Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think Goodnight Punpun is a slice of life manga? (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

New
Do you think Goodnight Punpun is a slice of life manga?
May 13, 11:24 AM

Dec 2019
Punpun is the most popular SoL manga by far, but I have been debating whether it should have the tag or not.

The first half of Punpun does have a decent amount of SoL elements. We see a normal life of a seemingly normal kid with a bit of drama (and a hint that everything isn't normal with Punpun). But the second half takes a very dark turn, and it's impossible to call Punpun's life "normal" at this point. Everything has been completely derailed, and it's hard to call it a SoL manga there.

So, in my opinion, the first half of Punpun is a SoL, but the second half isn't. Therefore, I'm conflicted whether the whole thing is a SoL or not.

I'm curious what other people think about this.
May 13, 11:38 AM
Jul 2022
To me it was a **OH HELL NAHH** manga tbh.
May 13, 11:40 AM
Feb 2022
it turned edgy after the time skip
May 13, 11:41 AM
Dec 2020
It's a slice of life manga. Whether it's dark or not doesn't mean it's not a slice of life.

The story has a realistic representation of a kid who lives his life and suffers so much from social anxiety and lack of social skills, that it turns him insane.
InfernalizationMay 13, 12:02 PM
May 13, 11:49 AM

Aug 2018
It's definitely a slice of something, because damn, that second half is grim.
May 13, 12:00 PM
Mar 2021
I think it's a drama and psychological before been a s of l.
The fact that the character design of punpun was different from the rest makes it obvious from the get go that something is wrong. About how he perceives himself or how he's perceived by others, and all the events at home and with his friends makes it a dark and tragic story. Not your usual easy going, heart warming ride as s of l often are.
May 13, 12:20 PM
Sep 2022
Yes, it is (character limit)
May 13, 12:20 PM
Oct 2020
It’s a slice of life since it follows Punpun’s life from childhood to adulthood. That’s the main plot of the whole thing. It also includes psychological and drama elements. But it’s a slice of life throughout the whole anime, even if it’s dark or depressing.
May 13, 12:41 PM

Dec 2019
Reply to TrillJessie
It’s a slice of life since it follows Punpun’s life from childhood to adulthood. That’s the main plot of the whole thing. It also includes psychological and drama elements. But it’s a slice of life throughout the whole anime, even if it’s dark or depressing.
@TrillJessie I would have to ask what your definition of slice of life is. If your definition is just that it follows a character's life, then it would cover almost all stories since they follow a character's life. If your definition is that it follows a characters life from childhood to adult, that would be closer to a "coming of age" story, which Goodnight Punpun is, but it wouldn't include many stories like Usagi Drop (the anime) or Dragon Maid.
May 13, 12:52 PM
Oct 2020
fluffycow17 said:
@TrillJessie I would have to ask what your definition of slice of life is. If your definition is just that it follows a character's life, then it would cover almost all stories since they follow a character's life. If your definition is that it follows a characters life from childhood to adult, that would be closer to a "coming of age" story, which Goodnight Punpun is, but it wouldn't include many stories like Usagi Drop (the anime) or Dragon Maid.

It’s hard to define exactly, but for me, it’s an anime in which the main plot shows the ordinary daily life of someone in the real world. Punpun is an ordinary person who is living in our world. Yes he has a depressing life, but it isn’t an action or fantasy anime.
May 13, 12:59 PM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Not a classic SOL but definitely SOL, we literally accompany punpun through his life.
May 13, 3:16 PM

Nov 2016
Well it's been a good few years since I last read it but if I were to recommend it to someone I'd describe it as a coming of age drama before a slice of life with what I see slice of life enjoyers describe as their favorites.

Interestingly enough Punpun and many others seem to have either a drama or a comedy tag along with the slice of life tag while the site's definition says they're incompatible by definition. Seems like a fatal contradiction at first but most likely necessary since all stories offer a slice into the main character's life. Similiarly maybe a pure slice of life story would be hard to convey without elements of drama or comedy since they accompany regular life as well.

So personally not really but like you said in the opening post there are clearly elements of it. I ended up voting "No".
May 13, 3:35 PM
Dec 2020
-DxP- said:
Not a classic SOL but definitely SOL, we literally accompany punpun through his life.

its more than a slice tho…
May 13, 4:44 PM
Apr 2024
I think, actually in general more than 70% of this manga deals with heavy themes such as depression, family dysfunction, and the search for the meaning of life. But this manga also contains several everyday elements which makes the story feel relevant. Although it is filled with surreal and symbolic elements. That's why this manga can be included in the slice of life genre.

But overall, this manga shows the complex and complicated side of family problems, friendships and romantic relationships are complicated and facing the harsh realities of life. Even Punpun and the gang is often seen in a search for identity which is colored by a gloomy and pessimistic tone.

Looking at the theme and atmosphere, i always convinced that this manga is not a slice of life manga like in general, because more than 70% of the elements are more dark, depressing and pessimistic.
May 13, 8:34 PM

Mar 2020
It's a coming of age story. All of the scenes in Punpun serve a clear purpose and benefit a greater narrative, even if a vast majority of the scenes are mundane on their own.
May 13, 10:25 PM

Jan 2024
It is a slice-of-life, just more real than what is offered
May 14, 4:58 AM
Jul 2021
Reply to fluffycow17
@fluffycow17 I don't know about y'all over there but a slice of life to me is just a story that takes place in the real world or is possible to happen irl usually with no superpowers or anything crazy like that e.g a massive chunk of higurashi is a s.o.l. for punpun I imagine he's just a regular boy as no one made comments about him being a bird or just spawning pants out of no where when the situation calls I believe it's a stylistic choice meant to emphasize something.
May 15, 8:45 AM
Mar 2021
maybe slice of life, but only cause some sliced their life after reading
May 15, 11:08 AM
Jul 2021
I'd say it is more of a coming-of-age story than slice of life overall. Not that either are necessarily the right fit.
I don't remember if as said the beginning might have been slice of life, but it say that as you say, it not all the story is, and that isn't what it was meant to be.
Alioli360May 15, 11:14 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 147 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ale1212 - Nov 3, 2013

325 by _RAFI_ »»
May 22, 11:26 AM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 13, 2013

19 by Ctes »»
May 22, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 60 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2013

18 by Dragona_8002 »»
May 21, 5:16 PM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 50 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

skapuppet - Oct 18, 2009

114 by tcandy19 »»
May 10, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 48 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2013

20 by tcandy19 »»
May 10, 11:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.