Forum Settings
Forums

Discuss books you are currently reading now? (MANGA EXCLUDED)

New
Pages (114) « First ... « 112 113 [114]
Sep 15, 2023 1:09 PM
Jul 2018
Currently been reading If we were villains by M.L.Rio, by far it does have a (lots, at least for me) similarites to The Secret History by Donna Tartt, yet I think I need to read The Secret History again to see if I'm right...
Other books that I'm trying to start reading are:
The Karamazov Brothers by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Beloved by Toni Morrison
Kanae Minato The Confessions
and adding to that two more books related to psychology...
Sep 15, 2023 11:58 PM

Jul 2014
Salem's Lot by Stephen King. Roughly a quarter of the way through and it's brilliant stuff. Very rich with atmosphere and I love the characters.
Take care of yourself

Sep 16, 2023 2:07 PM

Aug 2017
Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Sep 26, 2023 8:41 AM

Apr 2011
I've been thinking of starting the Mistborn series for a while now. Just got caught in the Mushoku Tensei bug, but now that I've caught up to it....... I still have Overlord vol 15. I suppose once I'm done iwith that, I'll get started on Mistborn.
Sep 26, 2023 8:48 AM

Jul 2014
I just started reading House of Leaves. I've had this book for years, but it wasn't until I backseat gamed to the Diablo mod of My House that I finally sat down and opened it.
Apart from that, I'm on my 700th re-read of Our Happy Time. It's my all-time favorite book, so I read it at least once a year hoping that will be the year where the ending changes.
Oct 26, 2023 11:20 PM
Jul 2018
Just finished:
In Memoriam by Alice Winn. Passionate, intricate, moving and stomach-turning. One of my favorite historical romances I've read this year.

Currently reading:
The Power of the Dog by Savage, Thomas.

Oct 28, 2023 1:53 PM

Aug 2021
The Guest List by Lucey Foley msytery type book ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2023 2:33 AM

Feb 2019
You said manga excluded, not LNs, so Wataoshi.
Oct 31, 2023 12:45 AM
Jul 2018
Alexander Pushkin's Eugene Onegin, translated by James E. Falen from the Oxford World's Classics.
Oct 31, 2023 7:02 AM

Jul 2021
I read 'Flowers for Algernon' earlier today and I'm not sure if I can emotionally recover

Nov 4, 2023 11:40 AM

Feb 2020
The War In 2020 by Ralph Peters
Pretty much the whole world is at war, primarily USA & USSR vs Japan & Islamic Republic (from what I can gather?), plus there's a pandemic also wiping everyone out (a time traveller clearly wrote this).
I'm maybe about halfway through the book, but It's still not clear why any of this happened, feels like a sequel book or something? but it's not. A few too many characters and pointless side-stories also.
Nov 10, 2023 6:41 AM

Jan 2023
I started reading "Sabbia Nera" by Cristina Cassar Scalia. Police thriller in Palermo, Italy.
I like this style of books, we'll see how it goes.

@ScatteredCat
I read 'Flowers for Algernon' earlier today and I'm not sure if I can emotionally recover

Ohh, nice book. Charlie Gordon, what a guy.
Nov 11, 2023 6:48 AM

Feb 2016
I read the 1st book in the Otherland series, by Tad Williams. I only liked half the chapters.
その目だれの目?
Nov 27, 2023 4:14 AM
Jul 2018
Just started A Season in Hell by Arthur Rimbaud, preface by Patti Smith.
Dec 3, 2023 9:36 PM
Dec 2023
Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
Dr Apj Abdul Kalam
Dec 4, 2023 8:12 AM

Nov 2018
Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
˗ˏˋ ꒰ ♡ ꒱ ˎˊ˗ 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓊𝓂 𝓈𝒾𝑔 𝒷𝓎 𝓂𝑒! | ━─━────༺༻────━─━ | 𝑜𝓀𝒶𝒶-𝓈𝒶𝓃 𝑜𝓃𝓁𝒾𝓃𝑒 wise ˗ˏˋ ꒰ ♡ ꒱ ˎˊ˗
Dec 10, 2023 5:56 PM

Oct 2015
playground - aron beauregard, i'm only a few chapters in and it's kinda silly so far, but i found it
through tiktok and i see a lot of creators talk about it, maybe as i keep reading the book will get better ?_?
⠀     ‧     ⠀
Dec 11, 2023 11:43 PM

Dec 2023
White by Bret Easton Ellis and the Warrior Cats books!!
Dec 12, 2023 8:46 PM

May 2020
Among others The Witcher series. But, i only made it like halfway thru the first book yet.
っ◔◡◔)っ ♥Average gamer and anime enjoyer♥
Dec 17, 2023 12:41 PM
Jun 2022
Reply to ScatteredCat
@ScatteredCat I have heard highly about that book, how would you describe it?
Dec 18, 2023 10:03 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to Ylajalii
@ScatteredCat I have heard highly about that book, how would you describe it?
@Ylajalii I am not the individual you are asking, but having read the story myself twice it is a work of science fiction that touches on several themes, alienation, sentimentality, and understanding the most memorable of these. It is a pretty work - the original version was a short story. It aligns much with other bittersweets such as Anthem or The Giver.

@Moogal12 That is a fun fantasy series. I enjoy Mr. Sapkowski's grounded style of writing. I am picky about magic as a literary element in any work of fiction, but his depictions were fine. I found his presentation of monsters and mythological creatures enchanting, ideal for the contexts he would write for them, giving Geralt something interesting to do. He had penned some compelling antagonists too. Much of the dialogue was clear, dry, but purposeful and intentioned to move events forward. It is a good series. I would recommend it.

I've been reading Sir Walter Scott's The Talisman most recently. Romantic prose, elegantly composed scenes, fine and sparse dialogue. It is an enjoyable book thus far.
Dec 19, 2023 1:34 AM
Jun 2022
Thanks. I'll read it when I finish other works I have in my list. Also, the other works you mention what's their author?
Dec 19, 2023 11:31 AM

Jul 2023
Reply to Ylajalii
Thanks. I'll read it when I finish other works I have in my list. Also, the other works you mention what's their author?
@Ylajalii Anthem is authored by Ayn Rand, who is most usually known for her authorship of Atlas Shrugged and/or The Fountainhead, but sometimes her philosophical works too, which I confess to never having a remote inclination towards reading. The Giver was a more recent (or past 30 years, anyway) novel written by Lois Lowry. As I understand it, The Giver became something of a series after the first novel's celebrated reception, but I never continued beyond book 1 as it seemed a complete work to me.
Dec 19, 2023 2:23 PM
Jun 2022
I hate Ayn Rand, though I'll have to read those book you mentioned. Another thing, do you have book recommendations? I kinda feel burned of the books I'm reading.
Dec 19, 2023 3:12 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to Ylajalii
I hate Ayn Rand, though I'll have to read those book you mentioned. Another thing, do you have book recommendations? I kinda feel burned of the books I'm reading.
@Ylajalii I do not know what you like, dislike, or are otherwise bored by. I doubt all of what interests me would readily captivate another either, as I balance fiction reading out with biographical works, commentaries, historical and scholarly works, and so on and so forth, and some of that is admittedly very dry - informative, but dry.

What kind of books do you enjoy reading? Any particular genres strike your fancy? Are you in search of something with a particular style? What have you been reading that you have grown tired of reading?
Dec 20, 2023 5:01 AM
Jun 2022
My favourite type of works are mostly about lonely idealistic/altruistic outsiders whose ideals or values turn them into madness. Some examples are Notes from the Underground, The sorrows of young Werther, or Frankenstein. I'm getting bored of these type of novels, since the ones that I am reading don't have the quality or the great execution the first ones I read had.

I also like revenge plots, tragic romance and novels about people who try to achieve greatness, but with a certain degree of madness or deliriums.

My mal favourites can also give you an idea.
Dec 20, 2023 9:55 AM

Feb 2016
@Ylajalii
I'm not interested in most of the stuff you read, but I can think of a few things you might like.

Hashihime of the Old Book Town is a visual novel that I feel resembles Tatami Galaxy, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and xxxholic.

Osamu Tezuka was a huge fan of Goethe. He drew manga versions of Faust and also referenced Young Werther in Phoenix. Of the manga I've read, I recommend Barbara.
https://myanimelist.net/manga/5402/Barbara

The Edge Chronicles is a long fantasy series I like to shill. Vox Verlix and Linius Pallitax are a couple of characters likely to appeal to you. A good staring point is "The Curse of the Gloamglozer," a story in the vein of Frankenstein.

Garth Nix was my favorite fantasy author as a kid. To you, I recommend his sci-fi book Shade's Children.

I saw that @Longnines mentioned The Giver, so I will say I think Gathering Blue is the better book. It's not a sequel so much as a 2nd story set in the same world.
その目だれの目?
Dec 21, 2023 5:04 PM

Aug 2021
rereading westing game
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2023 3:52 AM

Dec 2023
Discuss books you are currently reading now?

The Case of the Perfect Maid - Agatha Christie
The Third-floor Flat - Agatha Christie
The Image in the Mirror - Dorothy Sayers
The Red-headed League - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Since I read and loved Masters of Death I'm reading The Atlas Six by Olivie Blake.
Taschen's Van Gogh, the Complete Paintings.
The Iliad and the Odyssey - Homer
The Key to Rondo - Emily Rodda
The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind - William Kamkwamba
Dec 25, 2023 12:00 AM

Jul 2015
the master and margarita by mikhail bulgako
Pages (114) « First ... « 112 113 [114]

More topics from this board

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - Apr 18

9 by Enderobot »»
4 minutes ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7593 by MalchikRepaid »»
1 hour ago

» Favorite Non-Anime Shows/Movies

EverRealm - Yesterday

2 by Spunkert »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » share your latest song/album purchases

DreamingBeats - Nov 3, 2023

39 by dreamingneon »»
6 hours ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now

tsukareru - Apr 26

12 by dreamingneon »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.