilities. Of course Touma would never do what you mention. That's agreeable nor Touma would agree with the forced acts of IRL situation to obtain what those forces wish.
Gangler said:
In point of fact, while diplomacy is a useful tool, there are times when force is required. Add to that the fact that touma has neither the skill set, nor the authority required to properly utilize diplomacy, and his options are limited.
He does try to negotiate that's for sure and he did show quite a good amount of it during the Kanzaki arc in which if it was not for those words she would have never shown mercy on him at all.
Gangler said:
Laura stewart, aleister crowley, and other figures are in charge of diplomacy. Touma only really gets called when "talking it out" has failed. I suppose a soldier could try and reason with the opposing soldiers, but he wouldn't get very far as neither of them would really have the authority to call off the attack. Not to mention that very few people are in a proper listening mood in the middle of a battlefield.
Agreed never the less trying should not be a failure to forget at the very least.
Gangler said:
Heck, it's not as if he's never used his words. He spoke things out with stiyl and kanzaki when there appeared to be more to the story than he knew. He attempted to reason with Izzard until he killed an innocent right in front of him.
Agree with Kanzaki and Magnus but not Izzard. He did kill the girl but made her suffer or at least KO her. She might have killed herself due to wound inflicting but Izzard ultimately wanted her suffering to be used as power if I remember correctly.
Gangler said:
He deemed accelerator to be beyond reasoning with, which is understandable in the face of ten thousand homicides. He never really had a proper opportunity to speak with the fallen angel. I seem to recall him speaking with sherry for the length of time it took her to start attacking his friends.

Agreed with Accelerator since he has far too proud of his power at that time. Fallen Angel arc happened too sudden and when he solved it was all over so no he had no time. Sherry he tried but she refused his words of mediation.
Gangler said:
Heck, in episode one of the first season he attempts to reason with a man he sees harassing a middle school girl (misaka), though that backfired. It's a little bit much to start getting judgmental because he responds to the endangerment of innocents with force.
Yes because once again those wore punks who were too proud of their social status and deemed Touma into a worthless person that would stand no chance with a fist to fist fight with the amount of people they were. Sry for late reply.

Nov 9, 2010 8:45 AM

Sep 2008
Yumekichi11 said:

Gangler said:
Using violence to solve problems like terrorists, hostage takers, warmongers, serial killers, and other major threats to the safety of the public and those close to you is a bit different from using violence to solve all problems. He doesn't beat up teachers over bad marks, or rob people to solve his money problems, or any other similar example.
That was not the point it was more of going towards violence being the only solution in where all fails the best of one's abilities. Of course Touma would never do what you mention. That's agreeable nor Touma would agree with the forced acts of IRL situation to obtain what those forces wish.
That makes more sense I guess. I personally still thinks it beats talking it out while innocent people come to harm so we can feel like we've taken the moral high ground, but many would argue that what's right is right regardless of the inherent consequences.

Yumekichi11 said:

Gangler said:
In point of fact, while diplomacy is a useful tool, there are times when force is required. Add to that the fact that touma has neither the skill set, nor the authority required to properly utilize diplomacy, and his options are limited.
He does try to negotiate that's for sure and he did show quite a good amount of it during the Kanzaki arc in which if it was not for those words she would have never shown mercy on him at all.

Gangler said:
Laura stewart, aleister crowley, and other figures are in charge of diplomacy. Touma only really gets called when "talking it out" has failed. I suppose a soldier could try and reason with the opposing soldiers, but he wouldn't get very far as neither of them would really have the authority to call off the attack. Not to mention that very few people are in a proper listening mood in the middle of a battlefield.
Agreed never the less trying should not be a failure to forget at the very least.

Most of the time he does at least put in the token effort, but sometimes it's just inapropriate. What was he supposed to say to agnese? "Dude, killing people is not cools yo. You totes should stop doing that." Sometimes the difference in perspective goes beyond the ability of a single conversation to repair. While we're talking about agnese, it occurs to me that she did throw the initial punch, and then continued to attack with a strength and frequency that was not conducive to proper conversation.

Yumekichi11 said:

Gangler said:
Heck, it's not as if he's never used his words. He spoke things out with stiyl and kanzaki when there appeared to be more to the story than he knew. He attempted to reason with Izzard until he killed an innocent right in front of him.
Agree with Kanzaki and Magnus but not Izzard. He did kill the girl but made her suffer or at least KO her. She might have killed herself due to wound inflicting but Izzard ultimately wanted her suffering to be used as power if I remember correctly.

http://www.zomganime.com/anime/t/to-aru-majutsu-no-index/9/22106
he spends the first nine minutes of the episode reasoning with Aureolis. at nine minutes and nine seconds Izzard kills Himegami, which kamijo is able to undo with his imagine breaker.

Yumekichi11 said:

Gangler said:
He deemed accelerator to be beyond reasoning with, which is understandable in the face of ten thousand homicides. He never really had a proper opportunity to speak with the fallen angel. I seem to recall him speaking with sherry for the length of time it took her to start attacking his friends.

Agreed with Accelerator since he has far too proud of his power at that time. Fallen Angel arc happened too sudden and when he solved it was all over so no he had no time. Sherry he tried but she refused his words of mediation.
Gangler said:
Heck, in episode one of the first season he attempts to reason with a man he sees harassing a middle school girl (misaka), though that backfired. It's a little bit much to start getting judgmental because he responds to the endangerment of innocents with force.
Yes because once again those wore punks who were too proud of their social status and deemed Touma into a worthless person that would stand no chance with a fist to fist fight with the amount of people they were. Sry for late reply.
Don't worry about reply time. It's a forum not a chat room.

It's worth noting that kamijo really couldn't take them. There were about seven of them (ballpark) and one of him. He can only block so much with one hand and if they'd just used their fists he'd be even worse off.

Overall this sounds like it's a matter of deciding exactly how much he should have to talk things out before violence is acceptable, and how much danger there must be to how many people in order to warrant violence in the first place. We have to keep in mind that ultimately there will be fighting, because if we spent five episodes building up these evil characters and their doom machine, or spell as the case may be, and had it end with a civil discussion over scones culminating in the science side making some minor alterations to a trade agreement in order to satisfy their political neighbors it just wouldn't make for a thrilling story. Perhaps another genre could pull that off, but that would be an entirely different target demographic. For the most part the moment you introduce a pyromancer you can be sure that there will be violence ahead.
Nov 9, 2010 2:25 PM

Jan 2009
Someone refresh me, did Kanzaki have a crush on Touma in the first season? It's been so long since I watched it I can't remember, but from this episode it seems like she "fell" for him in the past, he probably rescued her at one point or something. Like i said.. it's been so damn long since I watched season 1 lol.
Nov 9, 2010 2:35 PM

Sep 2008
KanuTousen said:
Someone refresh me, did Kanzaki have a crush on Touma in the first season? It's been so long since I watched it I can't remember, but from this episode it seems like she "fell" for him in the past, he probably rescued her at one point or something. Like i said.. it's been so damn long since I watched season 1 lol.
This is the first instance of us really getting to see beyond her "stern warrior" side. I seem to recall a bath scene during the angel fall arc that could be said to have first established that she is capable of vulnerability, but there has been no moment that would indicate that she has feelings for him before now.
Nov 9, 2010 3:55 PM

Jan 2009
Thanks for the reply Gangler! She just seemed so embarrassed/flushed in that ep5 scene, but I guess it was just because she had to let down her tough exterior to thank him.

edit: Gangler, I read your post on page 6, which pretty much answers my question as well. I should have looked at the thread and figured that other people were as confused as I was. Thanks.
KanuTousenNov 9, 2010 4:00 PM
Nov 9, 2010 6:47 PM

Oct 2010
Gangler said:
Yumekichi11 said:

Gangler said:
he spends the first nine minutes of the episode reasoning with Aureolis. at nine minutes and nine seconds Izzard kills Himegami, which kamijo is able to undo with his imagine breaker.

OMG it's been ages but that is so true! He does kill her. I did not think you were talking about Himegami, I was thinking more along the lines of the girl who was self-mutilating herself.

Nov 9, 2010 7:51 PM
Dec 2007
Yumekichi11 said:

Gangler said:

OMG it's been ages but that is so true! He does kill her. I did not think you were talking about Himegami, I was thinking more along the lines of the girl who was self-mutilating herself.
Truth be told I thought so too until I remembered the actual main fight, which was pretty awesome.

Nov 9, 2010 8:23 PM

Oct 2010
Leon-Gun said:
Yumekichi11 said:

Gangler said:

Truth be told I thought so too until I remembered the actual main fight, which was pretty awesome.
Indeed so Himegami owes her life to Touma and as such Agnese might also change due to all this but that's only if Touma saves her during a fight she is part of but a enemy or bad guy of it. It remains to be seen. I would prefer if Agnese saves Touma somehow.

Nov 10, 2010 7:43 AM

Sep 2008
KanuTousen said:
Thanks for the reply Gangler! She just seemed so embarrassed/flushed in that ep5 scene, but I guess it was just because she had to let down her tough exterior to thank him.

edit: Gangler, I read your post on page 6, which pretty much answers my question as well. I should have looked at the thread and figured that other people were as confused as I was. Thanks.

Glad I could help. As far as earlier posts go don't worry about it. Heaven knows we've all at some point wanted to say something but either not had the time or the will to read through seven pages of leadup first.

Yumekichi11 said:
Leon-Gun said:
Yumekichi11 said:

Gangler said:

Indeed so Himegami owes her life to Touma and as such Agnese might also change due to all this but that's only if Touma saves her during a fight she is part of but a enemy or bad guy of it. It remains to be seen. I would prefer if Agnese saves Touma somehow.

It does seem to be a trend that the people touma rescues become either friends or allies. I imagine if he were to rescue her there would be similar results. With that flashback they do seem to have set her up for a reappearance, and she doesn't really seem to have the proper build for a recurring villain so I've got my hopes up.

I love the izzard fight. I don't think it gets quite enough credit. The accellerator battle was of course the best in s1 (not even a competition really), but that izzard fight leaves nothing to be desired. In that final moment they really make great use of what they don't show you, which is uncommon. One thing that seemed odd to me though is that after the fact you never see stiyl comment on what it was like being torn from his flesh like that. He's completely unfazed, and even with his experience on the field that seems a bit odd. That's nitpicking though and not really a genuine complaint so much as just something I always notice.

On another note entirely, can I ask who the self mutilating girl we keep talking about is? I'm not sure I remember someone like that. Was it one of the espers izzard was forcing to use magic?
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index II Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Nov 19, 2010

251 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 29, 2023 10:33 AM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index II Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aezile - Apr 1, 2011

236 by WELLERM »»
Nov 28, 2023 1:47 PM

Poll: » Speculations for Ep. 23 ( 1 2 )

Aezile - Mar 18, 2011

53 by WELLERM »»
Nov 28, 2023 1:47 PM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index II Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Aezile - Mar 11, 2011

174 by WELLERM »»
Nov 28, 2023 1:46 PM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index II Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Aezile - Mar 4, 2011

135 by WELLERM »»
Nov 28, 2023 1:46 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.