Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 29, 6:33 PM

Jul 2023
Exactly one month ago it marked the 11th anniversary of the airdate of this show's final episode, which was pretty much a 20 minute trailer for a second season that, as we all know, never happened.

Considering the somewhat lasting relevance of the manga in Japan (even if not very big), with a stage play and even a Live-action film in 2019, it's quite interesting how forgotten the Anime adaptation has become.

Indeed, the extremely controversial animation style pretty much stunted the chances of this adaptation ever being succesful, specially given that the manga readers, who are vital in advertising and spreading awareness of adaptations for somewhat niche manga like Aku no Hana, had an overwhelmingly negative reaction towards the aesthetic choices of the adaptation regarding it's animation, the anime was doomed into being memory holed, never to be remembered again.

Today, with the chances of a second season or an OVA being deader than dead, i'd say it's massively more likely for this to get a remake, which is still not likely, than a second season, specially given that in Japan the manga has stayed relevant enough to get new adaptations every once in a while (like the 2019 film, for example).

Thoughts?
Jul 29, 7:37 PM
Nov 2019
Yeah I doubt a remake of this would ever happen or at least not anytime soon. In fact, Shuzo Oshimi’s works being adapted in general is probably low in risk due to how controversial some of his mangas are. But it’s still possible.
Jul 29, 7:41 PM

Nov 2015
i would prefer adaptation of other work by the same author. Ive encounter some of them in YouTube videos and they still haunt me.
Jul 29, 9:23 PM
Sep 2021
this is why MAL forums suck. manga readers liked the anime adaptation.
Jul 30, 1:37 AM

Apr 2018
anime was okay spare the final ep. Shuzou is a great author with highly disturbing themes.. i recommend you to rather read his works. the chance for the adaptation of his other stories is slim.
“You are not alone, Ash. I am with you. My soul is with you.” - Eiji Okumura.
Jul 30, 2:10 AM
Dec 2022
just read the manga man.
Jul 30, 2:31 AM

Sep 2016
What the hell??? This doesn't need a remake!!! It just needs a sequel... that should also be rotoscoped like the 1st season.
Jul 30, 3:17 AM

Jul 2021
It's not surprising the anime didn't become popular, just look at how ugly it is.
But most likely you'll just have to watch the movie, or read the manga.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 30, 5:17 AM

Jul 2023
@k42uy4 i'm not asking whether or not it should get a remake, but rather just the financial/commercial/economic/etc... possibility of it ever getting one

i'd say that the window for it to plausibly get a second season has long since passed, 11 years is just too long, even Mushishi only had to wait 8 years for it to get a second season

also, if another AnH anime project ever got greenlit again i wouldnt be surprised if the production companies placed a big "NO ROTOSCOPING" sign in their meeting room considering that it was the main reason for the show's commercial failure, they probably wouldnt want anything to do with that ever again
MyAntonioListJul 30, 5:20 AM
Jul 30, 5:39 AM

Sep 2016
MyAntonioList said:
also, if another AnH anime project ever got greenlit again i wouldnt be surprised if the production companies placed a big "NO ROTOSCOPING" sign in their meeting room considering that it was the main reason for the show's commercial failure, they probably wouldnt want anything to do with that ever again

So it failed because the most of the audience was unable to recognize and appreciate high effort animation.

Understood...
Jul 30, 9:25 AM

Apr 2020
Why does it need one?

While different and hated, by some people, the style is pretty unique and the Show is kinda known for that
Jul 30, 1:16 PM

May 2021
I’d kill for a sequel to animate the rest of the manga in the same style.

Effectively has a 0% of happening though which sucks. Idk if this is true but I heard the blu-ray only sold in the double digits 😭
Jul 30, 9:30 PM
Aug 2021
Anime was pretty good, What I want is a second season
Jul 30, 11:13 PM

Jun 2022
well , I am content with just a single season . for more , reading manga is a option but I had enough of it . I doubt mc will change his annoying attitude , so am good .
Aug 1, 4:12 AM
Sep 2022
for it's genre, the author is top of the list rn, rivaling Inio Asano. Chances are pretty good considering their booming popularity recently. Best chances are from seinen powerhouse studios.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

137 by JavanyXD »»
Oct 14, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

121 by JavanyXD »»
Oct 14, 6:02 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2013

254 by JavanyXD »»
Oct 14, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2013

175 by JavanyXD »»
Oct 14, 3:47 PM

» Aku no Hana is probably not getting a second season so...

iiKrina - Apr 17, 2014

33 by MyAntonioList »»
Jul 29, 6:15 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.