Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2008 4:22 PM

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
man, its been almost 2 months since the last chapter and pretty much everything is greek to me now XD

Anyways, the chapter was great none the less. things are slowly matching up. and how bout that cliffhanger with Rena dn Takumi.
Apr 28, 2008 8:11 PM

Jul 2007
Certainly a great chapter, the wait was killer though. Quite the cliffhanger I must say, things are certainly getting more interesting to say the least.
Apr 29, 2008 1:48 AM

Aug 2007
Now really the whole time I was thinking that Takumi was a badass who loves all the women exept Hachi and now we see that they have got 2 kids (!), then he misses his family and moust of all he loves his wife and etc.. Now that's what I am talking about! I love the new Takumi ^^ But the thing that was really thriting me was the name of the kids... Ren... and then Reira is talking to herself telling to Ren to answer. Omg, i discussed about it with someone and I think that something terrible happened to Ren, that explains why nana run to Englnad or somewhere else (don't remember)...
Apr 29, 2008 2:03 AM

Dec 2007
I'm so happy to see that the "little" Ren is takumi & Hachi's child!!! (^__^)
And now I think that Takumi really cares for Hachi & that he really loves her ^^
Now I'm totally sure that Ren (the big lol) is dead >__>
I read again vol18 with this idea in head and all the things was connecting: when Hachi, Nobu & Yasu talks about big Ren, there is a sad silence, when they are talking about the pics with, Nana Hachi said that it's Ren who bring them like a gift for Christmas, again they looks so sad. Furthermore, They are looking for a bar near the sea so I think Ren died in the sea coz Nana always looking in the sea like she wants to die for him and in this chapter when Reira was "talking" to Ren, she cried and they shows the sea... Plus, Hachi & Takumi were talking about Ren in the phone, now we can see they talk about their child "little" Ren (again his name in memory of Ren???) and If I don't mistaken there were a pic of big Ren in Hachi's house... HE'S DEAD!!! T__T

What do you think??

PS: I LOOOVE TAKUMI!! *__*
KhaizApr 29, 2008 2:22 AM
Apr 29, 2008 2:41 AM
Jul 2007
*nod agree. i was thinkin along the same lines in order to make sense of things....specially naming their kid Ren, would be a bit weird unless it was in memory
Apr 29, 2008 12:40 PM

May 2007
yayyayaya so i guess ppl can stop speculating that little ren is takumi's and reira's kid >.<
great chapppp so now to wait another month for the next chap to come out XP haha
Apr 29, 2008 1:30 PM

May 2007
Oh man I didn't expect Takumi and Hachi to have another child! That was a good surprise I must say... and I love how Takumi cares for his children and family. <3
But omg, what's going to happen to Ren? Now that he wants to leave Trapnest... So much foreshadowing...! x__x''

Apr 29, 2008 6:22 PM

Jan 2007
I'm kind of pissed that it's Hachi and Takumi's baby and that he seems to be such a good dad. It's hard to hate him when he's acting like that. :/

At first I thought Nana was the one who might have died (before we found out that she'd run away and disappeared), but Ren being dead does seem to fit...although, he was alive when they met up back at 708 in that one chapter. Or at least, he was mentioned as being expected, and I doubt they'd expect him to show up if he was dead.

omg Ai Yazawa...I need to know!
Apr 30, 2008 10:09 PM

Apr 2008
ren being dead, considering the drug use we're now seeing more of, seems totally viable. there has to be a pretty major catalyst to have driven nana o away anyway and the two people she holds dearest are ren and hachi, since we know hachi's fine, that leaves...
May 1, 2008 5:47 PM

Jan 2008
but.. but... ren can't be dead... wasn't he one of the group that was looking for nana in france or wherever it was? Dx i'm pretty sure i'll cry very hard if ren does wind up dead x.x
May 4, 2008 8:25 PM

Oct 2007
it all makes sense now.

I was getting SO confused between sachiko/satsuki... but now they explained that ren named her....

wait so baby ren is also hachi and takumi's kid? somehow i didn't really get that... or think that. i mean sure they said "nana will want to take him back" but it still could be the child of reira and takumi, but hachi takes care of him sort of deal.

though, thats probably me being stubborn... since i dont want hachi and takumi to have a sucessful marriage. i'm still rooting for hachi and nobu.... and i WILL be dissappointed if it doesnt end that way XD

I am almost positive now that ren dies. because all those times hachi asked "hows ren doing" on the phone to takumi, she was reffering to baby ren. And why give baby ren that name ? it only makes sense if ren dies. And with this drug problem he has, and the fact he's quitting trapnest, it all just seems to be coming together. I have a feeling he will die from drug overdose, like Sid Vicious (sex pistols) did... but knowing ai yazawa she'll probably be a little more creative :3

Theres still some stuff that needs explanation, but for the most part i feel like i see where this is heading.

edit: interesting little theory i read on a different site. Maybe Satsuki is actually nana's child. Hachi wont leave tokyo to be with takumi because she's waiting for nana to come back to her and satsuki. If they found nana, then hachi would have a reason to go to london. Though there are so many ways to counter this theory i thought it was an interesting point :P
katsupMay 5, 2008 10:14 AM
May 5, 2008 5:26 PM

Jan 2008
katsup said:

edit: interesting little theory i read on a different site. Maybe Satsuki is actually nana's child. Hachi wont leave tokyo to be with takumi because she's waiting for nana to come back to her and satsuki. If they found nana, then hachi would have a reason to go to london. Though there are so many ways to counter this theory i thought it was an interesting point :P

huh... that actually makes sense in a twisted way...
May 5, 2008 8:23 PM

May 2007
katsup said:
wait so baby ren is also hachi and takumi's kid? somehow i didn't really get that... or think that. i mean sure they said "nana will want to take him back" but it still could be the child of reira and takumi, but hachi takes care of him sort of deal.

I think it is Hachi's kid because Hachi told Nana that she wants her children to be named after flowers...and she also asked her if she knows other flower name for a boy other than Ren. I think it's kind of hinting that it is Hachi's kid after all... and she didn't find any other flower name for a boy than Ren.
I dunno. I might be wrong though.

May 5, 2008 8:57 PM

Aug 2007
One thing for sure, when it comes to Ai Y. we are not good at predicting. The whole time i thought that the child could be even Shins but not Hachis and BANG it is !!! And then Takumi loves HACHI... Anyway, it's useless to predict XDDDDDD
May 5, 2008 9:16 PM

May 2007
Lol I agree Oksi-chan... I mean back in the day when they still lived in apartment 707, I thought Hachi is really gonna get rid of Takumi and live happily ever after with her new prince Noubo, and then BAM! she's freaking pregnant, Noubo runs away from responsibility and suddenly Takumi proposes... That came at a total surprise at me. XDD Did. Not. Expect. XD Plus I thought I would hate Takumi so much but now I just love his complicated character >3<'
So yeah NANA is the kind of manga you just hafta wait and see what happens. XP

May 5, 2008 9:27 PM

Oct 2007
NoyaChan said:

I think it is Hachi's kid because Hachi told Nana that she wants her children to be named after flowers...and she also asked her if she knows other flower name for a boy other than Ren. I think it's kind of hinting that it is Hachi's kid after all... and she didn't find any other flower name for a boy than Ren.
I dunno. I might be wrong though.

I thought it was nana, not hachi, who was narrating the "So ren wants to name his child after a flower. I never knew that. The newly opened sake is churning in my stomach.... blah blahblah" since i doubt hachi would be drinking alcohol while she was pregnant. I mean, hachi only took ren's advice for the name satsuki because she said that she would give the baby whatever name ren decided.

oh, but its so fun to try and predict NANA, because if you predict things right it feels so awesome XD.... hahaa.
May 5, 2008 9:44 PM

May 2007
Lol katsup this is the part that I was referring to:
http://www.onemanga.com/Nana/74/22/

Look at the buttom of this page, Hachi is saying...
"But very few names of flowers are suitable for boys... is there any name like 'Ren' where the pronunciation is changeable?"

So I kind of thought that she would want flower names for all of her kids whether it was a boy or a girl. x3

May 5, 2008 9:54 PM

Oct 2007
yeah, i know that hachi said that, but i thought that the whole reason hachi was using a name that ren made was because she wanted a better name than "sachiko" and ren said he would help her in chapter 73, and hachi said "Ren promised to help me name my baby. I'll use whatever name he suggests, even if its 'tama-chan'. I didn't think she would use "flowers" for the names of all her children, just the one she was pregnant with at the time. That's how i saw it at least ^^

Oh, while we're talking about ren's names... on the last page of ch 73 hachi (i'm assuming) says "Nana, I hope you will call out to me with the cute name that ren gave". I don't really get that. Is it referring to the name "satsuki"? I wonder what Nana's relationship to satsuki would be though, aside from the fact that it is hachi's child... Why does NANA have to be so ambiguous and vague sometimes....
May 5, 2008 10:07 PM

May 2007
Oh man, I have no clue then. I just really want to belive that it's Hachi's kid then. Since Noubu already left her I don't want Takumi to have some other connections with other women.... rawr. XD
But anyway yeah NANA is so... mysterious sometimes I have no idea in what direction the manga is going and what it's refering to. Like I said I guess we'll hafta just wait and see what happens.
But I really fear for Ren, I don't want anything bad to happen to him. Though all the clues till now point out in the direction of death...*shudders* I don't want Ren to die ;___;'

May 15, 2008 10:23 AM

Apr 2008
guys, actually it was REN who said he wanted to name all his children after flowers. that's why he so readily came up with the name satsuki, he was probably saving it for one of his own.

and though all the signs point to something fishy happening to ren, i just remembered something pretty obvious. when hachi gets those pictures of blonde!nana singing in the pub or wherever, someone says it might have been ren who left them.

i guess things will make sense eventually, but geez.

as for little ren possibly being reira's, that i thought at first but am no longer sure of. he refers to her by first name, not to mention both takumi and naoki make references to him going back to japan, presumably to go back to hachi and satsuki. besides the fact that i don't think nana k is THAT much of a pushover to raise some other broad's kid, when reira's talking about him, she says she always wanted to destroy everything takumi held precious except for little ren. doesn't seem very motherly to me.
May 18, 2008 12:35 PM

Mar 2008
I am so confused. I should re-read.
May 25, 2008 7:24 PM

Mar 2008
ultrarealism said:
I am so confused. I should re-read.

I was too, then I had to re-read some parts to get it
Ahh, I don't want ren to be dead:(
But it makes sense when you think about it
He does seem so depressed(in previous chapters) Maybe all the stress from the band and nana and such made him...do it purposefully
Or perhaps it was just an accident
Still, i can' STAND not knowing.
Ahh Ren is one of my favourite characters:( I hope he isn't dead. Maybe like in a coma or something, then he'll magically and miraculously awakens and Nana is there:D...yea i know highly unlikely but I don't want him dead : (
hkatMay 25, 2008 7:29 PM
May 25, 2008 7:37 PM

Mar 2008
hounddog said:
I'm kind of pissed that it's Hachi and Takumi's baby and that he seems to be such a good dad. It's hard to hate him when he's acting like that. :/

At first I thought Nana was the one who might have died (before we found out that she'd run away and disappeared), but Ren being dead does seem to fit...although, he was alive when they met up back at 708 in that one chapter. Or at least, he was mentioned as being expected, and I doubt they'd expect him to show up if he was dead.

omg Ai Yazawa...I need to know!

That could possibly meant the other ren(little one:P)
but I wish it was right
be alive ren be alive!!
Jan 11, 2009 1:04 PM

Oct 2008
I looked at all the chapters again and yes, everything points out Ren's death, but there is just one suspicion (I found just one).

Chapter 66; "Hachi said she thought maybe Ren had snuck it into the mailbox." So, little Ren can't do it, 'cause a few pages earlier Hachi clearly said that little Ren is in London with Takumi. So, maybe, like Nana's situation, Ren's state is not uncertain either? I hope it is. -_-" But I feel like it isn't like that, maybe they were just trying to say "A miracle happened." or something like that.

And little Ren looks exactly like Shin. I still can't believe he's Hachi's and Takumi's son. -_-" Whatever, I should just read next chapters. -_-"
Jan 26, 2009 1:12 PM

Nov 2008
It's so unpredictable now, I love it!
And I'm really happy that I haven't caught up with the manga yet and I don't need to wait like 2 months to know what happens in the next chapter ^____^

Credits for the av go to whispering-eden.livejournal.com =)
I used to be Dolce_Vitka here, but Vitka_Lynx is my nickname at alost all other sites, so I decided to take it here, too ^___^
Jul 9, 2012 10:58 AM

May 2010
Maybe the kid is Nobu's?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 11, 2017 8:02 AM

Jan 2016
lol there is a fucking screw on Ren's hat

"you speak as though it's your own child"
"you never know, it could be mine"

LMAO
Sep 14, 2018 10:50 AM

Feb 2013
Ren wants to leave the band!
Jan 31, 2022 9:08 AM
Jan 2021
Lol, so the posters from way back finally catch on to Ren being dead in this chapter... It was already obvious from chap 71 (yazawa left clues all over the place) seriously why did'nt anybody catch on just from that chapter alone? They had like months in between chapters waiting for a new one and didnt figure it out till this chapter? I guess they just didnt want to assume the worst case scenario, but still I find that very weird If I had been reading this back then I totally wouldve dropped the bomb of ren being probably dead in chap 71's forum in 2008 lol.
Feb 22, 2022 3:48 PM
Dec 2020
To be honest, since the last chapter I've been thinking that I wouldn't be mad at all if Nana and Nana end up together. Takumi is toxic and cheats at every opportunity, and as much as I love Ren, he's dangerously unstable due to his addiction to drugs.

I know it probably won't happen, but I feel like Nana and Hachi would be happy to live together, and Nana Osaki wouldn't mind taking care of Sa-chan at all. To be honest, Hachi has better chemistry with Nana than with Takumi.
Sep 29, 2023 7:51 PM
Oct 2020
Ok Ren is definitely dead from drugs or something else right?

More topics from this board

Poll: » NANA Chapter 52 Discussion

Vitka_Lynx - Jan 19, 2009

11 by Safrichh »»
Yesterday, 3:26 PM

Poll: » NANA Chapter 51 Discussion

Vitka_Lynx - Jan 19, 2009

9 by Safrichh »»
May 10, 2:07 PM

Poll: » NANA Chapter 50 Discussion

accela - Jun 11, 2008

25 by Safrichh »»
May 9, 2:54 PM

Poll: » NANA Chapter 49 Discussion

so_addictive - Nov 10, 2008

9 by Safrichh »»
May 8, 1:58 PM

Poll: » NANA Chapter 48 Discussion

so_addictive - Nov 10, 2008

9 by Safrichh »»
May 5, 6:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.