Forum Settings
Forums
New
Yesterday, 9:07 AM
Aug 2013
Heyoo!

I just had a thought I hadn't in a long time. When I was younger there were a lot of people who just wrote their own stories with own characters and played with them.
RPG's, just between friends. I wrote a lot back then with my friends and it was always really funny to create characters, create a story and just play our own story!

Does anyone still do that?
Cause i kinda don't know anyone anymore who plays like that xD !
Yesterday, 9:14 AM

Feb 2020
Yeah, I also used to play those "real" RPGs with my friends when I was younger. Good old times. :)

I guess the whole thing isn't so popular nowadays.

SerafosYesterday, 9:19 AM
Yesterday, 9:18 AM
🎃tsukareta🎃

Feb 2018
never did that but i am sure there are some tabletop rpg gamers out there, it's a niche. You just gotta really find it. I thought you meant jrpg and got a bit excited. tch.
Resign? 🕊➤Yes / No Resign? Yes / ⚔➤No

Yesterday, 9:33 AM
white angel

Feb 2024
My friend still does that, I join sometimes, but it's mostly in dnd or shadowrun setting with some home rules, not canone (dnd 5e is shit tbh).
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Yesterday, 9:47 AM
Aug 2013
Reply to Serafos
Yeah, I also used to play those "real" RPGs with my friends when I was younger. Good old times. :)

I guess the whole thing isn't so popular nowadays.

@Serafos Isn't it kinda sad that that died? These times were just so awesome!
Yesterday, 9:48 AM
Aug 2013
Reply to tsukareru
never did that but i am sure there are some tabletop rpg gamers out there, it's a niche. You just gotta really find it. I thought you meant jrpg and got a bit excited. tch.
@tsukareru Oh, sorry xD Do you really think, I'll be able to find some? It would be pretty cool to do that again someday :3
Yesterday, 9:49 AM
Aug 2013
Reply to LoveYourSmile
My friend still does that, I join sometimes, but it's mostly in dnd or shadowrun setting with some home rules, not canone (dnd 5e is shit tbh).
@LoveYourSmile DND and these games are not what I meant with RPG, it's like writing a own story like a book :3 But thanks!
Yesterday, 9:53 AM
🎃tsukareta🎃

Feb 2018
VanniePon said:
@tsukareru Oh, sorry xD Do you really think, I'll be able to find some? It would be pretty cool to do that again someday :3

hehe. Your best chances are to get into some tabletop online forums and then try to connect with them and see if there is any set up for tabletop games in your area.
Resign? 🕊➤Yes / No Resign? Yes / ⚔➤No

Yesterday, 10:03 AM
Aug 2013
Reply to tsukareru
VanniePon said:

hehe. Your best chances are to get into some tabletop online forums and then try to connect with them and see if there is any set up for tabletop games in your area.
It would be really nice to try it out again tbh :3 Thank you!
Yesterday, 10:06 AM

Sep 2024
In some countries, it was never even a thing to begin with.
I only learned about Tolkien and TTRPGs much later in life when visiting other countries (not that any of that ever triggered my interest).

My conclusion is that it was only a thing for an American/Tolkien-based audience.

It's funny I remember my school library was filled with various Science Fiction (hell, there was even Adult Science Fiction as well)...
...but never once I bumped into anything Fantasy-based. (later found out that the Fantasy genre was taboo and considered a Regressed Fiction)
Yesterday, 10:10 AM
Aug 2013
Reply to Exhumatika
I only learned about Tolkien and TTRPGs much later in life when visiting other countries (not that any of that ever triggered my interest).

My conclusion is that it was only a thing for an American/Tolkien-based audience.

It's funny I remember my school library was filled with various Science Fiction (hell, there was even Adult Science Fiction as well)...
...but never once I bumped into anything Fantasy-based. (later found out that the Fantasy genre was taboo and considered a Regressed Fiction)
I don't even remember how my friends got into it, but somehow it just started o.o

That's awesome! Our school library didn't have any Science Fiction books at all, as far as I can remember
Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Feb 2020
Reply to VanniePon
@Serafos Isn't it kinda sad that that died? These times were just so awesome!
@VanniePon It's sad indeed.

I still have my old dices left from my childhood.

Yesterday, 10:19 AM

Sep 2024
@VanniePon, Science Fiction was a thing in the 70s/80s/90s

But idk in which country you attended your school and in what decade.
Yesterday, 10:23 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Exhumatika

Exhumatika said:

Even among Americans it must have been regional or generational, because I never knew anyone who partook in such activities.

Exhumatika said:

Wow, you guys didn't even have Harry Potter? Those were huge here.
その目だれの目?
Yesterday, 10:24 AM
Aug 2013
Reply to Serafos
@VanniePon It's sad indeed.

I still have my old dices left from my childhood.

Nice! We never played with dices if I remember back xD
Yesterday, 10:25 AM
Aug 2013
Reply to Exhumatika
@VanniePon, Science Fiction was a thing in the 70s/80s/90s

But idk in which country you attended your school and in what decade.
I am old xD
In Austria and in like... 2010 we played it a lot?
Yesterday, 10:31 AM

Sep 2024
@Lucifrost: "Wow, you guys didn't even have Harry Potter? Those were huge here."

Nope, it was not even a thing back then.
And for me, Harry Potter didn't trigger my interest even later when I learned about it.
Yesterday, 10:37 AM

Sep 2016
Never did that and probably never will.
Yesterday, 10:57 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Exhumatika
@Lucifrost: "Wow, you guys didn't even have Harry Potter? Those were huge here."

Nope, it was not even a thing back then.
And for me, Harry Potter didn't trigger my interest even later when I learned about it.
@Exhumatika
I see. I'm not old enough to remember a time before Harry Potter, which means fantasy has been mainstream my entire life. But Harry Potter is not an RPG, obviously.
その目だれの目?
Yesterday, 10:59 AM

Sep 2018
I lacked friends after High-school so I never got into it. I just mostly did videogames instead.
Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Sep 2024
Reply to Lucifrost
@Exhumatika
I see. I'm not old enough to remember a time before Harry Potter, which means fantasy has been mainstream my entire life. But Harry Potter is not an RPG, obviously.
I've played Icewind Dale 1/2 and Planescape Torment back in the day
(that's pretty much the pinnacle in my opinion of the best Fantasy RPGs ever made, and that's enough for me)

But, If I have to choose the best RPG nowadays it'll be >UnderRail, it's not Fantasy but it's better than any Fantasy game for me (although I still haven't finished it, been playing this one for a few years now [from time to time] and still haven't beaten it, lol)

9 hours ago
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
DnD is still pretty popular. As far as making up your own adventures and acting it out, I suppose kids do less of it, but that will never fully go away.
4 hours ago

Dec 2013
This is probably the best RP club in MAL in every aspects:
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=82819

You can see more detail about the club and gaming system here:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1934193#msg63641151

1 hour ago
Aug 2013
Reply to Kwanthemaster
DnD is still pretty popular. As far as making up your own adventures and acting it out, I suppose kids do less of it, but that will never fully go away.
But it's not like DnD what we played back then :3
1 hour ago
Aug 2013
Reply to philtecturophy
This is probably the best RP club in MAL in every aspects:
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=82819

You can see more detail about the club and gaming system here:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1934193#msg63641151

Woah! That sounds like fun x3
Thank you!!

More topics from this board

» What do you do on your birthday when you mid 20s?

swirlydragon - 19 minutes ago

2 by Jellybeanx »»
11 minutes ago

» Are there any Male MAL users here?

tsukareru - 5 hours ago

8 by tsukareru »»
12 minutes ago

» Are there actually any female MAL-users?

MyllerPhiem - 12 hours ago

16 by Jellybeanx »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » like attracts like or opposites attract

deg - 7 hours ago

5 by Jellybeanx »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » law of attraction aka we attract what we focus on and is link with self fulfilling prophecy

deg - 7 hours ago

12 by Vendicator »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.