Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 2, 2:16 PM
Jun 2024
Hiya

I wanted to give some battle shonen manga a go, but I've heard alot of them girls are reduced to tsudare character tropes or fan service.

Do they give girls good roles in one piece? Doesn't have to be with fighting, just there useful in some ways and feel that have value in there character arcs?
Jul 2, 2:20 PM

Sep 2018
I would say most OP girls are well written characters. One Piece also has some guys that appeal to women like Zoro and Sanji.
Jul 2, 2:23 PM
Mar 2022
I do agree that one piece has its fair share of fan service for girls.

BUT most of the female cast is well written imo, especially the "main" female lead characters.

There are even a fair few females that are very powerful too :)
Jul 2, 2:37 PM
Jun 2024
thanks guys, the info is very helpful 😊

Jul 2, 2:40 PM
THE KING OF D
Feb 2018
One Piece has some very well written female characters, it also does have a decent amount of fanservice but the female characters are fantastic and if anything should get you more interested in the story, I'd say One Piece is definitely on the better side when it comes to female characters in shonen manga.

Enjoy One Piece!!!
Jul 2, 2:49 PM
Jun 2024
Bennyawesome said:
One Piece has some very well written female characters, it also does have a decent amount of fanservice but the female characters are fantastic and if anything should get you more interested in the story, I'd say One Piece is definitely on the better side when it comes to female characters in shonen manga.

Enjoy One Piece!!!

Hehe I'm giving it a little go, just finished chapter 1.

Luffy is adorable as a child :p

Jul 2, 2:54 PM
May 2023
I won't spoil you at all, but don't don't there plenty of girl power 🤗

there is lots of fan service, mainly post time skip, but there fan service for men and woman.

I love seeing zoro and sanji showing there body Hehe

there plenty of amazing girl characters who have massive roles and have good action, don't worry I like magical girl shows too and your like this.

One Piece is alot better then typically battle shonen for female characters? so enjoy :)
Jul 2, 5:10 PM
Jan 2021
they are certainly still not as good as the male character, and very sexualized, but Oda at least understands women and has far better female characters than Naruto
Jul 2, 6:03 PM
May 2024
There are plenty of well written and important girls in one piece, some very crucial to the main plot. However they do sometimes tend to be left behind a little. And if we are talking about the anime then Toei REALLY over sexualizes the female characters as the series go on, it's quite uncomfortable
Jul 3, 2:53 AM
Sep 2022
Robin >>>>>...>>>>> any one else.
Jul 3, 5:51 AM

Mar 2021
One Piece deffo has the best written female characters in shonen, maaaaybe behind Fullmetal, but it's still close second
Jul 3, 11:09 AM

Oct 2023
Women in One Piece unfortunately often get dismissed due to their overly sexualised designs. But Oda actually puts a lot of care and thought into how he writes these characters, especially in terms of how they act and interact with other characters.

I'd even go as far as to saying that some are incredibly complex. Boa Hancock for example who, even by the fandom, is often misunderstood.

Everyone gets their time to shine, both in and outside of battle.

I know it might sound like a tall task, but I'd say give the first 100 chapters a go and after the Arlong Park Arc you should have a pretty good idea how about how Ida writes female characters.
Jul 3, 12:22 PM
Feb 2022
Most women are well written characters but as a girl it becomes hard to ignore the way their bodies are portrayed, and how there are once in a while "perverted" scenes used as a joke. Outside of that, all of my favourite characters excluding Luffy are women, so all in all, it's better than in most other shonen I'd say
Jul 3, 2:11 PM

Apr 2020
They are 110% well written characters, can’t really say that they are well drawn though, especially after the time skip.
Jul 3, 2:41 PM
Dec 2023
The female characters and male characters in One Piece are equally well written. That said, there's a lot more sexualization for the girls than for the boys, unfortunately.
Jul 3, 11:29 PM

Feb 2021
sailorsaturn01 said:
Hiya

I wanted to give some battle shonen manga a go, but I've heard alot of them girls are reduced to tsudare character tropes or fan service.

Do they give girls good roles in one piece? Doesn't have to be with fighting, just there useful in some ways and feel that have value in there character arcs?

No, don’t listen to the others. PLEASE don’t watch or read one piece. It is very bad. Every character is bad, including the females. They have like one arc and then they go back to being tsundare no personality fan service.
Jul 3, 11:30 PM

Feb 2021
rohan121 said:
I would say most OP girls are well written characters. One Piece also has some guys that appeal to women like Zoro and Sanji.

No they aren’t well written at all.
Yesterday, 12:32 AM

Jul 2023
OP girls are far classy and well-build. We have Nami, Robin who have very strong back-story and solid characteristics better than other battle shounen. Beauty is another thing, can't argue.

Yesterday, 6:48 AM
Jan 2024
sailorsaturn01 said:
Hiya

they are just as good as the males
Yesterday, 9:46 AM
Jun 2024
just an update guys, I've just finished alabasta in the manga!!

I'm glad I gave this a chance! loved how great nami, vivi, robin etc have been to the story, I'm glad I took a risk.

This is a fun journey! ironically my favorite character so far is zoro.
Yesterday, 1:48 PM
Aug 2022
sailorsaturn01 said:
Hiya

The females are not lesser in this series. Plenty of different archetypes. But it is a manga boys/men and definitely sexualizes them. If that's not an issue for you then you'll be fine.
Yesterday, 6:04 PM

Feb 2017
I like the girls in it. One Piece doesn't have romance so in a way it avoids some of the typical tropes when it comes to female characters. Not really any dere's or anything like that, and it's pretty mild with fanservice for the most part too. The designs have big boobs I guess, but that isn't too bad with the manga. Toei made it worse in the anime, especially post time skip. for example:
JKKHYesterday, 6:12 PM

More topics from this board

» Is One Piece Bi-Weekly Now?

Mikasa - Jun 29

12 by DayRivia »»
Yesterday, 12:39 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 776 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2015

64 by KoniginElle »»
Yesterday, 5:52 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veronin - Nov 1, 2009

75 by evilcatboy »»
Jul 3, 4:18 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1119 Discussion

FMmatron - Jun 25

46 by PirateHasan »»
Jul 3, 12:45 PM

» New information about Fujitora's sword (SBS 109).

Mcdoclin - Jul 1

4 by strwrs1295 »»
Jul 2, 8:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.