Forum Settings
Forums

So do males anime fan and females anime fan got a long well?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 15, 2010 2:06 PM

Oct 2007
I have one close friend of both sexes who likes anime. The girl is far more annoying than the boy when it comes to anime though, since she has far different tastes to myself and the guy.
Jul 15, 2010 2:09 PM

Dec 2008
The girls in the anime club in my school get along fine with me , and friends. They normally just read there manga while thye usually don't mind what we watch as long as it's "Not Mainstream"
Jul 15, 2010 2:12 PM

Jun 2008
obliviouz said:
I'm surprised not a lot of people know(or get along with) the opposite sex when it comes to anime fans. For those that still go to school or uni, don't you have clubs that may relate to anime/manga?
One club. Around 80 people who first signed up, only like 20-30 shows up in a consistent basis though. There's also an office, but I only visited once since it's small and can't possibly fit more than 10 people before stuff began falling. The ratio is about the same, and physical appearances vary.
Jul 15, 2010 2:12 PM

Nov 2008
Cholisose said:
jpunk said:

Oh, and by the way, my 9 year-old sister is watching Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.
She is loving it. XD

Oh gosh, her poor childhood. Shouldn't she be watching Hamtaro? >_>

She'll be fine, my twin nieces watched Elfen Lied.

Jul 15, 2010 2:31 PM

Dec 2008
Obviously there is shounen and shoujo (among others) to direct boys toward certain series and girls toward certain series, but girls can like shounen and boys can like shoujo series...

I have a male friend I watch some anime with... and my brothers and I sometimes watch anime together as well. So yeah, they share a similar interest, they just may be more decisive over what they both care to watch. *shrug*
Jul 15, 2010 3:41 PM

Sep 2008
lol@ccs haters

I think as long as you avoid the "OGM SUGOI YAOI" girls or "OGM SUGOI HENTAI" guys anyone should be fine.

You're more likely to get along with someone that doesn't watch anime at all though.
Jul 15, 2010 3:59 PM

Sep 2009
Blaze-Senpai said:
lol@ccs haters

I think as long as you avoid the "OGM SUGOI YAOI" girls or "OGM SUGOI HENTAI" guys anyone should be fine.

You're more likely to get along with someone that doesn't watch anime at all though.

No one said they hated CCS. :p
Jul 15, 2010 4:07 PM

Jun 2010
I dont have anyone to watch anime with in the 1st place :(
I'd like to everything.
Jul 15, 2010 4:10 PM

Nov 2008
So many yaoi hater! XD
Can't blame them. Yuri/Yaoi are both..not good for your soul!

On-topic:
I think they do since I'm a girl and I love shounen anime than shoujo. And I also see a lot of girls out here in MAL who actually love shounen. C'mon guys were not only about shoujo or yaoi ^_^.
And you can also see lots of girls out there who also hate yaoi/yuri.

XD
Jul 15, 2010 4:30 PM

Nov 2009
I know some women who like anime and our taste isn't too different.
Jul 15, 2010 4:31 PM

Aug 2009
xD What an interesting question!

I get along with male and female anime fans and I also DON'T get along with both male and female anime fans.

Seriously though, I am a HUMONGOUS Fujoshi (no, I don't mean I'm fat xD), but woahmygod, I only discuss yaoi with other yaoi fans.
My boyfriend is a huge mecha fan and loves GAR characters, so I discuss those types of things with him (I've even let myself get into mecha anime =o!)
There are also boys that I can discuss shoujo with. =3

If somebody started going on and on about an anime I hated, I'd get annoyed, but that goes for anything not just anime.

My problem mostly lies with teenage weeaboos, and 14-year-old girls that are into yaoi, and go on about it. (age restrictions are there for a reason =D)
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jul 15, 2010 9:18 PM
Jun 2009
it's like this we get along pretty well i talk about kuroshitsuji and they all fall over like dominoes it's like balh blah they explain al lthe stuff and i'm like yesh... w.e LOL and we just hcilll like that and then we start talking about sstudying cause we're asian. XD
Jul 15, 2010 9:29 PM

May 2008
It all depends on the person and their tastes. Not everyone can get along when it comes to anime you see. Even if they are of the same gender.
Jul 15, 2010 9:33 PM

Jan 2009
Generally they do. Or at least where I live they do. The anime club I was VP of in high school had equal amounts of females and males. We got a long really well. So from my perspective to answer your question yes male anime fans and female anime fans get along well.
Jul 15, 2010 9:36 PM

Oct 2007
This question might as well be 'are you gay?'

life is a dream
~death is reality
Jul 15, 2010 9:45 PM

Oct 2008
I can get along quite well with the guy in my class, since i rarely watch shoujo things, and tends to watch the series which guys or both genres can watch more often. But basically i don't believe i myself can get along with otaku girls, not to say the guys can.
Jul 15, 2010 9:47 PM

Feb 2010
nope haven't met a chick that likes anime alot that they'd talk about it like i do. some guy friends sure but in context its asian girls talking about korean dramas and the asian dudes and one mexican guy talking about anime
Jul 15, 2010 9:49 PM

Aug 2008
I get along with my femael anime fan friends, though most of them always show off with they're damn yaoi.

Jul 15, 2010 9:53 PM

Oct 2008
Now that I remember there was this one friend who was watching Death Note after I finished it and she asked me "L or Light?"
I told her "L"
She told me: "Eww!Light's much cuter"
Like OMG! I don't like any of the Death Note characters based on appearance - it's their personality *facepalm*
Jul 15, 2010 10:01 PM

Apr 2010
Yes. Ever since I started watching anime my sister and I get along fine, we always fought or ignored each other. And I get along well with the only other girl I know that likes anime as much as I do. Even though her tastes are different from mine.

Jul 15, 2010 10:05 PM

Jun 2009
Everyone I know speaks on the same wavelength, so I would have to say yes.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 15, 2010 11:13 PM

May 2010
I'm a guy who likes fantasy, romance, and comedy animes that don't have a lot of blood, so I'd imagine that I fit more with girl's animes. I do like some ecchi though, and I'm guessing girls don't as much. But I just don't like a ton of intense violence/ blood in my anime.
Jul 16, 2010 12:26 AM
Jul 2010
I think it's okay for my sister to watch HNNKN, as long as her nii-san is on her side, explaining what's going on and stuff. She likes it and doesn't have nightmares about it. That's good enough for me.
Jul 16, 2010 3:37 AM

Jan 2010
n01kaizerm said:

This goes for the majority of people you meet in public who claim to be fans of "anime". They either only watch the popular crap or whatever is on Adult Swim on Saturday nights.

Chances are, you aren't going to find many "anime fans" who know anything beyond those type of anime series you just listed.

I once met someone who claimed he was a big Gundam fan; apparently watched them all. Yet he said his favorite Gundam series was Gundam SEED. While I don't like to assume things, if you've watched every single Gundam series; how would SEED be your favorite? I guess it's possible, but it seems unlikely with masterpieces such as Zeta Gundam or even Turn-A Gundam was pretty damned good, even if it was a little light-hearted for a Tomino-directed Gundam series.

You know, I despise this sort of anime-elitist attitude.

It's like saying "you don't know good literature, you've only read a few books and very few classics!". That doesn't change the fact that they liked it, and it doesn't change the fact that they're still fans of literature and books.

So what if they watch the stuff on Adult Swim? They've got FMA: Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, and plenty of other titles that could MAKE people into anime fans.

I've only seen Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED, and I love them both, does that not make ME a gundam fan? I, quite honestly, think the Universal Century gundam timelines seem boring as hell, mostly because they're daunting in their length and unappealing in their technological aspects. Effectively, they just come across as even more cheesy than most mecha. However, I am still a gundam fan. From what I hear SEED is basically a more modernized original Mobile Suit Gundam, anyway.

Back to the topic, though, I've gotten along pretty well with all female anime fans that I've encountered. However, I simply can't bring myself to enjoy stuff like Lucky Star or anything, much less talk about it. There is a barrier, just like television that most men watch different things than women.

ladyxzeus said:
Yes they do.

Sometimes they even have sex, and make tiny anime fans.

You can DO THAT!? Wow, I'll have to try this kind of thing once I get done watching anime!
Jul 16, 2010 3:47 AM
Jun 2010
Brockemsockem said:
n01kaizerm said:

This goes for the majority of people you meet in public who claim to be fans of "anime". They either only watch the popular crap or whatever is on Adult Swim on Saturday nights.

Chances are, you aren't going to find many "anime fans" who know anything beyond those type of anime series you just listed.

I once met someone who claimed he was a big Gundam fan; apparently watched them all. Yet he said his favorite Gundam series was Gundam SEED. While I don't like to assume things, if you've watched every single Gundam series; how would SEED be your favorite? I guess it's possible, but it seems unlikely with masterpieces such as Zeta Gundam or even Turn-A Gundam was pretty damned good, even if it was a little light-hearted for a Tomino-directed Gundam series.

You know, I despise this sort of anime-elitist attitude.

It's like saying "you don't know good literature, you've only read a few books and very few classics!". That doesn't change the fact that they liked it, and it doesn't change the fact that they're still fans of literature and books.

So what if they watch the stuff on Adult Swim? They've got FMA: Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, and plenty of other titles that could MAKE people into anime fans.

I've only seen Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED, and I love them both, does that not make ME a gundam fan? I, quite honestly, think the Universal Century gundam timelines seem boring as hell, mostly because they're daunting in their length and unappealing in their technological aspects. Effectively, they just come across as even more cheesy than most mecha. However, I am still a gundam fan. From what I hear SEED is basically a more modernized original Mobile Suit Gundam, anyway.

Since you've never seen the original Gundam; there are only striking similarities between the two. Past that; SEED takes on something different (Something more shounen-ish) in nature.

Never said there is anything wrong with watching this sort of stuff, but if the guy claims to be a "HUGE GUNDAM Fan", you take the liberty to watch them all. You call me an "elitist", but at least I've watched even the stuff I dislike. It took me about 3 tries before I could finish SEED, but I watched it anyway. I never say something is boring or claim it to be ridiculous or whatnot unless I've seen it for myself. No other's opinion or "summaries" will do so otherwise. Take everything with a grain of salt and find it out for yourself. :p

But alas, I'm a mecha fan first before I'm a "Gundam fan"; and I'm probably a Tomino Yukiyoshi fan before I'm a Gundam fan. Because he's the reason for my interest in mecha in the first place. I've loved basically all of his works. I'm slightly disappointed that he has no intentions of atleast creating a new plot for a new Gundam series; and it's been atleast 11 years since Turn-A Gundam was out.

But the facts are, the majority of "hard-core" anime fans generally get their anime from the internet or imports or from random stores that sell beyond the basic stuff. Adult-Swim used to be a fairly decent place to start off (It still is to an extent); but my attempts to discuss classical anime with people who claim to he "big fans" of anime; are usually alienated from my conversations. And with that, I never have a chance to have an interesting conversation about anime; and unless I talk about Bleach or Naruto; all I can do is make suggestions to these people to try and find some sort of connection with them. :\
n01kaizermJul 16, 2010 3:51 AM
Jul 16, 2010 4:10 AM

May 2009
Just depends on who the people are. Personally, I'm always watching anime with guys. I don't really know any other females that like anime actually, and the ones I have met are either stuck up, crazy, and/or only like girly, skinny, emo boys and animes equivalent to Vampire Knight. Plus, my taste in anime is closer to males tastes anyway. I like mecha, GAR/badass characters, and enjoy harem shows with a lot of ecchi occasionally. I do like some shoujo anime or shounen ai stuff here and there, but I don't go trying to make my guy friends watch it. Haha! xD
Jul 16, 2010 5:13 AM

Nov 2008
Yes. My sister and my gf like it.
Jul 16, 2010 5:38 AM

Aug 2009
shadowsword said:
Now that I remember there was this one friend who was watching Death Note after I finished it and she asked me "L or Light?"
I told her "L"
She told me: "Eww!Light's much cuter"
Like OMG! I don't like any of the Death Note characters based on appearance - it's their personality *facepalm*

xDxDxD I would've facepalmed so hard.

Seriously, it sounds like almost every female anime fan must be into yaoi or something.
I like how there are so many totally different answers (obviously there would be)

Anime fans can totally procreate, then their children will procreate with other anime fans and on and on and on until the world is full of them 0o
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jul 16, 2010 7:15 AM

Oct 2009
i have female and male friends that watch anime.

As was already said, sure, we watch different shows, but thats all cool. For example, i can be "omg yaoi!" with my female friends and "omg boobs!" with my male friends.
Jul 16, 2010 7:57 AM

Feb 2009
They get along well, and sometimes they make sweet love.
Jul 16, 2010 8:34 AM

Aug 2008
Um, yes? It makes it easier when male friends share my gaming and anime/manga interests as it gives something for us to talk about.
Jul 16, 2010 3:31 PM
Jul 2010
Anime fans can totally procreate, then their children will procreate with other anime fans and on and on and on until the world is full of them 0o

Now that's what I like to call a happy thought!!! A world where everyone likes anime XD I have no problem at all when it comes to be friends with female anime fans... Sometimes tastes may be different. in my case, the ones i know have the same taste as me. Regardless of gender, I say you should watch whatever you feel like watching and just don't care if other people say: wtf is he/she watching??? I take pride on not watching mainstream anime. At leas it's not mainstream in my country.

Usually I bring my mp4 to classes and people often see me watching anime. then these girls in my class caught me watching Elfen Lied, but they were all "We love that too!"
before that I didn't even knew they were into anime. that was one year ago.
Jul 16, 2010 5:13 PM

May 2010
hell yeah. at camp there was this huge group of people both guys and girls who would get together every few days and watch random stuff from like every genre. we also bonded over childhood anime watching like pokemon, sailor moon, totoro, etc.

but maybe we got along so well because it was japanese camp... ^^;
Jul 16, 2010 5:47 PM

May 2010
In some cases yes, in others no.

I'm a female and I have a male friend IRL who is a fan. Sometimes we'll spend the whole bus ride on the way to school discussing anime and manga. We get along like close siblings.

I also have male anime fan friends on the internet who I get along with.
On the other hand, I don't get along with some anime fans on the internet.
Jul 16, 2010 7:16 PM

Jan 2010
n01kaizerm said:

But the facts are, the majority of "hard-core" anime fans generally get their anime from the internet or imports or from random stores that sell beyond the basic stuff. Adult-Swim used to be a fairly decent place to start off (It still is to an extent); but my attempts to discuss classical anime with people who claim to he "big fans" of anime; are usually alienated from my conversations. And with that, I never have a chance to have an interesting conversation about anime; and unless I talk about Bleach or Naruto; all I can do is make suggestions to these people to try and find some sort of connection with them. :

I see where you're coming from now. Oh and in response to Gundam, I just can't do it; there's so much more interesting out there I gotta see before I watch oldies, or even try to get past the cheese-factor of them.

Agreed with the semi-comment about Adult Swim's former pedigree of decent anime, but you did say "crap on AS" so that is saying there's something wrong with watching those shows, FYI. Yes, though, I see where you're coming from and I concur/relate far too often, and I'm not even hardcore. I refuse to watch the Bleaches and Narutos of the world, myself, which makes it difficult to relate to most supposed anime fans, especially Narutard girls.

I don't like Bleach, Naruto, or Twilight, basically never getting a GF of similar/nerdy interests. =P
Jul 16, 2010 7:43 PM

Apr 2010
I actually think they do get along pretty well! ♥
Jul 16, 2010 7:47 PM

Jun 2007
ladyxzeus said:
Yes they do.

Sometimes they even have sex, and make tiny anime fans.

this is funny

i havent met an girl that is a fan of anime in real life so i havent discussed or watched anime with one, but i do discuss with girl online and that is just fine. yup

well ofcourse there are difference in tastes. well i like some shoujo stuff as well.
Jul 16, 2010 8:25 PM

Aug 2009
It mostly depends on the people and interests.
Though generally I'd say yes
Jul 17, 2010 4:52 AM

Jul 2010
I see no problem there.. I have both male and female anime friends.. I see no difference:p
Jul 17, 2010 5:21 AM
Jun 2010
Brockemsockem said:
n01kaizerm said:

But the facts are, the majority of "hard-core" anime fans generally get their anime from the internet or imports or from random stores that sell beyond the basic stuff. Adult-Swim used to be a fairly decent place to start off (It still is to an extent); but my attempts to discuss classical anime with people who claim to he "big fans" of anime; are usually alienated from my conversations. And with that, I never have a chance to have an interesting conversation about anime; and unless I talk about Bleach or Naruto; all I can do is make suggestions to these people to try and find some sort of connection with them. :

I see where you're coming from now. Oh and in response to Gundam, I just can't do it; there's so much more interesting out there I gotta see before I watch oldies, or even try to get past the cheese-factor of them.

Agreed with the semi-comment about Adult Swim's former pedigree of decent anime, but you did say "crap on AS" so that is saying there's something wrong with watching those shows, FYI. Yes, though, I see where you're coming from and I concur/relate far too often, and I'm not even hardcore. I refuse to watch the Bleaches and Narutos of the world, myself, which makes it difficult to relate to most supposed anime fans, especially Narutard girls.

I don't like Bleach, Naruto, or Twilight, basically never getting a GF of similar/nerdy interests. =P

There is a really "cheesy-factor" in Mobile Suit Gundam, and perhaps a little in ZZ Gundam, but I find 80s anime to be incredibly serious and dark compared to the stuff we watch today. Actually, I find that bit of "realism" to be rather entertaining. Try watching stuff like Aura Battler Dunbine or Armored Trooper VOTOMS; they're definitely not trying to make any sort of "happy-happy" ending.

But I'm disappointed in general with Adult Swim. They either just show repeats of the same show over and over again or put on their "original programming" (Bleh). I mean sure, it's a nice way to get into anime. Without them, I would've probably never liked Inuyasha as a child, and looked on the internet about that stuff to find other interesting animes out there. But at the same time, they're generally showing stuff on late night television that is probably directed towards teens instead of "adults". :p

There are just so many dubs out there that Adult-Swim could be showing, yet they spend their time creating completely random "odd" shows that should probably never be on television. They get fairly good ratings with anime, but since they've quit making anime the biggest part of their program, I guess people prefer ish like repeats of Family Guy you can find anywhere on television. If they'd atleast take time to put interesting shows like the dub of Zeta Gundam; hell, put the damned dub of Aura Battler Dunbine on there and see any response. Who wouldn't want to watch a medieval anime with mecha? ;)

I'm all for helping people who primarily enjoy Bleach/Naruto/etc. into the world of anime. But they're rather stubborn. I'll suggest sites they can watch stuff that have no chance of becoming a dub or whatnot. But most of the time, they just refuse. I'll even suggest the stuff I think is "mediocre" (My definition is mindless fighting with very little character development and plot).
n01kaizermJul 17, 2010 5:24 AM
Jul 17, 2010 7:24 AM

Mar 2010
Yeah, but I don't think that it works with a convinced fujoshi and a guy who likes harems.
Anyway for example one of my friends watched an anime after I talked about it, and he's a guy. Oh, I'm not a fujoshi. However who cares.
Jul 17, 2010 8:02 AM

Apr 2010
i get alog with girl anime fans juss fine , the only differance is that thers only a few shows both like to watch in most cases, and thers really not alot of girl anime fans anywhere near me :( which sux
i would hit you ,but i dont wanna get any douchbag on my hands :P
Jul 17, 2010 8:34 AM

Jun 2010
women that i know that watch the same anime as me usually have same sort of opinions on them so im going to say yes we get on but maybe thats just my situation :P

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Jul 17, 2010 12:22 PM

Jun 2010
yes, just look at those group cosplays out there.
Jul 17, 2010 12:26 PM

Jan 2010
n01kaizerm said:

There is a really "cheesy-factor" in Mobile Suit Gundam, and perhaps a little in ZZ Gundam, but I find 80s anime to be incredibly serious and dark compared to the stuff we watch today. Actually, I find that bit of "realism" to be rather entertaining. Try watching stuff like Aura Battler Dunbine or Armored Trooper VOTOMS; they're definitely not trying to make any sort of "happy-happy" ending.

But I'm disappointed in general with Adult Swim. They either just show repeats of the same show over and over again or put on their "original programming" (Bleh). I mean sure, it's a nice way to get into anime. Without them, I would've probably never liked Inuyasha as a child, and looked on the internet about that stuff to find other interesting animes out there. But at the same time, they're generally showing stuff on late night television that is probably directed towards teens instead of "adults". :p

There are just so many dubs out there that Adult-Swim could be showing, yet they spend their time creating completely random "odd" shows that should probably never be on television. They get fairly good ratings with anime, but since they've quit making anime the biggest part of their program, I guess people prefer ish like repeats of Family Guy you can find anywhere on television. If they'd atleast take time to put interesting shows like the dub of Zeta Gundam; hell, put the damned dub of Aura Battler Dunbine on there and see any response. Who wouldn't want to watch a medieval anime with mecha? ;)

I'm all for helping people who primarily enjoy Bleach/Naruto/etc. into the world of anime. But they're rather stubborn. I'll suggest sites they can watch stuff that have no chance of becoming a dub or whatnot. But most of the time, they just refuse. I'll even suggest the stuff I think is "mediocre" (My definition is mindless fighting with very little character development and plot).

I might have to look those anime series up, now, I'm interested to see the difference between their tone. However, there are many series these days that don't have happy endings, or endings at all one way or another(deliberately or not).

Mindless fighting anime series are a plague with little depth to them, although I still have a soft spot for my first (DBZ), and Adult Swim is also guilty for shoving Bleach down people's throats, and in my opinion, giving people the wrong idea of anime.

Most "anime fan" females I come into contact with mostly get their taste from stuff like Inuyasha and Bleach, which sickens me, since I have low opinions of both. Needless to say, I don't relate much to those kinds of fans, and sadly, AS is helping create them. =P Even worse, like you said, Adult Swim's own programming they produce which all seem like the shoddy after-thoughts of a night of drunken binging.
Jul 17, 2010 1:44 PM

Mar 2010
I get along with my male anime friends just as well as my female anime watching friends. We all hang out once in a while and watch stuff, have a rant and a laugh. There's probably about a 50/50 split most weeks of male and female. Plus, most the girls I know almost exclusively watch/read shojou's, where as I like a lot of action too.
Jul 17, 2010 2:45 PM

Oct 2009
Oh right, forgot to mention; the girls I watch anime with in class also read tons of manga. And that includes yaoi stuff, sometimes I'm forced to read such material D:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2010 4:23 PM

Jun 2010
There definitely girls that I got along with who watch seinen,mecha,sci-fi,shounen animes that I watch there were even girls that I got to know that even watch Hellsing.......all I can say....Freakin Epic! ^_^
Jul 17, 2010 4:32 PM

Jun 2009
i dont see why not
Jul 17, 2010 4:33 PM

Feb 2010
I have a female friend who likes anime and I talk to her... she's kind of a poser yaoi fag though, but whatever. :P
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 7 minutes ago

0 by MillerEvans23 »»
7 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

18 by Maou_heika »»
15 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

74 by Kruszer »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » Which one do you prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 49 minutes ago

2 by KayKimii »»
27 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Today

24 by Toooooooooohru »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.