18.8%
Ginga Tetsudou no Yoru [Night on the Galactic Railroad]
56.3%
32 votes
May 19, 5:01 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007

Rekka no Honoo [Flame of Recca]
Most people think that ninjas are a thing of the past, but Rekka Hanabishi wishes otherwise. Although he comes from a family that makes fireworks, he likes to think of himself as a self-styled, modern-day ninja. Sounds like fun, right? Maybe not. Rekka ends up in lots of fights because he once made the bold announcement that if someone can defeat him, he will become their servant.

Then one day, Rekka meets Yanagi Sakoshita, a gentle girl with the ability to heal any wound or injury. Their meeting sets off a chain of events, which culminate into a shocking discovery. Rekka is the last surviving member of a legendary ninja clan that was wiped out centuries ago. Even more astonishing than being an actual ninja, he also wields the power to control fire. What does this mean for Rekka? Who are these strange people after him and Yanagi? Find out in Rekka no Honoo!

Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregotozukai [The Kubikiri Cycle]
Due to a mysterious disease, the genius Iria Akagami has been forced by her family to stay in a mansion on the isolated Wet Crow's Feather Island with only a handful of maids. To keep herself entertained, Iria invites a variety of fellow geniuses to stay as guests in her home, including computer savant Tomo Kunagisa and her unnamed assistant, skilled fortune-teller Maki Himena, famous artist Kanami Ibuki, academic scholar Akane Sonoyama, and renowned cook Yayoi Sashirono.

These visits progress as normal until one of the guests is found gruesomely murdered in the night without a single clue as to the identity of the killer or a possible motive. Tensions rise between those on the island as the killer remains at large, and Tomo's assistant takes it upon himself to uncover the culprit's identity before the murderous events progress any further.

Ginga Tetsudou no Yoru [Night on the Galactic Railroad]
Giovanni is a young boy who lives on the outskirts of a small rustic village. His mother is bedridden and his father has not returned home since leaving to work on a fishing boat. An outcast at school, Giovanni has only one friend: Campanella, the mayor's son. During the town's Festival of Stars, Giovanni starts to daydream atop a hill and looks up to find a steam engine train floating in the air. He boards the train only to find his friend Campanella already there. And so, the two begin their journey through the stars where they come across unusual people and visit many beautiful and haunting places.

BrandJun 1, 5:34 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 19, 5:10 PM

May 2019
Night on the Galactic Railroad was a crazy beautiful movie <3
May 19, 5:15 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I admit I am letting Kubikiri Cycle in even though it has over 75k members. For something that has come out in the past decade, it only has around 100k members and that is pretty low. It currently has a rating of 7.77 which is pretty good. It also came out in the period when I was watching an absolute ton of anime and I don't remember hearing about this one.

On the other hand Night on the Galactic Railroad is one of my very earliest anime. I had this on a VHS tape in the 90s, a (surprisingly nice) bootleg DVD, and now the Blu-ray from Discotek. I would consider this one of my all-time favorite anime and all-time favorite movies. It is based on the book of the same name (the name gets translated a few different ways) by Kenji Miyazawa. This title is considered a classic of Japanese children's literature. This is an incredibly influential title in Japan. EX: Steam Trains going space is what inspired Leiji Matsumoto to create Galaxy Express 999. If you are interested you can read a translation of the book on the Internet Archive. LOL, as you can tell this is an anime that is very important to me. 😂
May 20, 7:59 AM

Mar 2013
Ginga Tetsudou no Yoru is splendid. A fantastic film in its own right as well as an incredible adaptation of a novel. Time travels differently when you watch this movie, it's like magic.
May 20, 9:41 AM
Mar 2022
No competition:
Ginga Tetsudou no Yoru

One of the best Japanese animated movies!
May 20, 2:04 PM
Phantom Thief

Jan 2012
this is super unfair to Flame of Recca.
Please let that title go to another round.
It aint fair at all to have anything compete with Ginga Tetsudou
May 20, 5:18 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Reply to Rage_Beat06
this is super unfair to Flame of Recca.
Please let that title go to another round.
It aint fair at all to have anything compete with Ginga Tetsudou
@Rage_Beat06 A title can always be suggested again so feel free.
May 30, 4:16 PM
Jul 2020
Recca is on my plan to watch, and since it was a recent add on a streaming platform, I may get to it somewhat soonish.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Anime - October 2024

Brand - Sep 15

0 by Brand »»
Sep 15, 12:36 PM

» September 2024 - Sol Bianca: The Legacy

Brand - Sep 2

2 by Brand »»
Sep 4, 1:29 AM

» August 2024 - Coo: Tooi Umi kara Kita Coo

Brand - Aug 4

1 by Brand »»
Aug 4, 3:54 PM

Sticky: » Suggest a Hidden Gem of Anime of the Month! ( 1 2 3 )

Brand - May 2, 2017

115 by Strukla »»
Jun 26, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Anime - July 2024

Brand - Jun 20

1 by FateXBlood »»
Jun 20, 10:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.